TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies, ladies----are we adults or are we silly young things? I vote for silly young things myself!
 
Oh Dawn,
I'm so sorry the last few years have been such a trial. Thank you for reaching out to me when things are so tough for you. I'm glad your husband is well now. I guess you just marked the second anniversary of your mother's passing. Agonizing is the right word, for sure. Even as an adult, I still want my mum here to hold my hand and tell me everything will be okay.

I'm glad things are going well so far with your latest recovery from the physical point of view at least. Do your sons live nearby? What a burden you are carrying! At least I just have myself to worry about. I love your term cyber-friends, and you need to know we are here for you too.

Cute but useless cat is currently attacking my feet. I fear sending him on recon. missions might be out of his league!
 
Well, I woke full of resolve to call my neighbours and ask them to pick me up a loaf of bread. :sos: But there were wicked thunderstorms and I worried about them in such weather, so I didn't call after all. But brother #2 finally came for a visit, bringing bread and chocolate. :bow: His wife declared that I was "moving without any difficulty at all." Glad one of us thought so. Actually, I am moving better today, able to walk more unassisted. Must focus on extension and gait, but I know that will come. It's early days yet. When my company left, I felt in need of a nap. I guess I really did need one: seven hours! :sleep: And when I'm done on here, I am going to bed. Thanks for your help and support. I'm feeling a lot more positive...at the moment. :SUNsmile:
 
Oh, forgot to add this, an update to the roommate saga:

I regaled my brother with the story, and at the end he told me he remembers the family from when we were growing up. In fact, he still keeps in sporadic contact with roomie's younger brother. But here's the real kicker: a few years ago I taught roomie's brother's son -- a nice young man who was memorable for all the trouble he caused! Family trait, I guess. I saw the lad a couple of years later. He came up and apologized for having been such a jerk and thanked me for all the help I'd given him in and out of class. Aww. Perhaps years from now I'll bump into his aunt at the grocery store and she'll apologize for being such a horror.
 
Well you have about as much chance of that happening, as you do teaching cute but useless cat to climb the ladder and nail up your banner! :rotfl:
 
One lives in hope?

Two landmarks this morning: took my first standing up post-op shower, no relying on the seat in the shower. And was able to manage the steep step to the porch, so I was finally able to get some cool, fresh air. A nice start to the day. :)
 
Jebsw, isn't that great to be able to take that stand up shower. I know with my hip I had to rely on the seat (actually a high step stool so I didn't have to lower myself down so far) for about a month. Now this time with the knee, I was surprised to be able to get rid of that stool by the second week. It just seemed in the way for me. I do have two suction grab bars in my shower so I did feel some security there. I noticed last night I was able to freely move around my shower and not feel the need to hang onto anything. What I still don't understand how doctors can be so different. Some making you wrap the incision up with plastic wrap, and others like my doc who said go ahead and let water and soap run over it, but don't scrub. Glad I didn't have to wrap up to shower.
 
It is odd, isn't it? I wasn't even allowed to shower for two+ weeks, until the staples were out then an additional two days, which seemed kind of random.
I'm finding the same thing with the in-home physiotherapists. Last time, the fellow acted more as a cheerleader and focused on helping me walk with a normal gait. I really liked that approach, very laid back but effective. This time, it's all about specific exercises, half of which I don't feel able to do yet; I know some I only progressed to after a couple of months in regular PT for knee 1. But as I know I could eventually do them, I refuse to worry. I am focussing on extension as I feel I've lost a bit of ground there. Oh! Big news this morning. While I was lying in bed, my knee got itchy. So I just lifted the leg straight in the air to scratch. That's right, a super high straight leg lift without even thinking about it! :yes!:
 
My, my, you are having a good day! Every one of those achievements are worthy of a gold star on your progress report! Those are real feel good moments, aren't they?
 
Good report today! The step out to the porch for fresh cool air is a great remedy! The storm system that you guys had made its way to Vermont last evening, so it's much cooler and no humidity here. I opened the slider to a 55 degree brisk morning. The cats are loving it!

No worries about me. I get a lot of therapy in helping encourage others. And I always know that no matter how hard my life seems, someone has it worse than I. Thanks for asking about my kids. My younger son lives nearby and older son in Boston, 2 hours away. They are great guys and we are very close. I am always there for them and they for me. I do miss my Mom, but relish the memories that I hold so dear. She was a great lady!

I hope your day continues on the positive path! Be well!

Dawn
 
It has continued to be a good day. :yes: Had cute but useless cat with me as I sat on the porch, something he loves. The neighbour's grandkids were so smitten with him, they brought flowers - for the cat, not me. Then friends dropped by and we played a few rounds of canasta. I'm new to it, but quite enjoy it, though I was off my game today, so to speak.
Hope you guys are having a good day as well.
 
OWWWW!
I don't know what I've done, but it hurts! I was lying on my bed and when shifting position, the muscle or something in the thigh seemed to go kaflooey. If I sit stock still, it is only a mild throb, but if I move, it's verrrry bad pain. Any thoughts, help, advice?
:boohoo:
 
I don't know but I will tag Jo and Orthodoc to see if we can get some help, Josephine, Orthodoc

I hope this resolves soon. Can you describe the pain, does it start in a certain area, where does reside, on a scale of 1-10, at it's worst, what is the number?
 
One lives in hope?

Two landmarks this morning: took my first standing up post-op shower, no relying on the seat in the shower. And was able to manage the steep step to the porch, so I was finally able to get some cool, fresh air. A nice start to the day. :)
:happydance:
 
I don't know but I will tag Jo and Orthodoc to see if we can get some help, Josephine, Orthodoc

I hope this resolves soon. Can you describe the pain, does it start in a certain area, where does reside, on a scale of 1-10, at it's worst, what is the number?
Thank you.
It's marginally better after icing the last 45 minutes. Also keeping it elevated.
It felt like a tearing up the front of the thigh, from above the knee to several inches below the hip. Hurts when I lift or move the whole leg, i.e. lifting it onto the bed or changing position once it's elevated. I'd say the pain at first was 8 or 9, the worst since I've been home. Now when I move it, it's still a 6 maybe. At rest, 2 or 3. Once I manage to move it and get up, walking is okay. Have taken 2 percocet, as it was time for them anyway, though I'd been cutting back.
The in-home physiotherapist was here this morning and we did a bit of gentle quad work, the hardest being 10 straight leg lifts. I thought if it still hurts in the morning, I will call the physiotherapist. If it gets really bad again during the night, I feel like I might have to find a way to get to emerg.
Thanks.
 
Just had to get up, and it really is only a twinge as I walk. It's the lifts and quad stuff that's painful. I went into a panic because, well, because it hurt so much, but also because this is a time when being on my own is really scary. I called my brother, but he's an hour away, though he did offer to come down. Friends who live nearer were apparently all out this evening (or avoiding my calls :shrug: ) This is one of the "alonest" moments I've had with this. I'm a bit calmer now, though my hands are still shaking and I still want to cry. It had been a good knee day til this. And I guess this isn't actually the knee per se....
 
Anything suddenly very painful out of the blue is bound to frazzle your nerves and make you very apprehensive. I would check with my OS's office tomorrow. It may be something very simple, but then again maybe not. It is always better to be safe than sorry. And if you need answers to put your mind at rest, then get them. Just take it easy, ice, elevate only if it doesn't hurt, and take pain meds if necessary tonight.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom