Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

I got about 4.5 hours sleep. I don't know whether I'm lying in a strange position in the night but I've woken up and oh my knees. They hurt. Both of them. I went downstairs made myself a cuppa and some breakfast and just took my antibiotics and Paracetamol (Tylenol).

The pain starting to ease up a bit. My sil has loaned me a book to read. Nothing heavy, a wartime story about life for girls in the 'munitions factory and life in general. It is fictional x so I'm going back to that now and hope I fall asleep reading x

It dawned on me last night that part of my anxiety with sleeping at night is stemming from the morphine. As I sleep alone I haven't got that feeling of someone keeping an eye on me. Although I know my husband does check on me in the night. I didn't realise at first but then I noticed my glass of water was replenished or something had been moved, or a light switched off somewhere. Last night as I started to doze, there were shadows walking round my room again. Since the reduction of morphine this is a bit scary when your on your own, having the hallucinations start. I had fully intended to reduce the morphine further today but can't because my left (non TKR) is really uncomfortable. Still nothing can be as bad as the room full of writhing snakes I had the one night, now that was terrifying or being dragged away in a dream, screaming, floating, feet first into a deconsecrated church, where something really bad was going to get me. These shadows felt like they were going to become snakes or get me, so I put the lamp in but the shadows were still there. In the end I got up out the main light on and I was ok. I sound nuts.
 
Hi all@Nanamoon does sound like your meds are keeping you awake, steroids are well known for it.I had to take steroids for Two years for Polymalgia and on high doses was shaky depressed and could not sleep,so let's hope when you stop them you will feel a bit better, fingers crossed.Off to have my eyes tested this morning well over due speak later x
 
Morning ....glad you went to the doctors & got something better for the anxiety ....sometimes it's the only way to get our minds under control @Nana moon 27. Hopefully decreasing the steroids will help you get some much needed sleep too. 4.5 hours last night...an improvement! Our minds are so powerful...the games they play! In a while or so you will hopefully back to your normal bouncy self.....it's good you took control back and went to the docs.

Hope you have a better day ...thinking of you...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ann @Nana moon 27

You are a remarkable women and are always there for others.

There are very many here on BoneSmart here for you, anytime of day or night to help you fight off those scary snakes, or be there with you in the dark times.

James Taylor sang, "You got a friend" but you have many, many friends here.

Take care,
Cathie x
 
@Nana moon 27 Glad your Dr is helping sort out your meds. High doses of steroids give my daughter scary nightmares. Hopefully as you are able to decrease steroids and morphine the bad dreams will stop and you will be able to have restful sleep. I had never heard of the mindfulness course until it was mentioned here. It will be great if it helps. Have a good day.
 
@Nana moon 27 Good morning to you! You were talking about part of your problems sleeping at night was anxiety caused by the meds. With hubby's second knee he was on Percocet again and started to have great anxiety at night. Anxiety about wearing his cpap machine, anxiety he couldn't sleep, so we had his meds changed to Norco and the anxiety went away. Meds can do some odd things to a person. Hope you have a fabulous day!
 
@tiredwife the meds do strange things to us esp when they're combined. I am limited on what I can take because of my asthma. My GP will not take me off morphine but is supporting me now in trying to come off it. He doesn't think I'll be off it completely because of the other knee xx
 
I do hope you've had a good day. Mines not been too bad. Couple anxiety attacks, sweats the lot, thinking about the PT tomorrow morning. It is a 40 min drive to the hospital and I feel sick at the thought. My son spoke to me on the phone tonight. He's suffered very debilitating panic attacks in the past and was fantastic talking to me. Giving me hints and tips. I told him I really wanted to cancel it. He said "mom you can't. You have to get strong and you have to go to physio. Promise me you'll go please mom? You are our rock and we need you well. We want our happy go lucky, I'm here world mom back, that we know and love!" By the time he'd finished I couldn't speak. He thanked me for all I'd done for him in his darkest days and he didn't know where he or any of them would be without me around. Well if nothing else good has come out of this thing I'm going through, at least I know my family really do love me. You can't ask for better than that.

I'm going to grit my teeth and go. My appointment is 10.50. I have to go. I've a family and friends that need me. I've taken the pressure off myself about returning to work next month. I cannot compromise my health. That's it.
 
@Nana moon 27 I've had some bad panic attacks in my time. Found out that peri-menopause can add to them. It makes every thing worse!
Thanks again Alpha twin! Hey that sort of rhymes! Wow, never knew I had it in me!
Glad you had a long talk with your son.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@nanamoon. Dear ann. When I was in college I had a psych professor with whom I spoke to about anxiety and panic attacks. His advice was to say to yourself what's the worst thing that can happen. It's usually far worse in your mind than reality. His words always haunt me to this day when I get crazed. What's the worst that can happen one of the mantras I live by. That and a glass of vodka
( just kidding about the second one(
But it's what I always tell my daughter when she has a melt down over work bf or just life itself
You're our alpha warrior. You can do anything. Especially for yourself
Good luck tomorrow at your appt
Make us and yourself proud
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️susanne



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Nana moon 27, Hi Ann. I just caught up reading your thread. I am so sorry you have been having such a bad time. While meds can do wonderful things, they can also do horrible things to us until we get them regulated. I hope you went to PT today and things went well. You support so many of us on our journey and we want to be there for you too. I hope to have a restful, peaceful night. Sending hugs, Anne
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!
 
Hi @susanne
Thanks for your lovely post. I will do my best. I've managed five hours sleep tonight. That's a record for me. I also forced myself downstairs out of my bedroom today and stayed down. I had a bit of a moment yesterday afternoon thinking about today. It's just gone 5 am and I would get up and potter around the place but hubby is asleep on the sofa. So I can't. I may go down quietly and make myself a drink. I rather fancy a hot chocolate and my daughter fetched me a tub tonight of instant. Shame there is no canned squirty cream or marshmallows and grated chocolate to go on top. Now that I could seriously enjoy! I've woken up hungry again too. It has to be this medication combination. Hopefully, once I'm off the steroids it will calm down a bit. So yes, I'm going downstairs quietly once I've finished this post xxx

My appointment is in about five hours from now. I will post. The support I've had on here is fantastic. I'm a bundle of nerves about this because if this anxiety stuff I'm going through. How bizarre my best friend whatsapps me tonight to tell me she on the same medication and has been referred for counselling.

I'm psyching myself up to do this appointment. I'm sweating, jittery but I am going to do this. After my conversation with my son earlier it's kind of made me think again. I'm trying to reevaluate how I feel but I need to leave it alone. I have to grit my teeth and just go.
 
Sooo glad that you had a better sleep @ Nana Moon 27. Those panic attacks WILL stop! Your son sounds gorgeous & supportive, how lovely.
I've suffered panic attacks since I was a teenager ( can only just remember that far back..lol). They are so debilitating and make your life miserable....we all develop strategies to cope with them....but I find I need the help of medication sometimes ( I use diazepam) just to get me back on track. Mindfulness is a great tool....it stops your mind chattering once you've mastered the technique....my youngest daughter & my twin sis suffers terribly too but we try to laugh with each other about them...,she calls us the 'Fruityloopies'....my eldest daughter has never had one in her life so is a bit scathing about it....nobody knows the terror you feel unless you've been through it.
I'm sure your PT appointment will go really well....once you've done it you will feel really good about yourself having done it...
Enjoy your hot chocolate!
Will keep my eyes open to see how you get on today....the Weight of BoneSmarties will be on your journey with you! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom