THR Wished I'd found you before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi drah drah...lovely to hear from you....it's lovely to know that others are experiencing the same...although I'd rather you didn't have pain too!,,,,
My knee sounds exactly like yours and you will see from Josephine's post that it is normal...how good is that to know......!! Have to say in the past few days the knee is getting more mobile and doesn't feel so ' hard' at the back.....the PT was a bit of a waste of time....just gave me the same exercises as
I had before......so gonna do them but take Jo' advice and concentrate on the walking.
Oh I know everyone knows someone who has miraculously recovered in the shortest time span....and I've felt like a wimp...but this site has given me the confidence to 'go with my flow' and not worry about it. Do hope you will feel the same.....looking forward to hearing more of your progress. For the first 4 weeks I progressed quite well but it has tailed off and I still have days when I am shattered for no reason ....but it seems that's normal.....thinking of you xxxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well......have had just the best few days since my op.."......the knee problem is subsiding and I have nearly abandoned the crutch indoors.....still take it out
When taking a long walk but I am so chuffed. It's so good to feel like a normal person again.....thought it would never happen. Finding myself letting go of all the restrictions without worrying....thanks to BS I'm not so paranoid!! It's so good to be able to make plans for the future..something I've not been able to do for 2 years due to that awful pain.......Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds like you are over that one month plateau and are now seeing the benefits of this surgery. Well done Chrissie! There's a whole world out there waiting for you to get on with living!
 
Sounds great Hoppy, so pleased for you - have you seen this -

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Thanks Jaycey and Poppet....had another good day visiting friends.....something I haven't done for so long because of pain. Poppet have read the articles about nutrition which are most useful, thank you. Have followed good nutritional regime pre and post op...think it helps enormously. Cheers Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hoppy Nanny , I am so glad to hear that things are continuing to improve for you. I so understand feeling like a normal person again, and finally making plans for the future. You go girl !!!
 
Thanks so much drah drah....it is a lovely feeling....hope you are doing well too honey.....love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Arrgggggggggghhhhhhhh!! Sorry for that...needed to scream out loud really but can't. Nothing to do with my recovery( or perhaps it is!)......... Was feeling very good about my new hip but the last week my mother in law has been sooo demanding that Im feeling very stressed which has brought on my asthma. Don't want to feel this selfish..but....she's been poorly now with pains in her knee and pre op my hubby and I have looked after her. The last week she has been so bad...ringing all times of the day, early mornings complaining ...I took her to the hospital last Monday, docs last weds and Friday and docs this Monday.....they can't help her only give her different pain killers until her date with consultant on 19th December. Then my daughter rang yesterday and said my lovely granddaughter has very bad cough and cold and would I look after her weds, Thursday and Friday.....of course I said yes......but really dont want to get cough/cold. Is that bad ??? now I'm feeling do under pressure about it all and then feeling selfish for thinking this way..poor hubby at work so he can't help too much. Usually I'm the first one to jump in and help everyone...not used to feeling this way...very stressed! Oh it feels better just to say it somewhere and get it off my chest ...sorry folks. Chrissie xxxxxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] Wished I'd found you before
Venting is good for the inner spirit---we all need to release our pent up negative feelings from time to time. Recovery is hard enough without other problems to deal with---so always know that you can come here and vent and be understood. You are not alone----we are all in this together.


Hope you get a good night's sleep and feel better in the morning.
 
&bottomshollow. Thanks just what I needed...you guys certainly know how to make someone feel better. It almost feels good just to say it out loud!! Would never have got over the past few weeks. Without BS. Cheers Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yup, Bottomshollow said it best (love this !!!):
[Bonesmart.org] Wished I'd found you before


You are not being selfish, just realistic. Catching a cold and being in bed for a week won't help anyone, least of all you. Your recovery should be your priority right now, and you should not feel bad or guilty about it.
 
drahdrah. Thanks for that honey....feel I need positive reinforcements from people ' in the know' at the moment. People who have not had the pre op pain and then the post op recovery 'blues' have no idea how delicate one feels during the process. Hope you having good day...back to babysitting!! Poor little Harriet has a raging temperature and a hacking cough so I'm doing my Florence Nightingale impression!! Cheers Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Chrissie, I am just beginning to recover from yet another bout of cold/flu/hacking cough thingie, so I vote for doing whatever you have to to protect yourself. Especially if there's coughing included.....these coughs seem to stick with me for a good month after the rest of whatever it is is long gone. Very draining.

Good luck!!

Sharon
 
sharonslp. Oh dear another bout of cold/ coughing sounds horrendous.....do hope you are feeling better. I really don't want to catch it...but three days with a 5 year old with that infection sounds like it's a possibility......I really must practice that NO word....trouble is I get more stressed if I say know. Really my daughter should have had more sense than to ask me...Hey ho.....take care...hope your cough subsides quickly...cheers Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hoppy Nanny, Please remember you are a very important person and you deserve to be treated gentle. Try to be good to yourself. Venting is good, its gets it out so that you can heal. Its hard sometime for people to understand how hard this surgrey and differcult to get well. Take a couple of deep breaths and remember you are doing great and you are so important. Take care and do stay warm and away from the cold. Tashia
 
tashia thank you for taking the time to comment......it felt good to be able to write it down ( as it were) on here and so nice to get positive reinforcements from lovely people like yourself. I did my babysitting stint and luckily no signs of any virus yet. Poor little Harriet still rough. Hope you too are keeping safe and warm and continuing to improve. The weather here has been wonderful, yesterday was chilly but bright and sunny. I also went out for the first time in the evening to friends and stayed over on Saturday .............another milestone for me. Lovely yo hear from you sweetheart..sending much love....Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hoppy Nanny, don't feel guilty about not wanting to catch cold, i can relate to this, when ever my resistance gets down a bit, if i come into contact with the kids when they have colds sure enough i always end up with it. You take care of yourself, hope little Harriet picks up soon too, it is awful seeing them sick .. Hugs xx
 
Tibs thank you so much...makes me feel much less selfish....me too, I catch everything especially when my immune system has been compromised by this trauma. Hope you are continuing to improve and your leg swelling less....mine still doing after too much/ not enough activity...it's a fine line in the recovery. With love and best wishes ..Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Second visit to PT was so much better than the first......this time felt really 'connected' to the physio...she actually listened and totally dismissed the LLD theory which the last physio said.....she feels it is due to the bad gait I had for 2 years prior to surgery and the fact I was leaning toward my non operated side.....she advises to walk without crutch indoors in front of a mirror so that I walk straight. Sounds like a plan!!! Also referring me to hydrotherapy which sounds just fine to me. I also asked if I could stay with her for the duration of my PT which she has agreed to. Do you know if I hadn't had the wisdom from Bonesmart I would never have had the courage to insist on seeing her....thanks guys and gals!! Feeling so much more confident with the PT now...Cheers Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well...11 weeks post op update on progress so far.....looking back I feel that I was somewhat naive in my approach to the surgery for a start....I did no research whatsoever and just went with the NHS surgeon I was allocated and had spinal/ sedation as was his requirements....I hadn't found Bonesmart then!!! However, the surgery was uneventful, the spinal/ sedation great......the recovery has been a roller coaster of improvements (no pain), so much fatigue, LLD, up and down on the old emotional front......sometimes feeling that I'd 'cracked it' then the next week feeling I'd gone forward two steps and back four. Week 10 ( last week) was awful...had to go back to resting and icing which seems to have sorted it out. Still walking with limp and using one elbow crutch for 50% of the time due to LLD. Booked in on January 16th for first hydrotherapy session to try to assist limp....hope it works because I really do not want shoe lift. I won't lie, there were some weeks when I wished I had not had the op....thought I would never get back to normal living......BUT 11 weeks on I am doing so much more than I could with that awful bone on bone pain and all the physical impositions that posed........I can go out for dinner, to the theatre, walking about a mile and a half now......so I'm now very glad to have made the decision to go ahead with the THR. My other hip will need doing in the future but I hAve none of the fear I had going into the first THR.
Much of the reason why I managed to stay somewhat sane was that I found this fabulous site......just perusing all the posts and forums, The support received and given has made ALL the difference to my recovery...just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all the fabulous, wise and caring moderators....couldn't have done it without you.
MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone at Bonesmart...I hope you all have a peaceful, pain free time...good luck for all your recoveries.
I'm off to my daughter in Kent for Christmas Day...a 2 hour journey today and staying 2 nights in an hotel.....I could not have contemplated this pre op....how good is that to be able to say in 11 short weeks? ( although at times it's seemed like forever!!!). Take care everyone. Chrissie xxx
[Bonesmart.org] Wished I'd found you before



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom