Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Morning all

I am having the strangest new thing/sensation with my TKR. Not only do I have pain but the clunking has now been replaced by a yukky, creaking, crepitus type sound like before it was done. I went to try and straighten to do some leg raises, the tv was on and my husband said "what the hay is that?" I bent it then straightened it to its usual permanent bent position as much as I could and it happened again. He was horrified. He said that it shouldn't make that kind of noise surely. I said that I wouldn't have thought so. Anyway, it's just a matter of time now before it will be revised and hopefully that'll do it xxx

I'm going to be a bit more careful this morning and not make another mistake with them. The vomiting yesterday morning was hideous. I dislike being sick intensely. I made the mistake of taking my antibiotic which has to go in on an empty stomach and no food for 1 &1/2 hr that was fine. Well I accidentally took two other tablets at the same time not realising they have to be taken with food. You can guess the rest...yuk!

I'm having a day of pottering round the house today so that's going to be nice. Husbands taking the car up to the garage for an oil and filter change. Lucky for us his bil owns one. He's making sure the care is fine ready for the holiday with the kids on Sunday xxx they're terribly excited xxx

Catch you later I will check for posts later this morning. I hope everyone's ok? All my love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:hi:
@Nana moon 27
Hi Ann, so sorry to hear first about your medication upset yesterday making you so sick. And then today to have the unusual knee clicking sounds- you're right to just potter around today, as your away trip is starting on Saturday . Hopefully, when you see your OS in both hospitals in. September they may have some answered for this new development.

Enjoy the rest of your day and happy caravan in with family at the weekend.


Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Now if I can get the pain management dr I am seeing next week to "understand" that I need meds not only when I am in pain...BUT to alleviate PAIN, that prevents me from exerising.
You are right, keeping the pain under good control will allow you to do more, and have a better outlook on life.
Here is a link to an article about why good pain control is important.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ing-pain-after-a-tkr-and-the-pain-chart.7969/

@Nana moon 27 ,
I have a velcro ripping sound and lots of crepitus (crunchy) in my TKR knee, surgeon said it is scar tissue, he gave me an exercise that seems to be helping.
Everyone have a good evening and good nights rest,
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pumpkln that's mine!!!!! Exactly that noise, it's revolting. Coupled with that new swelling in the lower right hand side of the knee joint that is red hot, it's flipping worrying. Oh well at least I can describe it like that. I now feel like I need to use two crutches instead of one, I'm so struggling. Would you be willing to share the exercise or would it be better to wait and see what happens after he does my knee? Xxxxx

Love Ann xxxx
 
I need to use two crutches instead of one,
Me too!
In sitting, I straighten my knee, hold 6 seconds, and repeat 5x, 3x a day. I increased reps by 1 daily until I reached 10x, 3x a day. I do them in the morning, around lunch, and then at dinner or bed time. If at any time the # of reps causes discomfort I drop back 1 rep for a few days. My experience is this helped me.
 
Morning all

I slept so well last night for the first time in ages! Woohoo! I had the bed to myself all night because my husband slept on the sofa after watching tv! Only thing is I have a stinking rotten headache but never mind. It will go x x

I hope you are all ok? I will check in later x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening @Nana moon 27 - how has your day been? Hope you managed to kick the headache.
Fascinating about your hippy finger! Somebody I know here has got skin cancer on her leg - too much sunbathing sadly. It really isn't too good and they had to take a big chunk of leg away, and replaced it with a bit from her thigh. I saw her recently and she said her leg is fine but her thigh is still agony.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, I miss you guys when I am away and I seem to miss so much as well. It is so good to see the love is here even when one is away for a few days. I actually have been so exhausted between working and going back to PT twice a week that I have just come home and bath, and bed. My older son has been doing most of the cooking, though I did make eggplant Parmesan from the egg plant I picked in my front yard that had been growing. @Nana moon 27, I just cannot believe the unfortunate set backs you have had. You just keep right on going like the Duracel battery bunny with your wonderful spirit and always caring about others while you yourself are in pain. I certainly hope you are feeling so much better. I know September cannot come soon enough for you.
The pain has been doable with pain medicine. I just went to the pain management doctor who feels for me. I can tell she empathizes with me. She increased my pain meds and was trying to figure a way that I could go out on disability. I don't think I am at that point and would like to try to work for about two and a half more years and take an early retirement. The only stickler is I don't get benefit coverage after I leave employment at the hospital. Paying for a plan is expensive. So I have to work that part out.And not all plans cover the meds for RA completely as my insurance now currently does. The Biologic medication I was on (Rituxan) which did not even work is $40, 000.00 a year. That's a down payment on a house. I was on that med for a year and a half.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @chestnc oh I'm sorry you are so tired of your pain and your unsupportive supervisor. That was sound advice off your union rep. Make sure not only the date but time and exact location the conversation took place. What a rude woman especially when she knows you're not well...you know that phrase what comes around...well you know the rest. She does not sound like someone that you could even go to in confidence and disclose about your RA.

Yes I want this surgery to get here, so I can get on with my life. Worse still my non TKR knee hurts so bad even through all the morphine!

Take care my friend
Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Morning everyone

I'm not sure why but I seem to be sleeping longer this week. The only difference is the antidepressant I'm taking. Maybe it's that. Whatever it it a blessed relief.

I hope you've all slept well or had a good day/evening ready to settle down for the night and get plenty of good quality sleep.

I'm looking forward to reading your posts and catching up with what is going on.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Jozilla I'm doing okay. Decided to reduce morphine by 10mg today. I think the antidepressant is helping mask the pain from my knee. This happened the same preoperatively until I was made to come off them for surgery. That's when I really felt the pain! X so I'm going to see what happens. Also I keep feeling nauseous but I've been back on 80/90 mg per day so I think that's what's been causing it. Xxxx how are you? Xxx
Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Dosbichons - good advice from @Nana moon 27. As she says, any exercise is better than nothing.

Regarding the PT at home, what worked for me (and I have mentioned this to others on this site) is little and often. I had different exercises that I did in certain places and certain times and the event or location triggered my memory to do 10 reps. So:
Once I had showered, I massaged the scar then 10 heel slides followed by 10 hamstring curls before getting dressed.
While boiling the kettle 10 lunges or knee bends.
(Excuse this!) Sitting on the toilet, 10 slides.
Every time I pass the stairs 10 lunges on them.
Each time I took a cup of tea to husband in his study, sit on desk with legs dangling and bend knee underneath 10 times.
Seated heel slides whenever the news came on TV
Then used my mini pedaller while supper was cooking each evening and 10 of whatever exercise I fancied before bed.
I found this manageable, it didn't wear me out, plus my memory was jogged to keep the knee moving.
Just an idea!

XX
 
Hi @Nanamoon27 Hope you are doing great and it is great to hear that you managed to get a good nights rest. I was reading your posts about arthritis and how they replaced your finger bone with hip bone. How amazing what they can do now and how much it can improve the way we get along. @dogwheels sometimes just have to wonder if people think before they say some of the things they do. It is good that your daughter stood up about the hearing aid comment how silly to think that having hearing aids or glasses that are there to help improve your sight or hearing could change the way you are how you appear to others. Hearing aids have come along way so have glasses so many pretty styles and hearing aids are getting smaller then they used to be. My husband started off with the type that fit inside his ear and then changed to the type that goes over his ear when his loss got worse. Wonder what they would feel like if the same comment was made about their need. On top of the news that they will need hearing aids can be a bit upsetting this lack of thinking before you speak only adds to the stress. Sorry to hear of the pain of arthritis so many are dealing with this is very hard to deal with. I have arthritis in my middle fingers and now wondering if that is what is wrong with my wrist. I cannot push any pressure on it from wrist to elbow without a shooting pain that makes me jump. Nice to read every ones posts and wishing all a wonderful day without any pain or stress. Getting cooler here overnights and starting to feel like fall. Wishing all of you wonderful friends a great day and it is almost the weekend. Holly
 
I don't know what's happened but I fell asleep this afternoon for about an hour. When I woke up I had got NO pain in my knee. Very stiff but no tearing all consuming pain. I'm not doing anything to upset it. I'm sitting here enjoying the novelty of no pain. I'm probably talking prematurely but it's nice while it's happening x x x x
 
These knees sure are crazy! NanaMoon I wonder if your new medication is relaxing you and your muscles/tendons maybe eliminating pain. I sure hope so. That would be awesome! Hope you also have fun in your caravan! I am going to enjoy the madness of mine before I am stuck recovering with the knee!

I also recovered a lot like Dogwheels did. It did not seem like work or exercise at all. Just small bursts thru out the day!

Everyone have a great weekend!
 
Hi @Jozilla @marmora this happened preoperatively when I was on them before. I was made to come off them before surgery and oh the pain after a couple of weeks was awful. I've managed to reduce the morphine down by 10ng this morning. Fingers crossed this us going to get my dosage down on the morphine xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom