THR Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally makes sense, Weezi. 2 weeks is pretty early to return to normal. I wasn't doing much then, and still hurt quite a bit. So you're still on a walker, which is appropriate. But limiting. Probably not bathing completely alone either, are you? I was, but wanted someone around for safety. Even now I skip days now and then because it is the most dangerous thing I can do, and if dizzy, don't want to risk it and do a sponge bath.

I don't know what you like to do to kill time, but I like thinking about home decor ideas and am an HGTV junkie. I surf the Internet as an indoor window shopper, but don't buy very much. Too many medical bills coming. I also have tons of entertainment with Netflix, cable, and Amazon prime. It's excessive, but I've spent a lot of time on my bum. Reading too now and then.

And then there's the phone ... My batteries are going low often. If it wasn't for friends I would be bonkers.

I don't know if any of this helps. Every one of us is different in what we can occupy ourselves with, and our life circumstances. With a family I'd think it may be hard to get the rest you need, and kids don't get that it may take weeks for Mom to be Ok.

But I'll give you a big cyber hug and hope you feel better, and keep coming here when you don't, or do :)

HH

stargirl Is the star still shining? :)
 
Hi Weezi so lovely to hear from you !!!! My sweet friend two weeks compared to now are satellite systems apart in how I felt . Yes I an still scared , anxious and sometimes overwhelmed by what seems like permanent restrictions but on the richter scale if I was 10/10 at two weeks I am probably a 6/10 now which I think is a huge difference and I am hoping by the time I see my OS next week this will br taken down a count again .

Please entrust in your surgeons advice they are the experts .
Fast forward a couple of months and I know this **** will seem like a distant memory . Keep posting because this is what kept my sanity when nothing or no one else could !!! Every day a micro improvement is happening that sometimes you can or can't feel and every week a little more noticeable and each month great milestones , I guess not disuse to weight loss - something I have very little experience in :) hoping to get better at it !

Remember to rest as much as you can , I sit in the shower chair still sometimes and just let the water rain down its calm on me and breathe deeply this was a lovely form of relaxation for me and general venting of our emotions I believe is always better than bottling .

Massive hugs back at you gorgeous girl !!! You are doinf fantastic !!!! Xxxxx :yay:
 
Hi HappyHippy thankyou for checking in your posts are always so informative . I forgot to tell you I looooved your pussy cat what's its name? I adore tri colored cats, rabbits , hamsters anything really !! :) I just adore animals actually I need to be on a farm , maybe when I'm recuperated one day !!?!
Star was shining yesterday but I overdid it at the shops :(

In fact I'm a little or maybe a lot concerned and will tag our dear angels if it's ok Josephine and Poppet Because after walking for probably at least two and half hrs too long(with the cane)and yes riding in the wheelchair again !!! Lol ( I know I'm a sucker for punishment !!) my hip is Sore and feels a little weird for my liking as in achy and I'm scared I did permanent damage or worse loosened the prosthesis !?!! I'm praying you guys will tell me to chillax!? Well see ....

And yes I know I should not be smashing it only four and half weeks post op but I was so bored with the same views of our block walk !!!
I'm icing big time now but maybe I should be calling my Os .....
 
My kitty is named Paris. I found her at a rescue, and they'd named her "Parrot." We'll, I thought it was dumb to name a cat after a bird, but since she was already used to the one name, I searched for one that sounded like her's. Thus, "Paris." But it's for the uniqueness of her beauty, and not because I'm a fan of the Hilton's.

Sweetie, am I hearing you took an over two hour shopping trip???? That's gotta hurt! Now, I can only tell you what I've been told, which is after a month of healing, we can only anger the soft tissue and muscles - the bones have had enough time to begin growing in. I won't say anything, because the walls are closing in on me too, but it's raining so much that I'm worried about slipping and falling.

But I understand your fears. The mostly likely thing is that you way over used your muscles, etc... So get the ice and whatever painkillers you have and settle in for a few days. I'd stay down completely and watch movies or whatever you do to occupy yourself, keeping in mind to get up once in awhile.

If the pain isn't better by Monday, then call your OS. You're experiencing what overdoing feels like, and it won't be the last time. :) You'll learn what your limits are, then one day will notice you don't have any in a few months. Until then, ice and rest when this happens.

Ok? :kittykiss:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
Gosh, gals, of course you get cabin fever and want to get out for a while, and you should. But it should be a short trip for like an ice cream or a coffee or just to pick up a few things. From start to finish, about an hour is long enough. You could do this two or three times a week. Change of scenery is always nice and lifts the spirits. A
big shopping trip may seem wonderful at the time----but as you well know, you pay the price big time by being miserable.

Let's show those hips how smart we are by making better decisions for now on!!! Take care, keep us posted, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
 
I'm doing just a little trip to get more yoga pants. Real pants are still uncomfortable and I'm tired of what I have. I read something about joint replacements and weight gain, because of lack ability to be active. So off the duff!

But it will be straight to the sporting goods and then cash register. That's about the amount we're supposed to walk right now. And I'll see how tired I am later.

And let us know how the ice and rest is working stargirl
 
stargirl - what are you thinking! Did you not read those articles we left for you? Did you not read this one Activity progression for THRs? Evidently not because then you would have known that at 4 weeks you should "Increase walks to 30 mins,". :doh:
 
Stargirl, you should also take some pain meds and keep on resting and icing, and I bet you will feel much better in the morning. You just overdid it.
 
Hey girl.. What are you doing to yourself ...

You have strained muscles, ligaments, bones and soft tissue all of which are not ready for a two an half hour walk.. I was still sleeping my head off at 4 weeks in between icing, exercises, elevating..

You will be fine.. You have done what we all do... The ole, one step forward, two steps back...

Rest for a few days, elevate, ice, meds, let it all settle down.. And it will - patience grasshopper!
 
So glad I read these last few posts. I thought I was losing it because I crashed this weekend and slept through most of it. I didn't do anything to bring it on just the usual home PT. I was feeling guilty for being lazy but not so much now that I've read what you guys had to say. I've just been tired and haven't been sleeping very well at night. stargirl please don't over do it although I do appreciate your desire to get up and go. I forgot to tell you I got to see my x-rays at follow-up. I have two screws in pelvic bone which I didn't expect but I am so AMAZED at the work OS has done. I am so thankful to be living in an age where things like a bad hip can be corrected with surgery. OS explained that it will take time for the femur to grow around the stem. It may have been a tough go to begin with but that already seems like a distant memory. I am experiencing a new, deeper pain but I believe you guys told me the pain would change and move around so I am still sticking to the ice. I am going back to re-read the article Josephine posted about Activity progression for THR.

Thanks so much!
Weezi
 
Hi sissy46 you gorgeous lady thankyou for asking I took your advice and spent all of yesterday icing and major downtime and felt good again this morning . I just need to go out for my psychological well being and have my brother staying and don't want to coop the poor guy up with so many beautiful sights to see. To be fair if I do go out walking I don't do my pt exercises and hope this is done sort of balance I'm 4.5 weeks now god I can't wait to be normal whenever that it is ! Xxxx
 
Hey beautiful girl... So pleased you gave yourself some down time..

Nothing wrong with day tripping as long as you stop and have coffee, find a nice bench to sit down at, lunch.

Icing is Soooooo good isn't it?

Hugs
 
Stargirl, I found that I had to plan for some balance in my activities. Try not to plan two very active days in a row.

And walking two and a half hours at your stage of recovery was awfully ambitious. Although perhaps safer than riding in a wheelchair with your wild hubby pushing:rotfl:
 
Hi guys thankyou for your precious words of wisdom , I would be lost without them xxx
I am seeing my OS next week thank goodness and tomorrow I am five weeks post op .

Can anyone please tell me other than feeling physical soreness and tightness the next day by walking in excess of 2.5hrs am I jeopardizing the 'bone growth into the prosthesis ' or otherwise?
I am confused because my pt exhausts me with two hr sessions of walking up down stairs without the cane, bending hips to 90 degrees etc , so I did not think that done excess walking ( with the cane) would hurt ?

Josephine I'm sorry to tag you but just wanted your precious insight , I am constantly told to keep moving by pt so my hip stays flexible for the rest of my life surely walking longer periods ( perhaps not 2.5 hrs ) but this is with about ten regular breaks is ok ?
 
stargirl You may be asking because my replacement failed and it didn't integrate into the bone, and me talking about the need to take it easy. Let me assure you that what they found was surgeon error. It was loose and misaligned from day 1. I could have slept for 3 months and it still would have failed.

Last time at this stage I was walking much farther, had little or no pain, and my PT was 20 min on water treadmill, another 20 min. exercises, and they were tougher than what we 're doing now. And your PT may be overdoing it. I think there's a fine line between avoiding having scar tissue limit your movements, as we're healing like crazy inside, and doing too much. Nothing we do alone tho, should be rougher than what our PTs are doing to us.

So, sweetie, one or two episodes of overdoing won't make your replacement fail. In fact, it would probably take a catastrophic fall, so be a stargirl, not a wild girl!
 
I am constantly told to keep moving by pt so my hip stays flexible for the rest of my life surely walking longer periods
stargirl, I have got to tell you that all that exercise is totally unnecessary! Truly, you don't need it. Hips are very adaptable and generally sort themselves out without all that nonsense! Neither do they get stiff or develop adhesions. I've no idea what she thinks she's up to but if I were you, I'd fire her and do exercises on your own at home. You're 4½ weeks out and the most you need to do is go for walks about 30mins a day (15 mins there and 15 mins back!) and, if you have access to one, spend another 20-30 mins on an exercise bike. You could also do some of the exercises shown in here if you wanted to Home physio (PT) but there's no need for this boot camp she seems to have you on.

As for the integration of the bone into the prosthesis, there are differing opinions - some surgeons think a period of non-weight bearing is necessary but many others don't. I know more hip surgeons who don't believe in non-weight bearing than do.
 
HappyHippy thankyou for caring you are such a special soul xxx
Josephine your right as always, thankyou xxx I only have a couple of sessions with her I think I'll finish prematurely . I have calmed her down on several occasions about certain exercises which I felt were aggravating . I like to go primarily because the nurse looks at the wound each week and this reassures me...
 
I like to go primarily because the nurse looks at the wound each week and this reassures me..
At 4 weeks, your wound should be well healed and past any cause for concern. In other words, that's unnecessary too! :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom