Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Any questions please feel free to ask me

Thanks Ann for the resume. You've had it tough.

Finally on 19th June I had the TKR aspirated (drained) and cortisone shots. I was sitting on the trolley about to have this done when the surgeon informed me that the procedure may not work for me. He thinks that the kneecap is catching on the joint and causing the pain and swelling. The procedure didn't work!


What made the OS think an aspiration might help? Do you know what comes next? eg, is the surgeon planning to follow up on his thinking that the kneecap is catching on the joint? Carol
 
@Nana moon 27 Oh so sorry to hear all of that. Is there any chance that the potential infection in your lungs is causing your knee issues?? Just wondering...
Hang in there, you are certainly a trooper worrying about all of us. We are here for your support as well. Hopefully the chest clinic will have a few answers.

@dogwheels I work in radiology and have done my fair share of reviewing MR's, not a physician I was the person that took the images. So I have seen a great deal of images and nasty stuff. Since it is bilateral I suspect they are trying to rule out damage from possible infection. CHolosteotomas (tumors) usually are one sided. Keep me posted. Once you know the results, I can ask one of my colleagues in the states what the treatment is in the US and you can compare.
 
Hi @patient 99, yes I think the kneecap thing will be the next port of call. He thought aspiration would remove the fluid and the cortisone relieve the pain, right up until I was on the theatre trolley. Then he said that he felt that the procedure might not work. That was when he told me he could feel my kneecap catching! He then said he'd do the procedure anyway. The swelling went down for a very short time about a week and half in total. The pain is worse and I am getting a bit fed up xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
he could feel my kneecap catching!

So now you have to wait until September. Its so hard isn't it? Month after month of waiting. I had a very limited medical insurance. It covered the diagnostics only. I thought I would be treated really well being private - I wasn't. Carol
 
Sorry the post is late. It's also going to be brief. I don't know whether this stormy weather has upset my whole system but I couldn't breathe tonight and panicked. This made things worse. I hobbled out into the back garden to be attacked by midges and pesky mossies. I hobbled back in crying which was making me worse. I took my peak flow reading and my breathing had dropped considerably to the point where really I should've phoned A&E. I took my first inhaler trying to calm myself down. My husband put the fan on full. As I began to cool down and the inhaler began to work I felt a little better. Then my knee started. I have a new swelling in the right hand side if the front if the kneecap. If I press it the sensation is very weird. By this time I was due my meds. I've taken a bit extra tonight for the pain. I'm now in bed. I don't feel 100% to be honest, so I'm going to try an earlyish night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry @hopefaith I overlooked your question about my patella issue. I'm waiting to see the OS on July 29th. Hopefully he will tell me what next xxxx thanks for asking x
 
Hi @patient 99 i do exercise both knees but the non TKR it is very weak indeed. It's also started swelling and being painful. However, since I upped the Morphine I'm feeling nothing there. When I reduce agin I. Under no illusion the pain will be back then in TKR is being reviewed in August. If it's not deteriorated too much they're going to try and save it. If it has.......yikes here we go again!!!

I had to laugh at your comment about the docs cuff links. He can afford them at those prices lol x x x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
If it's not deteriorated too much they're going to try and save it. If it has.......yikes here we go again!!!

You know what Ann, I honestly don't think I could take another TKR. I have never had a restful day since February 2013. The new OS has been on hold until 5 December. I now consider myself lucky because I get no pain when I'm off my feet. Perhaps instead of more physio I should join a class where I can learn to levitate.


since I upped the Morphine I'm feeling nothing there.

I remember being given liquid morphine when I was in hospital having the TKR op. As soon as I took it I went into a deep sleep. How much, and how long, can you take it for before there's addiction concerns? Carol
 
@dogwheels IS a success story! She had a big ole setback 6 weeks in, but before & since she's done brilliantly! **applause**

@Nana moon 27 , sorry I've been absent - not much to report and got tired of posting 'knee hurts, in a mood, blah, blah, whine, whine' ;-) I hope you're feeling better. With the number of doctors that you're seeing I am flabbergasted that not ONE of them seems able to 'fix' you. :-( I was thinking the other day about your morphine challenges. What are the odds that one of your doctors would prescribe you Tramadol; not instead of morphine, but in addition to it? Just tell them that you would like to have it on hand for when you're ready to start decreasing your Morphine. I know you/they don't think it works for you anymore as your body got accustomed to it, but you've been off it for long enough and so many people have good results with it that you can experiment with weaning yourself off the morphine without them. It's going to be too hard to go from morphine to nothing but Tylenol, but is hugely possible to go from morphine to Tramadol + Tylenol. All you need to do is actually get someone to prescribe it to you. Yes, I'm asking you to tell your GP or OS a 'white lie', but they shouldn't have an issue with giving you the RX to have on hand for when you're ready to start weaning yourself off the morphine. You know I don't think you're addicted to morphine - you also know that I DO think your body is a dependent on it and thus it's pain killing effects are being minimized. I just want you to feel better and get your life back. xoxoxo
 
Anne the race was on Chester Race Course thru the city and back. We started at 9 o'clock before a lot of the shops were open. A nice figure. Don't think so but I'm working on it ❤️


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@patient 99 you have put into words exactly how I feel right now. No, I could not take another TKR after what I'm going through with this. However, at least I'd know what to expect. The trouble is I'm petrified it will end up like this. The thought of coping with two knees like my TKR is unthinkable. As regards pain, unless I take the higher dose of morphine at the moment it doesn't matter whether I sit, stand. elevate, what? I cannot stand for long periods of time, I'm on just over double the amount of morphine I was on preoperatively.(I was on 30 mg pre op I'm now up to 70mg) I weaned myself off the things twice only to get told off by my GP, so I had to go on them again. I hate them. I hate how they make me feel, I hate how they make my brain so foggy and so irrational at times. I can't walk as far as I did four weeks ago, I'm struggling to step in and out of the shower, let alone reach down and wash my feet! I struggle to put my knickers on, I can't go to work, i am still unable to drive I cannot go shopping alone and certainly not do the weekly shop. I cannot use public transport because if I can't sit down the jerking of the bus really hurts my knees. Mentally I'm like a yoyo up one minute down the next. I'm praying the OS can sort this out.

@DogLoverx3 I'm going to use the exact line you just said in your quote about using Tramadol to come off the morphine. I will tell him I'm desperate and want to try it that way. Im due to see him next month for my next sick note and that's what I'm going to say and will not this time take no for an answer xxxxxx I'm sorry you're suffering too
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @dogwheels I'm ever so glad that you are back safe. Yes I will get to the bottom of "The mystery of my Mothers hand" lol x x x x

The swelling on the right of my knee is horrid. My sil was really shocked tonight when I walked in. I had three quarter fitted jeans on. She immediately noticed the size of my knee again. She is a nurse. She put her hand on it and said how hot it was and even more shocked when I extended it as best I could and she felt the creaking and clunking. She was going mad, saying that they'd better get it sorted when I go back.

I'll let you know what happens about the mommy mystery tomorrow at some point. I don't think my dad's very well. He kept holding his stomach. It looks very swollen. I will try and have a quiet chat with him when I see him in the morning.

Take care Chris, as always it's so lovely to hear from you x x x

Love Ann xxxx
 
Well I've been so very busy today. I got up early cleaned my house, hobbling around like I was 90 or something! Anyway mom, dad, the hairdresser and my eldest daughter turned up. My eldest daughter did moms eyebrows for here and then did mine. Great stuff, talk about pampered. I had a bit more cut off the length of my hair. It's far more manageable now x x no sooner than they left my son and his cousin turned up. That was nice. I did them both a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea x x

They were all shocked at now swollen my knee is and my son said he wishes he could've gone with me to see the OS and see what he's playing at. My son is convinced that something is drastically wrong. He said he hates how it's kind of disabled me from the person I used to be. He doesn't like how much I've slowed down and become so reliant and dependent upon others. He said it's weird to see how I'm not dashing around the place organising everything and everybody, just sitting and having to let people do certain things. He said he misses me chasing him down the garden when he makes a cheeky comment. Id forgotten I did that! I warned him that I could be a crack shot with hand held objects lol x x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pain not too bad today. Very fed up. Bored stiff. Poor granddaughter (the dancing one) has had her mom up all night with what my daughter suspects may be infected eczema. Her mom rang the Rottweiler receptionist who could hear her crying and screaming with the pain. She immediately booked her in. Shes at the docs now x x x I'll update you later with this xxxx

I hope that you are all ok?

All my love Nana moon xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh I'm so mad!..... a whole chunk of the above post I wrote disappeared. Aaaarghhhh.

I wrote that I was sorry for not being around much yesterday. I decided to complete a 40 page Personal Independence Payment form. I thought well, why not? With my knee, asthma, angina and hearing it was worth a try for. They'll probably throw it out but it's worth a shot. It is not means tested but evidence based. It took me eight hours!!! I cried with frustration and also panicked because it was so hard and beyond my concentration to cope with. My daughter came in and she was so shocked at the state is got myself into. She said "mom, this is not like you. "You do forms like this with no problem. We have always come to you with any forms or important documents." I cried. I couldn't cope with it. I realised just how foggy my brain is at this point. Anyhow, my daughter stayed and helped me complete this form. My husband also had to write a letter about what he has to do for me care wise when I'm at home on a really bad day and all the running about to the hospital. Chest clinic, GP etc. Then my daughter out the thing into the post. He wrote about how antisocial I'm becoming at home and not wanting to see people and things. He's right. I've put friends off before. It's because I cannot be bothered. I'm so not myself and yet when I'm in Wales I'm fine. It's just here. His sister has phoned to call me about something and I gesture to him that tell her I'm asleep. I've done it with my work colleagues too. None of this is in my nature and I am certain it is the Morphine.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@Nana moon 27, I went through the same with both ESA and DLA. It took me weeks to fill in the forms even with help. I couldn't keep my mind to the task and it was quite upsetting writing it all down and getting the supporting documentation. I got the awards at the first time of trying. I also have other health issues and was medically retired from work. Earlier this year, I had to re-apply for the DLA, just as bad second time around. One bonus of getting DLA was that I became eligible for a blue badge which helped a lot. I will loose it all soon as now I am becoming mobile again and doing so much more for myself.
 
@Nana moon 27 , PIP has taken over from DLA. Anybody putting in a new claim must apply for PIP. DLA is being phased out slowly. If my renewal date had been a fortnight later I would have been made to apply for PIP not DLA. Neither are means tested. The rules and regs are a little different.

The ESA (Employment Support Assistance) I get is because I paid full National Insurance contributions for years when I was working. It is not dependent on savings but is however adjusted because I have got my works pension paid out early due to ill health. I will continue to get it until I reach state pension age and then my state pension will kick in. I am deemed incapable of working for health reasons and do not have to sign on or look for work.
 
I forgot, you don't need PIP to get a blue badge. Ask your GP for a supporting letter why you need one and you may still get one. Your breathing difficulties, angina and knee problems may well be enough to get one. You need to apply for one though but can do that online.
 
@busylizzie I so appreciate the information. You've made it understandable. I might have a word with the GP in August when I go and see what he says xxx thank you you are so kind to share that information with me xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom