Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Glad all went well --sounds like you had a chemically induced "treadmill test". I had one the first time I was tested by a cardiologist -- awful feeling! Did they do an echocardiogram also --that looks at the valves etc?
 
TBH @Chihuahuan I do not know. I guess I'll know more when I see outpatients at A&E. He was a very disinterested type of doctor. It didn't help when he'd just come off his lunch, as he walked past me he let out an enormous sigh as the nurse said your next patient is gowned up and ready for you. The patient was me. He talked to me for about five minutes and in that time was more about my lungs. He was non committal about my heart. Clearly there can't be anything wrong. else they would have done an angiogram and told me there was a problem. So it's whatcha this space.

It does sound like the chest clinic doc was right though about infection on my lungs though.

Thanks for your concern. Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi @Yorkshiregal54 my knee is getting on my nerves. It has swollen up a bit not as bad as before but on its way again, it hurts and now I've the most horrid double clunking when I walk even short distances. I had to abandon a walk just round the caravan site! The pain suddenly got that intense, the clunk was horrid, so I got back, took two paracetamol and 10mg Zomorph! I'm getting very fed up with all of this. The hydro shots and aspiration worked for about two weeks and then that was it. It's steadily getting worse again xxx never mind there's far worse things out there than this! Are you going out tonight? XXXX

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi

Aside from the knee being a total pain (excuse the pun!) my asthma is just usual. Peak flows have dropped but stabilised. The only thing is I keep having these dreadful sweats they're not the menopausal ones. They're horrendous. I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the infections dotted around my lungs that the CT scan revealed? I go to chest clinic on 17th for smoke inhalation breath test (it's a small minute amount of carbon monoxide) and 28th to see the chest consultant xxx

Catch you tomorrow xxx love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi @hopefaith the cortisone hadn't worked or the draining. So disappointed. I also now have a double clunk just to add to things. Waiting fir next appointment. I will phone them when I get home if necessary xxcxxc
 
Some of my friends on the site have gone home but are coming back next week. I am not sure what we are doing. I have to be home by Wednesday as I have a GP appointment first thing and then a Chest Clinic appointment in the afternoon. They're very disappointed that I'm not going to be around. Never mind there will be other times. I get my official diagnosis from the CT scan at the Chest Clinic on the 28th July x x x

I've had to increase the Morphine back up to 60mg (30mg morning and night) from 50 mg. I simply just wasn't sleeping at all properly through the pains in my knee. The night before last was so bad my husband said to me very bleary eyed "y have cried, moaned and ouched all night long" hence I increased and slept thank goodness. My chest is doing it's usual one minute it's ok and the next I can't breathe. I hope the Chest clinic can sort me out at the end of the month.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. Hope you are all ok? Just a quick one as I'm just about to leave for the chest clinic x


The doc I saw today was absolutely lovely and extremely concerned about all my health issues. He sat and listened while I got all upset again over it all and the medication. He looked at my knee and said that it did not look quite right. He commented on my chest sounding a bit clogged up. I explained about the chest clinic etc. He sat very quietly and then started to read my on screen records to before the knee op. He looked at me and said very kindly "my dear, my heart goes out to you with all you have going on. I cannot put you on a different medication because the Morphine is the best thing for your case". I begged him at this point. He looked right at me and said "you are not addicted Ann. Stop worrying about it. It is working on your pain and if it gets worse just simply up it. That's the beauty of the flexibility of this pain relief". I cried about how I wanted to go back to work, to drive and get my independence back. He said "Ann you are just not ready for any of this yet. Even if I could put you on a different medication. I couldn't recommend you drive with that knee as it is". I gave up and sobbed. He said he was so sorry for all I had been through and that I had every right to be upset. He wrote me another months sick note and repeat prescription for my morphine and asthma medication.

Got to go sorry. Will check in later xxxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nanamoon your G.P sounds lovely very caring just what you need right now,hope chest clinic went well also.
@dogwheels thinking of you hope your daughter's scan went well and you soon get the results,everyone one else have a good evening a very warm one here.
 
@dogwheels - glad to hear that she didn't need the contrast dye - and I'm like you, I'd be looking at that scan ASAP and probably haunting WebMD diagnosing myself incorrectly!

@Nana moon 27 - I'm very sorry to hear that you have to stick with the morphine and therefore can't drive - can't imagine the level of frustration you must be under. Hugs!
 
Well the Chest Clinic went ok I think. It was just more breathing tests. I will get the full results on 28th July. It as nice because I wasn't in there too long and me and my daughter went to a pub in a square with tables outside on the pavement. It was lovely. We had a J20 (soft drink) sitting in the shade watching the world go by. Trouble was my knee was hurting and the walk had made me breathless. I was ok sort of once I had sat down with my drink. Once we finished our drink we headed back to mine. My husband picked up her youngest daughter and in not time at all my elder granddaughter was knocking the door very excited that I was back and launched herself in to my arms. She hugged me until I could barely breathe!

Shortly after this the pain started in my knee. It crept up and up, so I took a couple of paracetamol (Tylenol). It did nothing. I elevated and iced my knee but it was swelling quite badly. Still I was in pain. My eldest daughter and her partner had arrived by this point, followed by my father in law. My husband and daughters partner went to look at a plumbing job somewhere so we sat outside on the garden furniture. I'm still in this awful pain. I was sitting rubbing my knee not knowing quite what to do with it. I sat for about fifteen minutes in the shade but the pain now was getting unbearable and my daughter noticed I wasn't right. She asked if I was ok and I said I that i just needed to move. I went to get up off the furniture, out my hands on the arm rests to push up as normal and I found that I was stuck. My knee wouldn't work, it had kind of set in place and my other one was too weak to lift all my weight up from the lower position. Anyway my daughter tried to lift me out of the chair but she couldn't and I couldn't get to any form of standing. I started to get very upset. It ended up with my 86 year old father in law one side and my eldest daughter the other, holding their arms out, I hooked mine into theirs and as they pulled up I managed to get my legs into such a position to stand. I cried as the pain was ripping through my knee. It was too early to take all my pain meds so I took an extra 10mg top up of Zomorph. It did nothing. I had to wait until ten o clock to take more paracetamol and morphine. Only now is it finally starting to ease off. Trouble is now I'm scared to sleep in case I hallucinate. I've hallucinated on a lower dose than this recently.

Im going to play a few games on my iPad, maybe look on the limerick site (always good for a laugh) on the Bonesmart social site and check a few threads maybe.

@dogwheels I'm glad yr daughter is feeling so positive and happy that you got to the other place. It's way too warm here but I've got a fan pointing into the bedroom. No I can't get back to Wales and I'm seriously struggling with the stairs here x x x

Everyone else Thank you for your kind messages I do so appreciate the support I get on this site.

Take care all hope your pain is well managed or non existent (wonderful thought)
All my love from Nana moon 27 xoxoxox big hugs xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you @TexasTee it was not my usual GP so it was kind of like a second opinion. I am awfully fed up x x x never mind. I went in to HR today to take in my sick note. I had a lovely conversation and was reassured about the safety of my job under the current circumstances. There's been Voluntary severance as you know and then compulsory always follows soon after. She told me not to worry about my job that it was safe and to just focus on getting myself well again so I can come back.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Chihuahuan the virtual hug was much appreciated thank you. I get all the resets in the 28th July. I just hope that they can sort me out. X x x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxxxx
 
I am glad you are home and resting now! That is a very scary thing that happened with your knee. It sure does seem that something is not right.

I am glad that your job is secure. Sounds like you work with some very understanding people. I do hope you have sweet dreams and not bad ones.

Xoxo
 
@patient 99 as promised a very brief resume of my journey.

January 3rd I had my RTKR after being bone on bone for some time. The following morning I had severe water type blisters on the TKR leg. I was told it was a reaction to the bandages!

The day after my surgery I had a nasty fall due to a very young and arrogant PT who thought that he knew better than anyone. He would not allow me to use a walker-he forced me to used crutches because I was so much younger than the rest on the ward I was on.

The day after that I developed a nasty chest infection with a pulse rate of 133 bpm. I was confined to bed for 48 hrs.

I finally left hospital nine days after the op. I should have only been in three.

I've had nothing but problems. I walked upstairs incorrectly and strained the knee (several times) I tripped over a pouffee (ottoman)several times.

Finally on 19th June I had the TKR aspirated (drained) and cortisone shots. I was sitting on the trolley about to have this done when the surgeon informed me that the procedure may not work for me. He thinks that the kneecap is catching on the joint and causing the pain and swelling. The procedure didn't work!

I between all this I have have a total of three suspected Angina attacks and also been referred to the chest clinic, as they suspect that I may well have Bronchiectasis. I had a CT two weeks ago. Dye in the arm to check the arteries and then one on the lungs at the same time. The lungs are showing small areas of infection. I get the results on July 28th.

I'm still on Morphine and paracetamol. I can't drive still and not allowed to return to work either. I'm very frustrated at times to say the least. At the moment this are getting harder to do. I can't walk the distances I was a few weeks ago. I'm struggling getting dressed and stuff. I cannot have a bath it's shower only. I would so love a good soak but I cannot do it.

However, I keep on smiling, supporting others and I genuinely love to hear when people make a good recovery. I think that's marvellous when that happens. For instance @Yorkshiregal54 has recently just completed a trek of Machu Pichu. Absolutely fantastic that she achieved this. Somewhere on is thread there are some lovely pics.

I hope this has given you an overview of my journey. Any questions please feel free to ask me x x x x

Take care

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Morning all This is an absolute joke. I just rang the OS secretary to find out when my follow up from the aspiration and cortisone shot is. She said 18th August. I asked if they had anything sooner and she said as it is a follow up appointment, they couldn't change it and I had to ring another department to try to do that but it would be doubtful. I rang the appointments department they said the appointment on the 18th was a six month follow up and could not be changed. I said no, that's the one for my other knee at the other hospital and that there should be a SIX WEEK follow up appointment for the surgeon at the other hospital at the end of July beginning of August which would be six weeks. They said no there is not, you will have to phone the OS secretary again. I explained that I'd just spoken to her and she'd told me to ring them. They said no they couldn't do anything as she had to give the authorisation for the appointment to be created. I rang her back and she said haven't I just spoken to you. I said yes. She said you have to speak to the appointments department. At this point I got really upset and said look I'm fed up being passed from pillar to post I need you to just listen...please and then I burst into tears. Anyway she finally listened to me and then finally the penny dropped. Oh she said that's the confusion there. They've assumed that's the follow up appointment. No she'd assumed that was the follow up appointment. She realised this when she looked at the details on screen again after she'd finally listened. It's ridiculous that I have to do someone's job for them. People need to learn to take take out and actually read what is in front of them nt just assume oh there's an appointment it's already done. I suppose it's understandable really. The OS was a stand in surgeon for the the hospital where I am based for my TKR but the OS is based at another hospital where I've been seeing him for the follow ups. He doesn't do follow ups at the original hospital where he did my knee! His secretary should've recognised that fact. Anyway she apologised profusely and I'm going on the 29th July they've slotted me in at the end of his clinic x

I had a very restless night despite the morphine. I'm still in pain but not like last night. My heads very fuzzy and I feel very tired and washed out today. I'm just going to have an easy day today just pottering about.

I've had to calm down before I could post anything so in sorry this is so late all.

I hope everyone is ok
Catch you later love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all -
I agree with all the others @Nana moon 27. The sort of experience you had in the garden is the type of thing that happens before TKR, not after. The sooner this gets sorted and treated the better. I am so glad that you persevered with the Appointments person. Fingers X'd that you get some definite management plan at the appointment later this month. If not, I think if it was me I would be saying very firmly and calmly that enough is enough - that the surgery that was received had not been carried out properly, and that they have been extremely slow and not at all proactive in solving the problem - such that your whole quality of life and career has suffered. I would then drop in the word 'litigation' and see what happens. I really don't like the 'ambulance chaser' lawyers, but I really think that a 'no win no fee' would have a field day with your situation.

We had a real humdinger of a storm last night - it went on for ages - lightening, thunder, wind, rain, the works! It's lovely and cool and beginning to brighten up here now.

Daughter couldn't resist any longer and has looked at her brain scans. Sent me a copy but it really is all Greek to me. Have no idea at all - but totally weird seeing her brain!

Well all the excitement of being an amateur brain surgeon has delayed the start to my day somewhat.

Will talk later

XXX
 
@Nana moon 27, the NHS appointment system is a shambles and must cost a fortune to run. I am forever trying to sort out mix ups. I get text messages confirming appointments at different times to those agreed over the phone or in writing. A few years ago I used to turn up to appointments to be told that they had been cancelled or my notes not available. Glad you were able to get arrange to be seen earlier.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom