Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

So pleased that you received good news today, maybe, just maybe, things could be improving for you at long last? It's about time they did.
I've spent the afternoon with my Dad, he still is 'my Dad' at the moment, but his memory is getting so bad, I wonder how long he still will be. He wears an emergency alarm pendant in case he falls, but he fell recently and forgot to use it, so today I've tried to go through the procedure - if you fall Dad, you just press the button. We even pressed the button, to show him what happens. The trouble is he just cannot remember it. As I left I asked him what he would do if he fell, he just looked at me blankly and said he didn't know. Oh dear.
On a happier note, I'm cooking for friends for the first time since the TKR. I used to entertain such a lot, but then standing for ages in the kitchen became too painful, so we would always eat out, but now I think I can do it, as long as the left knee is bandaged up I should be ok. So I'm reading through all the summer food mags and my recipe files. I'm really quite excited.
Have a good evening everyone, chat soon xx
 
@Nana moon 27 - I'm very glad that you're getting to the bottom of one thing, at least! I have to confess I was hoping the specialist would insist your doctor try a new pain med though.

@Ellejay - I'm sorry to hear about your Dad - that's very scary! But big congrats on entertaining - I love to throw parties also!
 
It's mixed emotion about my results. I didn't want it to be Bronchiectasis I just wanted it to be my Asthma playing up but even that now has been diagnosed as chronic. I'm hoping that because the Bronciectasis is mild, the nodules are appearing benign and the scarring is probably from a long time ago infection or even childhood illness, that maybe this will be as bad as it gets. I don't know. @Josephine do you know anything about this? Tomorrow I'm seeing the OS to see what next. He has to do something, 7/10 pain level is not right at this stage. I think he was right about the possibility of the kneecap pressurising the joint, causing pain and swelling. We will see tomorrow. I am desperate to get back to work, to drive and feel normal again. My appointment is 12.10 tomorrow x

I hope that everyone is ok and had/having a lovely day. It's been so nice knowing that I haven't gone through any of this alone. Your support has been great and I sincerely thank you all, from the bottom of my heart xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Nana moon 27 - so glad that your current chest condition, although not what you wanted to hear, is treatable and even more glad about the arteries. Shame about the conjunctivitis - I got it a few years back and I looked like a monster with jelly filled eyeballs. Perhaps your fringe going in your eyes caused it? Make sure you get the stuff to treat it from the chemist, that you have to keep in the fridge, its so much better than the tube stuff. I'm convinced that, and the underarm problem and your chest are all signs that your body is tired from dealing with this pain and you are just really, really low and you have no reserves to fight any infection that comes along.

I'll be thinking of you again tomorrow. I do hope this next appointment will be the one that you discover what is actually happening with your knee and how they are going to treat it. Get yourself prepared for whatever they have to tell you, but I would seriously memorise the phrase ' I have waited long enough and now want this treated as a matter of urgency'.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Jozilla, hiya Jo, thanks for that. I totally agree it's not right. Still, like I say, no matter what's transpired yep today, there are far worse things out there than I've got!!!! That's a fact! Xxxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Hi Nana Moon-
Am sorry you are having more problems than just asthma! I think there is a huge variation in patients with lung problems with the same diagnosis - and yours is mild- and you also have the asthma to explain symptoms. I'm hoping antibiotics and later your new allergy med will help!! Also it is so much easier that you like your doctor!
Thank you for writing to me about my knee too and inviting me to this forum. I'm here for you too!
 
@Nana moon 27 I am so relieved to hear your test results. You can deal with that diagnosis. I'm surprised they haven't said you have COPD. Usually, if you have chronic asthma and bronchitis...that qualifies. So they must not think your bronchial problems are chronic, which is good. Still it is wearing to have to take so many anti-biotics.

And I hope your poor husband recovers soon! What an ordeal you described.
 
@Josephine I know that you wanted me to keep you up to date about my knee as and when there was anything to tell to you, and this is also for our other friends too, so here goes....

I have to have a new kneecap! He explained that as he previously had suspected, the day he did my aspiration and cortisone shots, the kneecap is catching on the joint causing the pain and the swelling. Therefore the kneecap is going to be replaced. He explained that it's 60/40 with surgeons whether they replace the kneecap as well. He said I've just been very unlucky with my recovery and that he was "I am very sorry, this has happened to you". At this point I got really upset and bless him, he patted my hand and said "we will get this sorted for you!" I feel quite reassured now that I may be okay in the end.

He said I still have to remain on morphine but hopefully after the kneecap is done, they will change my meds, as the pain decreases. He doesn't want me to risk taking something ineffective because of what happened pre surgery, where my body became over used to them and they didn't control the pain. The operation should take place sometime in September.

Once again thank you for your support. It's been a weird couple of days and I'm not quite sure how I feel right now. My head feels like it is all over the place!!!

We are going to try and get away tomorrow night. It's too much for me mentally at the moment to go tonight with all the appointments over the last two days and everything. Is haven't even sorted out my clothes!!! x x x

Essay over....love Nana moon 27 xxxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I cant believe youve been so unlucky. How do feel about another op. Hopefully recovery time wont be as long. I guess in one way you've got a defenite response and you know whats going to happen. Sending you hugs Ann. Hope you get away tomorrow to our glorious Wales and just have a completely relaxing time. Take care


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @robynhood, I know Pat but at least I can say this guy is trying his best for me. My worst time is going to be inSeptember when I get the results of my other knee. Like you, the very idea of another TKR terrifies me too but it might be easier than the last. So many times I've read on this forum where one knee is better than the other, plus the fact we would know what to expect in the worst case! Thanks for your support you're so kind xx x x. Love Nana moon 27 (Ann) xx
 
@Nana moon 27 So pleased that you have answers and it will be scheduled pretty quickly by UK standards. Did he say anything about recovery time? Have a lovely rest in Wales.
My second TKR was easier because I knew what to expect and also that I was retired!
J
 
At least they are finally DOING something - hope the recovery is much less than the first! I'd think it would be as a significant about of pain is from the bone work involved in the original op...at hope, at least!
 
Hi Nanamoon so sorry you have to go through this but at least you will be out of pain and not too long to wait.
Thinking of you lots of love Terri x
 
@Nana moon 27 at least there is a way forward now. Are they going to leave the tibia and femur components and put a button on the kneecap or are they going to give you a complete new knee? At my first revision they changed the button on my knee cap and I had less bruising than the original TKR.
 
Thank @yiayia3 that's what I'm hoping for too x x x x. Thanks for your support. How is your knee?

@TexasTee he reckons it's an overnight stay so it shouldn't be too bad. Nothing can be as bad as what ice gone through. Anything else will be a picnic!!!! Ha ha lol xxx:heehee:
 
Hi @busylizzie all he said was that he was replacing the kneecap, apparently it is my own and he was sure that would do the trick!!! I wish he'd have gone in more detail but hey, at least something is being done and I do believe I'm feeling a bit more hopeful!!! Xxxxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom