Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

@Nana moon 27

Dear Ann,

What a day you have experienced, the good and the bad.
Talk about a roller coaster of emotions.

I have some family in the UK, so have only a little knowledge of the NHS (for our US friends - National Health Service).

It seems like you are now a victim of the bureaucracy of the NHS and it can be a tangle web.

So sorry for your disappointing outcome of the afternoon appointment.

Hopefully, there may be a more positive outcome for you and Soon !!!

With kindness & warmth,
Cathie
 

FYI...

Extended Scope Practitioners Service
What are they?
Extended Scope Practitioners are highly qualified expert therapists who work in an extended role and provide a range of interventions which include treatment, education and advice. They act as a first point of contact in secondary care assessing patients in lieu of consultants.

They provide a service in the hospitals running clinics along side the consultants as well as in some GP surgeries and are competent to order investigations such as MRI scans, x-rays and blood tests. They use their advanced clinical reasoning skills to ensure that the patients are put on to the right treatment pathway with the aim to restore, maintain and improve a person’s function and movement and therefore maximise their quality of life.
 
Thank you for your sympathy (and rants) quite rightly! It was so overwhelming and kind the support I've received and I can't thank you enough xox big hugs! I'm ok but it's not helped my mental state much I'm afraid. I'm sure after a good sleep I will be ok again xxxx

I've decided to focus on getting my right TKR sorted out first, start the ball rolling with my left knee, with the apologetic surgeon, only if he manages to sort out my TKR to satisfaction. I need to get back to work, start driving, get my life back on track. Then start seeing about getting the left knee sorted.

I'm really sorry I'm not myself tonight, I'm very, deeply upset. I was that bad tonight, I begged my husband to drop me at mom and dad's for a couple of hours, which he did. It kind of helped but I'm still very down. I need to sleep this off now. I've been up since 6.30 am and I think I'm overwrought/tired.

Please bear with me tonight, I'm not usually like this, that's how I know I'm overtired. Once again, thank you all for your wonderful kindness and support xxxxx

Goodnight my friends
Love Ann (Nana moon 27) xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dearest Anne, @Nana moon 27

I think we all understand how you feel. :console2::friends: I wish we were closer, so we could all give you real hugs, instead of virtual ones.

Thank you for posting the description of what and Extended Scope Practitioner is/does.
Quite honestly, the job sounds like something made up by a public servant!

Extended Scope Practitioners are highly qualified expert therapists

No mention of what qualification they have! Are they doctors, or what?

are competent to order investigations such as MRI scans, x-rays and blood tests. They use their advanced clinical reasoning skills to ensure that the patients are put on to the right treatment pathway

That's just codswallop! If they don't have the proper medical training, their "advanced clinical reasoning skills" aren't worth a heap of beans. As for the "right treatment pathway"- that's just more public health piffle and waffle.

I'm truly sorry you got trapped in the bureaucratic mill. The NHS is probably like our public health system, here in NZ - really good for emergencies, but full of dead ends for elective treatments and surgeries.
 
I'd never heard of an ESP before @Nana moon 27 and @Celle. You learn something everyday. I looked it up -
Looks as though a study was commissioned and consultants reckoned that 43% of all GP orthopaedic/musculoskeletal referrals were inappropriate. To address the problem they could have either addressed the referral problems with the GP's or do what they did - and using senior physiotherapists, 'super train' them to act as ESP's.
Looks as though they are widespread throughout the NHS. I have immense regard for physios, but with all due respect - I would far sooner see an Orthopaedic Consultant.

Sending lots and lots of love and hugs to you Ann. Hope you feel a bit better in the morning.

XXOOXX
 
Yep physiotherapists with extra skills. I saw this same lady in February which I even gave her the exact date which she was shocked at. She was great back in February, this time oh no xxxx
 
Hi @Chihuahuan I was ever so shocked at her. I expected her to be like she was in February.

Honestly, with her physio background she was able to explain things really well before.

It's just the fact I waited so long for this appointment expecting to see a result of some description today and nothing. She was so dismissive and that made me cross and end up telling her what she'd said to me in February. Then she gives me that horse manure answer. Sorry but when someone insults my intelligence like that I don't like it. My mom said it's because she was dismissive and managed to fob me off, (her words were "got one over you") was probably why I was so upset xxx

I should've gone straight to PALS (Patient and Liaison Service) really and put an immediate complaint in. Too late now. Xxx
 
Hi @dogwheels very early in in my thread I explained about the distinct lack of consultant input at the hospital. I saw a registrar once, who I argued my case with, he spoke to the consultant and then I was eventually referred. After that I never met a single consultant until after things went wrong and then I was finally referred to the stand in surgeon by the Hospital, the first surgeon I met in all this time and I didn't meet him before or even after my op x I'm probably better off seeing what happens now xxxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Hi @Celle

Their background with the extra training makes them an ideal candidate for assessing and dealing with need. Unfortunately, they are being used as pseudo doctors, not their fault, it's the flipping job role x However, I do feel that the final word should be with an OS XXX
 
Sorry Ann :sorry: I think the whatever her title is, needed a quick kick in the patoot. You have waited so long. Good to concentrate on your upcoming surgery, but would be nice to know what's going on with the other. Maybe you could put a call into the hospital/surgeon/whoever and get on record that you want an x ray of your left knee as long as you'll be there. You need to it on record, what happened today, and they need to make it right. xoxoxox I hope you sleep well.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom