Guest viewing is limited

TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phooey. I knew the last few days were too good to last. Can't sleep at all for the pain. It is really swollen too. :sad:


I've been curious about something. So many of you mention the horrible bruising you have. I had none at all with either knee, yet normally I get a bruise at the slightest touch. My doctor put a drain in after each surgery (though it didn't work very well with the first knee.) I think someone mentioned that could ease bruising. And if so, why aren't they more routinely used? What do you think? :what:
 
Hi Jebsw,

It sounds like you have had a busy few days. As that happens and while we feel good in the moment, you will know later if it was too much. That might be what happened. The extra moving about, trying to show your progress, etc might have been what did it. No worries, as you just need to ice, elevate, medicate.

The sleeping issue will come and go as well. You simply got a taste of what's to come, again no worries. I have been sleeping great for 3-4 days, then not so great for a couple of days. This has been happening for a couple of weeks. In my case, the days I don't sleep well is when I deviate frm my normal schedule. If I get too interested in a show, and push my bedtime back, then I don't sleep well.

Not sure about the bruising question. I had a drain in my original TKR but not for the revision. I bruised badly each time, and like you, I bruise easily. No rhyme or reason, sometimes it is what it is.

I'm happy you are starting to see a future hat has you active and participating. It will come, it is a matter of time. You are committed and will be mixing it up with those family members real soon! Until then, keep the vision and look forward to the day!

Take care and get some rest. Get back on schedule and hopefully the knee will behave. In the meantime, we are here!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Hello Judy!

It sounds like you have made a lot of progress since the last time I checked in on you! I am so happy for you! :happydance:
 
Re: bruising. I didn't have drains and with my bilateral, one leg had no bruising, the other was almost black on the back of my knee, calf and thigh. I know I lost some blood, (down a quart is what I over heard), so maybe they tightened up the tourniquet better on one knee than the other. Not sure why some bruise and others don't.
 
Jebsw, I just caught up on your post and couple of things caught my attention, 1) That quad pain that you mentioned, OH BOY do I ever remember that one! Mine happened when I sat kind of sideways while talking to the visiting nurse and when I went to get up it felt like a rip (stabbing, burning pain inside) right in the front of my right quad! It brought instant tears to my eyes. I could barely put weight on my right leg. It stayed tender for about a week! That was ugly!!!
2) Like you mentioned about when tired you shake. I have noticed that about myself as well and my limp tends to return too, but only if I over extend myself.
You mentioned the bruising factor. I didn't have the drain and did have my fair share of bruises. You bring up a good point, if having that drain in spared you all that bruising, why don't they use them for everyone?.

Here's to you, hoping you have more good days than bad! Stay well and stay positive my BoneSmartie friend!:friends:
 
Yes, Jacky! That's exactly what the quad thing was like! Man, did that hurt! I'll definitely remember that episode for a very long time. It's still swollen on top of the swelling there, but otherwise okay. With that and the shaking, it's nice to know I'm not the only one these things happen to. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Big day today! I moved to my current house five years ago. It's in a pretty, quiet, friendly neighbourhood, and I was determined to go for regular walks from the get go. Well, I haven't been able to do that for the past four years because of my knees. Guess what? Today I walked around the block!! I was slow. It took lots longer than normal. Both knees were tired and needed ice. But for the first time in four years I did it!! Woohoo! :dancy: :egypdance: :happydance:
 
Way to go Jebsw, isn't it great to get that first nice walk in. I will warn you, it will get addicting. I went for two 20 minute walks yesterday and today I had PT and I rode my recumbent bike and I still wanted to go for a walk tonight after dinner and ended up going for a half hour. I am in the country and if I went around the block it would be miles, so I just go form minutes walked.
 
Jebsw.....please don't push yourself too hard to walk without some type of walking aid. You are only one month out from this very major surgery. If you are limping, you are doing yourself no favors by trying to walk that way. Please use your cane at least until you can walk with NO limp at a good stride. This is all part of the recovery process and you'll be a lot more successful if you do it this way.
 
Hi Jamie,
Thanks for the caution. I had my cane with me and most certainly used it. I know I couldn't have done this without. I was pretty pleased, for the most part, with my gait, as it was fairly smooth and regular. I focused on bending the knee as I walked, trying to normalize things. I appreciate your concern and promise to be careful and heed your advice. Really.
 
Good for you. It really does sound like you're doing well so far and I just want you to move forward as smoothly as possible. Recovery is never a straight line and there will always be some setbacks. So as long as the trusted cane is nearby, go ahead and work on that gait like you're doing.
 
Hi Debbie,
Holy schmoley, girl! You're a bundle of energy. But as you're actually two days behind me, maybe you need to read what Jamie wrote about not pushing too hard :heehee: Sounds like you are making fantastic progress. I'm happy for you.
 
What a nice report! Congrats on the walk, it must feel good to finally enjoy the neighborhood!

One of the things that I was coached on was to walk in front of a mirror to see how my gait actually looked. I could see right away that I was hunched over and my weight was shifted to my good knee. I had to force myself to stand up straight and go heel toe, and count to make sure the stride was equal between sides. This all takes time, and eventually will normalize. Using your cane is a great way to give the assist you need.

Keep up the good work and slow and steady as she goes!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Jebsw, congrats on the walk!:friends: I haven't done my new neighborhood walk yet, but I'm close. It must be liberating to just walk and enjoy your surroundings! I haven't used my cane in quite a while but I think I'll take it just in case. I like these slow but new milestones!

Stay well my friend!:cheers:
 
Thanks. I must admit, though, that I was so focused on walking that the walk became secondary. Didn't notice much if anything about the neighbourhood. It's been raining all day so I haven't ventured out today. But slow and steady wins the race, right?
:thumb:
 
You bet, slow and steady does win the race! :thumb: I learned that on here, so it must be true. I also learned that if we push it to soon you pay the price by setting yourself back! And I don't want to go back and I know you don't either! :friends:
 
So, today the PT came. She seemed to want to downplay the quad pain that followed her last visit, but I didn't let her. She said it was relatively minor. Well, I was the one who felt it and it was definitely NOT minor. Then she went on about levels of pain tolerance, as if mine is very low. Really? Argh. :gaah:

She asked about the exercises, and I was honest and said I'd done the basics but not the newer ones because they hurt the quad too much and because I was a bit wary of them after last time. My flexion is improved and my extension is great. She was pleased with overall progress, but not happy about the exercises. Honestly, many of these are ones I did in PT after knee one, but far later in the healing process than this, and that worries me. I don't feel the knee is ready. She was not happy, insisted I do them, added more, and put off her next visit for two weeks until I've been doing them regularly for a while. Next time I'll just lie. Arrrggghhh! :gaah:

I just want my sessions with her to end so I can move on the outpatient PT. Nothing I said could convince her to come in a week as usual. So I thought I'd impress her with my progress of walking around the block. Bad move. She said I should not be doing that (i.e. walking) yet, but if I insisted, I should use the walker. :gaah: Why?! She wants me to have a better gait and go faster. But I'm not in a race, slow and steady is fine as I gain strength. She wants there to be a seat if I get tired. That I get, but I reminded her that I can't use the one she wants me to because of the wrist and the pain that would cause. Plus I did not need to sit down midway when I did it the other day. Arrgghh!! :gaah:

Am I wrong in feeling that using the walker would feel like going backwards? I find it so cumbersome now. I just want to get on with things, and I'm cautious and careful. I listen to advice you guys have given me. I use the cane. I don't try to run, I pace myself, and I focus on the gait. When I did the walk, I was tired and swollen, but not exceptionally so. Plus I felt great. I thought the point here was to try to get back to being able to do normal stuff...like walking. I know I have to build strength too. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!! :gaah:

I know many of you will say ask for another PT. There's one visit left. I just needed to vent. I was feeling good and now I feel frustrated! :gaah: :hairpulling: :gaah:
 
Forget the one more visit with her. She is a total idiot. And you are not. Please get someone else that matches with you and your body. Have more respect for YOU.
 
Jebsw,
Forget about the last visit, you have the right to refuse any treatment you want to. I would call tell them DO NOT send and home visits are over and start a bit early on your OP therapy. When I was in therapy there were others there that had just come from the hospital, therapy is therapy wether at home or out. Hopefully the OP thereapist will be much better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom