THR Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
stargirl HappyHippy - ladies the answer here is simple. You are too early out of surgery to be cutting down on pain meds. You will not get addicted them. You need them now to get more mobile. The pains you are feeling are post op pain. Read this thread again Myth busting: open getting addicted to pain meds You will naturally wean off your meds when your body doen't need them anymore. When you start forgetting to take doses - it's a sign. Until then regular doses will help you get more mobile.
 
Hi Jaycey yes you are right , I was so scarred by my reaction to certain pain meds in the hospital that I have braved through last weeks on just paracetamol - I am used to pain after living with bad hip for so long. But I think I will pop a panadeine forte tonight and any other night I need it. I was told I can take up to eight paracetamol tablets every 24 hrs and swap one for forte tablet as required .

Thankyou xxx
 
Stargirl, I react very badly to some pain meds too. But there are alternatives that don't make you drowsy and let you get on with life. Perhaps a visit to your GP to discuss alternatives. Paracetamol is not going to give you the relief level during the day that you need right now. Please don't try and be brave. You only end up setting your recovery back.
 
Thankyou Jaycey I will discuss with nurse on Wednesday definetly xxx
 
Hi Jaycey,

You're right about pain meds, but I've been on a lot for 6 months so I could stay active before surgery. With that horrible pain gone from the loose stem, and only surgical, which isn't quite as bad, I have a high dependency to reduce. I'm on a much higher dose than most: 150 mgs MS Contin and 30mgs Vicodin for break through. It scares me - especially the long acting narcotics. I just got down to pre-surgical levels, the last month before surgery, but have a long journey ahead.

So you can see why I need to start reducing now. It's still enough to manage most of the pain. Dependency is a whole other issue.
 
Jaycey and everyone, I don't know if this is he right place, but I feel like I have to cut down on the pain meds because of the nausea and constipation. Today I threw up while the PT was here. I was so nauseous and had such a bad headache that I could barely do the exercises. I'm getting around ok, and I'm used to hip pain, but I feel like hell. I sent an email to the surgeon's PA today, but didn't hear back from her. I think I will take your good advice and talk to my internist tomorrow if I don't hear back from the PA.
 
Hi Drbabs I had exactly the same reaction to meds in the hospital , not sure which drug triggered it off but it was terrible !!! Which Is why I soldiered on with only panadeine forte and paracetemol, which of course has not been sufficient pain relief but thank goodness four weeks on everything has settled down so much. I ice constantly and icing was truly the best tip I got off bonesmart and there is rarely a time even four weeks on I am not icing somewhere on my body .

Of course if you choose there are many drugs to counteract nausea but I was just over constipation and drugs in general and scaled everything back , not to say this is a good decision for you just the path I took because I was at my wits end of being drugged up !

Def talk to your pain dr if hospital has once this is their niche .

Best of luck to a speedy recovery ! :)
 
stargirl, thank you so much. I forgot about the pain management people, I will call them today. My internist and I decided that my headache and nausea were a result of the constipation (by the time I spoke to her, I was concerned that I had a cerebral bleed from the blood thinners, but that was an over reaction.) so I am working on that big time today. Thanks for your support.
 
Hi stargirl

Some people will probably scoff at this but I care not. I think because you are a sensitive person, you have a sensitive body. This makes total sense to me(I think it will you too). The healing process is going to take us both a wee bit longer than we'd hoped. But fear not Stargirl, try really hard to visualise yourself fit, healthy and able to do all the things you want to do..........and it will be. I Wholeheartedly believe it. I am doing the same. Everyday. More so on those days that I feel a little low, worried or frustrated.

Please try and remember the trauma your body has endured, it's going to continue to mend for quite a while longer. I often feel new pain but I figure its all part of the healing process. Unless the pain is severe and is continuous, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Keep thinking those positive thoughts dear girl.

Queenie xxxx
 
Drbabs You only had surgery on the 13th, so you're in the very early phase. It's normal to sleep a lot right now. There are lots of medications they can give you if the current type and amount isn't working. Make sure you're eating when you take the meds too.

stargirl reactions to meds in the hospital on the first two days, aren't the same as later on. I puked my guts out my last hip replacement because they gave me oral meds too soon. After two days I was able to take Vicodin. It's my best short acting med. Oxycodone always makes me dizzy and kinda sick, but there are others who will say the opposite. Ice is still my best friend too.

Queenie yes, I must state a little offense (in jest of course) because if your theory is true, I must be very insensitive, indeed. There are some of us who've been battling chronic pain or other health conditions for quite awhile and may be on narcotics before our replacements. If your theory were true, cancer patients would be insensitive, but I don't think that's what you meant. Generalizations are always dangerous. People recovering from Joint replacements do need their pain meds though. This surgery isn't a test of character.

Then again, I do agree %1000 with what you said about attitude. It's why I had my nick changed from TiredHippy to HappyHippy. My recovery is going very well, which I attribute to sticking with the program and progressing my exercises. But since I've been down this road before, I know what to expect, and that next week will be better than this week, and will make a lot of progress from last week if I try. Be as positive and confident as you can, but allow for that occasional physical down day. My progression which is pretty normal, is two good days, followed by one higher pain inactive day. Then I find I've made real progress with the next active day cycle. And my cycle isn't set in stone, but just seems how it's working. The body needs a balance of activity and rest, and if you keep at it, will find you're breezing ahead.

I'm not scoffing at you Queenie; just want to put my 2 cents in, having been there and done that. We all recover at different rates depending on a lot of different factors going in. But slow and steady wins the race!

And this is a general comment on pain medications: my Pain Management Dr. Is trying a compounded mixture applied locally so I can cut down on the oral meds. I started yesterday and it seems to really work. It's my understanding that Europe and perhaps "Down Under" are better about compounded meds than the US. You don't have an FDA. It may be another option for those of you who have trouble with oral meds.

Good luck to all.

HH
 
Crikey HH, I most definitely did not mean that at all!

My post was sent with love and was never in anyway meant to cause offence. I'm not the greatest wordsmith in the world and can only hope that stargirl or anyone else who reads my post takes it with the positivity it was sent. :)

Queenie xxx
 
Hi Queenie no way was any offence taken :) you are a delight and a healing soul to talk to I thank you from the bottom of my heart for softening any of my falls with the cushion of your words xxxx

HappyHippy you are so knowledgable and I understand your point that sometimes this mammoth procedure takes more toll on our mind and bodies then we could ever have fathomed . It's a good thing we were not 100% aware or we would have suffered paralysis by analysis and it terrifies me to comprehend where I was headed without surgery .
Thankyou for your insight xxx

Got pt again today another five sessions and I am done , will be relieved but sooo scared to be alone in this crazy world with my new hip . My husband keeps telling me it is the strongest metal known to man and is by far stronger than my other hip , god bless him for always bolstering me .

Queenie when I had my little meltdown in hospital about living with a prosthesis the angelic pastoral care lady told me that now that I had a earth made metal within me I was even closer to the earth and more an 'earth girl' what a precious girl she was . I love this in allergy and felt elated with the description .

Love to you all and new steps forward towards the sunshine !!! Xxxxxxx
 
Hey Peach! How are you? I am trying to get back into the swing of things as my surgery knocked me back a bit. I went to follow-up appt with OS yesterday. The new hip looks great but I am still on touch down weight bearing for FOUR MORE WEEKS! I have to continue to use walker or crutches what a bummer! This seems like a more difficult time as everyone has gone back to their lives now that all the major stuff is over. Don't mean to sound like I'm whining although maybe I am just a bit.:sad: Anywhoo- your ride in the wheelchair sounded like tons of fun to me. When you get a chance let me know of all the fabulous stuff you are able to do. I may live my life vicariously through yours till I get one. LOL! I miss ya girl!

Hugs,
Weezi
 
[Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
Weezi, lots of us hippies have had to use the walker with weight bearing limits for the first 6 weeks after surgery. It is a common restriction imposed by many surgeons. It may be CYA on their part or they may genuinely feel that the hip has a better change of healing and a lesser chance of dislocating since use of the walker and not being full weight bearing certainly keeps one from overdoing activities.


And who, sweetie, is everyone? I think you will find other hippies on the forum with the same restrictions you have. Instead of looking at how far you still have to go, take a really good look at how far you've come. And don't compare your beginning with someone else's middle. You will get there in your own good time. Find a little patience, sweetie, you're going to need it.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
 
Queenie don't worry dear, I did add the "in jest" comment, so you'd know I wasn't completely serious. Besides, someone had to "scoff" at you :) I do think it's important for people to know that how their body reacts initially to meds may not be how they react later, so someone doesn't take meds when they may actually help. Start with a small dose with food, and your Dr. can also give you meds that resolve nausea. Stargirl is talking to her PA, which is exactly what you do. Good girl!

It's often repeated here to not be afraid of meds, so you can keep doing PT and other life activities.

stargirl having been there and done this before didn't make it easier. I was very afraid of this going wrong again. When you're a worse case scenario, it's terrifying. I couldn't let myself feel too much, because it was too overwhelming. I just had to schedule the surgery, and have a good friend make sure I went. But I cried lots and lots through all this. I did trust my surgeon and he's been sensitive to my fears, and spent time explaining what went wrong and how we'll make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm not rabid about PT, and am just moving along. Since I didn't have the cup replaced, I'll heal faster than most of us in our little group. So don't measure your success next to mine.

And I hated having the prosthesis in my body. Thought my body was rejecting it much of the last few years. Still don't love it, but don't have a choice. The top of my femur is gone :boohoo: Glad you had that wonderful woman talk to you in the hospital.

It's a tough surgery, but it's a godsend that we have this forum to come and talk with other people going through the same thing. We can get information on what's normal, find shoulders to cry on, and celebrate milestones, like when we can drive or start walking distances (and that may just be to the toilet) independently.

So Queenie, I didn't mean to be harsh. But if one medication program isn't working there are many

Peace out :flwrysmile:

HH
 
Hi HH

I think you've got the complete wrong end of my post stick!!! :heehee:

I couldn't agree more re your closing comment.

Queenie xxx
 
Hi there stargirl

When I got the 'hippies' about having a man made prostheses my lovely SO told me that mine in titanium and that is a metal in the universe and now I have stardust... I loved his analogy and keep that close in my mind if the thought every pops up.. hardly ever does now, my thoughts are more about the fact, wow.. what a great pain free hip I now have :)... and you will get to this hon, lol xx
 
Thanks bottomshollow, I was actually talking about my friends and family that were around to help out with the surgery and shortly thereafter. I am just getting ancy about getting back to life and it's a bit difficult to feel like you can help out but in reality you can't. My in-home physical therapist told me that the OS would probably ease up on my restrictions. I know it's in my best interest, I guess I am just having one of those down days. :cry:It makes me feel better just knowing you all understand what I'm going through.
:thankyou:
Weezi
 
Weezi I was on my walker much of the first two weeks, which is where you are. It gets old, but it's better to have good healing than do too much too soon. We all have those days where the four walls are closing in on us, and it's really hard. I see a little guy in your pic too. Have your family and friends quit helping so much? That's got to be hard. I boarded my dog for 3 weeks so I did't have to worry about him. He was at a friends, and not in a cage ... But it's hard to take care of yourself without help. You just keep coming here and whine all you need to. Do you have your own thread?
 
You hit the nail on the head HappyHippy, the four walls are closing in on me! And yes I have a thread in recovery "Better late than never". I had a horrible experience in the hospital but things were much better once I returned home. My hubby, boys and family have been great and they still are. However I don't need the assistance like I did at first and I just wrapped up my in-home PT and I need to start outside PT. I had my two week follow up with OS yesterday and x-rays look great as well as the incision. I think I'm just having transitions pains (no pun intended :heehee: ). I had all this nervous energy before the surgery, then I had the hospital stay nightmare and finally all the attention once I got home. I have this feeling like life is getting back to normal but I'm not sure what my normal is now, if that makes sense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom