Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busylizzie,
I am thrilled for you! You have been through so much, to have a wonderful outcome is excellent news.
Just my opinion why you are having such a great outcome. 1. Your surgeons skill, 2. Custom fitted implant shaped to your bones.
The jury is still out for custom implants, my gut feeling is, in the future they will be proven to have better outcomes, in particular for small and large people at the edge of the bell curve.
Praying the antibiotics do their job, and you start feeling better from the side effects.
 
  • @busylizzie Just caught up on your thread. All I can say is wow!
I am glad you were able to take tea to your hubby. Please be gentle with yourself. Like you, antibiotics affect me very negatively. It is hard to stay positive on those :censored: Meds. It will get better!

Praying for you!
~hopefaith
 
Not wanting to sound ungrateful, but my husband is smothering me ( metaphorically that is). I have this feeling of being able and wanting to do the simple things in life, nothing too difficult. I start doing a job and he comes and takes over. I suppose it is hard on him too after having to look after me for so long. It is very frustrating and have told him so this afternoon. We had a few words. For example, I got my ice machine and put the fresh new cold water in it and then got the ice out of the freezer. Left it to warm slightly to get the container off it and the next thing I know he is doing it. Ugh! He has been ill this week with a bad cold, sinus and ear infection, you would think he would be pleased that I am getting more active and independent and he could rest more.

Rant over. It will settle down I hope.

I still rest, elevate and ice regularly. The antibiotics are still not good, I'm about half way through my daily trek to the hospital. It does knock the stuffing out of me, I can't predict when the side effects get to me. Some days I feel sick all morning and it continues into the afternoon, it starts again in the evening and sometimes off and on to the early hours keeping me awake. I have this feeling that he may want to continue with them after the six weeks. If so, I am OK with it. They have been looking for an infection since my original TKR. It is odd that this new knee is so much better, but I've been on antibiotics all of the time since the op, super strength ones most of the time. I have a follow up appointment on Wednesday so hopefully I will find out more. I don't know if my consultant will be there as the letter states the appointment is with his team. I have bi weekly blood tests because of the antibiotics and my white blood cell count is hovering on the bottom limit, most of the time just below. They don't seem concerned about it though.

I am still feeling very positive and I think it is really helping my recovery.
 
@busylizzie I wonder if the meds are making you a little sensitive about the "no-longer needed as much" help? Maybe give him a kiss when he steps in, smile, and say "It's okay -- I'm doing so much better"…J
 
@busylizzie

You're only just over a month out from your surgery, so your emotions are still going to be all over the place. And your poor hubby is going to bear the brunt of that, I'm afraid. I remember that, around that time, I screamed at my poor husband, because he didn't telepathically understand what I needed. The poor fellow took refuge at the other end of the house! :snork:

I'm glad that you are feeling you can do more things for yourself. Remember not to overdo it, though! Those trips to get the antibiotics are going to take energy out of you, for sure.

It's great that your knee is feeling so good. :yay:

Best wishes!
 
Hubby and I had a frank discussion last night before bed and I think he is beginning to get it. He has cut me more slack today.

The nurse at the hospital ran in the antibiotics far too quicky today and I had to ask her to slow it down. Not before it made me feel yucky though. I had to have a lay down for a while when I got back home.

I seriously joined the ODIC this afternoon but it was worth it. I sat for almost three hours in my wheelchair watching my not quite 3 1/2 year old grandaughter take part in her first dancing show. It was worth every minute. My leg was elevated, but boy did my knee hurt afterwards. She was the youngest taking part by quite a few months but you wouldn't have guessed. She danced well and remembered all the actions. It was her second performance of the show today. She was happy but shattered when she finished. I think we will be buying the DVD when it is released. Guess what I'm doing now......
 
Busylizzie,
We went through that too, sometimes he still smothers me. I finally thought we just need to get it out and move on.

I sat for almost three hours in my wheelchair watching my not quite 3 1/2 year old grandaughter take part in her first dancing show.
Sounds wonderful, worth all the effort and discomfort to see your grandaughter.
Let me guess:
:sleep::ice::elevate: and :chillpill:
 
@Pumpkln, correct and I'm doing the same now before I turn the light out and try and get some sleep.

I spent 4 hours at the hospital today getting my Hickman line checked out before they would give me the IV antibiotics. They were concerned about yesterday's episode as it was painful as well as making me feel yucky. I had to have a chest Xray again to check its placement. They can't get much blood out of the line and it concerns them. It is very positional and I have to twist to the left side and lower my body almost to the floor to get any blood out at all. It must look odd if anybody is watching. The line flushes fine and the antibiotics go in, so long as they don't rush them I'm OK.

Xray came back fine so they are taking each day as it comes. Microbiologist said if I had to miss one day's antibiotics it wouldn't be a problem as my level of antibiotic in my system is quite high at the moment, plus I'm taking the orals ones at the same time. I think that they hope that I can manage with this line until treatment stops hopefully in just under 3 weeks time. I have an orthopaedic appointment on Wednesday, so I'll wait and see what they say. I really don't want any more surgery to put another line in.
 
Good luck with your appointment. How is your knee feeling now?
 
I'll start with the best news of the day. I've just returned from my private physio appointment ( NHS appointment was cancelled yesterday as physio rang in sick). She said that my recovery had been the talking point between the other physio and herself at the clinic. They couldn't get over my progress and grin from ear to ear. My ROM today was 75 from a cold start and 85 after a warm up. She said that was a good result from a "normal" primary TKR and a fantastic one from my new knee at just 5 weeks out. She can' t see why I shouldn't eventually get more than 90 from a cold start. It looks very healthy. My gait is also improving. I told her that I'd started to manage some stairs conventionally too. This physio has seen me through some very rough times not only my knee but my back also.

I got my blood test results from the microbiologist today to take to my consultant tomorrow. My platelet levels are dropping and I need to discuss them with him tomorrow. If they drop too low we will have to stop the antibiotics. The blood tests results could be a little flawed due to them having to flush the line with saline solution prior to taking a blood sample. The sample is so small that it could easily be diluted with some of the saline. I suggested yesterday that they tried to take a sample out of my arm, I think they will try that on Thursday when they take the next sample. I need to go for my antibiotics a lot earlier tomorrow so that I can get to my other appointment the other hospital on time. They agreed to this when I originally asked them a few weeks ago when I started treatment, but they were being awkward about it today. I'll just turn up tomorrow early and leave if it doesn't happen. I need to be on time to see my consultant, this appointment is important to me. I'll go back later on if time permits if necessary but as the microbiologist said if I miss one dose it won't matter.
 
They cut it a little fine with the antibiotics this morning, hubby was waiting at the hospital entrance with the car to take me to Wrightington. We just made it but only just. Had to wait for nearly an hour for a Xray then on to be seen in clinic. I was obviously the last appointment of the morning. My consultant wasn't there today :sad:. I was down to see one of his junior team. The consultant's fellow was just leaving the outpatient dept when he saw me walking down the corridor without crutches with a big grin on my face, he about turned and ushered me into one of the side rooms. He then had a big grin on his face. He couldn't believe my progress. He said the progress I'd made was what he expected from a primary TKR not a revision, an especially a complicated case such as mine. They just didn't expect that I would do so well and so quickly. I asked if there was a physical limit to the ROM I could achieve and the answer is no. He would be very happy if I got 90 which is what they hope revisions should get and if I get more I would be exception to the rule considering what I'd been through. He thought 100 would be excellent. I want more now that I know it is possible, but I'm in no hurry. No aggressive physio this time, my knee is in charge and it will decide its future.

I'm cleared to drive providing the insurance company is happy. I haven't driven for years but still have a current licence and insurance so here goes I think I will give it a go again soon. They want me to finish this 6 week course of antibiotics then stop. They do want to keep a close eye on me and see me next month. I have to get in touch straight away if I have any problems. He then dictated an update to my notes and gave me a stunning report. I asked again for a copy of the Xray and I have to write in requesting one. The last thing he said was try not to overdo things which I agreed with. I still follow the mantras except that I don't need the pain meds except for a very occasional painkiller. I have only taken 20 tramadol in the 3 weeks I've been home since I left hospital.

I came away buzzing.
 
Fabulous! I want to cry happy tears!! What a great day for you exceeding all expectations. You so deserve it all!!!
 
Great! Thank you for giving us your experiences--it has been very helpful to me as I stumble through my process. So glad that you are doing so well and are able to manage your pain. Hoping that central line issues work themselves out. :-)
 
Wow, what a progress. Am so happy for you busylizzie. Wow. You r finally getting out of it. Big thanks for making reports here: I'm sure loads of people read and learned from them but many, like me, didn't know what to say except to try to cheer u up a little bit. I knew somehow that you will overcome it I just didn't know when and how to help :) I wish you only good news and great achievements in your health progress!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went to my NHS physio appointment at Wrightinton Hospital today to be disappointed again. I went there because the hospital has a hydrotherapy pool. I can't start hydro until my Hickman line is out. I learnt today it is going to shut soon for a while, I guess for work to be carried out. It doesn't look as though I will get to use it.

An half an hour appointment barely lasted 20 minutes today, it is a long way to go for that.

This is what happened today, my second visit.
  • My ROM was measured from cold laying on the couch, 80 degrees
  • 5 straight leg raises held fo 5 secs, which I can easily do.
  • Exercise bike gently rocking back and forward, I have a bike at home and already do that.
  • Standing on a wobble board trying to keep my balance without holding on.
I have an appointment next week, I will re-evaluate then. If it does not improve I think I'll asked to be transferred to a physio nearer home. I think my private one has an NHS contract at the moment. My 30 minutes is a lot more productive there.
 
Hi I asked for my thread title to be changed 2 weeks ago. I guess the post got missed. @skigirl , @Jamie, @bottomshollow please can one of you change it to

' There is light at the end of the tunnel, it is just hard to see sometimes'
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom