Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Hi @Nana moon 27 so pleased your getting better you sound so upbeat great.Back home from our trip today put it on my thread so won't bore you all.
@Karringtyn you look wonderful so pleased for you, you went through so much.@dogwheels hope you have a lovely break enjoy,not found a boat yet the search continues.
Everyone else hope your well have a good evening.Terri
 
@Nana moon 27 ,
To soon for the leg raises, can you get in and out of bed by yourself? That will be enough for now for lifting your leg. Don't forget you are injured, not weak. As you heal you will be able to leg raises.
Hope you have a good day, and are comfortable.
 
Hello Ann @Nana moon 27

I have made lots of interesting people on your thread, but you are the most amazing of all.
So very happy that life at home is just want you needed for your recovery.

Take it slowly and at your pace, you have been such a support to others and now is your time to be supported.

Very sorry about your daughter's friends' Mum, it was so sudden and that's adds to the sadness.

Hope that your Mum's cataract surgery goes well for you Both ! As it sounds like you and your Dad will be caring for her together. Loved the wheelie bin and chemist story, like a TV sit comedy.

May tomorrow and all your tomorrow's bring you closer to your full recovery,
Cathie
 
Hi @Pumpkln yikes I've been trying too much, too soon, oops! Thank you so much for that. I'm able to do careful heel slides, foot pumps and contracting back of knee into the bed. I can go up and downstairs, in and out of bed and shower ok. I couldn't wash my hair, so my daughter came over and washed, dried and straightened it. Oh, I felt like a million dollars (who wouldn't want to feel that cash lol!). Seriously though Chris, I'm on the cusp of ODIC by the sounds of it. I'm having my staples out on Monday. This time around the district nurse is coming to my house to remove them. What a luxury! The last time, my husband had to take me to the docs surgery to see the practice nurse and it was awful travelling! Also I have a rare thing...a follow up appointment two weeks after coming out of hospital with the OS. The physiotherapy appointment is booked for towards the end of the month. Wow, what a difference a hospital makes!!! Chris, thanks ever so much for the information. I'll slow it down you know, rein in a bit!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Nana moon 27 I have seen your posts on several of the recovery threads I have been following and came to visit you. I have only made it through your thread since the revision so far. I am glad you are doing well but it sounds like there have been ups and downs in your recovery. Best wishes with your continued recovery. I will be on this side soon and will stop by for a coffee when I am home and unable to visit Starbucks lol. I love coffee especially latte' s. Yummy. Take care of yourself!
 
Hello @Minnie's knees it's lovely to hear from you. I unfortunately was that tiny percentage where it didn't quite work out. I had several mishaps (accidents around the home) after my surgery and they didn't help the situation much.

Before you go into hospital, please ensure that you remove all loose bathroom mats, I ended up slipping on one like a one legged skater. Be aware of ottomans/large footrests, I tripped over these too. Be very aware of how many times you go up and down stairs the first weeks of your recovery. It was only the intervention of @DogLoverx3 who made me realise I'd done 16, yes 16! stair reps on the one day and there was me wondering why my knee was so terribly painful!!! Then I stupidly tried to walk up them normally, one foot per stair in week two of recovery by accident. This time around I'm practically living upstairs where the bathroom is.

The biggest thing for me until I had the mishaps and other problems, was the fact that I no longer had that dreadful bone on bone pain, where it felt broken prior to surgery. That is the biggest relief. If your bathroom is upstairs then you need to make sure your bedroom is your own desert island with plenty of bottled water, snacks and reading material. That will help you immensely.

I noticed you'd commented to one of the others that you were nervous. That's quite normal and to be expected. It is the fear of the unknown. I was awake both times I was operated on and I was awake because I had a spinal. I refused the sedation. I didn't need it. If your nervous have whatever it takes to get you through. Just remember after your op And when your well enough, we will all be waiting to hear from you. You will have messages of support off your Bonesmart friends, waiting for you. It's a lovely feeling knowing you're not alone in this.

The other big thing about this support network is that the Forum Administrators/Moderators will post some very useful articles on your return. They are very short and user friendly and were a lifeline after the surgery for me. There is Josephine who is always on hand to give advice. Her job is in orthopaedics and what she doesn't know isn't worth knowing! Your Bonesmart friends who have already gone through this procedure, will be able to offer advice and suggestions , if you have queries or refer you to someone who can help you.

Minnie you're most welcome to stop by for a virtual coffee latte anytime you want. This thread has the friendliest people. In actual fact everyone's friendly on here. Please feel free to join in and comment in here whenever you want.

You are amongst friends here Minnie and you will be fine xxxx

All my love and best wishes from Nana moon 27 xox big hugs xxx
 
@Nana moon 27 Thank you for your post. I appreciate the advice about bath mats and rugs and sorry you found out the hard way. My nervousness has a lot to do with the unknown. Not so much the surgery itself (although none of us like to be operated on) but more so how quickly it will happen and the recovery and lack of mobility. I am very independent and the caretaker of my family. It will be difficult for me to depend on others but I also know it will be okay. I had to make a few hard decisions this year about work promotion versus my health and taking better care of myself as it was thought I may have had a heart attack a few months ago which thankfully I did not. Getting my knee done is necessary for my overall health. I have pain but not extreme or all the time and could probably wait awhile longer to have it done. However, my other health issues are being affected as I have Rheumatoid and osteoarthritis and the meds affect my liver function and diabetes which becomes a vicious circle. So I have changed positions at work to reduce stress and anxiety, trying to be more compliant with a diabetic diet and moving forward to get knee taken care of. I was surprised you did 16 stair reps in one day :shocked: no wonder your knee was painful. I am sure it is easy to over do it when you start to feel better. We have a 2 story home and I am hoping to get upstairs the day I come home and stay there for a few days. I will have plenty of help for anything I need from downstairs.

I appreciate the support from you and so many others as I prepare for my recovery journey. It really is a very friendly and knowledgeable group of people. It is also a very nice feeling to see lots of alerts each day and knowing those here care and understand the emotions associated with a TKR recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Minnie's knees I was the hub of the household, juggled two jobs, totally in control of everything and the hardest thing for me was letting go of those reins.

Recovery is individual. No two recoveries are the same In type or time scale. We are individual human beings with different genetic make up to each other. I was very misled by joint school which I had to attend. They led us all to believe we'd be back to normal by twelve weeks. Oh no, that was not realistic. You got a few but not many x. I was very disillusioned for a long time but I'm okay now. I accept each day as a step forward towards getting better xxx

It's very hard to be in a situation where for a while you are vulnerable and mobility is a short term issue xxx you will cope and your determination will get you through but you have to delegate stuff to others and that's the hardest part.

You will be fine Minnie, I know you will xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Good morning all. I'm sorry to report today I am in pain but in dealing with it even as I speak. I can't grumble, I've not been too bad really. The knee is hit and stiff today. So ice and elevation today is the must.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning @Nana moon 27 and all coffee clubbers,
I'm sorry to hear that your pain has increased Ann, and hope the meds kick in soon.
I thought your messages to @Minnie's knees were so lovely. She should feel very reassured by hearing of your recovery and your tips will be of great use to her. Already it seems such a long time ago when we were both congratulating each other on those small achievements, and yet we now realise there was no hurry, whatever we did our knees had their own schedule, and that was what mattered.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @Ellejay lovely to hear from you. The pain is slowly going off and I will get up in a while. I just popped across to Dogloverx3 thread and read that fantastic news. What a good girl. Passing her test on the qt like that. Oh you are most certainly going to be fine Lyn, definitely. You will have so much care that will give your husky and a break.

Thank you, I wasn't sure how positive my posts were to Minnie. You know yourself what a mountain I've climbed here but I wanted her to know that the bone pain from before had gone. I didn't want any mishaps to befall her but as soon as I read how she works, juggles her job, family , it was like I was reading my life at the start before all this and I needed to try and make her aware of the importance of rest xxx I wouldn't wish some parts of my recovery on anyone. Worse still some of it was avoidable , if only I'd have rested. I tried to do too much too soon. I know that now. I think being misled by the joint school was the worst offender, followed by the enhanced recovery scheme they ran at the last hospital. Strangely it wasn't like that this time at this hospital. Their exercise sheets said ERS but there was no sign of it.

What was really good for me was I was allowed to use a walker in my first day which helped immensely. I felt safe using this as opposed to being forced on to crutches at the previous hospital which had led to my two falls. I'm certain that was the start of all my problems to be honest. I will never, ever, as long as I live, allow a PT to force me into doing something like that again, if I feel I'm not ready or safe. I totally agree with the principle of getting us moving, they have to. Otherwise it would be too easy to not move because of the initial discomfort from the surgery.

Yes, you're right, it does only seem a few weeks we were congratulating each other on our achievements, no matter how small you recovered wonderfully. I still think it was to do with the yoga/Pilates that you did. I think good quad strength prior to surgery is a must. I think that helps immensely. I will make sure my quads are amazing before I have the next one done (I'm hoping it won't come to this).

Anyway, have a fabulous Sunday, enjoy your holiday and please take care x x x x oh what's your weather like? It's cold and sunny, slightly overcast here.

Love Ann xox big hugs
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, Hope by this time some of the pain you were having earlier has resolved and you continue to feel better ever so soon. I am doing pretty well and when I come back from church with mom and home attendant, I am craving already for a nap and will do my knee exercises as my knee has become a bit stiff. Hope you are enjoying your day. Will chat with you guys later. Hope everyone has a blessed day. Take good care of yourselves. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi Ann just calling in to say hi. Hope youre resting today if your knee is a little stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning Ann - sorry you woke in pain but sounds like things are shaping up with the mantras - have a terrific day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a nasty (unusual) experience where my stomach injection (Clexane) wouldn't go straight in to the fat on my stomach. I've had to push it a bit more than normal. I released the liquid slowly but ooh I think I'm in for a bruise. I only have two more left to use, then I can stop. Woohoo xxx Unfortunately, last night I forgot to do it, otherwise tomorrow would've been the last day xxxx

Prior to this to say my staples were itching me is an understatement. They are coming out tomorrow. I asked my husband to have a peek at the bottom of the wound area. He lifted the dressing up at the bottom, frowned and said it looks fine but a large scab had fallen out in front of him and grossed him out. Poor thing lol xxx

He's so desperate to get the end of the fishing season. Unfortunately, there is no one else who can help look after me, or even pop in, so he's stuck and I feel terribly guilty. I know people do this recovery on their own, which is what I said to him but he won't have it. I'm on two sticks and am sure I could probably manage. The problem is the very weak and worn left knee is struggling to cope with the right revision. He's scared I'll fall downstairs or slip in the shower. I said I have a mobile phone it wouldn't be a problem. My daughter (eldest) said categorically no!!! He's had plenty of time up there, this year. Trouble is, I know this is the main run for the fish. The high tides are due and the rivers had some fresh water from the rain. I also know this man needs a break from a second stint of caring. I know he's pining xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Nana moon 27 Your posts were very positive. really appreciate your honesty about your recovery and how caring you are to be looking out for others like me who will just be starting a recovery journey soon. I had gathered from some of your posts that we are alike in many ways 're our busy lives with family work,etc and it always helps to hear from others who have been through this. I am learning to do thatt more the last few months but it is not easy. I am not having a joint class and maybe that is a good thing. But I have many people I work with that think it's an easy surgery and are surprised I will be out several weeks. I know from reading on bonesmart it's not an easy surgery and recovery will take awhile. I am so glad to have found bonesmart.

Hope you don't get a bruise from the injection and congrats on the staples coming out tomorrow.
 
Hi @Minnie's knees I'm glad that you are preparing yourself mentally. It is worthwhile going to the joint class as they do give you some very useful information. However, over here in England they're a little misleading regarding recovery time. This, though has to be your decision.

May I say that you suggest to your colleagues, that they log onto YouTube and watch a knee replacement being done. Don't do this yourself until after your op and only then if your not squeamish.(FYI I haven't watched it) The same advice can be given to unsympathetic friends and family. That will shut everyone up about it being an easy operation. It is very complex and is also considered major surgery. This is why recovery takes so long.

I will let you know about the staples coming out. The last time it did not hurt at all and I was fine. It's nice because I'm not at all worried this time around surprisingly. That's the beauty of knowing what to expect. I did my own injections in hospital too. They are only small and don't usually hurt. However, the nurse did the first one and bruised me so I did my own after that. Much better xxx

It's lovely to hear from you Minnie. If there is anything you want to ask us, please feel free. If we can't help you we will refer you to someone who can xxxxx

Lots of love from Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27 I am not squeamish and have already seen a video of the surgery. I probably shouldn't have. I have already told my husband if he isn't taking good care of me or thinks I should be doing more than I am able to do I will make him watch it. He is :yikes: of watching it lol.
 
@Minnie's knees please take that suggested return to work time with a pinch of salt. I don't know what job you do but there's not many you can return to in only 8 weeks. This is what misled me, the unrealistic timescales. I thought I'd have the op and be great and up and running by week 4. How wring was I? Don't get me wrong Minnie but some people do recover in that time but not too many. I'm trying to warn you to be prepared, I don't want you to feel a failure at eight weeks like I did, which on hindsight is ridiculous xxx expect longer and if you do return sooner, that'll be a bonus. I think you'll possibly be looking more like 12 weeks xxx


Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck this morning with the staple removal Ann, you will feel so much better when they are out, both psychologically and physically. It's a positive, measurable step along the recovery path, something to tick off and know you are 'getting there'.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom