Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
:ice:@busylizzie SO glad you are home at last! You now can take care of that knee the way you know is best for it.
 
It seems as though I can't stay away from hospitals. I had to go to A&E last night. I was passed for showers yesterday morning not using that awful antimicrobial solution. The only restriction was no direct inpingement on the hickman line and dressing. After tea last night I decided to have one and followed the instructions to a tee. I had just got out when hubby noticed that I had a balloon of water under my dressing, goodness knows how it got in there as we had checked the dressing was intact before the shower. We got as much out as we could and then hubby rang the out of hours support no we were given that morning. No joy with that, given another no to try, again no joy. In despairation we went to A&E. Long wait but told we had absolutely done right going there. So I have a new temporary dressing on the line to be sorted this morning.
 
@busylizzie (((((Hugs)))))

You have a lot to cope with, so congratulations on dealing with it so well.

I do hope that things will get easier as time passes. Meanwhile, rest when you can, and pamper yourself.
 
@busylizzie oh dear. Another frustrating bump in the road. We are all here for you. How very discouraging though. I hope it sorts quickly. <3

~hopefaith
 
Sorry to hear that you shower turned into a visit to the A&E. Glad all is well. :console2:
 
I have been feeling very sick,dizzy and tired with all these antibiotics. They are affecting my mind also, one of the known side effects. I see the microbiology consultant tomorrow again. The nurses are not sure what to do about it. Doing physio whilst feeling like this is hard and I have lost some ROM today. I am off to bed now for an early night and the last of today's antibiotics. I'll see what the morning brings. The site of the Hickman line is sore but they checked it out today whilst I was at the hospital. Things can only get better!
 
The pain and irritation around the Hickman line continues to get worse. My armpit is affected now, I hope that they can do something about it now as an outpatient. I think I will have a meltdown if I have to be admitted. It is the same hospital that the original consultant transfered me to without my knowledge when he decided that he wouldn't do the original TKR at the nearby private hospital under the NHS. I had a severe meltdown then and that is why I ended up at Salford under a different consultant. These local hospitals put me in a bad place after the hysterectomy just over 9 years ago, I went round and round in circles for 2 1/2 years between the gynaes and gastros. I was admitted to this hospital after a drug induced fall (They prescribed the drug) and it was a nightmare. I ended up changing beds twice in the space of less than an hour one evening. My consultant at the time visited a patient in the next bed and totally ignored me, he didn't even acknowledge my existance.

Just hope it can be sorted today, I am struggling to wear my bra. Why or why is it always me, I must have a bad jinx

BTW my knee is doing fine, very little pain just very very stiff which is to be expected. I am still taking very little in the way of painkillers. I work at the bend in between the bouts of sickness. It is SO different to the first knee. In fact I feel as though I'm neglecting it at times, this IV line has taken over. I've had trouble sorting out the physio I was due to start early next week I don't think that will happen.
 
Oh @busylizzie what a rubbish time you are having, you are putting up with so much in pursuit of a good knee. It is really stressful when you go to a hospital you have had problems with in the past, I know it is difficult and I know from personal experience as a patient and as a member of staff that within each hospital there are many different departments and each one is very different so I wholeheartedly hope that you are treated by a different group of staff and have a much better 'patient experience' (as our lot like to call it!) and you get sorted quickly.

Sending lots of ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) and I will be hoping you have a better day today - great news your knee is doing well.

Shortie x
 
@Shortie it was the medical assessment ward I had the worst experience! The gateway to admission. Just hope I can side step it if it is the worst case and they admit me to sort out the line. I really don't think I should be experiencing such discomfort and irritation from this line. I think it has to be removed in theatre, a new line definitely has to be put in there. Much as I hate what the antibiotics are doing to me I know that I have to keep taking them, there is no other option. What a day for it to happen, weekends in hospital everything stops.
 
Wish I could make this all go away, sending thoughts and prayers your was for a speedy resolution to your line.



Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Sending lots of hugs your way. I am so cheering you on. I am so glad your knee is behaving but sorry about your Hickman line. Xoxo
 
I am sorry you are having such a rough time. Sometimes it seems as if the bad stuff will just not stop. I hope you at least get the Hickman line sorted out so that it is more comfortable. Go ahead and cry, tear your hair out a bit, don't apologize for any of it. I do hope you are able to turn a corner into a better recovery very soon.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
I am back home after antibiotics and being checked out. Surprise, they think it may be an allergic reaction to the line. Me and foreign body reactions. They are not sure and going to ask around and get advice. Line staying for now, if it gets unbearable this weekend I have to go to A&E again and they will sort it. I HAVE to have these antibiotics, this beatiful knee has to stay. I walked from the car park to the unit and back on my crutches today and didn't use the wheelchair. Hubby pushed it just in case I needed it.

It just amazes me how different this knee is and how fortunate I was to get it. Nothing will stop me keeping it, I will do what it takes.
 
So proud of you, busylizzie. You have persevered, keeping your eye on the prize!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Looking through some old paperwork I was at ROM 5 / 70 with 20 degree lag ten weeks out from the original TKR having been through numerous physio sessions. On a good day now I am 0/70 with no lag and I am not three weeks out until Monday. It unbelievable the difference this time considering this leg hasn't bent for 27 weeks.
 
@busylizzie I had a feeling I needed to pop in here. I am sorry, yet another bump. I want these bumps to stop for you. How very frustrating! I also have mind symptoms from antibiotics. I have looked it up several times. I hate being on them. I hear you have no choice.
I am however so happy that your knee is feeling so good! That is great news!
~hopefaith
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom