Guest viewing is limited

TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I will call the doctor tomorrow. Have already arranged a ride if I need to get to his office. I appreciate the support. Starting to feel a bit calmer and a tad less wimpy.
 
Don't worry - you probably just pulled a muscle or got a muscle spasm, that's all. If it was that severe, then there is an aftermath much like bruising which will carry on afterwards. don't do any PT that uses those muscles until it has settled down significantly. In the meantime, rest it and ice it or use heat, whichever works best. But as the man said "This too shall pass".

Have you done anything to your new knee? Most definitely not!
 
Hi Jebsw, hope you are better this morning. I worried about you last night. Im glad the cavalry posted to help ease your fears. As Orthodoc said, youre never alone in this community!

Keep us posted and just take it easy for a few days. This is the time when your patience will be challenged the most. Now you definitely need to ask for help!

Do take care and hugs are being sent your way!

Dawn
 
Thanks, Dawn. It still hurts a lot, but not as much as initially. I'm surprised I slept as well as I did. I've got a call in to the physiotherapist, hoping she too will reassure me. Thanks for your concern; I truly appreciate it.
 
I'm back! The muscle thing is significantly calmed down. :). Only really hurts with leg lift type movements like getting in and out of bed. A bit twingy when I walk. Thanks so much for your help.

Speaking of walking, I have some questions and would appreciate feedback.
I've really been focusing on my gait, and when I use the two-wheels-two-skis walker, I'm doing great. Good pace, very minimal limp. The PT suggested I move on to the four-wheel type of walker. I have one, my mother's, so it was easy to try it out. It hurts my wrist and we're worried about that, and PT also wondered if the test runs might have contributed to the muscle thing somehow. (wrist: complex ligament & tendon surgery a year ago, still very tender and painful. Walker 1 has an arm trough to protect the wrist. Can't do that on the other walker.)

So, does it really matter if I switch walkers?

I am doing some walking without the walker, not much but some. Is that bad?

As for using a cane, there's the wrist thing again. I know I won't be able to use it as I should, hand opposite side of TKR knee. Will using it the same side be bad? What should I do?

Thanks, wise ones!
 
I would say go with what is comfortable for you. If a cane doesn't work for you because of your wrist I guess you could switch sides because someone that has both knees done still uses one cane when it is time. My sister went from using a walker right to walking as she felt wobbly with a cane. I have been using a cane for two weeks and mostly take it along like a security blanket type thing. You just have to do what feels right to you. No two people are alike I guess, but I know I am starting to freak because I think I should be bending more.
 
Debbie
You are a wise one! I never even thought about folks who get both knees done! We were basically done the same time, but you've been using a cane for two weeks? I wondered about that too, and was disappointed that the PT wanted me to just use different walker. It's starting to feel like a hindrance. I'm not overly impressed with this PT's knowledge, to be honest, and feel like she's working with a predetermined schedule for everyone's healing. Tsk.
 
I never could figure out how to use the cane--didn't seem to work on either side--so I just gave the walker up on day 21 post op and walked on my own. But if you've only had one leg done---you need to use the cane on the opposite side to maintain proper balance and gait. So if it's a problem to use because of your wrist-then forget it and stick with the walker that's comfortable until you can just walk on your own. There's no hard, fast rule about it. Just tell the PT you can't use the four wheel job.
 
My pt told me to use the crutches until I had a normal gait. I went from the walker to crutches at week 2, but had no wrist issues like you. However, I used my crutches for 4 months, initially 2, then eventually 1. I tried the cane but I wasn't coordinated enough to use it properly. I became pretty frustrated and just stopped everything and limped.

It's all trial and error, so experiment until you find what is comfortable. Each of us is different. I also suggest you trust your instincts. If you aren't confident with your pt, consider switching to someone new if possible. Again, trial and error.

I went to a different pt this time around and it was the best decision I could have made.

Keep the faith and let us know how it's going. The good news that your pain is subsiding is wonderful. Here's hoping it fades completely really soon!

Be well,

Dawn
 
On thing with using a cane, is it at the right height for you? My therapist tried a couple different notches on mine. If it is too tall for you, your wrist tends to wobble. You need to try it at different levels. Oh and another thing the hospital would only let us use two wheeled walkers in the hospital and I used it the first day I came home and found it was kind of clumsy on my carpet. So I had my dad's old four wheeled walker here with the seat and I loved it. It moved so smoothly on my carpet and I used the seat part to put the laundry basket and could hang out laundry from my deck by the end of week one. I have a pulley system clothesline. Also great for taking things from point A to point B.
 
Jebsw.....be sure you are continuing to take your pain medications on a schedule at least until this bout of muscle discomfort passes. I'm glad to hear you're improving!!!
 
Hi everyone :)

I will definitely nix the four-wheel walker. I'll get someone to put it back in the garage as soon as I can. Argh.

Yes, Debbie, the cane is adjusted for me...past PTs have checked it. I've been using it for over a year, just a wee break the weeks before knee 2. Thanks for the thought and counsel.

As for this PT, I only have two more visits from her so I think it's too late to switch. I figure two of her four visits have left me in more pain than reasonable. It's hard for me to know how my body will react beforehand. But I will definitely have a talk with her next visit. On the bright side, when she's done, I'll return to the place I went for knee 1. I was sceptical of them at first, but in the end very pleased with their approach, and results!

Today I did some walking without the walker and it felt okay. If I was tired or had further to go, it was back to the walker.

And I am definitely keeping up with ice and pain meds. Tonight I'm switching to Tylenol 3, as I'm wondering if the percocet keeps me awake.

:thankyou:
Thanks to all, and to all a good night!
 
Good to hear from you! I hope the muscle issue is over and you can keep moving forward!

Be well,

Dawn
 
A good couple of days to report :)

On Friday I had someone over for what was to have been a short visit but stretched into five hours. :shocked: Although I wasn't thrilled at how long she stayed, I managed. Immediately afterwards, a colleague picked me up and we met another friend for coffee. That too went much longer than expected. - three hours! But the chairs were very comfortable so I was mostly okay. That night, I had the best sleep I'd had in ages. :sleep: It felt so luxurious!

Yesterday I went to a charity concert and silent auction. I even helped out a wee bit with volunteering. It was my first evening out. Good music, good cause, even though it totally wore me out. I had another great sleep. :zzz:

Today, my brother and his teenage kids are coming for a visit. I always enjoy their company.

After this, though, I look forward to a couple of quiet days. :mcoffee:

And there's more. I have abandoned the walker totally, and in the house I'm not using the cane either. Still limping, but it's coming along. When I go out, I take the cane for balance, but because of the wrist issue I find it rather cumbersome. Sore wrist last night.

So, progress. :yes!: I could tell when I'd reached my limit last night because I started shaking. Does this happen to anyone else?
 
Jebsw, I have been without my cane for 2 days now and went out last night which required some standing around and talking. I was pretty sore, but did it. Slept good last night and feels ok this morning. Just wish it wasn't so hard and wish it would bend more.
 
Jebsw, I have been without my cane for 2 days now and went out last night which required some standing around and talking. I was pretty sore, but did it. Slept good last night and feels ok this morning. Just wish it wasn't so hard and wish it would bend more.
You're being really hard on yourself.
Isn't it great to finally sleep well?
 
Had a fun visit from my brother and his teenaged kids this afternoon. He was blown away when I answered the door without any kind of walking aid! (okay, so that faded a bit when he saw the limp and how swollen the leg is, especially still from my "quad episode," but still...)

It occurred to me as the kids and I were goofing around, that when I am fully recovered, it will be practically the first time they'll have known, or remember, me as healthy and able to really take part in things. For a long while I demurred to look after or stay with my mother, but part of that was a cover for my own inabilities. Many of my friends have never known me as someone who could walk or do things. This is an exciting thought, a new me from a different perspective.
 
WOW! You've got a lot to look forward to in the future. You will have to come back to the forum and update us on all the new and exciting things going on in your life when that time comes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom