Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Chihuahuan , @Jozilla, physio got me to do a couple of squats down the wall with a big ball behind me yesterday, only to the stage I was comfortable with. She is a very experienced physio with knee replacements and it was our first time in the gym. I noticed my scar was a different shape this time than from the previous surgeries and this alerted me, plus the rotation of my foot and heel pain straight out of surgery. I've combined two shots of my knee, the top one immediately before this surgery and the second not long out. You can see the difference, the top one is very straight, the bottom one wiggerly. Sorry about the quality of the top shot.

[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
 
I forgot to mention that my knee is a fixed hinge and doesn't rotate at all. There is a pin attaching both sections together.
 
My scar is crooked too, and was straight before the revision. I think you need to look at standing position, and see what position it is in then.
Busylizzie, I know I try to read too much into all of this, and am working on accepting what is.
(((((Big Hugs))))).

PS Give up squats for now.
 
I don't know if this means anything but I swear my scar looked more crooked at the height of my swelling than it does now. Maybe some of that will settle down. Still, talk to the OS. fingers crossed for you.
 
I've only done about 5 semi squats down the wall in total and not to the stage where they hurt and don't plan to do any more. It just shows the alignment easier.The physio said this afternoon she hadn't seen anything like this before. I didn't do a squat for her, just stood and bent my knees. I'll wait and see what my consultant says.
 
You do still have a lot of swelling but I can understand your concern. I would definitely have it checked out. Sorry that you are going through this!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Most of what you see isn't swelling, its my new knee, it is big. By making it out of titanium it had to be beefed up at the hinge bosses to give it strength. It will go down a little but mostly what you see is what you get. The surgeon explained it to me, it will never look like the other one. The physio said it won't look so bad once my muscles are built up round it.

I have hatched a plan. This morning I rang the Salford University gait analysis centre that I'd known about for a quite a while and asked about gait analysis. The chappie there was very knowledgable and recommended I wait a few more weeks before going for gait analysis. I explained the whole problem. He suggested that on my next physio appointment I get them to measure my leg length discrepency and try and correct it before doing anything else. Then get them to try and work out if the alignment problem is physical or musclular based or a combination of both. Depending on the outcome when I see my surgeon on the 13 August I have some information for him. By that time I will be ready for the gait analysis. It is available NHS or private and takes up to 3 hours to complete. If I have to pay it will be around the £500 mark, I'm willing to do this to get an answer. I said it is affecting my back, hips and feet and they hurt. He said by waiting a few weeks longer I would get a better result from the analysis. He has had experience of gait analysis after TKRs.

I feel a little happier now but still have major concerns. I will try and keep my positive outlook going if at all possible. It was helping me. The timeframe doesn't seem that bad and there is virtually no waiting period for the gait analysis. I have been looking at my right leg, the one i had a bad compound fracture of the tib and fib as a kid. I'm wondering if it is contribututing to the problem, there is a deviation from the straight just below the fracture. It is my short leg, I guess caused by the fracture.
 
@busylizzie Great plan. I feel that my legs are slightly different lengths as I have different implants in each knee. Gait analysis is a great idea. I think lots of us with TKRs have an issue with it.
 
Very interest and great plan. Good for you that you are aware of so much!
 
Hi @busylizzie, it sounds like you have hatched a good plan. I hope you get some relief soon.
You do have a great attitude considering what you have gone through. It is okay to vent though if you need to. We are all here for you!
 
Good luck with all. I hope you get good answers and will know better how to proceed. Thank you once again for sharing your experiences.
 
Oh @busylizzie my goodness you've been through the mill here. I. So sorry to rad about your ongoing problems. Let's hope the OS can sort them out properly. I was quite taken aback when I saw the photos. Even allowing for swelling it does look out of sync. Have you tagged Josephine in to have a look see?

Anyway, I sincerely hope that you can get this sorted.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
The IV antibiotics are still causing a problem, but thankfully the end is in sight. The tube is irritating me and the antibiotics have to be run in very slowly. Still only 6 more days to survive. The nursing sister from the Intensive Care Unit was filling in a shift on the ward I attend at weekends and was more knowledgable. She said that the tip of the Hickman line can press on the side wall of the vein causing problems like I've been having. They haven't been able to draw blood from the line properly since day 1. They have now resorted with my permission to stabbing my arm with a needle to try and get the blood for analysis as the blood results from the line were inaccurate due to dilution from having to keep flushing it with saline solution. It is taking more and more time to run the antibiotics in, the quicker they do it the worse I feel. I am determined to finish the course if at all possible to give me the best chance with this knee. I was at the hospital 1 3\4 hours this morning for what should be 3\4 hour procedure tops if there isn't a queue which there wasn't today.

Tomorrow a large race called Iron Man is taking place in our region and lots of the roads are closed for most of the day. It starts with a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and finishing with a 26.2 mile run. Over 2,000 athletes from more than 40 countries take part. We have been invited to a 'Naming Ceremony' on the Wirral peninsula, which is on the opposite side of the river Mersey to Liverpool and is sandwiched between there and the river Dee almost in Wales. Quite a journey for us, made more awkward by the Iron Man race. A naming ceremony is a non religious christening, we have never been to one before. So as soon as I've had my antibiotics at the hospital we will have to set off.

I am trying not to think about my knee alignment at the moment as there is nothing I can do about it until it gets checked out. I'm walking more and more but take my crutches with me when I go outside the house. I surprised my grandson the other day when I walked up to his school at collection time to meet him with hubby.It is about a 10 minute walk for me, 5 minutes for anybody else. He was thrilled to see me. I can't remember the last time I did that. I am careful and I pace myself and rest when I am tired.
 
The Iron Man Race sounds exciting! Enjoy your time there - you are almost at the finish line too!
 
Life has been so full on lately that I've only just managed to catch up with where you're at. Glad the end of the antibiotics is in sight. Being off them, and the daily trek, will make you feel so much better I'm sure. Do hope you can get the alignment issue sorted out satisfactorily. But even with that you have done so well since your second stage revision and you must have been an inspiration to so many people. As I know only too well, recovery can go on for many years so you're still only at the beginning of the journey, and yet you have come so far. Your positive attitude has been amazing, so stick with it!

Have to tell someone - I heard this morning that my daughter in Italy is expecting baby number 2 next Spring. I'm so excited! It's very early days yet so I'm sworn to secrecy as far as the family is concerned, but my Bonesmart family needs to know these things! Linda x
 
Hi @Coppernob, what wonderful news. If that isn't an excuse to plan another holiday in Italy, nothing is. I hope all goes well. This new knee was my inspiration to be positive, it just feels so different this time. It is amazing what I can do already.

I've four more days antibiotics to go, then a wait to get the line out. They haven't been speedy getting that organised. I'll give it a few more days and chase it up. We only just made it to the naming ceremony yesterday, we'd have missed it if it wasn't running 3\4 hour late. It took 2 1\4 hours to get the antibiotics yesterday morning even though they knew I was in a hurry. Today was 1 1\4 hours, go figure.

I have physio this afternoon and I'm going to try and get the leg leg difference measured. That will be a start. I still plan to do the gait analysis as soon as I can.

I joined the ODIC again yesterday big style, I had nowhere to elevate my leg. I took my ice machine with me and iced all the way home in the car (using it manually without the pump) and then straight to bed again with more ice and painkillers. I have survived, but feel very tired today. Tomorrow hopefully will be better. There are times when you just have to go for it and manage the consequences, and yesterday was one of those days.
 
I'm back frrom the physios. My surgeon said that he would try and fix my leg length discrepency hasn't. My left leg is still approx 2 cm longer than my right. It is a true discrepency not an apparent one. He wanted the leg with the new knee in it shorter than my natural leg. He has not acheived this, I don't know if he forgot. I'll ask him next time I see him. I have a new cork heel raiser as the physio thought my old plastic one was worn out and not working so well. The new on is 1.3 cm high. I'll see how I get on with that.

She also mentioned the difficulty aligning a revision knee. She thought there was scope for some improvement by working on the leg muscles, but that I'd always be misaligned to some extent. I'll await gait analysis when I'm a little further down the rcovery path.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom