Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

My goodness the coffee shop has been busy! @Nana moon 27 - when my friend had her ankle replaced they gave her a plastic contraption that she had to use several times an hour called an incentive spirometer - it's used to prevent lung infections after surgery. Did you use one of these? Perhaps even now, such a thing might help to strengthen your lungs to resist further infections. Here is an article about it and it looks like you can just buy one of the plastic devices if you wanted to try it.

Here is more about it if you are interested.
broken link removed: https://www.coxhealth.com/Postopexercisesactivity
 
My peak flow has dropped down to 300
I hear you with the decreased lung function and narcotics. I have sleep apnea and my AHI (apnea hypoxic index) has gone from 1 an hour to 2.5, with CPAP. AHI under 5 is considered good, so 2.5 is OK, just that it is better off of narcotics. My asthma has been good so far, as long as I keep up my medications I should be OK.
I hope you were well enough for your family get together tonight. It is so frustrating to have to cancel events. I missed so many parties and family get togethers before I was diagnosed, it makes me sad to even think about.
Getting along so far, resting, leg is up, ice is on, and meds on time.
 
Hi all. I have had a very tearful day. My son came I burst into tears. My daughter called I burst into tears. I have realised that every month since this surgery I have had a chest infection - that's never right. I don't have that many In a year normally. I think I'm a little depressed too, things I read in the paper make me cry, like that young lad of 19 who is in his last days of cancer and has raised £2.5 million pounds for the Teenage Cancer Trust. That made me person. I have no right to feel sorry for myself, when he and his family are going through all that - it's such a cruel disease.

Anyway catch you all later. I'm glad the birthday party went well @Jozilla
@TexasTee thanks so much for the link I'll have a proper look at all this when I feel a bit more coherent. I really do appreciate this. However, my Symbicort inhaler has an exercising device built in so that as you suck it puts pressure on the lungs as you breathe in the medication. However, I remember my husbands Uncle having one of those devices and he did say that they worked well.

@robynhood my left knee will need replacing too and I said it'll be hanging off before I have another one, I know where all this fear comes from but perhaps, maybe, the next time it will be easier knowing what to expect.

@Pumpkln I cancelled tonight earlier on. I just feel like someone's pulled the plug on my energy every thing feels such an effort!

Please take care everyone.

Catch you later love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo
 
You were wise to cancel if you did not feel up to the party. I am sure you family understands. It is rough when you deal with multiple conditions, each one effecting the others, somtimes not for the best. I have one of those inspirometers, it helps keep my lungs clear and working. We have some extras around the house, sorry I cannot just beam one over to you.
 
Oh @Pumpkln you are so kind hearted. Yes it's a real shame I'm over the pond. Never mind it's nice you thought of me this way and make such a kind offer. I'm in bed early. I feel wiped out tonight.

@Jozilla your grandson is gorgeous, he has a lovely face and such a cute smile x x x iPhones are a nightmare with this site. I don't know why. I had terrible trouble while I was away but that was more to do with the signal.

Take care catch you later love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27, poor you, I'm sending big hugs, I'm so sorry you are feeling so poorly still, I do hope that someone can sort out these constant chest infections. I don't suffer from asthma, but years ago I was constantly getting serious chest infections - pneumonia and even pleurisy one year. My GP suggested that I have the flu jab every winter, and also gave me the pneumonia jab, I haven't had a serious infection ever since, the odd cough but nothing worse thank goodness.
@Jozilla, what a gorgeous photo, your grandson is a real charmer.
Perhaps you and I should set up a forum to support parents of teenage daughters!!! I've had a wonderful afternoon and evening with mine today and I thank God for His help with her at the time and for giving me the strength to never give up on her. She wanted me to, friends were advising me to for the sake of my health, but I refused to give up on her, and now I know I was right, she is mine forever now, because she knows that I just kept fighting for her.
 
Hi all. I have a GP appointment at 4.10 this afternoon. Hubby persuaded me to get out of the house for some fresh air and go to Aldi with him. Wish I hadn't bothered. I tripped over the corner of a pallet with stuff on it cos that's how they display at the ends of their aisles. Knee worse still now and my foot hurts. I love that you were able to reminisce with your daughter over things that was lovely and interesting to read.

@dogwheels I cried when I read your post it was so kind and lovely. Thank you x

@Jozilla you are so kind too thank you.

@Ellejay I hope to goodness you get a desirable outcome today for your knee. Fingers crossed


Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that Let us know how you get on with GP. Fingers crossed everything ok. Sending you hugs (((((((( )))))))) to make you feel better


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 - sorry about your spill...hope you are feeling better?

I also hope I'm not overstepping but I got curious and did some checking and the use of morphine is not encouraged for someone with breathing problems. Perhaps you need to ask your doctor if there isn't anything else that you can try? I know you've done so in the past but it seems pretty certain that the morphine must be contributing to all of these chest issues.
 
Hi all,

Thank you for all your lovely messages and support you are so kind.

In between getting really upset in the GP's office I asked if I could have an alternative to morphine due to my chest playing up again. He went quiet, got all my records up on the screen and then said to me "you were on this from the end of October and up until the surgery you were fine on it. It has relieved the worst of your pain and it works well" he does not think this is contributing to my chest. However, I'm not convinced.

Anyway he's prescribed me antibiotics and steroids. He has referred me to the chest clinic at the local hospital, I just have to wait for the appointment to come through. He's very concerned about the amount of infections I have had since January and that is why he is referring me. He has given me another four weeks off. I'm going into HR in the morning and meeting with my boss informally in the afternoon at a quieter centre, separate from where HR are located. She just wants to catch up with me and have a chat (her words). She obviously cannot come to the house without HR as that can be classed as harassment. I'm going to have a chat with her about he possibility of reducing my assessor job hours and replacing the hours with more teaching. To be honest I haven't felt safe in a long time in some of the areas within the inner city that I have to visit during my caseload.

My knee hurts from the trip earlier. Could've done without that! Still Im here to tell the tales as they say!

@Ellejay how are you? How did you get on?

Catch you all later
Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've come up to bed and thought I'd do a bit of posting. I hope that everyone is ok.

I have taken my steroids and antibiotics for my chest infection, 40mg morphine. 2 x paracetamol for pain relief, two puffs Ventolin, two puffs Atrovent, two puffs Symbicort, one Montelukast tablet for my Asthma and I feel like a hypochondriac. I know I'm not but I feel that way.

I'm relaxing as best I can. Tomorrow is my 37th wedding anniversary. Gosh it's gone so fast it really has x

I'll be around for a bit so feel free to post. Love Nana moon 27 xxx

@Jozilla my husband said it's my little feet fitting where they shouldn't under that pallet in Aldi!!! Lol x
 
@nanamoon. Sorry spoke to soon. Was just reading all your posts and didn't know you fell over something again oh no!! And your poor lungs....it's so different here in the states with nebulizer with steroids in it..treatments steroids and my friend who's a nurse would come over and do toileting on my back, cupping/slapping up and down back. Very helpful. Haven't had a bad asthma outbreak in years could be getting immune from all those silky kids I teach
Feel better praying for your quick recovery
Xosusanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Hi @susanne I never ever became immune from teaching the nursery kids when i was working in that industry. I loved it. If they had a cold or a sniff I would get it without fail and my chest would be continuously bad up until the spring!

Services over here are very stretched so it's difficult to access anything. I do get my husband to do the thumping my back and my ribs (not too hard) that can ease the congestion sometimes.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi all. Thank you so much for the anniversary wishes you have sent me they are so lovely. I'm so impressed with what a caring group we have here. I'm so blessed to have you.
I went into HR they were great. My due back date is 26th May which is the Whitsun holiday. They said oh your voice is your chest bad again they obviously remembered from before. I sat and explained everything that is happening with my knee chest everything. I think it's best to keep them well informed so that they are aware of any potential future problems.

The PT with Freddy was great but he warned me I would feel like he was beating me up today. He said he can see an improvement to how it was but it is still not how he'd like it. He wants me to text and let him now what the consultant says. My goodness today was extremely uncomfortable but he did say if it got unbearable to tell him. That totalled twice. However when I lay on my tummy after twenty minutes he managed to really straighten it. The problem was that when I rolled back over it was killing me. However, a couple of acupuncture needles later and I was fine. He said there is some give in the knee still so it is doable still. He just wishes I could afford more sessions. It's out of the question.

I had my meeting with my boss that went well too. I saw so e if my colleagues my teaching group, my assessing groups. It was such a lovely welcome off them all. I feel fine about returning to work. In actual fact I really want to get back now. I won't do it at the risk of my health though.

I hope your all having a lovely day. We're taking our two daughters out with us this evening our treat to them for all their help with my knee recovery.

Husbands downstairs in not a very good mood because of all the driving and waiting around. I kind of understand this. The last bit was worse because the centre I went to is inner city which he despises because of the mad drivers, which Ive mentioned before in earlier post about my assessing job. So I've left him downstairs calming down with his crossword and I'm up here relaxing. This will avoid an argument, as his driving back was equally as bad as theirs and I was a bit scared. I'm very tired as this chest infection has knocked me about a bit.

Post you later love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi all. I had a lovely meal we took our two daughters. We had a lovely evening and totally overate!
I've had an early night x I'm overtired and exhausted. It's been a very busy day and I'm not feeling exactly sparkly x

I hope that you have all had a really good day. Chat soon all love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi @susanne sit down honey we made 37 years today. My second daughter said congratulations on not killing each other after all this time lol!

My knee always feels good for a day or so after physio then it's back to normal pain. Doc gave me another month off yesterday. No gossip at our place worse luck! My lungs feel a bit better but it's a false feeling of wellness from the steroids! I think you're right about your principal too!

Lovely to hear from you. I love this coffee stop too!

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi @Josephine I need your advice please. This is as straight as my leg goes standing foot to foot. What is your opinion please? I am due to finally see the surgeon who did this next Tues 6th May to discuss the lack of straightening. I have to travel to a different hospital to where I had the surgery because he was a cover surgeon that did my op at Solihull. I never met him before or after the surgery! I could do with some tips please of what I should say to him. I cried at the GP's office yesterday because I've had to have yet another month off work. I so desperately want to go back, I've had enough of being stuck, unable to drive because I'm still on morphine for the pain. Any advice would be so welcome x thank you x

[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have preferred a photo straight on as it's difficult to see what's going on from that angle.

My first observation is that your right thigh is still extremely swollen which would account for much of the disparity.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom