THR Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi HappyHippy I thought I was the only NST club member round here :) hopefully your aches have subsided a little? I had to up a stronger pain killer panadeine forte and ice ice ice for two days straight! I am sorry to say I did the same yesterday walked for about an hour with the cane and regular breaks but the hip had to whine about it last night and today :( here I go again with the ice a thon . I will be asking my surgeon when this **** will go away because after six weeks of course I expect a little longer than a twenty minute walk without paying for it for two days . I'll let you know how I go but yes unfortunately my friend two/three days was about the norm for me also .
 
stargirl Thanks! I'm just anxious to get rid of the cane. I left work using a cane and I don't want to go back using one if I cam help it! I went out a little today and noticed I do not have a lot of walking endurance. Tomorrow I might try going to an indoor mall and see what I can do.
 
Mbone you have the same surgery day as me, and I wouldn't consider talking walks or going out without my cane. My muscles are too weak. And if you have an overdo episode like Stargirl and I had, you won't be working for a few days. My pain was the worst in weeks. Finally, at day 4 I'm almost back to where I was. But it still feels like the muscles could go back into spasm with any overdoing.

I know you'd like to give the impression of being well, but really you're going back to work a little too soon (my opinion). So baby yourself as much as you can, and do what you need to, to protect yourself. If I remember right, you had an insane schedule for return, unless I'm thinking of someone else.

Please take care of yourself. You don't want to regress with all the progress you've made.
 
HappyHippy I think you are thinking of someone else in regard to working. I have not been released to work yet. I see my OS on March 12 for that decision.

If I try o walk the mall, it most definitely will be with my cane. Actually my physical therapist suggested a walking track, put if I go I to a mall, there are at least benches all around!

I will defiantly take it easy and listen to my body!
Thanks
 
Ok so went for 5.5 /6 week check up today and got all the gritty details no restrictions etc. was told that due to severe inflammation of my cartilage and state of bone it was natural I am feeling some pain post six weeks . He was not worried I am still preferring cane for long walks and said it is up to me when I dispose of it .

Apparently I had pigmented vilonodular synovitis I will tag Josephine to see if she knows any other members with this or anything in her precious experience about the condition .

Dr says my almighty hip is artificial and super strong and should last at least 20/30 yrs maybe longer Yeeeehah!

Feel so much better for seeing him this was the confidence boost I needed , knowledge is power .
 
Gee you ladies! Only 7 weeks out and already griping about having a limp when walking without assistive devices! Even without the gammy knees, you've still got a way to go before you are past that! I see none of us actually left you the recovery articles so here they are now. Please focus on the one about activity progression!

(oops!)
 
Stargirl, Josephine has mistakenly given you the links for the library articles for knees. Let me give the links for hips and apologize to you for somehow failing to give you these much earlier.

Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Constipation and stool softeners
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

If you haven't spent time in the Library, please do. There are many more articles that will be helpful to you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
 
Apparently I had pigmented vilonodular synovitis I will tag Josephine to see if she knows any other members with this or anything in her precious experience about the condition.
I've certainly heard of it and we had one other member who enquired about it but he never came back after his initial post. I believe it is quite rare and something of a beggar to deal with.
 
Hi Orthodoc I am sorry to tag you just wondering if you could give me any poignant questions I can ask my OS please with respect to the apparent PVNS he located in my hip during thr?

I have if course researched it via net which does tend to catatsrophise worst case scenarios, os reassured me that even if it returned to hip it would not affect it as it is artificial now . My other hip appears fine I guess main concern is do i need to be diligent in screening for spread of pvns to other joints in the future and if there any other supplements like fish oil or glucosamine I should be taking to try and prevent this diagnosis from returning ?.

Trying to stay optimistic however a little difficult when so
Little info out there due to rarity of condition .

I might even phone the pathologist to discuss their findings ?

Your assistance would be so appreciated , my next appr with OS is in April .

Thankyou in advance
 
Stargirl,

Localized PVNS is typically treated with resection. Sometimes surgeons will use radiation therapy for a significant case (diffuse PVNS) or if it were to recur. The best chance to limit recurrence is with complete resection at the time of surgery. PVNS is typically found within a single joint (much more common in the knee than the hip) and does not spread to other joints. This disease is cause by local proliferation of the lining of the joint. It is true that your replaced joint would not be effected the same way (as a native hip) if it were to recur.

If you have not done so, you may consider talking with an orthopaedic oncology specialist. I do not mean this in any alarming fashion, as PVNS is a benign tumor. They would have the most experience with discussing recurrence rates, etc... OTC supplements will not prevent recurrence.

Orthodoc
 
Orthodoc I cannot thank you enough for your comment, this has confirmed what I tried to decipher off the Internet and its limited info regarding the disease. Indeed my greatest fear is reccurance in another joint and what I can do (if anything) to prevent this .

Having suffered a couple of traumatic falls to the hip I find it more than coincidental that it surfaced in the traumatized hip joint although I cannot find any firm medical evidence that this is fact.

What are your thoughts dr.?
 
Stargirl,

PVNS is not caused from trauma to a hip. It is a pathological condition of the lining of the joint that is caused by a proliferation of tissue. It is however, possible that this condition may have been noticed after a traumatic injury which caused the joint to become symptomatic.

Orthodoc
 
Hi Stargirl,

I'm sorry to hear that you thought you were just another replacement like most of us, only to find out you had PVNS. I looked it up and was a little spooked too, so I'm glad you've had some professionals say the risk of reoccurrence is low.

You were just meant to be special :flwrysmile:

How's the hip feeling? Mine's been better this week and I hope, other than the shock from the diagnosis, that you're doing better too.

Take care girlie,

HH
 
Hey Peach,
I am so sorry I haven't checked in with you in awhile. In regards to the PVNS, is your OS concerned about it? Did he refer you to see another doctor? I just hate to see you resign yourself to the worst case scenario if the problem was taken care of with the surgery. Please let me know what you find out and what your OS thinks. I'll be waiting to hear back from you.
:friends:
Hugs,
Weezi
 
Thankyou guys for your concern well OS says he performed a synevectomy as well as thr and is very confident the wretched pvns trace is gone and is very rare to attack another joint. I will of course be diligent in getting annual X-rays for as long as reccomended and try and stay optimistic . I refuse to drive myself insane with pessimism and the worst .

I have today noticed the last suture to dissolve had a tiny amount of white liquid emit from it when I pressed around it and went to the nurse who took a swab for analysis and applied betadineI think it's iodine in the us and put a dressing over it and gave me antibiotics . I can't help but think that as instructed I have been massaging with sorbolene - after putting antibacterial on my hands but think perhaps the cream got into the tiny opening and infected it? Any insight from anyone?

Really over these hurdles ATM , I will phoning my os to see his opinion also .

Josephine would love your opinion , should I be washing with saline before i put the iodine on and dressing, do I keep it dry from the shower? Going back to the nurse after I have finished antibiotics of Keflex in five days .
 
today noticed the last suture to dissolve had a tiny amount of white liquid emit from it when I pressed around it
don't worry about this - it's common and insignificant. read this Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?
betadineI think it's iodine in the us
Iodine on its own is an excellent antiseptic but a very fierce skin irritant. So it was softened by making it the base ingredient for a product known as providone iodine, marketed as Betadine amongst other names. That's all.
I can't help but think that as instructed I have been massaging with sorbolene - after putting antibacterial on my hands but think perhaps the cream got into the tiny opening and infected it? Any insight from anyone?
So called antibacterial, or more properly antiseptic, creams and lotions are no substitute for a proper washing of the hands. There's far too much reliance on them for my tastes. See the poster for how to wash your hands properly!

Other than that, this is a prime example of why NOT to apply lotions and potions to wounds. Problem is that not matter how carefully you wash your hands, the cream itself is likely to be heavily contaminated, especially if it's a pot. Much better to always use tubes which your fingers can't get into.

This may not have anything to do with your stitch infection but it could be. I know there is a lot of nonsense expostulated about applying creams to wounds but speaking as a really old-fashioned and extremely experienced nurse, it's all totally unnecessary and is more of a hazard than a help. :wink:


[Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
 
Sometimes people get better and disappear ... The computer isn't as exciting as having a life. I think it happens more with younger people with families. But she may come back to say "hi." We see some people reappear after a year or so and report how well they're doing, or may have problems, as it does take a good year to fully heal.

Speaking of which, since you've been through multiple surgeries like me, and are over 4 months out, I can ask you about this 2 month stage. I'm having new struggles. I'm cane free now, and the other hip is popping like crazy and started aching. I don't have overdo pain so often, but good days, then days I have no energy. I also feel like my old Bursitis is coming back dede62 You know how you can get chronic bursitis with Hip surgeries. It's a good thing we're "springing" in my area, or I think the blues would settle in, but seeing all the flowers popping out is therapeutic.

I should probably ask this stuff on my thread, but stargirl was 2 days from my surgery and would love to see how she's doing. Perhaps I'll tag Josephine and ask her what I should be expecting from a 2 month revision.

Let's hope stargirl pops in to share her light. Good to see you dede62
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom