Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

@Chihuahuan I always have a shower because I didn't think I could have a bath unaided and for obvious reason didn't want my husband to help me. I'm a very private person like that and with how my body looks at the moment I'm not the most confident. I would prefer to do it on my own. Would you mind awfully, explaining how you get in and out of the bath please. Thank you x x x gosh to have a bath would be heaven. I have one of those freestanding Victorian style ones on legs x that would help me immensely if I could have a soak x x
 
Hoping you have a different therapist next week. The hydro therapy should be fun for you, and the others with you in the pool.
I agree you might want to call the head of the department and report the poor behavior of this person.
:swim:
 
Hi @Chihuahuan, well she did set decent exercises for me but do you know both knees rally hurt this afternoon. Took some paracetamol and had a sleep. I'm very very shaky too xxx
 
I think that the kind thing to do is to give her one more chance. She didn't hurt me but gosh my knees hurt this afternoon. My non TKR is getting beyond a joke now x x x
 
Thank you @pumpk1n. I thought about putting a dining chair next to the bath so I can slide my legs into it and then try lowering using my upper arms, they are very strong x my worry is getting out x there are no handrails just both sides of the bath to grab on to. X
 
Hi Ann, here again are Ellejays bath instructions (& if you are reading this @DogLoverx3 dont choke on your coffee)
1)fill bath with lovely warm bubbly water, 2) place child's plastic stool at opposite end to taps, 3)get in bath and sit on stool, 4)gently lower yourself down to base of bath, 5) lift stool from behind you, place on bath mat, 6) soak as long as you like, 7) lift stool back into bath, behind you, 8) gently and carefully lift yourself back to sit on stool, 9) from sitting on the stool carefully stand up (this may be difficult without handles on your bath!) 10) using good leg 1st, step out of bath.
Hope this helps, as @pumpkin suggested, maybe practising in tee shirt and leggings might be a good idea. Good Luck xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My procedure is the same @Ellejay. For a high tub --mine is low-- I would try the chair on the side. Maybe have a crutch available to help you to get out once you are standing. Maybe have hubby help with your practice run with clothes on. I think it's one of those things that you have to visualize first and think about any obstacles. The hard part is getting your knees under the body to stand up --that's where scooting your rear on to the stool comes in. Maybe dry while you are standing in the tub so you're not slippery. I have a TKR friend who puts a hand towel onto the bottom of the tub at the tap end so she can get some traction. It's bliss once you work it out. @Nana moon 27
 
Ann,
I know your knees are hurting, so I am going to post the post op reading for you, the ones you received earlier this year are in the old format, this is the new format.
So here is the New and Improved Post Op reading for you! :tada:
Yes I re read them, to refresh my memory.


First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

:angel:
 
Well I totally got the date wrong for my chest clinic appointment. It's next Monday!!!! Knees have been uncomfortable but bearable. My TKR is swollen x x so I'm in bed elevating and icing x x x hubby took me out for a very short walk tonight and I saw some very pretty Christmas lights. I said I'd like to do this each night because I don't have to worry about how I look x I'm not as anxious either going out in the dark x x x

Love Ann x x x x
 
I SO get the anxiety piece. It goes hand and hand with depression. I am doing a little better going places that have felt unbearable. It is a long process and takes many different modalities to heal. The group I am in right now is amazing with a leader who is well informed about what he is doing. It is DBT, not CBT. I think there are some similarities though.
 
I've had a weird day. Not been good. My depression/anxiety has been not good. However, a much loved friend has been in touch and comforted me. That was nice.

It's strange I had a very emotional morning. I sat there thinking about my poor friend who's husbands funeral it was yesterday. The next thing it hit me that she's no longer going to have the love of her life there at the side of her in bed or around the house, or to share things with any more. They'd been married 43 years and still adored one another. I burst into tears. I needed someone to hold me or just be there. My husband came upstairs looked at me and asked what was the matter. I told him. He stood back and said you shouldn't take the world on your shoulders. I said I know and broke down. He turned on his heel and went back downstairs. It did me a favour cos I cried until I couldn't cry anymore. I'm still quite upset and lord knows how my friend must be feeling. I've known her for 33 years x

My TKR is very stiff above the knee where the quad joins and when I bend it there's a tight band pulling down the centre of the knee x My left knee is aching and my left hip I struggling to lie on as it has a strong toothache feeling in it.

I'm in bed. Have taken meds. Pray they work xx

@hopefaith, thank you. You do truly understand this. The doc signed me off yesterday for two more months xxx I wish you luck with your DBT. It's nice to have you back on posting xx it really is xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@Nana moon 27 I have an odd view of things, I think people who die are still with us. They are watching over us. You can talk to them and sometimes an answer will come, maybe not words, but a certain fragrance, the feeling that someone is near, a certain song playing. I know death isn't the end. Her husband is still with her, just not in the way he use to be. She will see him in her dreams.
 
Sorry you're feeling bad. Here's an article from the library regarding that tight band feeling. It happens to most of us at one time or another, but usually resolves eventually. It can take a long time, though....even more than a year for some folks. You've done the right thing to rest and take pain meds. You can always ice as well because that also helps with the pain and discomfort.

Tight Band Feeling

Also sorry about your husband. Seems I recall you've read that book about Men Being From Mars, so you know they just aren't wired like we women are. They usually don't understand and feel helpless and awkward when women cry. I've found when I have this problem with my hubby, it helps if I just tell him outright that I need some hugs and comforting and talk to tell me things will be okay. That he can understand and he'll do it then. But if I wait for him to guess what I need....well.....most of the time I'd still be waiting!
 
@Nana moon 27, the funeral has hit you bad but it isn't surprising. You have known your friend for a long time. I am glad you were able to release your emotions, it sometimes helps to have a cry. I hope all your pains both physical and emotional calm down and you are able to get to sleep.
 
Ann, Jamie is right! Some men just can't cope when they see tears. My husband would have reacted just as yours did. He occasionally admits that he hates to see tears. I wait until he is out of the house if I need to cry. Like Jamie, I have to say outright "I need a hug".

I'm sorry you are sad for your friend. You'll be there for her as time passes, I know.
 
Hi @Celle

The evidence is becoming overwhelming about some men and crying x We all experience similar things. That's reassuring for me thank you xxx

Yes I'll be there formy friend. Our little gang of us old girls (ex nursery nurses that used to work together as well as friends from when kids were little) are due to meet up at our other friends house on Thursday next. She asked if I could drink and I said maybe one small shot glass of sherry or wine whatever? I hope that will be ok on all these meds.

Lovely to hear from you x
Catch you later
Love Ann x
 
Well....you know we're going to tell you not to mix alcohol with the meds you're taking. Maybe they could get you some sparkling grape juice. It's really much like champagne.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom