Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow @busylizzie your scar is healing lovely. Sorry to read about what a rough time you've been having. My thoughts are with you xxx

I also had blisters immediately after surgery on my leg too I several places below and in the knee. They're only just beginning to fade. I had to have the wretched things aspirated twice!!!

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hope the irritation is under control and does not return, seems like we have all these hurdles on the way to recovery.
Hope the rest of your day is quiet.
 
Hi @busylizzie how are you doing in yourself and how is your knee doing? You have had so many trials and tribulations with all the other things (which I really hope are sorting themselves out and won't last much longer) but I just wondered how you are and how your knee is recovering amongst it all.

Shortie x
 
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I went to my private physio today and have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in my left foot along with lax ligaments on the outside of my ankle. I have had foot pain since this last op and thought I had an alignment problem as my foot now rotates slightly outwards and downwards at rest. I know that they use jigs in surgery to get alignment but I guess that in my case the alignment may have been difficult due to the long term cement spacer. I mentioned it a few times whilst I was in hospital but was always told it was OK. I now have to work at correcting it.

Physio was very pleased with my progress so far, she and I go back a long time together. She said it was the best today that she had seen me walk. She sorted my bad back out originally about 20 years ago. I go to the NHS physio next Monday.
 
So good to read your posts! With what you have been thru with your knee I think the plantar fasciitis will be just another small blip. I am so glad you are doing so well per your physio. Your story is so important for a lot of members including me. You have been amazingly strong and we are all here to cheer for you! Hang in there!
 
Busylizzie,
I had a major realignment change during my revision, it has gotten me down at times, working so hard to get it right. Not to mention 40 some years of walking with a crooked and shorter leg, there is so much to work on.
Sounds like you have a good physio who understands you, and will work with you on all the little details that need to be sorted. It takes awhile, but worth it in the long term.
The earlier PF is treated the better, wishing you a speedy resolution to your PF!
 
I too had a compound fracture of my tibia and tibia when I was 11 due to a road traffic accident. It didn't stop me doing the sports I loved, but I suspect I have had leg length descrepency as a result of it.A chiropractor mentioned it once many years ago when I went to him with a bad back. It has bothered me since the first TKR and I have been using a heel raiser. I don't know if the surgeon made it worse, it was measured at around 2 cm. I get quite a lot of sciaticia and it is worse when I don't use the raiser. I have no way of knowing yet if he managed to correct it at the last surgery until the swelling goes down some more.

Yesterday the physio thought I needed two years to recover from this op not the normal six months to a year because of all the trauma I had been through with it. She is very experienced in knee replacements but it was only the second titanium knee she had come across. The first was a guy who had one in Switzerland. I paid for the standard 1/2 hour treatment but was in with her 1 1/2 hours, her last appointment of the day had cancelled and she just kept going with me. She will start gentle massage next week, she won't do it until the knee is 4 weeks old.

Back to the Hickman line dressing, I saw the nurse in charge of the unit yesterday and she wasn't happy about the dressing the other nurse put on the day before. She said that it put me at risk for an infection and put a new different dressing on top of the old one, one I hadn't tried before. Last night I started to get a reaction again and this morning it is itching badly again and pink all around the edges again. The consultant looked at the previous reaction yesterday and although it hadn't had the dressing over to that area since Saturday and was healing nicely and said it had been on the verge of ulcerating. They must get this sorted this morning I can't keep going through this..
 
@busylizzie

Hugs! :console2: I'll bet you are fed up with all these bumps along the way!

I hope they get the skin allergy around the Hickman line sorted out today - you need the line, but you don't need its added problems!
 
Thinking of you as you go through all these extra problems. Life can seem very unfair sometimes but hang in there. Linda x
 
Wow @busylizzie you have been through the ringer.

Not to alarm you but I had plantar fasciitis and ended up in a boot and crutches so please take care of that. It's painful as you would well know.

Hope the itchiness goes soon

Xxx
 
Good to hear the PT is going well. I'm :headbang: on your behalf on this mess with the tape etc. for your line.:console2:
 
So sorry that you are going through all of this @busylizzie. I hope they figure our what is causing the reactions and put a stop to it! It sure sounds like you have a good PT. This is always helpful through your recovery. Take care of yourself!
 
So sorry Busylizzie, you've had more than your share. Before my revision my TKR leg used to toe out. I was always that way. I've wondered it that made things harder on my knee pre TKR. I was realigned during the revision with both feet/toes pointing straight out not. I was told that my foot will follow my knee and it does. Down side is the leg length difference but a small price to pay for a knee without pain.

I never had a boot or crutches with my plantar fasciitis, but proper arch support, stretching, icing and massage will help. Nip it in the bud early. The second time I had PF, I had a shock wave therapy treatment about 5 times and it was just gone!!

All my best to you...take care!
 
I know that you are just sick of all of this and it must just seem like there is no end to the setbacks. Sending wishes your way that you start to get better news and just feel better in general. Wish I could snap my fingers and make it all better!
 
Today I have decided to try to put all the negative things about life and this recovery to one side and think positive. I am rejoicing that I can walk again, I have a functional new knee. I think you have to put life into prospective every now and again and not dwell on the 'what ifs'. Tomorrow is another day. The mindfulness course I went on this time last year, tells you to live for the moment, and that is what I'm trying to do today. Yesterday afternoon I managed to make hubby a mug of tea and carry it out to the garden to him. Something I'd have thought impossible to do until recently. He was really surprised and happy. All the little things in life l can now do add up together to give the bigger picture. Let's hope I continue to think this way.
 
@busylizzie - I follow your thread, without posting anything, and decided to say that even though I don't have any solutions or words of advice, you with your problems know so much more than you wished to know, my heart is with you... Several times when I read your posts I started crying... But somehow I feel you will be ok at the end of this ordeal. You show so much strength, brain and focus - it will get you through. Plz do everything you need to help yourself, do not give up... Sorry for trite words. I send you and your husband two huge warm hugs :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I like your shift in attitude. I'm a big fan of positive thinking!! As we go through life, it's easy to think we are the only one with these major challenges. But the truth is that everyone has them. Some just choose to stay on the positive and most people may not know what they are working through. A person only has so many things in life he or she can control.....and your attitude and approach to life is a the most critical one. It impacts everything else in your life and the lives of those around you. So......you go girl!!! You got it!!
 
Great way to think! I cried too when you made your hubby a cup if tea. That is what life is really all about. I am so happy for you. Your story is very valuable to all of us. Xoxo JoAnne
 
I think my new attitude has a lot to do with gaining some independence again:). For the last two days I've been dropped off at the hospital entrance and made my own way to the unit for the IV antibiotics. I don't need a minder with me outside the house anymore. I can do things my way. I have a choice again. I chose to use the flight of steps both up and down today and not the lift because I could. I have freedom again. OK I still have limitations to what I can do and have to be careful about the ODIC. I can do little things like helping to change the bedding for the laundry. I lost my crutches this afternoon when I went for a rest on the bed and eventually found them in the bathroom. Trivial to most people, but a great leap forward for me.
 
@Jamie, I think it is time for a thread title change please. Can you change it to ' There is light at the end of the tunnel, it is just hard to see it sometimes' please
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom