Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Grandsons are perfect for lawn duty and desperate for funds...please don't keep up on your own!

Quick Chloe update since everyone has been so nice about it, she is back home and managed to rid herself of a lot of backed up...stuff, and is playing and eating as if the last month had not occurred. I hope she is right!
 
Hi @TexasTee yes I will be using one or other. I'm glad to hear that Chloe's on the mend. I know you've been very concerned about her x x x
 
Well I had a solid sleep,for a few hours and then I was wide awake. What a nightmare. It was about 4.45 am when I went back off and I woke back up at 6.15 in agony. This time with the non TKR knee and hip. Ouch! I got up. Had some breakfast and took 10 mg morphine and two paracetamol, 6 steroid tablets and an antibiotic. It's just kicked in now. So I in, I'm going to attempt to sleep or at least relax x x x x x
 
I thought I could cut down on pain meds even though I was a bit stiff. I'd woken up in pain I took 1morphine 10 mg and two paracetamol. I fell back to sleep. When I woke up I thought "ooh I'm not in any real pain. Great. I'll just leave it at that" oh dear...BIG MISTAKE! Needless to say suddenly the pain kicks in and I gasped. My daughters had arrived by that time and asked what was wrong. I told them and they grumbled at me for being a bit daft "you know you need them why do you do this to yourself etc etc etc..." I took the rest of the meds but I can't seem to get comfy somehow. They moaned about me being daft with the gardening too, from yesterday, (husband told on me!) although they said that it looks lovely.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning everyone, well all I can say is I'm in agony with my TKR knee and my left knee to the point I cried this morning. My back and hip are hurting, even sitting on my bed. I've taken my pain meds and I've come back to bed out of the way because until they kick in I'm useless. I've shouted at my husband over the most trivial thing this morning but I had the good grace to apologise, explaining my reason for my reaction.

I just hope to goodness this surgeon on Tuesday can help me or come up with answers. I can't bear this creeping thought that this is going to be as good as it gets. That is half what is wrong with me at the moment. I'm worried sick, that this is going to be it. I want to go back to work and that's that. I want to drive again. I want my life back. Yes, today I'm feeling sorry for myself but I've so had enough now. I think the steroids I finished the day before yesterday are coming out of my system and where a little of the swelling in my knee had been reduced by them, It's started up again. The pain in my hip is on the right hand side of the joint, same side as my back, TKR side and gosh it aches so bad, whichever position I put my leg in. I had none of this preoperatively x I'm so fed up!

Anyway, aside from that I sincerely hope that everyone else is ok and had restful nights sleep or cat naps x x catch you later. Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27 - pleasant things first- your garden is beautiful, you should be proud...it's no wonder that Gilbert's cousin should want to move in!

So sorry to hear about the rest of it though - the hip pain sounds a decent bit like mine, if you care to try you would know for sure if you put pressure right at the hip joint and it results in shooting pain...then you'd know its hip bursitis which is a real humdinger as there is just about nothing they can do for it. You can take a cortisone shot for it but after seeing all the bone spurs I have in my knees, I decided to leave it alone. Of course, I didn't sleep at all last night but I am holding off on the shot until the TKR so that I don't have to deal with both.

As to the appointment on Tuesday - do you have it on your list to ask to be checked for an infection? With all of the lung infections you have had it is a real possibility that it could have been effected - and if you blame the chest infections and not him perhaps he'd be more willing than @DogLoverx3 OS to discuss it.

I hope the med's were able to let you enjoy your day!
 
Hi @TexasTee you have given me something go add to my list thank you. That adds up. Recurrent chest infections, hot swollen knee. Mmmmm interesting thank you x I'm going to ooze charm with the opening line "I'm not here to criticise the knee replacement you've done. I'm here to find out why I am having these problems...." Then I shall list them. What do you think? X

Thanks for the compliments on my garden. I do love it so much x

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
I think that's the approach with the best shot of working - Doc's at that level would not even imagine they have contributed anything...and to be fair, he hasn't...if he'd seen you before he might have helped correct whatever has been delaying you!!
 
Thank you @TexasTee I felt this would be the best way forward x now you know why I'm much in demand to teach the communication part of the childcare programme in College. When I left my last job my manager said to me "how are we going to manage without you and your people skills?" That was a lovely compliment. Xxxx
 
I really like that approach! Make the OS feel at ease. I also wonder about all those chest infections. It could just be you are so worn down with this recovery! I can't wait for your Tuesday appointment!
 
Hi everyone

The knee has been vile today. My mom, dad, brother and his kids came to tea tonight at my house. I was wearing a slim fit pair of 3/4 trousers that I bought recently, as like I said before, nothing fits. My mom said "oh Ann, why have you got a bandage on your knee? Is it that bad?" Before I could utter a word my dad and my brother were echoing what she was saying. I waited for them to stop and said "no, its swelling,". They were all aghast. Mom thought I was joking but realised by my face that I wasn't. She gently felt it and as usual it was hot too. She was so shocked, well they all were. My dad was so sympathetic I nearly cried, he saw this and gave me a big cuddle.

I coped ok tea was lovely, my brothers kids were really well behaved and my grandson had a wonderful time with his cousins. Bizarrely they're his second cousins because they are cousins to my grown up children! I have a lovely pic somewhere of mom and I both holding our grandsons as babies together. What is so bizarre is that my grandson is also her great grandson yet the kids are only about six months apart in age, yet technically a generation apart. Madness! :chinstroke:

I loaded the dishwasher as I went along tonight and mom said she felt bad that I'd done so much. I said to mom that serving a few hot sandwiches/rolls, dishing out profiteroles and trifle, making tea was hardly hard work! She said I looked tired and I explained that this is what the pain does to me. I cooked a fresh chicken, provided some lovely left over beef from the joint and they had a range of rolls or bread to choose from. Mom and dad both said I did them proud. That was nice.

I'm now in bed, have took my pain meds and I'm praying that they kick in soon. It is stiff, painful and oh my hip and back. I'm exhausted now! Pain truly drags you down. No doubt about that.

By the way, in today's Daily Mail magazine is an article all about how gardening is used as therapy. I totally agreed with it x x x

I really hope you've all had a lovely day today and look forward to catching up with you xxx

All my love to you

Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Hey Nana moon 27, I can't like your post about your knee being vile :( Well done with the tea, I can't imagine doing anything like that at the moment. Night night, I hope your pain settles and you can sleep. X


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Morning everyone. I hope you all slept well. Mine was restless but a but more than the previous night. However, I've got up this morning and my chest feels yuk again! This is getting beyond a joke now. I'm going to take it easy today, just potter about the place. If it's no good tomorrow, then I'll have to get a GP appointment for tomorrow evening. I'm supposed to be going up to the caravan tomorrow night but as it stands, it's in the balance. I've no energy again and everything is such an effort. I haven't even made it into the shower yet. I'm going to do that once I've done this post.

Well another day closer to my meeting with the OS. I'm going to write up my bullet point list today. I might post it and see if anyone spots anything I've missed. You all read my posts often enough to be able to comment. Your help would be so appreciated as I do respect your thoughts and feelings. It may not go up until quite late this afternoon/early evening.

Well I'd better get in that shower. I'm lying propped up on my bed doing heel slides and leg lifts while posting. I think the weather may change it's been sunny but it's suddenly clouded over. I'm lying here listening to the lovely bird songs x right I'm going for that shower. Catch you later. All my love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox:flwrysmile:
 
@Nana moon 27 I hope the shower helped your lungs a little. Sounds as though you may need different antibiotics. I know that in the US they would be doing lung X-rays and antibiotic resistance testing.
I wonder if there is some connection between the knee and lung problems -- perhaps an infection that needs a much more specific antibiotic. Maybe that is something to ask the OS. I think at this point I would insist on having fluid drawn from the knee for testing -- much like dogloverx3 had done.
Hang in there.
 
Hi all. As I said earlier I would post my question/concerns list. I would appreciate your thoughts and views and any additions. Much appreciated. Thank you so much xxx
Concerns
ROM

  • Flexion is good
  • Extension causing concern with a private physiotherapist and GP
  • I cannot improve this. It improves at the time of physio but goes back in between sessions
Mobility I cannot;
  • Walk up and downstairs properly
  • ride a bike
  • physically walk at a reasonable pace without limping
  • steady/stabilise myself quickly when needed, I have nearly fallen over several times
  • Sleep properly due to the pain, despite taking Morphine
  • cannot stand for more than 10-15 mins
Also
  • I am still limping due to the bent knee
  • I have to focus looking at the ground as I walk or else I trip/stumble on uneven ground
  • difficulty sitting with my legs down, my knee "sets"
  • difficulty in sleeping and getting comfortable due to the pain in bed. If I move in bed it really hurts
Pain
  • Hurts when straightening exercises are done
  • hurts if I extend leg on to coffee table. It sets and I have to physically put my hand at the back of the knee and gently help it down to a bent position
  • Hurts even when rested
  • pain increases with activity
  • it goes across the top of the knee, round it and behind the knee cap. the kneecap often feels like there is boiling oil behind it
  • During physio I get terrible time in two certain points on the knee
  • it often feels "bruised" to the touch
Swelling
  • Whole of knee area. the right is double the size of the left
  • swells worse after activity/exercise
Pain relief
  • Zomorph 30-40mg am, 40-50mg pm
  • Paracetamol 4x2 Tablets per day
Physiotherapy
  • 4 sessions after operation. they discharged me with 6% extension and said that was fine. Worse still on the last session I had hurt the knee with the stairs again and could hardly put my foot to the floor. one of them examined me and persuaded me to stay and do some non weight bearing exercises. despite all this they still discharged me!
  • in desperation I am now paying for Private physiotherapy. He is very concerned about the impact of this extension is having on my whole body posture, hip and back
Other issues
  • I feel that I have lost my independence/lost a lot of confidence
  • I am unable to return to work (due to all issues)
  • everything has to be planned around my knee
  • inability to drive due to pain medication
  • I am suffering from insomnia, anxiety, depression and low mood
  • my relationship with my husband is being affected
  • no patience with people
  • limited activities with my grandchildren
  • difficulty/ inability to do hobbies gardening and fly fishing
  • inability to sit in a limited space like cinema, school play
  • very scared of crowds because my instability frightens me that I will get knocked over
Extra information
  • I had two falls in hospital. The first occurred the day after surgery, the second on the evening of the same day. I had both knees x-rayed and told that they were ok. The next day I developed a chest infection and I have had four more since. I am waiting for a chest clinic appointment.
  • My main problems started when I accidentally tried to walk up and downstairs normally. After that I had nothing but trouble since with the kneecap and surrounding areas.
I had gone into hospital full of hope for an improved quality of life. I am very disappointed. I fully expected to be back at work by now and have my full independence back
 
Should you tag Josephene? or ortho doc? Clearly I'm the least qualified but I AM awake so a place to start! Fresh off reading the TKR book -

I'd lead with the strongest information - in my mind the multiple chest infections and the significant swelling should be a major concern towards implant infection. Then lack of extension would be next. I'd also find out what kind of implant you had and how it was put there - via cement or left to attach itself to bone - if it was left to attach itself to the bone you ought to have been told to not bear full weight on it for 6 weeks (so says the book, anyway) If the stair incident happened before it was grown to the bone then it could have caused isssues.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the other issues could easily be construed as "normal" for having had such a major op...if you start with them I'm afraid he'd just stop listening. Grab your audience in the first 30 seconds! I hope he turns out to be a wonderfully concerned OS but I'd hate for you to count on it and lose out on your shot to get to the bottom of the issue.
 
@Nana moon 27 Totally agree with @TexasTee .
Two part problem: I would write down these two points on a notecard and give it to him as you first meet.
  1. Lack of extension and continued significant swelling, heat, instability, and pain in TKR knee that still requires you to take …mg .dose of Zomorph and paracetamol. (This is causing most of the issues you have listed). Feel as though you were released from physical therapy too soon and are now doing a little privately etc but it is a financial burden.
  2. Upper respiratory infections that began after a fall in the hospital and are continuing -- could this be connected to the TKR and vice-versa.
At this point he should ask you to elaborate.
You are in my prayers. Jen
 
I so agree with what @TexasTee has said,
  • Hurts when straightening exercises are done
  • hurts if I extend leg on to coffee table. It sets and I have to physically put my hand at the back of the knee and gently help it down to a bent position
  • Hurts even when rested
  • pain increases with activity
Everything here happens to me at the moment, so I reckon that would come under the 'normal' heading (unless everybody else disagrees?) and he won't be interested, but you have got so much else going on as well which sounds awful, he must listen to all of that, surely?
Good luck, I will be thinking of you xxx Lyn
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom