TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you have a great day!
I spent the day on Saturday wandering around St. Jacobs. (you would know where that is)
I made sure to take my meds with me, took breaks as needed and used my cane. It felt great to get outdoors for the day! It was also nice to be in the passenger seat for a change and see things that I hadn't noticed before.
Both our left and right knees are 3 days apart so I can relate to how you feel.

The thing is to pace yourself and resist the urge to do too much too fast. You will sleep like a baby following your trip and feel pretty good about your accomplishment.
I am planning on a weekend in Frankenmouth Michigan in Nov. It will be great to drive again too!
Just imagine how wonderful life is going to be once the healing process is complete!
There will be no holding us back
 
No kitten cuddling...has anyone else noticed their pet wanting to sit on/walk on/snuggle up to surgery sites? Third surgery in a year, third time cute but useless cat has done this. :puppysmooze:[/quote]

Yes! I keep a thick folded piece of fleece on that leg because my cat insists on 'protecting' it by laying there.
 
:iagree: Glad to here that someone else has a cat with strange habits.
When I had my left knee replaced that is where he would lay. Now he lays on my latest replacement, the right one.
You are so right....they just seem to know.
My cat straddles my knee and stares at me .....just like he is doing on the arm of the chair in my avatar.
On more than one occasion he has been startled by my movement when sleeping and has dug his back claws in me when using my knee as a springboard to jump off of me!

Although I hate being awakened in shock and pain.....he is still my "little buddy." :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
WOW, you are a brave one!:friends:Going to a craft outlet, a lot of head scratching:scratch: and a lot of decision making! I get tired just reading it, whew I need a nap! You young chickies can go, go, go!:ok: I get a kick out of your friend, she's keeping close tabs on you!:thumb: I hope you get everything you were looking for!
 
My hubby brought home Bub, my little fur baby shortly after my LTKR last Fall. He was such a love bug as a kitten, and snuggled with me all the time. He was interested in my incision, but only sniffed it occasionally. He thinks he's a dog, follows me everywhere and sleeps on the floor by my side of the bed. He's such a good boy, with a huge fluffy tail! He has been my recovery buddy!
 
So good to hear from you Steel Wheels! Don't think I could do St. Jacobs yet, so good for you! I bet it was wonderful on a lovely fall weekend!
How has the recovery been going? You don't have many posts, so I've not been able to keep up with your news.
 
Cats are wonderful healing companions. If I go for a shorter walk, mine comes with me. Folks on the street love the sight of him walking on his lead beside me, and he really seems to enjoy it too. Plus if we see more people, he gets more attention.
 
WOW, you are a brave one!:friends:Going to a craft outlet, a lot of head scratching:scratch: and a lot of decision making! I get tired just reading it, whew I need a nap! You young chickies can go, go, go!:ok: I get a kick out of your friend, she's keeping close tabs on you!:thumb: I hope you get everything you were looking for!

Well, I wasn't exactly "go go go" yesterday. Took four breaks while in the store while my considerably older friends were the ones who kept going. I did, however, get everything on my list! I was too tired to pause to ponder, so I just bought. Nice colors on the drive...I've been so close to home these past weeks I was surprised to see how autumn has really taken hold.

The day was, to be honest, too much for me yet. I'm glad I went, but I was completely and absolutely exhausted by the time we were done in the store. Really too tired even to eat lunch, though I ordered anyway in a feeble attempt to cover it up so the others wouldn't feel bad. Stayed in the car while they visited more craft shops on the way back. Finally got home and barely made it to the bed before collapsing for a five-hour "nap." Only woke when another dear friend came over to help take out the recycling, as she has every week. When I actually went to bed, I slept like a log. Knee was terribly sore and swollen, but it was my ankle that was really throbbing (broken two years ago, but not usually any trouble). I'm still tired and so is the knee. It'll be a quiet day. And then I'll get a start on all my craf projects!
 
That was quite a trip for being so early after your TKR and being exhausted is understandable, however you did make quite an accomplishment and now you can get your crafts done at a much easier pace. :thumb:
You challenged yourself and you met your challenge! Good for you!

Stay well my BoneSmartie friend for it will get easier as time goes by! :friends:
 
I bet it was swelling from your knee that got all the way into the ankle which made the old healed ankle hurt.
 
Interesting, Janet. That would never have occurred to me. You're so smart! It's reassuring, too, to think that the ankle is okay.
 
I picked up a small cross stitch project. Used to do very intricate pieces but recently have found it hard on my eyes. Also am going to try four crochet projects, all Christmas gifts. Haven't crocheted in lo these many years, but also used to do fairly intricate stuff. Same with sewing. And a myriad of others, with varying degrees of aptitude. Life gets busy and things we enjoy often fall by the wayside. So maybe this will be a good part of recovery. But today I am still recuperating from yesterday: even my fingers feel tired. Still much swelling of the knee. Tomorrow, I will craft! Who knows, maybe one day I will even return to writing, my erstwhile career.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi y'all!
I have a couple of questions and I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts and wisdom.

The good news is that I went to the grocery store for the first time in seven weeks. :) The bad news is that as I was shopping my first knee, seven-and-a-half months old, started clunking with each step. It's never done this before. It also felt sore at the back of the knee when I stood still, just as it used to in the bad old days. :sad:

Also, as I try to do heel slides with my newer knee, I hit a point where there's a lot of pain at the base of the kneecap and I can't go any further. This isn't new; I just haven't thought to ask. The last measurement of my ROM was 115 or 118 ( not sure). I feel like it's improved since then. I haven't seen the OS since having the staples removed, and my appointment is still 2.5 weeks away. This is because he's been/is away.

I did my regular walk this morning, then drove to the store and shopped. Yes, it was too much. Mea culpa. Bring on the wet noodles.

Thanks in advance to all my advisors.
 
Ok, so let me see if I have this right.

Morning Walk
Walking around grocery store, knee started clunking.
Went home and even with knee hurting, thought Hmmmm... A few heel slides sound good instead of icing and elevating to see if pain subsides.

What do you think? :wink:
 
Well, if you put it like that...

But actually, the clunky knee and the heel slide knee are different knees. Plus, the slide pain isn't new, just the thought to ask about it is new. Btw, I did elevate...and nap. Icing now. :)
 
Ok, so the clunky knee hasn't been operated on yet?

The heel slide leg you feel pain when you pull it to a certain point? At the base of your kneecap, and it has always hurt?

Am I getting the facts straight or am I just getting more confused? :wink:

Oops, I missed that you have had both knees done. Well, I don't know about pain. Maybe Jamie will!
 
I think you're confusing me now :rolleyes:
Re:heel slides. Yes, it's when I get to a certain point, and it's always hurt but seems to be hurting more lately. Like, hurts a lot. Base of knee cap.
Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom