TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. Food for thought. When I'm not a rebel, I'm such a "good girl" who follows all the rules, that this did not occur to me.
 
Hi Judy,

Since you only have one more visit, complete it, tell her what "she" needs to hear, and move on. I feel for you in dealing with someone who is clearly following a chart developed by someone collecting data from a large sample, the expecting you to just fit into this unrealistic schedule for rehab. You are unique, your knee and body are in charge, so don't fret. Yes, make sure you are safe when walking, which you do, and use whatever aid you feel most comfortable with. Remember, slow and steady. Soon she will be a distant memory and you can get on with the rest of your recovery.

I will warn you that you might get the same direction at outpatient pt. stand your ground and be in charge, you are paying them, and only you know how you feel.

After my recent surgery, when meeting my new pt, I told her before she even touched me, that there were terms and conditions to our work together; discomfort yes, pain, no. I explained what went wrong with previous pt and that I wanted to partner with her to get well. She agreed and it set the tone for a good outcome.

Keep up the good work. It sounds like you are doing just great! Enjoy the walks, it will lift your spirits and gives you something to look forward to!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Walking around the block must have felt amazing.

Be kind to yourself.
 
It did feel amazing, Imscared. Yesterday, after the PT left, I went for another walk, though not as far because I had cute but useless cat with me on his lead, and that made things very stop and go. I had set out to get the mail but just kept going. it feels so nice to be able to do that if I want to. Used to be, pre-op, I'd let the mail gather for days until the pain was bearable enough to walk those 20 or 30 steps.

Thanks, Dawn. I'm going to go to the same place for physio that I went for my first knee. I know them, and if anything I felt they were over careful. But they did listen to me, never pushed me to the point of pain, and I'm comfortable going back. Of course, I'll probably find something to gripe about when the time comes!
 
Good for you Jebsw, for standing your ground! Don't you just hate it when someone talks to you like you're a child, no no don't do this, do that, blaaa, blaaa blaaa, garbage!:gaah: You know your body and you know your limits, you don't need some little water ant to rain on your parade! Since you know how your, out patient PT is you will be a lot more comfortable dealing with them. You are doing fantastic with you walking!:thumb: What an up lifting release for you to be able do something you haven't done in a long time. I love that you set out to just get the mail with your cat on a lead, and you just kept on going, you must have wanted to yell, I'm free at last!

Stay well my friend and stay true to yourself!:friends:
 
I love your way with words, Jacky48! Did the walk again today and felt fine. Focused on not limping and maintaining a smooth gait.
Unfortunately, felt suddenly quite icky this evening and fell into bed at 6:30 fully clothed for a four-hour nap!
Often I sit on my front porch to give cute but useless cat some outdoor time. There's a fellow across the road who had BTKR a few years ago, and I always watch how he walks, how his knees bend. You'd never know he went through this struggle from his wonderful way of walking. I finally spoke to him yesterday as he walked past my house, because I think he noticed me staring at his legs. Probably thought I was some kind of pervert! :heehee:
 
Good morning,

It sounds like you are on a really good path, with walking in the neighborhood, even if it is slow with cute but useless cat. Especially important to take advantage of the weather before snow starts to fall in a couple of months. You sound empowered to direct your pt and know the outpatient folks will work with you in a way that matches up with what you need.

Hope you have a good day and keep up the good work!

Dawn
 
Snow? I just wore a jacket for the first time this week! Did you have a lot of snow in Vermont last winter? We barely even had winter here; I never even had to wear my really warm coat. So snow would be nice, but not for a long while yet.
 
Snow is only nice for about 3 days at most. You can tell I'm from the South. I love to see it coming down on day one, have a pretty view on day two, and see it melt and go away on day 3. We are just not geared for too much of the stuff or the possible ice---I don't even own a pair of boots---so snow is a real hardship if there's a lot of it and it stays around for a while.
 
I'm like you bottomshollow, I like snow in very small doses. When it comes and sticks around, it is just a nuisance. As far as I'm concerned it should be cold at Christmas and then warm back up to around 75 degrees.
 
Oh, you Southern belles! I hate driving in the snow, but one of my favorite things is shovelling snow, at night, with a few flurries still falling. Overhead you can hear Canada geese honking but you can't see them because of the overcast sky. It's cold enough that your cheeks are a bit tingly and your nose a bit runny. Everything is muffled by the snow and there's almost no traffic, just the distant scrape of other peoples' shovels on their driveways. Tree branches are tinged with white, and the harsh shapes of buildings are softened by piles of snow which themselves are softened by the near darkness. Perfect.
 
Jebsw I love your description of enjoying the snow!:thumb: I live in Connecticut and at the end of Oct. last year we got hit with a terrible snow storm that left most of our state without power, we thought oh, oh this is going to one very bad winter, but that was it the rest of the winter was pretty calm.
I must say though when the world is all dirty with dead grass, sandy roads and the trees are all naked, a nice coating of fluffy white snow on everything, just give me the warm and fuzzy feeling inside, just beautiful!
I wonder how our new knees will like the snow. I suppose we'll have to be really careful this year.
 
Jebsw, exactly how I feel about snow! I do love it!

Last winter we had very little snow, it never did seem to accumulate. The winter before that was awesome! My son plows snow in the winter and there were several days I rode with him plowing, it was a blast!

One thing I would suggest is to get some yak trax for your boots, something for traction. I also kept a large fast food coffee cup and filled it with rock salt in my car. That way if it was slippery or icy, I would sprinkle the rock salt on the ground where I needed to walk. It really saved me from some pretty slick sidewalks.

At least for now, we can enjoy the crisp air of Fall, my favorite time of year!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Oh, you Southern belles! I hate driving in the snow, but one of my favorite things is shovelling snow, at night, with a few flurries still falling. Overhead you can hear Canada geese honking but you can't see them because of the overcast sky. It's cold enough that your cheeks are a bit tingly and your nose a bit runny. Everything is muffled by the snow and there's almost no traffic, just the distant scrape of other peoples' shovels on their driveways. Tree branches are tinged with white, and the harsh shapes of buildings are softened by piles of snow which themselves are softened by the near darkness. Perfect.
Me too!
 
Good idea, Dawn. As soon as I'm back to driving and shopping, I'll get some yak trax -- assuming they're in the stores yet. Fall is my favourite season too; it officially starts tomorrow :)
 
Another long and sleepless night. I'll be glad when these are behind me. The irony is that yesterday I finally called my doctor to ask for some mild sleeping pills. There was no problem and the pharmacy was going to deliver this evening. But I said no, I'll pick them up, as I was heading that way with a friend. Totally forgot. So it's almost 4:00 a.m. and I'm here chatting with you and listening to the rain fall rather than snoozing away. I'm being picked up early for breakfast with friends; I'm pretty sure I'll still be awake...but I may fall asleep over my eggs!

Felt kind of off all day. Yesterday had a bad attack of nausea, and it nagged at me throughout the day today too. I did a short walk, trying to get some energy but it didn't really help. A few exercises, but they hurt a tad more than usual. Out for dinner, which lifted my spirits but hurt my knee from sitting so long. It's extra swollen and hot tonight. And the whole area around the incision is red and tender. I don't think it's infected or anything, but I do think it's angry with me. Frankly, at the moment I'm none too pleased with it either. And I'm a bit irked with knee 1, which apparently is feeling left out and letting me know that in no uncertain terms. :wink:
 
You are doing the TKR polka, one step forward, two steps back....hang tough, it will get better. I am sure you are tired of the roller coaster, and feel your pain.

My kitty decided to try to wake me up at 4:30 this morning, he licked my nose and plopped on my chest with loud purring. This is his regular routine most days. Thankfully I fell back to sleep for another hour. I plan to get to the Farmers Market today and see if I can find some fresh fruits and veggies, been wanting to do that for the last few weeks but today is the day!

Hope today is better, you have a nice visit with friends, and you get some rest!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Jebsw, I sorry to hear that you still aren't feeling well.:console2: I hope today brings you a better day and your breakfast with friends and a nice egg brealfast lifted your spirits. Dawn is right that darn TKR polka is more trouble than it's worth and you just don't know when that dance is going to start.:scratch:

Get well soon my friend!:friends:
 
Thanks, Dawn and Jacky. Today was a bit better. I'm tired for some reason, though. :heehee: Both knees are still sore and extra swollen today, especially the newer one. Just did some gentle exercises and icing, but took it easy otherwise.
Did you get to the farmers' market, Dawn? What a great time of year for those too. I'm hoping next year I'll be able to go to a fall fair or two. It's going down to 5 degrees tonight here (Celsius. About 40F) which is a bit too cool just yet. Better than hot, though!
Take care!
 
I'm with you Jebsw about getting to the fall fairs next year. It's been a couple of years since we've been able to enjoy that. We love fall fairs! :thumb: The reason you're tired is easy, you just had major surgery X2 so be kind to yourself! Next spring you'll be a whole new woman, that's what I keep telling myself! And I believe it! :thumb:
I like this cooler weather too, it's refreshing after this hot summer and all the PT we had to do and not being able to go out and play, this does feel good.

Stay well my friend! :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom