Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Hi @Nana moon 27, glad your daughter was able to take you to the appt. and to go with you. It's good you have a supportive bunch of folks who are helping you through all of this. How is your daughter who was waiting for an appt. and testing. My prayers are with her and with you as well. Hope you get some rest and are feeling better than new in the am. At least you can get a cap nap here and there. Sweet dreams :zzz:...
 
Ann, one of the things that may be causing you some of your pain is your level of activity. In reading through your thread since your surgery on September 22nd (only a little over 8 weeks ago!), it does sound like you may be pushing yourself too much. Can you cut back for a while and see if the pain lessens? I know you have stairs in your house, but if you could limit the times up and down to 2-3 times a day, let the home chores go, and do just the absolute minimum of errands along with icing and elevating your knees (both of them....do the non-surgery knee too since it hurts), I believe you might have less pain.

What I'm worried about is that you may be setting yourself up for a situation where you have chronic pain that is very difficult to treat. This can come when a joint is continuously inflamed from overactivity.
 
Good morning Ann,
I'm glad the chest clinic went well, even though it was a bit of a trial for you. It was nice of your daughter to accompany you, they obviously want to support you. As Jamie says, try to rest as much as possible xxxxx. Lyn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow @Jamie

I thought that I wasn't doing enough. Ok, yes I can limit the stairs but only if I stay up in my bedroom which has done my mental health no good. However my daughter took the net down on Saturday for washing and the view across the park from my window is lovely. The room feels less prison like, I will post a pic on my coffee shop thread x x

I seriously thought that I should be doing more. My non TKR is awful at the moment but I know what I did that aggravated it. I've been going up and downstairs with piles of washing and boxes from online shopping, not using hand rail or stick. Funnily enough a friend of mine said I should use the sick when going upstairs because I only have a partial hand rail x x the stairs twist and the bottom and the top and they are very steep. I cannot carry the washing or the boxes and walk upstairs normally. I have to lead with my non TKR and bring my other foot to that stair. It's scary cos sometimes I think I'm going to fall. I'm trying to overcome this fear and get back to normal. Once every day I walk upstairs normally. I attempt three stairs down normal but I have to twist my hep to do it so I think I'm not ready yet quite.

The last thing I want is chronic pain Jamie, so I'm taking your advice and backing off all of this unnecessary stuff.

I've hydrotherapy in he morning, although I dread seeing that cold fish PT who thinks I should return to work on morphine and be ferried about by taxi at the colleges expense!! Ermmmm a college that has just made a stack of people redundant and voluntary severance. The axe falls again this summer. They are not going to want to pay taxis for something to do their job.

I met with HR and they were lovely with me. The manager said she really looks forward to the day when I can come back because I always made her laugh with my cheeky humour. She also reassured me about my job too. She said please stop worrying about work, get well and then come back. We would rather have you back fit and ready rather than not quite ready and then go sick again x x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry things are a bit trying for you right now. I think maybe you are doing too much at only 8 weeks. Please rest. Take care. -- Joni
 
Ann, @Nana moon 27

This is Josephine's recommended Activity progression for TKRs

You went right back to week one when you had the revision, so I think Jamie is right and you have probably been doing too much. Carrying boxes and washing up and down stairs is not a good idea yet. Nor is using the vacuum cleaner.

Don't let that bossy, know-it-all physio upset you - she's also forgotten that you had a revision. Just smile sweetly and shut your ears, or else tell her what you're really thinking!
 
Ha ha @Celle you really made me laugh on your last line. It wS so out of character for me to feel that way towards someone. It would have been :censored::censored::censored: :heehee:

Anyway as I said to @dogwheels I'm not there to make friends or win a popularity contest with her. I shall just use her instructions and ignore any "helpful" advice. Ooh she's a right miserable Aberdeen Angus that one is for sure.

Take care
Love Ann x x x
 
Oh my....I had no idea you were actually CARRYING heavy things up and down stairs. You must not do that. No wonder your knees are giving you fits. And you are risking a serious fall!!! Have your husband tote those things for you. Or....if that's not possible, transport no more than one thing a day and use this method:

Going up the stairs: Place the box or basket on the second or third step up. Walk up the first step or two and plant your feet firmly on the step that is most comfortable for your reach that is below the item. Spread feet out wide so you create a good stable base to balance. Then using your arms (not your back), lift the box or basket up one step. Holding onto the hand rail, step up one level and again plant your feet wide on the step. Continue this until you are at the top of the stairs. Once at the top, scoot the box/basket out of the way so you can safely use the rail to get to the top. Once you are at the top of the stairs you can scoot or (if it's not too heavy) lift the item where you need to take it. Always hold the rail when moving from step to step and don't let go until your feet are firmly planted to move the box/basket.

Going down the stairs: You're going to do the opposite of what I posted above. Place the box/basket at the top of the stairs. Carefully walk around it and (using the rail) go down a couple of steps where you can comfortably reach the item. You'll be going down the stairs backward....facing the head of the stairs as you go. Plant your feet wide on the steps and lift the box/basket down a step or two. It's okay to slide it if that's comfortable. Then leave it sitting on the step and use the hand rail to step down another step or two. Repeat the sliding/lifting motion. Be sure and hold on to the hand rail every time you step backwards down the stairs. Take no more than two steps at a time....one is fine. Look where you are placing your feet and be sure you have yourself firmly planted before letting go of the railing.

When you carry loads you are stressing both your new knee and your bad one. This is not something you should be doing at this stage in recovery and it could be a huge part of your problem.

Just remember....the heaviest thing you should be carrying around the house at this point is your smile....:yes:.
 
Enjoy your pool time. Hope it's relaxing
I usually find when people give me advice I don't want to follow, I smile and nod and then ignore them anyway . Also being ultra polite to rude people really annoys them!:tantrum2:

Have a good day.
 
Briliant clear instruction @Jamie I am also a trainer and know how diifficult it is to do concise clear instructions. @nana moon27 you trying to make me lose what hair I have left x

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I have been using Jamie's method of getting things up an down stairs. For the last three years I bundle up the dirty washing on the landing at the top of stairs and throw it over the banister down to the hall. I works so long as the bundle is not too big. I then go downstairs and use either my crutches or my good leg to 'kick' it to the washing machine. More trouble getting it back up though, I have to do a few at a time but I do get clean clothes. Most times I am still using both banister rails for doing stairs. I also use a light rucksack for moving small light loads round the house that way I have both my arms free to hang on to my crutches walls etc. My balance isn't good.
 
Before my recent TKR, my left knee was so bad I could only crawl up stairs, so I found a plastic box that fitted onto a stair and would put things in there that needed to go upstairs, hopefully my husband would take it up and then I could sort it when I next went up, sometimes I had to resort to Jamie's method, one step at a time. Dirty washing was always thrown done stairs, it's going to be hard to stop doing that, I've done it for so long!
 
Hi all.

Hydro was good.

I went to hydro got on ok with the physio I don't like much. Did my exercises. Im exhausted. I got back elevated my leg and now gone to bed for an hour to rest my whole body and may be get a nap in before going to dad's 80th xxx

@Jamie my mom hates my stairs. They twist at the bottom and the top. There us only a partial hand rail up the right hand side on top of the uprights. After reading your post your absolutely right. I know he'll moan and groan but he's going to have to do it. My non TKR is dreadful and my TKR is stiff xx

I've arranged to meet friends at our other friends house in the morning 11am. He is going to drop me off and pick me up. She live 5 mins drive away. One of the friends is the one whose husbands funeral I went to last week. I'm getting better about going out.

All my love to everyone whos posted with much thanks. Catch you later

Love Ann xx
 
Glad to hear you are :elevate: now, and are no longer going to cart stuff up and down your stairs. I still leave that for DH, I do toss the laundry down :bricks:.
I hope you get a good :sleep:after exercising.
 
So glad the hydro went well, do you think it is improving your bend? Or strengthening the joint? My clips will be removed on Dec 22nd, so I think I will probably wait until the New Year to go to the pool to do some exercises.
It is so good to hear you talking about going out Ann, you will have fun when you get together with your friends tomorrow, and you will start to feel better about yourself. I hope your Dads 80th goes well, will it be a big party or just close family? I am upset that I can't get to see my Dad for a few weeks, the car journey will be too uncomfortable, and I know as soon as I got to the home he would have me doing small jobs for him, he won't understand about me resting, so it's best I don't go, but I feel guilty about not visiting.
Have a good evening Ann, xxx
 
I have a laundry bag that I used to get wash up and down the steps to the laundry room while I was recovering. I could drag it to the steps and kind of swing throw it down stairs. Then I'd wash the bag with the laundry and put the clean laundry in to carry upstairs. I'd put the bag one step up from where I was standing, one step at a time. And I used the cane and railing both for quite a while.

It's totally understandable that you want to get around and not stay in one place in the house. Just pick your "battles" :wink:
oh and vacuuming just had to wait--I found it one of the hardest things.

Happy:ice:
 
Oh thank you @kneeper that's a good idea

I have got a large cloth bag I could do that with. Yes I'm going to start using the crutch on the stairs again because of the lack of handrail and the steepness x

Ok all,

I have started to sleep. Ok I woke up at 2ish with weird stuff running round my head so I posted some pics on my thread of last night in Nana Moons Coffee shop. I soon feel back to sleep x x x

Usually when I wake up I'm in pain. This morning it's like a dull ache. I can live with that. Mind you I've not got up yet x x x x xx


Catch you later x x
Love Ann ❤️ xxxx
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom