Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like a good factual report --now you have something to work with. My leg length difference is mostly due to one side of my pelvis being shorter than the other. You can purchase shoe lifts on-line --my husband used to have them built into his shoes. We also can purchase shoes that are deep enough for different inserts to accommodate such problems. Hang in there -- I think you are doing really well :)
 
@Chihuahuan, before this last set of revision surgeries, the local hospital tried to make me some bespoke shoes but failed miserably. They never fitted and my back hurt wearing them. It took me days to get rid of the back pain after only wearing them for a short time. I am supposed to go back to them now and have a refit. They had 3 goes at it last time. That's why I think a gait analysis and good orthotics is the way to go first. I'd much prefer a full length lift as the heel raisers aren't very comfortable to wear.
 
I think this brand has footbeds that can be removed for differing leg lengths --don't know how much though…
broken link removed: https://www.footsmart.com/P-Drew-Womens-Bloom-II-Mary-Janes-71077.aspx?cm_vc=recs_pp2_rr&rrq=http%3A%2F%2Frecs.richrelevance.com%2Frrserver%2Fclick%3Fa%3D3819f42ba5137a3f%26vg%3D25b49bc1-0ea6-48a1-3e1b-9f51d67b28e3%26pti%3D1%26pa%3Dv1%26hpi%3D4147%26stn%3DCategorySiloedViewPurchaseCP%26rti%3D2%26sgs%3D%26u%3DvrG0Q4Fs27rshcSQ%26mvtId%3D0%26mvtTs%3D1405963980783%26uguid%3D25b39bc1-0ea6-48a1-3e1b-9f51d67b28e3%26channelId%3DWEB%26userAttribute%3D%257CIsClearance%253Afalse%257CIsSmartBuy%253Afalse%26s%3DmWPwDkpZXWAaLn3k%26pg%3D1904%26p%3D71077%26ind%3D2
 
Thanks @Chihuahuan i would need one of these shoes to put the raiser in but a 'normal' matching one for my left foot. The pair of shoes they made for me, the 'normal' one fitted fine, but the one with the raiser just didn't.
 
@busylizzie When I worked at a College of Osteopathic Medicine in Michigan my back issues were attributed to leg length discrepancies. Part of the testing involved X-rays to get accurate data --and as I said before most of my problem stemmed from the pelvis. Perhaps your OS can refer you to someone with lots of expertise in that area. We accommodate so much to our alignment issues that when they are corrected it can be quite painful and never feels quite right. I think a slow building approach until pain was reduced would work best for me.
 
Thanks @Chihuahuan i would need one of these shoes to put the raiser in but a 'normal' matching one for my left foot. The pair of shoes they made for me, the 'normal' one fitted fine, but the one with the raiser just didn't.
My husband used to have extra thickness soles added to his shoes and that worked well for him. Today he just uses a heel lift and moans about the balls of his feet being sore!
 
This new knee was my inspiration to be positive, it just feels so different this time. It is amazing what I can do already.
This is good news. You have been through a lot and I hope things continue to progress for you!
 
Three more days to go now on the antibiotics, :yes!:.

I had a telephone consult with my rheumatology team today about my knee and they couldn't be more supportive. I have alternative hydrotherapy in place if the pool at the hospital that I had this revision done at closes before I can access it. :yes!:. They will help with my rehabilitation, they already manage my fibromyalgia. Great news:wowspring:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Only two more days of antibiotics for you. Yippee! I'm sure you'll enjoy the hydrotherapy and will benefit from it. I tried and tried to persuade the physios to let me carry on with it for longer but to no avail - the waiting list was more pressing than my knee by then! Linda x
 
Another first tonight. I had a shower to wash my hair, then I had a bath :dancy:. We have lots of of hot water at the moment thanks to solar thermal panels on the roof. I'm not allowed to submerge the Hickman line, but I'm allowed to shower as long as I don't allow the water to impinge directly on my chest where the line is. Hence the hair wash in the shower first.

The bath was heaven :bath:, only the second in the last 8 months. I managed one when I had the spacer in my knee but didn't feel confident to try another, it was a little scary. I had lots of bubble bath and a long soak and did some of my physio exercises. It was very relaxing. Can't wait until I can go swimming and hydrotherapy. Still not heard when the line is being removed despite chasing it up this afternoon :sad::sad::sad:
 
Only a couple more days of antibiotics! :yay:

I hope you soon manage to get rid of that bothersome Hickman line!
 
I've just read most of your story and I'm amazed you so sound so positive and cheerful after all you've been thru. I take my hat off to you. Where in the UK do you live. You mentioned the Wirral. I Live just outside Chester. We also have something else in common. It is my anniversary too on Saturday. 25 years for us. Celebrating quietly in our caravan in Anglesey. Hope you enjoy your weekend with all this glorious sunshine. ❤️


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@robynhood , I live in Lancashire although I was born in Yorkshire. It is our 39th wedding anniversary on Saturday. Hubby and I like going to Chester and also further on to Wales sometimes just for a day out. We went to Bebbington on Sunday, we have some friends living there.

Down to the last 24 hrs now for the antibiotics. Still not heard when they are taking the line out. I have to go to the hospital once a week until it is removed to have the line flushed and a new dressing put over the entry point. They are also going to keep taking blood samples for analysis, that is if they can get any blood out of me!

I went to see the GP this morning and she has agreed to additional physio. It is the first time I have seen her since the op and she was interested to hear how it went.

Also had trip to opticians as I'd damaged the hinge of my glasses. Physio this afternoon at Wrightington. I definitely won't get hydro there it is closing at the end of August and my next physio appointment isn't until the middle of August.
 
I hope when we hear from you later your line will be out!
 
Let the real recovery begin now.....

At last I can spend my energy concentrating on rehabbing my knee. I am physically and emotionally shattered at the moment. Those antibiotics have zapped me. All I want to do is sleep. I didn't get up until lunchtime and had to stop myself dozing off this afternoon. I still have my line in and have no idea when it will come out.

I have been gently too and froing on my excercise bike this afternoon and can now manage a few rotations allbeit backwards. Hubby measured my ROM at 85, I still haven't reached the elusive 90, but I will. Slowly, slowly does it. I have begun to stop thinking of my knee as an alien. It now feels part of me, it hasn't for so long.

I have decided August is for me, for us as a couple, we have missed out on so much this last few years. We are going to take all opportunities to go out and enjoy ourselves. I have cancelled/postoned all medical appointments that I can that are non urgent. They can wait for September, as can the hydrotherapy as that is now quite a distance from home. I will continue with physio and my consultant appoinment on the 13th. I can incorporate walking, stretching and strengthening exercises as part of my daily life. We are going off as soon as the line is out, maybe sooner if I have to wait a long time. I have got the go ahead from the Microbiologist to do this.

Thank you all again for your support, it has really helped.
 
I'd say it's ok to let yourself sleep--your body is telling you you need it. Good :sleep:
 
I feel just like my spring has wound down, absolutely shattered again. is it because I knew I had to keep going until my antibiotics finished i wonder? Off for a snooze now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom