TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He he he..... I have never shoveled snow! I am so ready to get snowed in like when I was a senior at Winter Park Colorado, on my senior trip! They dug us out since we were on the first floor. Those were the days! :happydance:
 
That must have been some snowstorm, Sonja! I sure wouldn't want to shovel that. Truth be told, it's been a while since I've actually shoveled. When the knees got too bad to do it -- it's very hard on them -- I got a little snowblower. Then I moved to this place where the shovelling is done by someone else. I live in southern Ontario, and we seldom get really really bad stuff like Colorado, or most of the rest of Canada. Seriously, I wonder how TKR folks fare when doing this chore. Anyone?
 
I did get to the Farmers Market yesterday, it was 70 and partly sunny, a beautiful day. There was a bluegrass band playing and lots of great fresh veggies and breads. I bought some nice red potatoes but found what I really wanted, rhubarb chutney. I know it sounds odd, but it's sweet and spicy, and tastes great with a delmonico steak on the grill. That's how I ended the day!

I hope you feel better today!
 
And where was my invitation for delmonico steak and some of that rhubarb chutney? [Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!! My mouth is watering just thinking of it. Glad you had such a good day--great weather, lots of good food, and bluegrass music!
 
Jebsw, tha last time I did any heavy duty chores was last summer when we we're preparing to move out of our home of 38yrs and into our newly built retirement home. And, I can tell you that I was so much in pain with the bad knees thank god I worked myself to the bone for a solid 3 months which allowed me to fall dead asleep at night. I promised myself never again will I move, they'll have to carry me into "The Home". Shoveling snow was that last big year for snow in 2010 and I promised myself I would never do that again either, oh you are so right very bad for the knees. We also moved in a community where all the outside work is done by others. So the chores that are left are house cleaning, laundry, shopping and cooking (my passion). After doing those chores I crash! Until I'm fully recovered that does it for me, but I do look forward to a lot of traveling, when my knees and neck allows me to, for now they are the boss.
 
Dhare63 said:
You are doing the TKR polka, one step forward, two steps back....hang tough, it will get better. I am sure you are tired of the roller coaster, and feel your pain. Dawn


I think it's two steps forward and one step back, otherwise we'd never get there! :)
 
Once again I can't sleep. :hairpulling: After a series of nights with only one or two hours' sleep, I had a night when I did not sleep at all. Finally I asked my doctor for a mild sleeping pill. She prescribed half a pill if needed. Last night was the first time I tried it, and I slept well. But I didn't feel that great most of the day; mind you, I haven't been feeling great for a few days and chalked it up to lack of sleep. But I'm worried if today it was from the sleeping pill. My mother had terrible reactions to these: I know it's different in the elderly, but that kind of scared and scarred me, I guess. But right now I just want to cry because it's three in the morning and there's no sleep in sight. I went to bed tired but something happened, again, once I got into bed. I don't want to depend on the pills. I know sleep disruption is part of this game. I know my body needs sleep. But what I don't know is if I should take another half pill. Is it okay to do it two nights in a row? Will my confused body get even more confused? Probably too late to take it now anyway. Phooey.
Holy late night rambling, Batman!
 
What did they prescribe you for sleeping pills? I was prescribed Ambien and used it sparingly to get back on track. I have also used Tylenol pm which helps me a lot actually. Sleep, like all things related to tkr, is trial and error. It may take a few days to adjust. Dont let your mothers experience with these things carry over to you. My mom could not tolerate morphine, had terrible reaction to it. I was worried initlally but relieved when i had no issues at all. Just food for thought.

You should be able to take a full pill at night I would think, but perhaps a call to your general practitioner is in order. This person should know more about your overall health and can direct you.

The lack of sleep and adding more activity in, plus walking more in the neighborhood may be adding to your overall not feeling well. Again, it's all trial and error. I feel confident that in another couple of weeks you will have cleared this hurdle and start to string together days of good sleep and continued healing. In the meantime, keep the faith. You will get better, it's just going to take time, and as you know, your body is in the drivers seat.

Wishing you well this early morning,

Dawn
 
Thanks, Dawn
The sleeping pills are Apo-Zopiclone, 5 mg, so I'm to take 2.5 mg. It was actually my GP who prescribed them, and she does know me quite well. However, it was all done over the phone, via messages, so I didn't actually talk to her and I don't know why it's only half a pill. If I could get to the store, I'd give Tylenol PM a try, as I think I'd rather go that route. I didn't do much other than laundry yesterday. Didn't feel well enough to venture out on a walk. I had really hoped to today; I suppose I still can as I'm wide awake. I could walk as the sun comes up...not. But I am supposed to go to book club tonight. Hope I don't doze off there!
 
Finally got some sleep, more a nap, around ten this morning. Yikes. I do feel better for it. I walked around the block again. I can feel my gait and strength improving, though by the second half it was a pretty slow gait! But for the first half I was surprised at how well I seemed to be walking: it wasn't taking my full concentration and I was able to actually look at what I was walking past.. :)
I also made an appointment with my outpatient PT place. Unfortunately it's not til next week, but it's still before the current person makes her next, and hopefully final, visit.
Glorious autumn day here.
 
Oh thank goodness you had a good nap!:thumb: It looks like you'll be able to make it to the book club without dozing off! There's nothing worse than feeling like you've been zapped of energy! I hope your slugish days are winding down. And it sure is a beautiful fall day!:bow:

Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
Keep taking those nas when you can, this is the time to take advantage of it. I really like the Tylenol pm because it kills two birds with one stone, pain relief and sleep. Here's hoping you find he solution tat works for you!

We had a beautiful day yesterday as well. I have to travel about 2 hours for a meeting today. This trip takes me over a mountin pass that should have some colorful leaves, hoping they are turned up there. Not much color yet in the valleys, only scarse trees here and there. It s very cold here right now, 38 degrees Fahrenheit, but climbing into the 70's by midday. I do love this time of year, but dressing in layers can be challenging!

Hope you have a great day!

Dawn
 
Sorry Judy for missing your posts.
I have been taking Ambien since joint replacements. Started at 5mg now at 10. Probably very dependent but I cant sleep without as I have tried. Just feel like sleep helps me get through the day.
I always take them immediately before getting into bed. They make me woozy and the safety nut that i am, have a fear of falling and i live alone.
My suggestion is if one med doesnt work try something else. You need your sleep.
 
Thank you everyone. Had a great sleep last night. :dancy: I think I was tuckered out from walking, a few chores, and going out for the evening. (Book club was great.) I'd forgotten, though, about doing stairs and there were quite a few leading to the house. When I got home, both knees were very sore. Today, it was my first knee that seemed more swollen... it's now seven months old. The new knee celebrated its six-week birthday by twitching a lot and hurting at the base of the knee. :sad: At least all these quirks of healing give us something to talk about!

Big day tomorrow: going to a craft outlet with a long list of things I hope to make for Christmas. It means about a 75-minute car ride each way, plus the time in the store checking everything out and being indecisive (and rather cheap when it comes down to it :shrug: ). Plus lunch, of course. I know my friend who's driving won't mind stopping if I need to stretch. But I still worry that this will really test my stamina. Still, I really really want to go to this store. I usually go in the spring but couldn't this year because of, what else, the other knee.

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Another crafter!! How about not forgetting the cane or walker. Have a wonderful day. You are mighty brave.
 
My friends have given me clear instructions, in case I forget: take a painkiller, have painkillers with me, take cane, use cane, take a break when I have to, and don't be too cheap!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom