Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Well I'm glad to be home after all that blooming rain. However, i must say that it has done me a power of good to get away from this house. It was fabulous having everything on one level.

Yesterday I managed 5 lengths and 4 widths at the swimming pool in Wales. I've done more walking and for the last four days no crutch whatsoever. However, there are not so many people around where I was staying xxxxx

I missed you all so much. I have only just woken up. I've got to go get my breakfast, take my pain meds and start reading up on what I've missed so I can post properly.

Take care catch you later

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back! Glad you had such a restful and good time. I think we forget to have fun during recovery. It is so important to get balance back in our lives. I am going to our camper this weekend. It is another world for me when I go there and I cannot wait! Take care!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 - welcome back, and glad that you have had a restful time and enjoyed your break.
Well done with your walking and your swimming - I've been thinking of you and hoping that you have been enjoying yourself.
@Jozilla - enjoy your weekend at your camper - and make the most of some time away.
Talk to you all later
X
 
Welcome back @Nana moon 27!
I too have taken a break from a lot of things for the past couple weeks, so I have a LOT of reading to do to catch up on!
Hope everyone is well.
Caryn
 
Hello all I hope you are ok?

Hi @yiayia3 are you ok? How's your back? I read the post and I absolutely cringed in horror. It's something I'm terrified of. I bet you were badly shaken up. I bet your so. Was mortified when that happened.

Well I had a great few days at the caravan. I've come home but I've already got the tight band feeling and it can only be because of the stairs. It's ridiculous! My knees swollen up. I will speak to Freddy tomorrow and see what he thinks about this.

I have another problem. Where the scars are on my leg from the blisters the skin keeps reacting almost like an eczema on the one. It's driving me crazy. It's so weird.

Well I'm off to watch my dancing granddaughter do her other thing now. She has a lead role in a drama after school club and they are doing a one night production tonight in the school at six. She has a solo to sing too, so I have to take plenty of Kleenex. I only heard the song once when she practised it at my house and I cried then. It's a sad song. The play is about how a little girl feels neglected by her mom who is always busy etc (she is a divorcee I think). I'll let you know more later. My daughter has asked for a seat for me with leg room so hope fully that will be sorted for me x

Will post later I look forward to hearing about your days and I'll see you later xoxoxoxoxo

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxoxo
 
@Nana moon 27 You sound reinvigorated after your trip :) We've just had a busy morning taking the kids to the Farm and Ranch museum to see all the animals and play. Lots of fun for everyone --knee has not complained so that makes me happy. Everyone is now napping :sleep: so I'm hoping for a couple of hrs with legs elevated.
It's our 43rd wedding anniversary tomorrow and the 4 mth anniversary of my new knee. :SUNsmile: I can honestly say that the knee is significantly better than it was a month ago and most days feels pretty normal --still has the occasional hissy-fit to remind me to still be careful.:spin: I'm like you --it does not like stairs at all !
 
Hi @Chihuahuan, It's lovely to hear from you and yes, I am in a better place mentally. I couldn't swim that far pre operatively and I'm over the moon about that. You sound like your having a great time with the kids and the farm and everything. I'm really pleased that you can elevate your legs for a couple of hours too.

Congratulations on your 43rd wedding anniversary, a rare thing in this day and age. Oh and happy 4 month Akneeversary too! Have you anything planned to celebrate?

I think the swimming has helped my knee immensely but it feels like it's all being undone now. I am going to talk to Freddy the physio tomorrow about why my knee is reacting to the stairs the way it is. I will post his reply on here tomorrow.

Have a lovely evening. Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo
 
Morning all. I hope that you've all slept well? I will post later. I am on my way to physio. Take care love Nana moon 27xoxoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

Physio was very uncomfortable today at first.when I woke up and went downstairs this morning after posting you all, my kneecap felt terrible. All around it felt atrocious. Anyway, I went to physio. He started to massage my leg muscles and my knee and unusually it hurt. So he put the acupuncture needle in on the worst spot at the time. It relieved it for a while. All the time the kneecap was reacting and even he said that this was unusual. He continued the massaging and I said that's really hurting me! He immediately stopped and asked me to tell him where. It was to the top of the right hand side of the kneecap. I explained that I had only had this problem again since returning home. He said he thinks it's to do with the stairs, giving my knee a nasty shock to the system after a week of none. He put an acupuncture needle into that spot and wow! It worked like a charm. Every single pain in my kneecap and surrounding area just went, even the one in my hip! He then removed the needle, carried on massaging and gentle pressure on the kneecap. By the end of the hour he had got it almost straight. One of the things he did too was to get one of the private doctors at the surgery to have a look at my knee as a favour! Wow! He said that it definitely needs to be straighter but said that my bend was very good. He was a little concerned that it is still hot and a bit swollen but said that isn't unusual in some cases. Today my op leg was nearly in line with my good leg when I had them both bent up after doing a heel slide. He has given me instructions for my husband to help me do these things at home including gentle pressure on the joint.

He was very happy about my going swimming and doing the exercises in the water (thank you Dogwheels), I have made another appointment on 29th April (my 37th wedding anniversary). I also have the doctors at 8.40 that morning too. I explained that I'm back off to Wales again on Monday for a couple of weeks and will continue with the exercises and the swimming.

Afterwards we did a bit of shopping at the supermarket but I just wanted to come home and have a cup of tea. My daughter and granddaughter turned up. She wasn't very well and had a temperature. Poor little thing. Probably all the excitement from the performance last night. I kind of kept my distance from her. No disrespect but I finally seem to have got my asthma under control again with that extra inhaler off the GP and don't need another illness to set it all off again!

Were going to visit my father in law tonight. He's 86 lives independently still drives. does all his own shopping, cooking and cleaning. He's is a miserable old whatsit who doesn't realise how lucky he is compared to most of his age. I get on very well with him because I take no notice of his grumpiness. He is starting to look a bit frail and his eyesight is beginning to go. He has an eye test soon and I think they'll stop him driving. We've suggested it to him but all you get is "you might as well cut my legs off if you do that to me!" He does use public transport mainly, more than driving so he doesn't really need to drive. However, it must be awful to get to that stage, still feeling young inside and having your kids tell you that you should no longer be driving. Terrible!

Anyway, I'll catch up with you later everyone

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Im a little bit teary tonight but if I'm honest I've been like it since physio this morning. Like yourself it was not a pleasant experience. Silly things are getting to me right now like the house isn't as I want it tidy wise. I can't stand how it looks but I just seem to be on this tearful energy drain thing at the moment it's really horrible.

I wanted to vacuum the living room carpet and couldn't because my vacuum cleaner is too heavy and cumbersome to carry down the stairs. It's still upstairs because my husband was supposed to be sorting out our bedroom so I could move back in it. I am sleeping on the front bedroom. I live on a main road and it is busy morning and night. While I was in Wales I slept like a log only waking up once or twice briefly. I'm return here and it's back to insomniaville! I know that a lot of it is traffic noise disturbing me. The worst are the big articulated wagons. We are on a main route that leads directly to Solihull Town Centre which is nearest and Birmingham in e other direction. The plus side is living next to a country park it takes the edge off all of that. It's so nice to walk out the back and see cows, horses and sheep. It's lovely. I have said that if I ever come into some money, I'll have triple glazing fitted throughout this house. I didn't get to father in laws I ended up looking after my granddaughter for a few hours, so my husband went alone.

My daughters coming tomorrow lunchtime and were going shopping, nothing exciting just food. My eldest daughter and her partner and friends are going up to the caravan until Sunday afternoon. We are supposed to go back up on Monday, possibly Tuesday.

Catch you later
Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you had a rough physio NM - not sleeping always puts me on emotional edge, could go from grumpy to teary in the blink of an eye.

Have you tried sleeping in ear plugs? If normal ones bother you try some meant for kids or at least the smallest size available - the Adult version hurt my ears.

My dog is 175lbs and afraid of her own shadow so I bought an air purifier that was rated as the best at cleaning the air and the WORST at being loud. I run it all night and have for years - the white noise is so loud that I can't hear anything else and sleep thru most any noise and if you've ever known a mastiff you know that they are champion snorers!!
 
Physio was very uncomfortable today at first.

Hi @Nana moon 27 ! When I read over your post I see you are going through a rough time with it I hope things get better for you soon!

I can't stand how it looks but I just seem to be on this tearful energy drain thing at the moment it's really horrible.
The energy drain is the thing that I am struggling with right now. It's terrible! Here's to you and me :cheers: to have our energy back SOON!!!


I hope you have fun with your family! You deserve that!!! :yes:
 
Hi all

I'm going to start a phrase "WEAR YOUR SCAR WITH PRIDE!" Seriously these scars don't look too bad. I wore a dress today and I was not two bits bothered that my scar showed. I went shopping and couldn't care less if anyone noticed or not. I'll get this weight back off and I will wear my shorts on the caravan site and not care. In fact next week I might wear the ones I use for Physio. If people ask let's tell them! We've been extremely brave to undergo this type of major surgery and that's why I think we should be proud of our scars. I refuse to let this ruin my life. I'd rather have the scar than the weight quite frankly. That may sound crazy but because of my Asthma, weight gain is not good for that. Even bending over to pick something up is taking my breath away.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pumpkln & @Chihuahuan I like how this is going x pumpkin you are right it is rare that people notice much other than themselves! Chihuahuan that was a lovely thing your grandson said about a boo boo knee...I love it...so cute! Yep we'll wear our scar with pride. If people notice so what. It's no worse than a spot on your face!!!! Xxxx
 
Hi everyone.

I woke up in pain something terrible this morning. Anyway I didn't reach straight for my meds cos I needed the loo. After I'd been the loo and got my meds bag and other bits and pieces, I realised that the walking round had reduced the pain right the way down. So, I have taken 10mg less of Morphine this morning and will see how I get on. I think I'm going to try walking every morning before my meds. I keep waking up on my side with my leg bent and it hurts like anything. I'd tried doing heel slides before I got out of bed but even they hurt. Anyway, I finally found my little set of pedals on a machine thing, I am going to have a go at that later. I hope that you've all had a good nights rest or sleep. I'm definitely sleeping better and longer now once I do go off.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. My OS appointment has come at last for May 6th with the actual surgeon who did my op. I never met him as he was a stand in. I thought it was bad manners on his part not to introduce himself x it is at a different hospital which isn't as good as the one I went in for the actual op. It is in the rehabilitation centre. I have a lot to ask. I just hope he's okay to communicate with. Anyway I'm going to have a little nap. Kids are staying tonight xxx
 
Whoa, you never met this guy before surgery :sad:. Have you looked up how many knees he does in a year, that would be most interesting.
Looking forward to hearing how your appt goes.
Just really stopped by to have some :mcoffee:, this morning. BTW we are watching some UK soccer, my husband is a big fan.
 
Hiya @Nana moon 27 & all the coffee club bunch! I'm so pleased that you were able to walk off some of your soreness/stiffness instead of going straight for the meds! Yey! I always sleep on my side now with my leg bent - of course, I toss and turn all night, but I usually settle on laying on my surgical side. I'm always very stiff in the morning. Glad you got your OS appointment and yes, very weird to have some surgeon perform your surgery that you've never met.

I'm off to volunteer at a culinary festival today. When I originally signed up, before my TKR, I assumed I'd be good as new by now so I chose a position that requires lots of standing, walking and bending. Eek. I hope they can switch me to a different position or else I'm gonna be in big trouble! I bought some new tennies at Costco the other day - Nike water shoes - and they're pretty comfy, so I'm wearing those today. Who knew that I'd have such a selection of trainers ..... ever.

Hope everyone has a great day! xoxoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 Ooh enjoy all that yummy food DL3 sounds lovely xxxxx who'd have thought me in sensible shoes and trainers too. I so get you on that! Xxxx
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom