Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Oh good heavens - what is going on?! Just keep your mind and your voice (!) active Ann and insist on what you want and need. Tell them you want more info. Have they given you a revision and if so why weren't you warned beforehand? It sounds like much more than 'patella resurfacing'. What did they find when they opened the knee up? They just keep things covered up and as the patient YOU are entitled to know. Keep smiling. At least you're being useful there - to the other patients at least!
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, Ann, I just cannot, or I guess I can believe the awful treatment and care the staff is doling out. You know we all think that is just appalling. No human beings should be treated as such. Oh my the letter you will have to write once you get out to those in charge. You must let the director of the hospital know the type of care that is being given in their facility. I would be speaking with patient relations. Not certain what the titles of the individuals are called there. You know what I mean. Right now the main focus is better pain management and to get the heck out of there. You know your doctor best. I hate to say it but I am beginning not to trust your OS. If he cannot look you into the eye as he did before, something is wrong. For you to be still dealing with your knee now something is not right. At all. I would have someone looking through that chart, but we will go into that later. Right now take good care of yourself and that is wonderful that you are able to be a mouth piece for the other patients who are unable and who have no one to speak for them. Ann there is a star for you somewhere. You are an extraordinary person. Take good care of yourself. Try to ask for the pain med 1/2 hour to 45 minutes earlier so when they do arrive with it, it will be at the time needed. How in the world did you land on that ward? Prayers are being sent for you to be home to manage your own care. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@Nana moon 27 (I just lost my entire post to you.:tantrum2:) I am puzzled too. Why would they not explain what they did in surgery? That makes no sense. Did they do a revision? I would think they would tell you that. This was the OS your originally thought you would have? I hope you are able to get your hands on your operative report.
It sounds as though your pain is better managed now. I certainly hope so. I can't imagine the situation you are in and as @DogLoverx3 has said how the medical system works across the pond. Many prayers for you Ann,
x x x
~~~hopefaith
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry my friend. I"m no expert, but yes, it does sound like you've had a revision which means your recovery will be along the lines of your 1st go around as far as time frame. I don't write this to upset you by any means, but I think it would be worse to think you'll be up and running around in a couple of weeks when that's not the reality. :-( I am horrified by the hospital itself, the staff and your surgeon. I hope you are released to go home soon. xoxoxoxo
 
Ann @Nana moon 27 - I have just caught up with every thing that was happening to you and around you yesterday. Sorry for the silence. It wasn't that I wasn't thinking about you - just lying low trying to forget that it was my birthday and how old I am getting (plus being wined and dined:heehee:) - so consequently did not log on. I didn't find out about all the problems that you have had until I just looked now. Wow! So much has happened.

In some ways (although it must be really painful, yet again) you must feel pleased and totally vindicated now it's been sorted. It was obvious that your knee was not in good shape. It wasn't just the patella business - it was something a lot more serious. I just wish health professionals would believe us when we just know that something is not quite right.
OMG I am not only appalled and deeply sorry for all you are having to put up with, but also really upset that our once amazing NHS can now provide worse care than a 3rd world country. No wonder our friends across the pond are horrified and cannot fathom what is going on.
(Just as an aside, on Tuesday I had to go for some tests at the GP's and the Practice Nurse caught a glimpse of the TKR scar. She asked where it had been done and said 'Lucky you' as the private hospital that I use is very good. She then went on to say that she doesn't ever want to be treated by the NHS and is trying to budget for private health care) . Ooops sorry - 'soapbox moment' narrowly avoided!

Back to your surgery, I must admit to thinking from the outset that an overnight stay may be a tad optimistic on your part, despite your OS telling you so. @DogLoverx3 is right, you will be recovering from this in the same way as the TKR. But this time it will be good, and right and will work!
Oh boy - the description of your surgeon's body language certainly sends out some worrying messages - I think the Registrar's candid description is nearer the mark as to how much has been done. I don't know how easy it will be for you to get copies of your notes - but if you can, I think they would be useful to have and make very interesting reading (but there again, who knows if everything has been put down and what may have been 'not deemed necessary to record'? - I really wouldn't trust anybody these days).

Well my lovely Ann, I am sending huge hugs and love that your pain is being dealt with properly, that you are not being too disturbed by other patients and that you will be able to escape back home very soon.

Take great care of yourself and talk soon XXX
 
Happy birthday @ Dogwheels hope you had a great day!

@Nana moon 27 please get someone to talk to you! You have a right to know what they did - perhaps tag Josephine for UK help!! We care but does sound more like a revision.
 
Oh no Ann I'm so sorry you had to go thru this. This is the same experience I had with my hip
I'm just curious here in ny they discharge after 3 days to rehab. Is that the same over there? The morphine I'm sorry to say will make you a little wacky. Do they use the pump?
Hoping you eat out soon. I know how crazed the health are system is, As these people have total control over every one of your body parts needs. Crying and moaning are so heart wrenching to hear. 2 weeks ago when bf was in another rehab a lady kept calling out help me. Finally I walked in and asked if I can do something fir her. She was all tangled up in her wires and stuck in the wheel chairs wheels then I would stop by her room every day to see if she needed anything. I told my daughter if I ever have to go to a home " drug and overdose me first' please get string and feel better. Sending you live and hugs and hoping this nightmare will become a sweet dream
Love susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Ann Hoping that your surgery will help things feel better but sorry that your hospital experience was so uncomfortable. Maybe your surgeon did not know how to tell you what was involved not wanting to scare you but it would make you curious wondering why you were told you would be home so soon and then have to stay in the hospital longer.

Hoping that by replacing the spacer they have found where the problem was and hopefully they have done this surgery properly and your recovery is going to get easier for you. My night mare is that I will ever see again the things that some elderly people are put through my Dad for one sorry you had to see how some people professional or not deal with things that they forget should be handled with compassion and aren't.

Happy you can go home after it is all settled how much can you be expected to handle. I have promised my husband that no matter what he will never go through the indignities that my wonderful patient Dad did and no matter what I will never let him be treated the way I saw them treat him. I just won't. I know how you must have felt hearing them cry for help and then belittled asking for a bedpan and being denied that nurse was in the wrong profession.

So upsetting to see what people go through when they get older sometimes people do not realize that no matter how old someone is or whatever their health issues mental issues or physical they still have feelings and they still feel and have a need for love and kindness. I would not wish on anyone to deal with the things that my Dad did when he had his stroke and placed in a home still have nightmares and will not ever see my husband go into a place where things happen that way never. When you get home take time for relaxing you deserve it . I was treated pretty alright in the hospital but had a few older women in my room that were having problems and felt for them but the nurses thank goodness that we had were patient and caring.

Hoping you can talk to your surgeon and he will be honest with you and explain why and what they did during your surgery and may give you some understanding why things have been so difficult hoping that they did not make a mistake the first time around and this is why you have been in so much pain but also wishing they have finally found a way to help and give you the relief that you so much deserve. You have been through so much and so much deserve a happy ending Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ann I'm so sorry. I just wanted you to go in this time have a successful procedure. Your OS come to your bedside and say I'm so sorry you've been through so much. It was my fault. I've corrected it and you've been very brave and I apologise. But no he won't look you in the eye, you've had a bigger procedure than you thought and to top it all off you've seen the worst of our NHS. You deserve a medal to stay so cheerful in all of this. Sending hugs for a brighter weekend ❤️

On a brighter note Happy birthday @dogwheels. I hope you celebrated in style. ❤️



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Nana moon 27 Lots of hugs xXxX I,m confused - is this your original surgeon or the one you should have had ?
Sounds as though once they opened up your knee they discovered the patella was not the only problem.
I,m glad they were able to deal with it there and then instead of another op!
By the way , a revision is any follow-up surgical procedure that relates to the initial surgery. So the patella and spacer replacement is a revision of the original tkr -- just the same as removing and replacing implants would be. I had a total of nine procedures connected to my mastectomy and reconstruction; everything apart from the original event was categorized as a revision.
Hang in there. Jen
 
Hi all.

I think I'm honestly glad that it's done, they obviously found something and now hopefully I'm on the road to recovery.

Everything is so nice and quiet today/tonight since they sorted that poor lady out thank goodness. They given her adequate pain meds and she has chatted merrily this evening bless her with us. The wandering dementia lady decided to strip off and walk round topless, so I had to get a nurse, ooh I really didn't need to see that. Yikes!!!

@dogwheels Happy Birthday my lovely friend. :martini: Cheers!!! I know you said you were trying to hide from it but I hope it was okay xxxx

I'm absolutely shattered but going to bed happy in the knowledge that I've made a lady's life a little better! She's sleeping like a baby x Goodnight all hope you're all ok. Love Nana moon 27 xox big hugs xox
 
@Nana moon 27 I cannot believe everything you have gone through. YOu are so strong. Go ahead give it a good cry. I was right there with you as I was reading your posts. It is sad to think the surgeon would not admit there was a mistake the first time. I do believe these knees are not routine surgery on anyone. Everyone has a different issue and depending on how their knee looks prior to surgery also affects everything else including the implant itself. I am praying for you. Hang in there
 
Hi all thank you for your lovely messages.
@Chihuahuan this is the surgeon that originally did the op. I've had to transfer hospitals so he could put it right which I'm beginning to think he's right. It feels different despite the pain. @DogLoverx3 funnily I told my kids I don't want that pouffee/ottoman anywhere near me lol xxx

Anyhow, I've slept a good few hours solid, it's been a quiet night considering where I am. I've just had a lovely cup of tea, I'm quite relaxed and I'm feeling happier about staying here now. It's just weird how they're not pushing me into going home.Normally they can't get you out quick enough xxx

Catch you later
Love Ann (Nana moon 27) xxx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 - so glad that things seem to be progressing well, despite the recent ouch this morning. I expect you want to get home as soon as poss. However, I wouldn't mind betting that they aren't discharging yet to keep an eye on you, just to check that all is well. Your consultant will be wanting it to be textbook this time.
I think it is interesting that it feels 'different' - onwards and upwards, you will be feeling so much better by Christmas!
@Chihuahuan makes a good point, it might be a bit of a drag that they did all the work in addition to the patella, but thankfully they did it in one hit, rather than have to go back in at a later date.
Well I am keeping this short so you don't have troubles reading on your iphone.
Hang on in there Ann, we are all cheering you on ......
Much love XXX (PS - Remember to keep your top on - no flashing from you my girl!)
 
When I was in hospital for PKR, you had to ring for someone to escort you to the loo. I took so long to eek out a pee the aids walked away and I had to buzz for someone to walk me back to bed. For some reason, I don't think this was the case for you! The hospital I went to has private rooms on ortho floor for everyone. The hospital I was in for mastectomies also had private rooms on the women's floor. I thought that was great as It was easier to get some sleep. Most floors in both hospitals have two to a room. I can't imagine the chaos in the ward you were on. I would have been deeply disturbed, as you were, at the crying and pleading of others. You made a huge difference in that lady's life. You are an angel.
Sorry for the spasm but glad to hear it feels "differently". Please let us know the whole story when you get it and when they plan to release you. Wishing you far better pain control and a more caring staff for you this weekend. Christie
P.S.-I read an article in the Atlanta which featured pictures and quotes from my OS. He is of the belief that all TKR's will soon be done on an outpatient basis! Insane! Very dangerous for patients as pain control and complications could be serious issues. I was shocked to hear that from him.
 
Hi all I'm okay

I hope that you are all keeping well and recovering well. This revision is very painful x

The ouch moment this morning was so awful. I had liquid morphine to shift the pain. I alternated between sitting up in the chair at the side of the bed. Lying on the bed with the bottom of the mattress elevated and walking slowly on both crutches to the toilet a number of times. I have read until my eyes are sore so I distracted myself from the pain. I found out I could've gone home today but as I'd had the liquid they couldn't discharge me. I had to have it an hour and a half ago when the pain got so unbearable I couldn't function xxx I want to try not to have it tomorrow so I can try to go home. However with what happened this morning I'd've ended up in A&E and back here quite frankly xxx

The lady with the mental health issues is doing so well now. She stood up to two of the nurses today, she communicated clearly with the doctor. She has had two X-rays, one hip, one chest, lots of blood tests. The doctor has adjusted her meds, wow what a difference to the wretched creature I saw on Monday. I think she feels accepted and comfortable with us now. She talks to everyone on our little bay now and to see that is just amazing xxxx

Nighty night all my love from Nana moon 27 xxxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom