Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
:friends: I bet it felt great to bring your husband something instead of the other way around! Way to go on doing stuff but avoiding the ODIC.
SEnding:arrow::badspidy: to the nasty bugs.
 
Bad day today, the antibiotics have made me feel sick and very tired most of the day. It's odd some days are worse than others. I managed a sleep this afternoon, the first one since I came home from hospital. Although I'm tired and rest I usually can't get to sleep. The microbiolist consultant said it was one of the side effects from the drugs. At night I drift in and out of sleep but never stay asleep for any length of time. I'm a third through them now and counting the days until they are finished. Otherwise I'm doing OK. I don't have much time to do my physio exercises between the bouts of feeling sick.
 
Hi @busylizzie - I have not been by your thread for a bit so just catching up. Congratulations on the milestone of bringing your hubby a cup of tea. Your positive thinking will help you in the long run I am sure. You have been through so much, I am amazed that you are able to shift to the positive. Sorry that yesterday brought back the nausea and lack of sleep. I do hope you feel better soon. We are all rooting for you.
 
Thanks. The last few days I have been having a very rough patch with the antibiotics. I have tried to stay positive but it it has been very hard. I take very few painkillers because of my gut problems but they haven't been working as they should. I did some research and my antibiotics can negate the analgesic effect of them. There is a P450 interaction. This was confirmed yesterday by my microbiologist. There is an interaction between narcotics including tramadol and paracetamol with the antibiotics. So it is back to just icing to get relief. I also found out yesterday my countdown to finishing the oral antibiotics has to be extended. Whilst I am on the IV antibiotics I MUST stay on the oral ones at the same time, so I have an extra 1/2 week.

I will do it, I have to do it, I have to think of the long term. This knee is wonderful, and that is what keeps me going. It feels so different, the pain is so less than after the other ops. I have been tested and I have a very high pain threshold, it will get me through. I continue to get 70 ROM and it feels very tight inside, I have the band feeling that you all talk about. Both physios aren't worried about the ROM, they think it is good at the moment considering the straight leg for so long. I will continue to chip at it slowly aiming for more. I am taking each day as it comes, hoping that the blips get less. I WILL GET THERE however hard it will be, I have to this time, I have no other options left.
 
I love your spirit. You are inspiring to me and I pray every day for you. Yes you will get there. You can see the light and really want to get there. I look forward to reading your posts! Love and hugs to you. JoAnne
 
Love your attitude. It's so good that your knee is doing well and you have that to focus on. Eyes on the prize.
 
It gets better, just been to my private physio session. She really is good. I got a cold ROM of 70 but after gentle massage I got 80 with very little effort:wowspring:. My consultant said if I reach 90 it will be really good. I'm out to prove him wrong, I'm after more, but in no hurry, slowly slowly does it. I want it to stay. At 4 weeks out yesterday I'm ecstatic. Good reason to stay positive despite everything else. I have had no painkillers today just ice. This knee just gets better and better.

This physio is now working on my gait. I have to use my crutches in marching mode. After 4 years of using my crutches both together with my bad leg taking the majority of my weight, this is proving difficult.

My NHS physio is a student, in a completely different league, but they have to learn on somebody. Just glad I can afford to have both. The NHS facility has a hydrotherapy pool that I would like to use as soon as it is safe to do so.
 
The relearning how to walk part takes time. I had to walk along the tile grout lines in the mall to stay straight !
 
Your positive attitude will be instrumental in your recovery @busylizzie. I just love your spirit. Pleased to hear that your ROM is getting better. You are a trooper going without the pain killers. You must have a high threshold of pain! Wishing you the best moving forward. :flwrysmile:
 
Sorry you are feeling so rubbish still from the antibiotics let's hope the infection is feeling much much worse!

You are doing so well and truly are an inspiration - thank you.

Shortie x
 
What a way to celebrate my 500th posting. I must be on a roll. For the first time for years I climbed the hospital steps the correct way, one foot on each step. Admittedly they aren't as steep as my home ones, but I did it, not the 2 flights, but quite a few of them. I went in for my antibiotics beaming and it was noticed. The antibiotics are another thing, I'm still having problems with them, but my positive attitude is helping.

I am beginning to wonder what he put in my left leg to give me such good results, it feels so good. It is stiff, still inflamed and not totally pain free but I'm still managing with just ice. Yes I am tired and still not sleeping well, but I can cope with that now. I managed a couple of steps down on the way out too. Other people are beginning to notice the change in me too, long may it continue. I just want my life back, I want to enjoy the simple things in life that I have missed out on for so long. I can't believe that after the first TKR I was in so much pain for so long and that they couldn't find anything that even touched the pain never mind controlled it. I can't even believe that I was told I had to live with it as it was. It is a good job I am stubborn and a fighter.
 
:wowspring:I am so happy for your knee progress! (and a bit jealous :)) I hope the whole antibiotic thing improves for you too.
 
That is great news @busylizzie - you have been through so much and each of these accomplishments are getting you closer to complete recovery. You have a really great attitude considering what you have gone through. I think you are awesome! :)
 
I'm so glad to see your progress busylizzie. Please keep posting - it's truly inspirational, for me who has much much fewer problems, thanks god, but still struggling in recovery. Thinking of you often :) and hope that this collective mental energy that people send your way will help you recover faster and fuller.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks everyone, something in me wants to share my fantastic progress of late, but I am very aware of others ,who like I was, are really struggling. I really feel for them. Life is so unfair. From the bottom of my heart, I hope that they too will experience the joy I have at the moment. Along this hard journey, I never even dreampt of such a good outcome. To think I was offered a fusion more than once, but refused to accept it.
 
Please please keep sharing great things - it gives me massive hope and a strong determination to keep going to get to where I want to be.

I am so happy for you that despite the antibiotic side effects you are doing so well.

Shortie x
 
We can all learn a lot from you. I agree you have been thru a battle and are winning. It is great to read if your journey. Thank you for saring and giving others hope. Xoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom