Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Right everyone I have a question that's bugging me a bit. If I am unsuccessful with this surgeon next week and unhappy with his response, who do I go to and ask for a second opinion? Xxxx
I think you need to go in with a list of questions and a friend to record the answers as it will be quite emotional. Try to be business-like. I would ask him to provide specific responses as you need solutions. If he cannot do so ask him to refer you to another orthopedist who works with "difficult" cases of recovery. I would also ask for a referral to 1-1 PT.
 
Hi @Chihuahuan I have asked my husband to come in with me so he'll do the note taking. I will most certainly ask for the PT you suggest. It's wrong that I'm having to pay for this, when I've more than contributed to the NI system.

Once again thank you x
 
Oh nanamoon , I hope things turn around for you soon , fortunately you have great support here on bonesmart. I read every now and again from your thread. I know you had or have chest infection ?? Whats the status on knee ?? Did I read revision or 2nd opinion ? I hope not . We will keep you in our prayers, hope that you get well. Best wishes Iceman
 
Hi @suzzee2000 how are you doing? It's been ages since I heard from you x it's so nice to have youngest back in touch. Ibet you're running marathons. I'm going across to your thread in a minute to see x x x x
lol @Nana moon 27!!! As you can see I am not running marathons........ but I am still Whining! :heehee: Thanks for stopping by! Since yesterday was my last day of class for this semester I will be around to check on you more often!!!
I Hope things turn around for you soon Nana....you deserve it. You have the sweetest disposition and have been a real trouper with all the problems you've had with your knee!!! Praying every question you have gets answered! I took my notebook with me everywhere and if a question popped up in my head for the surgeon I wrote it down. I take every question to him at each visit......It feels good to have my questions answered and you certainly have a right to have your questions answered as well!!!!
 
Hi @icep707 lovely to hear from you. I cannot straighten my leg properly. It is still very swollen in comparison to the other one. I finally got an appointment to see the actual OS for next Tuesday, who actually did the op. I've never met him! Seriously! He was a stand in cover surgeon. Didn't bother to introduce himself before or after the op. Never clapped eyes on him. Worse still he's based in a hospital on the far side of town to us And the hospital where I had my surgery. As I didn't meet him, he is an unknown quantity. I shall go in being my usual charming self but boy if he dares to fob me off then he'll see just how firm I can be. He's obviously going to be on the defensive before I even open my mouth as he may think I've come to criticise his work. That is not the case. I need answers as to why this is bent! and that is why I have to be nice at first.

@suzzee2000 I hope I get a break soon. Five chest infections in four months is very wearing and I'm so wretched well tired you know! I have been referred to the chest clinic and I'm waiting for the appointment to come through. I hope to get answers for that now. The scary part is that my Asthma has taken a sinister turn. I no longer wheeze when I get any problems. It creeps up quietly and takes my breath away and makes my chest tight. It happens suddenly usually affecting my voice first. I so don't like this. My first chest infection of the year started in hospital.

Anyway. That's enough from me. I'm suffering insomnia due to the steroids. It's 3.25 am here now x nighty night xxxx lovely to have you all back around again xxxx
 
It happens suddenly usually affecting my voice first
This happens to me too, all of a sudden my voice is gone, and I better have my inhaler handy. I pre treat if I am doing public speaking, or any exercise to keep this from happening.
 
Ok im caught up !! While alot of people are breezing through , we still have to realize that we are still relatively early on in recovery, not even 4 months for you. You mentioned your knee is bent ?, or did you say it wont bend. ? can you tell me what your flexion is ?? I never heard of your experience with a surgeon before, that has to be a first. Never even seen him before. My surgeon reminds me of me , very nice , funny and friendly, only he always acts like he is on fire. Never still , always moving. I Im agine he is very busy. Sorry to hear about your asthma and infections, my ex mother inlaw has asthma and has a very tough time with it. She wont take the steroid. Well hope your visit goes well with the mystery OS. Take care Iceman
 
Hi @icep707 lovely to hear from you. I cannot straighten my leg properly. It is still very swollen in comparison to the other one. hy this is bent! and that is why I have to be nice at first.

The leg not straightening properly could be the root of all your problems with walking, twisting, back and hip pain. Ask your physio to concentrate on exercises for straightening. There are lots you can do at home, too. Here's a link to a library article that might help:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/extension-exercises-for-improvement.9529/

Often, the knee cannot straighten properly because the muscles and tendons at the back of your leg have tightened up.

When you walk, concentrate on putting your foot down straight and landing on your heel, rolling your foot through to the toes, and then pushing off with the toes. Think "Heel, toe, push off" as you walk. Do concentrate on trying to reduce that swelling, too. It might mean doing less for a while.
 
Hi @icep707 that was the first surgery I ever had in my life where I didn't meet the surgeon! I can bend my knee really well. The problem is it doesn't straighten properly. Eg if I sit with my legs together on my bed my one leg remains flat in the bed whereas the others is bent and the back of my leg does not make contact with the mattress. Therefore I am walking off centre so to speak. This is what's causing my hip and back to play up. I never have back or hip problems normally x
 
Thank you @Celle for your help and the link. I try very hard with heel toe routine. Freddy is very passionate about the walk and posture. It is difficult though, I have to really concentrate. If I stride too far or fast I limp so I have to walk slowly aiming for quality not quantity. I just want my life back. I want to go back to work, I really want to drive. I can't drive due to the pain meds. However, there are far worse things than this out there so I'm grateful x x x
 
@Nana moon 27 just to say I hope things start to improve for you and you have a good talk with your O.S you really need some good luck, I'm away tomorrow but I don't think I will post again apart from you and a couple of others I get no response so not much point really,I really hope things go well for you and everyone else, take care Terri
 
Hi Ann. So you are looking to get a second opinion on your knee, yes? Whom did you see the other day and what did he have to say? (or haven't you seen him yet? I forget!) Also tell me whereabouts you live. Actually in Brum itself?
 
Hi @Josephine I had asked a question and I think there's been a touch of Chinese whisper I'm really sorry! I am due to see the surgeon who actually did my operation on my knee next Tuesday. I never met him before or after the operation as he was a stand in. I never met the original consultant either. Therefore on Tuesday when I go I am meeting someone who I don't know at all and hoping that I get answers.

The question I had asked was what do I do if I'm not satisfied with his answers/response? How do I get a second opinion? Do I ask him or my GP or what? My GP is off sick at the moment.

I know things are not right here with my knee after this length of time. I'm on a higher dose of morphine than before I had the TKR, it is still very swollen, the scar is puckered and not. Sometimes it feels like boiling oil behind the kneecap itself. The knee will not straighten very well and this is causing me back and hip problems. My private physio is very concerned. He has asked me to text him about how I get on next Tuesday.

Yes I do live in Birmingham, I has my op done at Solihull Hospital (five mins away) but I have to travel to see this gentleman as he is based at Good Hope. He was covering my surgeon at Solihull in January.

I hope that this makes sense. Am I right in thinking that if this goes pear shaped which I pray it won't, will you suggest a specialist and I take the name to my GP. I'm very unsure about how to go about any of this. I'm just praying that this man will be nice and listen.

I really and honestly went to go back to work especially after visiting last week to take yet another sickness note in. It was fantastic seeing all my colleagues and teaching group. I want to get back to some kind of normality please....

Sorry about the essay Josephine

Kindest regards

Nana moon 27
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Essay? What essay?
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

The question I had asked was what do I do if I'm not satisfied with his answers/response? How do I get a second opinion? Do I ask him or my GP or what? My GP is off sick at the moment.
Well, first thing is to take a note book with you and take notes. If he uses a word you don't know, ask him to spell it out for you. Then bring them back here and post them for me so I can see what was said. If we decide a second opinion is needed, I'll sort you out a good chap and you take the name to the GP. Doesn't matter if your regular one is off, use any other GP. Just tell him/her politely but firmly that you've had enough of being messed around about this and want to get a second opinion and please would s/he be kind enough to refer you to 'this' surgeon. Okay?
 
Well I hope that everyone has managed to have a nice day today. At least the weather held. Stupidly done some gardening, only weed pulling what a mistake and used a very light electric lawn mower to do the grass. Knee is shrieking at me! I think I have to start asking my strapping teenage grandsons with a money bribe to do it!
 
Ah thanks so very much @Josephine that's really put my mind at rest. I have already started making notes on my iPhone every time something occurs, which I shall bullet point on to paper. (I read your advice to Shortie about doing this!) Bless you x thanks once again. Have a great evening love Nana moon 27 x Oh and I will definitely post them for you I promise. My appointment is 11.05 am x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom