THR Wished I'd found you before

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I saw Josephine use the word "chuffed" I thought it meant angry. I figured out later from contexts that that's not what it means. What exactly does it mean? Pleased??

Love from across the pond!
 
Hi @Butterfly.... Chuffed literally means 'very pleased'.... Or as we say ' we are dead chuffed' about something! It's sounds weird to me now I'm trying to explain the meaning! Strange old language. Hope you are feeling better after your ' roll off the bed' honey ....I'm sure it's those huge 'gluts' muscles getting angry. Since I've let go of my precautions and leaning forward mine have let me know they are around... Not pain exactly but feeling tight. Hope you get some answers so you don't feel anxious about it... Seems I've spent the last 12 weeks post op worrying about some niggly feeling or other..... And you've got both of them vying for attention ..... You are brave.... Love Chrissie xxx
 
Thanks. I've used the word chuff to describe the noise my dogs make with their mouths sometimes (Sort of flapping of jaws) when they are in the car -- it is sort of a happy noise, heard sometime when they are looking out the window and seeing something they are pleased or curious about.

I suspect it is those glutes being angry also. Feels a lot like a REALLY sore muscle or almost a charley horse in the butt when I put weight on that leg. I'm trying to very carefully work thru it. Most of the glute strengthening exercises or SI fixing exercises online and ones I've been given by docs in the past violate the heck out of my restrictions (not even sure which ones still apply, but I am still being careful). I also think my office chair seat is too soft and concave (middle seems lower than the sides), so I think I"ll try substituting a kitchen chair. Firm flat-seated chairs seem better for me now. The whole thing is a pain in the butt (HA HA HA)!

Any idea how long it takes those glutes to become happy again??

Love,
Milli
 
I've no idea at all how long they take Milli ...... I've found the best exercise is the squeezing of the flutes exercise sitting in a chair....it helps for getting up and walking easier too.... I've found chairs so difficult....I sit in a dining/carver chair and an old granny upright armchair in the sitting room which is still a bit soft...I'm looking at for a new 'stress less' chair so I can be comfortable again. Yes, chuff is a good word for the noise the dogs make....although My lovely doggies have passed on I would live another once I've fully recovered... Miss their unconditional love.... Take care... Chrissie xxxx
 
Went to opticians to have 2 year eye check and they said my long sight in right eye down by 30%..... He said he thought it was caused by the trauma of the THR.... Whaaaat!!!!!! When I asked if it would recover he said no....damage done.
Now that is certainly a new one on me!!!! What bunk! I'd be shocked if Jo thinks there is any truth at all to that statement! Wonder where that guy got his training????
 
To be honest, I wouldn't bother. He'll probably only go on the defensive anyway. I'd leave him in his little wonderland!
 
Hi Butterfly,

My glutes hurt well past three months. I do not think that it is a question of strengthening. They have been injured and may take time to heal.

Once you are not having pain, maybe in a few months, then perhaps is time to do strengthening exercises. Anything at this early stage, in my humble opinion, should be very gentle, just enough to prevent atrophy of muscle. Butt clenches always good and shouldn't hurt.

Just my opinion. But I did not do any PT beyond first 6 weeks and cancelled quite a few due to pain, and while I may not be the fittest person right now, at a year and a half I finally feel able to do strengthening exercises.

Swimming always good.

Be gentle. Major surgery, major trauma to your muscles and everything else.

Best for your recovery,

Elizak

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
@Elizak Thanks for your reply. I didn't have much pain at all in my glutes or whatever it is until a little over a week ago. Then it hit with a vengeance. Would glute pain set in that long after surgery? Of course I had abeen using a walker up until about a a week and a half before the pain set in. I really does hurt, especially when weight bearing on that leg. Mostly it isi n the SI area and radiating from that. Wouldn't mind if it was just annoying, but it REALLY hurts to bear weight. Almost as much as the bone on bone pain did and now it feels all tightened up. Dd yours hurt like that?

Thanks,

Milli
 
@Butterfly perhaps you may still need a little help with weight bearing....vis a vis one elbow crutch or a cane? I'm 13 weeks and still need an elbow crutch...it might just take the pressure off those glutes...just for a couple of weeks? Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks @Hoppy Nanny. I AM using one cane, holding it in the left hand, opposite to the painful side. Maybe I just have to calm down and accept this. Does it make sense this would happen so far out from surgery if it WAS the hip? That hip was done on October 28. But the hip itself (the real hip joint) doesn't hurt -- it is that SI area. I have always had exercise and stretches I've used to help the SI joint mess, but I can't use them not because they violate all restrictions on that hip so I'm afraid to even try them for fear I WILL screw up the hip.

Just so discouraged right now. Still glad I had the hips done, of course, but discouraged that I've got this SI issue or whatever just when I was beginning to feel really better. Still don't have my stamina back yet, though.

Thanks for your compassion.

Milli
 
@Butterfly. Milli, sorry you feel so discouraged today. But the 28 th October is only about 11 weeks for you (i think) and I had an awful week like that on my week 10....everything felt stiff and painful...Think I had overdone things and then got so uptight and panicky thinking I'd done something awful that I tightened up all of my muscles... I iced and rested ( and admit I took a couple of diazepam..) which calmed me down a bit. I'm sure, sure, sure that with time this too will fade for you...lots of hugs from me in the UK. Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Chrissie, @Hoppy Nanny - there is a fantastic book written by an OS and a water trainer. It is called 'Heal your hips' by Robert Klapper and Lynda Huey. Part of the book is discussing how to prevent having a THR, but there is also a lot of pool exercises for THR patients, with pictures and full descriptions.

Over two years ago a member from Scotland mentioned it, she was doing the exercises in the pool. I was interested, so I purchased it and down loaded it from Amazon eBooks... When we are at our other place, there is an indoor heated swimming pool. I found the exercises are fantastic, gentle, easy and progressive... Just a thought xxxx
 
@Poppet thanks so much for taking the time to post this for me....just ordered from Amazon UK...ordered it in book form so I can earmark the relevant bits....I do like pictures too...! You are a dear. Do hope work not too manic for you. It's hard to get back into after the Xmas hols!! Thanks again...so looking forward to getting back into the pool. Mind if it rains much more I will be able to swim outside my door! Cheers Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Terrific Chrissie, @Hoppy Nanny - it is a great book... Hubby and I practice the exercises whenever we can get to the pool... xxxx
 
p.s. Chrissie - I am practicing
[Bonesmart.org] Wished I'd found you before
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom