Guest viewing is limited

THR Wished I'd found you before

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi. April will soon be here for you...bet you can't wait to get it over now...yes, book in for hydrotherapy...it's very comforting to do exercise in the warm water. Thanks for the Gold Star...must admit to overdoing it this weekend....a bit stiff now!!! Love Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny The one I use is called headspace. It starts from the basic and takes you through all the way.
Cheers, Steve
 
Got it @scubysteve....all downloaded and waiting for me at bedtime...thanks so much for your help...love Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks Sally @ Vetgirl....yes, it's been lovely be getting out and about but have to admit the hip and knee have been suffering since...guess it still takes time....how are you doing honey? Much love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi there @Hoppy Nanny - I have been missing in action for quite some time due to various reasons, health, work, life challenges etc.. and the list goes on! - sounds like the hydrotherapy has worked wonders for you along with the meditation. I have a fabulous meditation from Shirley Maclean which works on the body Chakras. Had it for over 20 odd years, can't buy it now, but hubby managed to convert it to a .mp3 to enable me to have it on my iPad and iPad - it has worked wonders for me over the years, but never seem to have 39 mins to spare these days. One day soon, I will have time. Hope to catch up on my emails soon ! Love, thoughts and hugs from me to you xxxxx
 
Hi @Poppet.....sorry you've been bogged down...it must be quite a juggling act for you with all what's been going on. Do hope you manage to get some free time soon? The hydrotherapy really moved things along for me...sadly finished sessions now and gone onto gym based PT for 4 weeks using stationary bike, treadmill, etc. Will try and get some more hydro sessions in again but all booked up for some time! I'm still having some knee problems and I've now got plantar faciitis in my non operated foot. Argghhhh . I'm sure all these niggly things will clear up eventually.....they keep saying it's due to pre op bad gait...here's hoping! Life really back to normal.....very hectic but in a good way...hubby enjoying retirement. I've kept him busy redecorating the downstairs WC/shower room and the kitchen .....I am so good to him.!!??? Hey...I'm now an official OAP with old age pension and bus pass...how good is that! Take care....will catch up with you soon. Lots of love from a lovely springtime UK......Chrissie xxx
 
That is amazingly coincidental Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny - one of my recent challenges is....

Plantar Fasciitis! both feet, but more so on my THR foot - so guess what I have been researching... I have been talking with a Sports specialist (he is some sort of foot engineer? ) that treats this condition, his wife (a friend of mine) actually had it and has recovered from it! She said if it becomes chronic it takes longer to get rid of, but it can be cured :)

Her husband got her to put her feet in ice foot baths - ice water with lots of ice to cover the foot and ankle. She had to build up on the time with her feet immersed but she said that it worked! So I am buying bags of ice!

I mentioned to her that I was soaking my feet in hot water each evening after work and she said told me her hubby said that is the worse treatment for this condition. I have researched it and confirmed it to be true - so ice is nice!

I also had to get new shoes because when I checked out the wear pattern, it was plain to see this was contributing to it. My new ankle boots have a very, very good built in orthotic and the cushioning under heel has helped heaps... Amazing how these new issues come to annoy....

I am walking on the treadmill at home but can only do a few minutes at a time and then my trochanter bursitis glares up.... Ugh!!

Lucky you, OAP! It doesn't kick in for women until 65 here! I will email with the other news xxxxxx
 
Oh no @Poppet....in both feet!!!!! that must be horrid as it's so difficult to walk. One foot is bad enough. I've been told to sit and roll a golf ball under my foot and to freeze a bottle with water in it and roll it under the foot. One thing that really helped was deep tissue massage on the foot...boy did it hurt at the time but helps in the long term. I had my favourite shoes heeled so they were even and I'm looking into some new ones but as Summer is on it's way going to wait for the new styles to arrive in the shops. All this getting older is sure challenging in one way or another...still it beats the alternative!! I know how lucky I am to get my pension at 62....I just came into the phasing band. A year later and it would've been 65!! Luckily I'd paid a full stamp for 30 years so got a full pension too but I feel like I'm getting something for nothing....love it!
Hoping no other problems crop up.....for us both!! Not long now Poppet......Summer and Good Things on their way!!!! Love & Hugs Chrissie xxxxx
 
Yes Chrissie, the iced water bottle provides a great massage rolling it under the foot. I also fill thermo white insulated disposable cups and do the same. The insulation means I can do it a bit longer.. Have to be careful I don't melt the water though, lol... It is getting much better for sure.. I hope yours improves, it certainly slows us down walking doesn't it? My friend said it just takes time... how many times do we say that to ourselves......
 
Where did that 6 months go??? Normal life resumed!
At the 6 month mark (or the halfway stage as I like to call it....as everyone says it takes a whole year after THR to get the full benefits!!!) everything relating to my hip is great. Still some twinges if I overdo things but nothing major.....that awful, awful pain is a distant memory!
I've had some issues with my knee ( on the THR side) which is ongoing so still doing PT.....2 more sessions to go. They have been very helpful as it's given me confidence to use stationary bike and cross trainer and to push myself harder...being a bit of a scaredy cat I was worried about doing certain exercises but they say I can do pretty much anything I want!
Walking has been the mainstay of my exercise since the op until the PF in my other foot...but that is now wearing off too. I try and walk at least 1.5 miles per day...more if my hubby gets his way. My limp is all but gone..still have to use one elbow crutch on longer walks....but think that may be more my insecurity than reality.....however, I think I'm not doing anyone any harm..so what the hell!! My body! My other hip will need doing at some stage but it is bearable at the moment.
I suppose the big question is...am I glad I did this?... Definitely!!! I did not realise how much of my life the pain had taken away from me....and the THR has given it back....!! I've not had the quickest or easiest recover.....it's been slow and sometimes frustrating with other health issues that have cropped up but it's not as hard as I thought it was going to be.
For anyone worrying about the op...don't.....it was just so easy !! Recovery.....? Slow and steady always wins over fast and furious......go ahead and get reclaim your life.
I think possibly the hardest part is the unreal anxieties that are a constant...dislocation, infection, etc.....but that us where BS is such a godsend....as with all the great stories we know that anything can be overcome.
Good luck to each and everyone coming up for surgery....I try and stay on the site and make comments ( probably inane/ mundane) but I know how much those comments have helped me...so will continue to do do. Thanks again BS...couldn't have done it without you! Chrissie x x x
 
I love this update Chrissie. I am so glad that things are moving forward nicely for you and that there is no doubt you made the right decision. Keep up the good work. I am almost at the six month mark on my LTHR, and 8 weeks on my RTHR. Funny thing is, the right one feels amazing, and the left one still feels a little "off". But like you said, nothing compared to the pain prior to surgery.

For Plantar's Faciitis (which I too developed about a month ago), I bought some insole's from the pharmacy, and they have done wonders. I still have some issues, but overall it is very manageable.

Keep up the good work... so glad you are doing well !!!
xoxo
 
Hi @drahdrah. How lovely to hear from you...was wondering how your 2nd hip was doing.....so glad to know that all is well...I think you were do brave to'go back for more' so soon. How weird that the first one is still a bit clunky whilst the baby one isn't. Our bodies are weird..aren't they? are you back at work yet??? I'm so glad to be retired now...loving it!! I think that PF is quite common after THR.....my doc says EVERYTHING is due to bad gait before/ after op.....glad your orthotics helped...may get some myself...I was slightly concerned they might affect my new straight up, not knock kneed, gait. So glad to hear it's OK to use them.
Everyone I see now says " my goodness you are walking so well". God knows what I looked like pre op, hanging onto my wheelchair....do keep us posted on how you are getting along...it's so nice to hear.....take care honey....love Chrissie xxx
 
Hi Chrissie,
I am going back to work on April 22nd. Not sure I will be able to manage it full time... but we shall see.
Please keep your fingers crossed for me !!! :)

"clunky"... that's exactly how it feels, I am stealing that. I'll still take clunky any day over the pain I had prior to surgery. (thank god for that).
 
Fingers ( and everything else) crossed for 22nd. Yes, mines a clunky one...but not painful....let us know how work goes but in the meantime enjoy the rest whilst you can...Chrissie xx
 
One Year Update
Happy Birthday To My New Hip.......!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Can't believe it's been a whole year since my RTHR. Nearly forgot to celebrate because it's now ' the forgotten hip'. I hardly give it a thought now...no pain, very little stiffness ( very few occasions)... Just amazing. Must say that my recovery was very slow, no rushing it for sure. But steadily everything has gotten back to normal on the hip front. For all those waiting for the op or prevaricating about having it I would say " just get it done". That awful pain in my hip is just a distant memory!

Just coming back to earth for a bit as unfortunately the knee on my operated side is still not very good....from day one since surgery it's really the only pain I had. Had physio & hydro (NHS & private) they all put it down to bad pre op gait & said I had to wait a full year...well, it's really painful now. Just been to Germany for a holiday & the pain really curtailed my enjoyment (sigh). Get one thing sorted & now.......? Going to have bite the bullet & get an X-ray done. Nooooooooooooo!!!!

To all those in pre op....those in the early stages of recovery .....those who are having problems.....I wish you all well in your different recoveries.....It's an amazing thing, this THR business.

One thing is for sure...without Bonesmart I would never have made it! A humble...but massive THANK YOU to everyone on this amazing site. You are ( in the words of the song) SIMPLY THE BEST!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom