Hello, everyone, or as we say down here, hi y'all. Today marks three months since knee #2 was done. My boring recovery continues. I am still going to PT three times/week. I think I'll go for another three weeks. My ROM is 140/0 but my quad is not where I want it to be so we are continuing to work on it. I am seeing improvement recently so therapy is helping. It's fun and all of us have a good time. I am still doing what I call my walking program and after PT today, I walked three miles. Not great to some but I think you all will know that for me, it's huge.
My big news is that I started to garden again!!! That is my love, and I have not been able to do it for several years. Admittedly, I'm not down on my knees but bend from my waist. I was born flexible so that's not a big deal. But I have been cleaning out beds, spraying Roundup and cutting back our Sago palms that got burned in the late cold snap. I've made two trips to Lowe's for plants and am planning to redo the bed in front of the house. Joy! I really thought that I would never be able to garden again. Paying someone just isn't the same as getting my hands in the dirt. I am energized just thinking and planning what I'll do outside.
A friend of mine has a personal trainer who I think I'm going to call later this summer. Next month I'll be 70 (how did that happen?) and now that I have pretty good knees, I want to try to work on some upper body strength. I'll never be 40 again but would like to be as good a 70 as I can be. I feel so good and want to try to maintain and improve what I have.
And - I'm thinking it's time we got another dog. We had to have our dachshund put down two years ago when his back legs went out and this is the longest we have been without a dog. I found out about a lady in Alabama who breeds Schnoodles, a combination of schnauzer and poodle. Since we have had one of each and loved them both, I think we would love one. Now, I just have to convince my husband and that may be hard! Maybe if I tell him how much it will help my rehab to walk a dog...
Knee #2 isn't perfect. I still sometimes have pain in the night that subsides after I walk around, I swell a little now and then, my scar darkens as the day goes on and every now and then, #2 is warm. That numb spot is still there but no biggie. So - when I sit, my legs are always up on my Lounge Doctor (thank you, Bonesmart, for telling me about it!). I can go up stairs fine but coming down is more challenging. But that is improving. I have chosen to just ignore these issues. Based on knee #1 that is now 15 months old, it will just take more time. #1 has no problems and hopefully #2 will be the same. The knees are so much better than I could have imagined so a few aches and pains don't seem to be a big deal. No one ever told me I would have the knees of a 20 year-old, and I'm happy with what I have. If I never get any better, this is good enough.
I've been keeping up with all of you through your highs and lows and sincerely hope that brighter days are ahead for everyone. If any newbies are reading this, please know that a good, pain-free life is in your future. It may take time but as they say, it will all be worth it. Take care of yourselves. Spring has sprung (except for you folks up north. I am so sorry about the snow that just won't stop coming) and longer days just make us happier.
Blessings, Ann