Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

I had an awful night last night, just as thru were going to give me pain med before my tablets because of I was climbing the walls with pain, an emergency occurred. A dying man his upset relatives someone from theatre and a man with dementia were all admitted on to the ward. Therefore I did not get any meds until midnight by which time the meds had completely worn off. Worse still it was my first day without my morphine block. Instead of giving me the fast acting liquid they have me the slow release tablets which didn't work!!! The pain was too great. After two hours I called her to tell her and they finally gave me the liquid. This did not work for the first hour by now it was turned 3am and I'd had enough. I slept through exhaustion. I woke up in awful pain a different nurse came in and I sobbed. She did no more she put her arm round me and I went into meltdown crying shaking the lot. She said its because of all I'd been through the last nine months that ok the pain was the sin issue but this coping and pretending all is fine has taken its toll on me XX I'm hoping to be home tomorrow or Saturday xxx catch you later xx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Poor Ann - you must be exhausted! Sounds as if you'll be far better off when you can be home and medicate on the clock and get some peace and sleep. Wishing today is much better for you!! :angel:
 
((hugs)) ... I'm so sorry Ann and hope that they've finally gotten your pain meds sorted (like @TexasTee mentioned earlier, I do hope they send you home with a different combination of meds than morphine. I was sent home with Oxycontin extended release 1 every 12 hours and oxycodone 1-2 every 4 hours). Please take care of yourself! xoxoxo
 
Ann,
(((((Hugs)))))
What a horrible experience. Hoping they have your pain under control from here on. It does take you places you never would wish on anyone.
More (((((hugs))))).
I will be back later to check on you.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Ooh Ann. I just hope you get home soon and can be in charge of your own meds. Well done for having a cry with that kindly nurse; just exactly what you needed. Heal, relax, rest (ice, elevate, etc!!) but lie back and recover. :console2: <3
:chillpill:
 
Oh, Ann. It sounds awful! So sorry that you had to go thru this. So true what is said about getting behind in the meds. You are far too wonderful to have to go thru this pain. Hoping today is better and when you get home you'll be able to get on a real schedule.
 
@Nana moon 27 So sorry to hear what you went through. I hope it is much better by now. I really am sorry you had to go through all of that pain. It is horrendous, I know.
I hope you are able to get home soon and take the meds. on schedule. That is so important, as we all know.
x x x
~~hopefaith
 
Hi Ann I am so sorry to hear that you had so much pain with your knee and hope they get it under control to help the pain from this surgery can be so unbearable and I never had this type of pain to till surgery. Hope that they can find a better pain medication and sort it out before you go home. The surgery is more then enough to deal with without the added pain to. You have been very patient and brave through all you have handled and hoping that with this surgery things will get easier. Wishing you the best and thinking of you Holly
 
Ann,
We miss you in the Limeriks thread, here is a recent one I thought you would enjoy. Of course we have zipped right past this one and are on to the next one already.

Hurray, in Sydney Spring has sprung
The best time of year to be young
Blossoms on trees
Full of the birds and the bees
And oats waiting to be flung?

I hope and pray tonight your pain is under control,
 
So sorry about your awful experience! Sometimes things just are not fair. I hope by now you are much more comfortable. Now that the emergencies are over, please don't hesitate to communicate any pain issues to your nurses and keep the pressure on until it's resolved. After all that, they owe you!
 
Hi all

Wow, I'm totally overwhelmed and flattered by the response and warmth off you all regarding my surgery. The surgeon saw me the other day. I have to get this off my chest. One of my skills which I also teach, is communication which includes body language. Please bear this in mind as you read on.

As you know I had a spinal and was wide awake throughout the procedure. When I met with him preoperatively he said I'd be in one day out the next. This was not the case. Finally the day after the op he came dos and started to talk about the revision. It was a clear case of mouth saying one thing but body language, eye contact and posture told me differently. I asked if he found anything wrong. He looked at his feet and said not really but we replaced your spacer. I asked why they'd replaced that, he again looked down and said something about it had to come out as they couldn't clean out behind the joint with that in. My husband asked me what I honestly thought. I said I think he found a mistake and wasn't telling me the full truth. Normally this man makes good eye contact and us very direct. My friend said she couldn't understand why I'd been in theatre from 9.15-11.45. However, when you read @Pumpkln's graphic account of revision I think it explains why it took so long xxxx

Well I'm on a ward with people with dementia, mental health issues etc. There has not been one dull moment. I can't stand how one of the patients is being treated. She has no relatives, she's got mental health issues and they keep ignoring her. She's fallen out of the chair three times. Doc came out only once. Not sent her for x rays. She has been crying with pain in her hip. I've had to call the nurses twice to deal with her as she can never find her buzzer. Ages lying screaming "help me please the pain I can't take it". She keeps holding her left hip. Finally because of my intervention they've just fetched her some pain killers. I'm appalled. Last night (my horrible night) an immobile lady in the next bed was crying as she needed a bedpan. The nurse fetched it put it under her and left her to it. When she returned the lady hadn't used it. The nurse really moaned at her. The lady cried saying I can't do anything right in here. Fifteen minutes later she was crying for the bedpan and couldn't find her buzzer. I buzzed. The same nurse cane. The lady said I need the bedpan urgently now. The nurse said very sharply that she'd only had it fifteen minutes ago and didn't need it and therefore didn't need it now and walked away leaving the woman to cry. It's heartbreaking. The problem is worse at night when the staffing levels are so low. One nurse and one health care assistant to ten patients in each bay. Controlled drugs have to be signed out by two qualified nurses.

I told my mom straight this afternoon when she visited that I would not let her come here to be looked after. Ooh the thought. I've seen mom and dad every afternoon. Dads been brave and driven each day. It's been so lovely to see them. Anyway ill catch you laterxxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
What a nightmare, at least you were able to call the nurses for the other patients.
Sounds like they took out scar tissue, another reason you are in so much pain. You really won't know until you get a copy of your op report.
Hope you are able to go home ASAP.
Sleep when you can.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Hello Ann @Nana moon 27

Your surgery and post-op have been harrowing and the conversation with your OS showed more through his body language than his actual words.

Hope that you will soon be home, your medication adequate to control your pain and that you will begin your recovery in a warm and safe environment with your family.

Take care,
Cathie
 
What a nightmare! Hope you get home soon. My hospital was the Ritz Carlton next to yours! Definately sounds like something was wrong with your spacer - wrong size, broken? I don't know what can happen but doesn't sound like it was ever right.

The important thing now is to recover. I believe you will now have your life back Anne!

Love and hugs!
JoAnne
 
@Nana moon 27, sorry to hear of your nightmare. I too have witnessed the same. Food put in front of patients who couldn't feed themselves and taken away uneaten same with drinks. Patients needing help but unable to reach their buzzers. Wet beds as the result of bedpans coming far too late. Pain medications coming hours late. I appreciate emergencies ( and have seen many) delaying treatment of others. I have also experienced horrible side effects due to staff not realizing why I need medication when I ask for it. I have also been told to "toughen up" when asking for pain meds although it was obvious that I was in lots of pain. The last admission I asked to see the ward manager and that worked wonders. She apologised and sorted out a lot of problems that I shouldn't have been having. I wish that I'd have had the courage to do it before.

I'm glad your operation is over and you should be home soon. I hope that it sorts out all your pain and problems.
 
Hi all

Now I'm really puzzled. After I had my consultation I told you all on here that I would be coming into hospital, an overnight stay, then home x finally I get some sense of what's happened when, this morning, the registrar came. I explained about the pain and the issues I'm having trying to keep on top of the pain, the dreadful pain through the patella area which rips through and nearly gives way because of the pain. He said "well you have had major surgery!" I said with jaw open "oh, I didn't know". He said I have to treat it like a TKR and really take my time with it. So still not going home yet. They're having to give me liquid morphine in between to keep me going I was upset about this but there's no choice xxx

@Josephine I would appreciate your input please. What do you think about this? What is your opinion re the awful pain and the sudden change of plan by the surgeon?

Thanks again for your lovely messages. Beginning to manage the iPhone here ok but it's tiny and a bit time consuming but nice to know I can post at least once a day or so. xxxx

Totally baffled
Love Nana moon 27 xox big hugs to all xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom