Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR will I ever reach the end of this drama?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Chris
I had a lovely day. Lots of surprises. The biggest was losing 3 1/2 pound at fat class ;)
I am I'm awful pain now though. Have taken max of pain meds and still in pain so think I better go to bed.
Night all
: :sleep: :sad:
 
Morning all.
Hoppy you're all getting back to normal not after all the Christmas and new year celebrations. I have have pain since Tuesday and don't seem to be able to shake it off.
New to get the house sorted today as all the decorations are now down so a good clear is called for. I worked 3 days last week with just 1 little boy, back to 4 under 5 year olds this week so am keeping my fingers crossed it will all go smoothly
Have a good day
:kittykiss:
 
Bulletin for Millie: if you're having pain, the house sorting can wait. Taking care of you is Job One---I know you have to go to work, that may not be a choice, but cleaning the house really is, so let it go for now and rest up for those 4 under 5 year olds this coming week.

I think it is the post-holiday syndrome, too, Millie...lots of us achy, painy and out of sorts these past few days.

Feel better!:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Sissy
Today has been a little better I think. I have managed to get most of the house jobs done but I have done them slowly. I have volunteered to do knitting for prem babies and angel babies for a local hospital so think this will keep me busy and keep me off my feet for a time each day.
How are you doing. Are you still taking all the pain meds ?
:kittykiss: :what:
 
I am still on strong pain meds and by the end of the day am in agony.
Am thinking about getting an appointment for the doc to review my leg but don't want to look like a baby.
Millie, I copied this post over to your thread as I was very concerned to read your post. Do tell me exactly what pain meds you are taking right now, how much and how often.

And I really don't think your doctor (GP??) will ever think you are a baby after all you've been through. I think you are awesome!
 
Evening Josephine
Thank you for your concern. I did speak to the physio about the pain I but she didn't seen to be bothered really.
I am taking OxyContin 20mg morning and night.
I have paracetamol and oxynorm for breakthrough pain. I seem to need at least 1dose of these each day.
Today has been a little better I think. I have been able to do thinks in my own time and keep having rests.
I really don't want to go to the hospital to see the consultant unless I have no choice. I have a big fear of hospitals now and get myself into such a state even going for a consultation.
My leg is moving fine and feels very stable. I get the worst pain if I try to bend down to pick something off the floor. This is down the back of my leg. In general my hip is just like a heavy ach really.
Thank you for caring xx
 
Evening all
Not had chance to visit for a while. Am in such a lot of pain when I finish work just have to go to bed.
How's everybody else doing ? Hope you all managing to keep warm in this cold we are having at the mo. I am trying to go out as little as possible as am so afraid of slipping over.
Hpe your all doing wel
Xx :kittykiss:
 
Well hope to get some answers today. Am in more pain now than before my hip was done. Not sure if its from my hip or knee. Just hoping I see the consultant and they have some suggestions for me :headbang:
 
Millie, I hope you get some answers and some relief. You've been through too much!
 
Hi sissy.
Thanks. Seems the implant has dropped so that's why I am in so much pain ;(
 
Hi Millie
I am so sorry to read about the problems that you are having. Are they or can they do anything for you now or does it have to stay like that? I sincerely hope that there is help for you, you have had enough pain to deal with throughout your life. Have the doctors changed your medication at all to help you cope in the meantime?

I am going to the hospital at Warwick tomorrow and hopefully will have an xray to see if the fracture has healed. I am still having quite a lot of pain and cannot tell if it is directly connected to the hip, fracture or the osteoarthritis in my spine. However, I am coping with the help of medication when I am in real trouble. Most days I manage to cope with only one dose per day at nightime. I have also now got an adjustable bed which has been a godend, as when I cannot move myself out of bed because my back is locked completely, all I have to do is press the remote to raise the head of the bed into a sitting position and after a while I am able to get out of the bed easily. I wish that I had had the bed after hip surgery, it would have been brilliant for raising my legs too. It really is too comfortable!!!!!!

I will post again tomorrow, take good care of you,

Best wishes

Chris
 
Hi Millie just wanted to drop in and send you love , luck and light from Australia . We are cheering for you here because you are an I spittoon to us all . My best prayers are with you and I have every faith that there will be a good news story for you soon xxxxxxxxx
 
Thanks for your support.
Hope you get on ok tomorrow Chris. My daughter is now working at Warwick as a staff nurse. Lets hope it's all healed at last.
Thanks star girl for your prayers. I am hoping it will all come out well in the end. Am afraid I can't see an end to it at the moment. I have been in pain for over a year with this hip now and at the moment it's worse than befor the revision.
I could see how much it had slipped on the x-ray. It was about 2cm they reckoned.
The consultant was lovely. He is not the same as did my revision. Unfortunately he has gone teach in India for a year so I have had to have a new chap. He was very kind and listened to what I told him. Basically he said there was 2 choices. 1 was he could remove the implant straight away and replace it with another new 1. 2 we could wait and see what happens. It may settle and fix itself or it may get worse and move even more.
After going through such a long surgery and all the problems and phobias I have I have decided on the 2nd option. I don't feel I could go through it all again so soon.
He said I can do anything that eases the pain but not too much excersises or walking. I am not to go to anymore physio sessions.
So will just wait and see.
I thought by now I would be back on my feet and getting back to some of life but can't see it happening any time soon :tantrum: :tantrum:
 
Hi Millie,

I don't blame you for taking the second option, I am sure that I would do the same. I can only imagine what you are feeling now and any words from me can not make you feel any better, but be sure of one thing, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope that the implant will not move any further and will settle down of it's own accord, miracles can happen!! and I think it is time that a miracle was ordered for you.

Hope you have a less painful day tomorrow.

Best wishes

Chris
 
Hi Millie and all of you who've been supporting her,
I'm from USA and just happened to start reading your story. I was taken by it and couldn't stop reading. I'm so sorry you're having a problem with the implant! You sound to be such a hard-working, salt of the earth type of person who has been through so much, it's a shame you have to endure more. Keep your hopes up, things will turn out ok for you in the end, I know. You're so brave and strong, and determined, I can feel it will work out. Good luck and keep writing, I'm cheering you on! Sending my best wishes your way. :yay:
 
Oh, Millie, you have had such rotten luck, I don't know what to say. You've been so patient and mature about all this, and now you're even willing to wait and see longer. How much time did he suggest you give it? I'm not sure exactly what it means that the implant has "dropped." Josephine ?
 
I am taking OxyContin 20mg morning and night. I have paracetamol and oxynorm for breakthrough pain. I seem to need at least 1dose of these each day.
I think either that's not enough or it's just not working for you and you need something different. Does the pill box say how many times a day you can use the oxynorm? I would imagine it says more than once a day - usually it's 4 times a day. In which case you should take it four times a day. Being under-medicated is one of the primary reasons for pain in recovery in my opinion. Are you afraid to take it more often?

Otherwise, I suggest you ask your GP for something different like Tramadol which is taken with paracetamol. It's a very good non-narcotic pain killer and very widely used for joint replacement.
Seems the implant has dropped so that's why I am in so much pain
What does this mean exactly? Which implant - the cup or the stem? And who told you this?
 
Dear Millie

Like ByGosh, I have just read your story. You have been dealt a pretty lousy hand, and the wonder is that you remain so strong and positive. Those are the qualities which will get you through this latest setback.

I have all the medical knowledge of a reasonably intelligent 8-year-old, so will be interested to hear Jo's evaluation of the situation. Perhaps it is good that you have a new consultant on the job? And you say you liked him, and that he listened. Good start!

I also have just had a revision, after an infection appeared - from where? - 18 months after my surgery. I seem to be doing pretty much OK at present, but I worry about something else going wrong.

Why does everyone assume that hip surgery is so easy? I remember that when I had my first surgery - after an accident - I lay in the hospital thinking "Well, I've had an accident. I've had an operation. And now I'll get better." Can you believe how naive I was!

All the best.

Glynis
 
"Well, I've had an accident. I've had an operation. And now I'll get better." Can you believe how naive I was!

glynis, you were not naive. Ordinarily you would have gotten better. But unfortunately, you were numbered with the 1 to 4 percent who develop problems of one kind or another after surgery. It's tough, it's unfair, and it makes you unhappy and causes you to worry more than you should. But so far things are going well---try working from the position that they will continue to go well and this time you WILL get better.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] will I ever reach the end of this drama?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom