Guest viewing is limited

TKR Why did I wait?

I have also been able to watch someone walk and know whether they have knee problems or not! This is a first. This surgery definitely makes you more aware of others' knee problems!
 
@MSgirl - WhatABurger!!! Miss them so much. Whenever I'm in Tucson I would hit them up in the morning for Biscuits and Gravy before going to work. My (now) 16 year old grandson loves their pancakes so we would have a little grandma/grandson time. And when I would drive from RI to AZ I knew where everyone of them was on my route, first one I would come to is in Texarkana. :roseshwr:
 
I love the Walmart grocery pickup. I’ve never had a Whataburger, but it sounds wonderful. Finding out that I have celiac disease has made this recovery a challenge, for me and my husband. He doesn’t know what to cook and picking up takeout is almost impossible. I’m starting to cook some, so it’s getting better. I can’t tell from your signature, which knee did you have done this time? Last summer with my left knee I was driving by 4 weeks, or earlier, but this right knee feels like a knife is stabbing me when I push the brake pedal. I REALLY want to drive!!
 
Jan, this one was my left so braking is a lot easier. Putting your car in park at red lights really helps on your new right knee. Interestingly, getting into and out of the car is not as easy this time with my new left knee. Must be because I'm not as strong when I plant that leg. I've figured out that if I move the seat all the way back, it makes it a little easier to get in. Just a process, I guess. And yes, Whataburgers are great. They taste, to me, like home-cooked burgers. But definitely not dietetic.
 
I’m finding that getting in and out of the car is easier with the right than it was with the left too. Just driving is still painful, I may try putting the car in park, or I guess I could use my left foot for the brake. Can you tell I’m getting desperate :bawl:We have a restaurant called Cookout here that has hamburgers that are like home cooked, not diet either, oh and they have about 30 different flavors of milkshakes too!
 
I had my left knee done, and I get in and out if the car fairly well on the passenger side but struggle on the driver side. I guess the steering wheel gets in the way more than one would think, even though I move the seat all the way back.

I still have trouble getting a comfortable angle for my left leg when I’m driving, though. :gaah:
 
It seems like driving is just a dream right now. Going so stir crazy and just want to be able to run to store to pick up a few things
 
Good news for me today, sort of. Second PT. I was still hurting a lot and walking stiff-legged. The head of the facility came to work on me. I explained where the pain was and he put me through some tests. It turns out the problem is not my knee at all. Last Wednesday after my home PT left, I did something I have always done in the past. I leaned forward and put my hands on the floor. It always has felt good and stretches out my hamstrings. Well - mistake this time. Apparently I stretched my hamstrings way more than they were ready. Hence, my pain and limping. The knee itself has really not been that sore. Just the back of the leg. So, he said, no more putting my hands flat on the floor for awhile and to take it easy. I stopped and bought Motrin on the way home and what a relief it was! The pain almost disappeared!!! We even went out for a Valentine dinner tonight. First time in makeup in a month. It is a relief to know that the problem is not with the new joint. Just the stupidity of the new joint's owner...
 
Just the stupidity of the new joint's owner...

Not stupid, @MSgirl - just a little incautious. Please don't beat yourself up. You've got enough going on as it is. If the stretching worked for you in the past, no wonder you thought to try it again. Now you know, and it will heal. It will take a little time, and, as we say, time takes time. :)
 
Oh, I learned that lesson the hard way! Without kneecaps, I can't squat. After my tkr, the grass and weeds were going crazy coming up between the bricks on my patio. So, at about 3 weeks out, I went out there and pulled for only about 15 minutes. Well, I suffered for days after that! I let that green stuff go for at least another month! Bending from the waist definitely pulls on the back of the knees!
 
Ouch! I bet that was quite a stretch. At least you know now what not to do, and you can recover with a few days of rest.
 
So I'm not alone in this? Thanks so much for sharing your situation. We had a freeze along the Gulf Coast a couple of weeks ago - kind of unusual. Now I have a bunch of dead-looking plants outside that need cutting back but they are just going to have to look bad. I wish I could find someone to do it for me and may try today. If I can't, oh well.

I appreciate your sharing.
 
I wish I could find someone to do it for me
I asked around, even went to Angie's List to try and find help for my yard. No good. The neighbor kids don't even do their own yards and the businesses online do only big jobs. I earned extra money cutting grass when I was a kid. You can't find that this day in time, unfortunately. You'll just have to wait to do your pruning in another month or so. Then your knee will react better after it.
 
I find that since surgery I notice what other people are able to do with their knees, too! I never paid much attention to it before.
So true--I watched enviously pre-tkr too!
 
@kneeper My previous house was a 2 story. One day as I was going up stairs, at a slower pace than I used to, my cat easily ran up and passed me. “Show off!” I said to her! :rotfl:
 
Okay, it's day 16. I am getting so tired of being "good". Icing, elevating, exercising and sleeping. Period. Oh, and eating. Not exactly the stuff of stimulating conversation. I am not having company, thank goodness, because I'd be a total bore. I think when this one is healed, I may never watch daytime television again! We are eating well due to all the food I froze ahead of time. My sweet husband heats everything up and has been great but may be getting a little tired of every conversation being about my knee.

After reading the above, I think I must have hit the doldrums. Maybe being aware of it, I can change up my game a little. Netflix is just sitting here waiting so I'll have to try it tomorrow. Home PT comes and at least I'll have someone to talk to. That does sound crazy. I've told my friends that I just need some time without company and now I'm looking forward to seeing my PT? Nuts.

Otherwise, the KNEE seems to be doing well. Still aches but not horribly. I'm off pain meds and using just Tylenol. Still sleeping on the recliner with my trusty lounge doctor keeping the knees happy. Recumbent bike is easier each day. I think I got forward rotations quicker this time.

Sorry about the whining. I have nothing to complain about. Hope all the other January Jackpots are doing well and finding out about living on the other side. Daylight savings time arrives in a few weeks!

I didn’t want guests either @MSgirl. Just wanted to be able nap or stay in pjs. I am usually social and will get back to that! Right now it’s all about me.
 
Five weeks today. Time is flying by. Here's an update of my progress so far:
~Sunday I couldn't stand it so got my lopers and cut back some of our frozen foliage. The cuttings are still on the ground but the plants look better. We won't know if the palm trees have survived the freeze till later.
~Today I had a haircut appt. and noticed that it was easier getting in and out of the car. I was tired when I got home so have been icing and elevating all afternoon.
~I'm still sleeping on my back and probably will be for a few more months. I'm used to it now after last year but it does terrible things to the back of my hair!
~Currently, I'm trying to make myself aware of how I am walking. If I pay attention, I can walk heel-toe, maybe not super fast but okay. If I don't pay attention, I tend to limp and/or walk a little stiff-legged. I'm also trying to remember to stand up straight. Lots to remember and I don't always.
~I still have swelling and although it looks better, my incision is still pink. #1 was stapled and turned out really well. I hope this one will too.
~Have been off pain medicine for a couple of weeks, just taking Tylenol for pain and Motrin for my hamstring.
~Not doing a lot of work around the house although I did do five loads of laundry Saturday. My husband has taken over most duties in the kitchen and neither of us are neat freaks so a little dirt doesn't bother us.
~Outpatient PT continues three times/week. I'm going to go until I have my post-op on March 2nd and will see what he says. I walked down our street the other day (probably only a couple of blocks each way) for the first time but don't think I'm ready to do any distance right now. Will work on going a little further each time. I ride my recumbent bike daily.

Kind of boring report, I guess. I hope all are well and progressing. We will all make it to the end!
 
That’s not a boring report at all, it sounds great!

I know what you mean about back sleeping and hair!

I also have neck issues, so when I sleep on my back I take a small pillow and put it under the left edge of my pillow to prop the pillow up so that my neck and head stay up straighter and not tilt to the side. That does an extra number on my hair, especially since I cut my hair really short last week! But my neck is happy.

My husband and I are not neat freaks either, so no biggie if I don’t clean up right away. This morning I told him that the elves did not show up again to help!
 
@Jockette, I love it! Until I cut my hair short and got new knees, I had never had a rooster-tail behind my head. Now, with the back-sleeping, I have one almost every day. Oh, well... If your elves do come, send them my way when you are done with them.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom