TKR Why did I wait?

Day 3:
To use an old Georgia expression, today I felt like I "got whopped upside my head"! Set my phone alarm before bed. I took one dose of meds in the night but missed the next dose. By the next dose time, I was really hurting. Then, after that dose, I iced and elevated and napped through what should have been the next dose! Then wasn't sure if I had taken it or not so had my husband count out my pills and found out I hadn't. Lesson learned. It is IMPORTANT to take meds on time. I am now writing down the times I medicate.

Home health/PT came. Did a few quad sets and ankle flexes. No pain. I had her check the pain medicine ball that is still in but she couldn't make it work either. Too bad because it was a huge help for the 1st. She will take it out tomorrow. The CPM machine was delivered. They couldn't come last night due to icy roads.

So I think I'm in love with my lounge doctor. It is my new best friend. I can even practice quad sets while on it and have been doing some gentle slight knee bends.

Off to bed...
 
@Celle, could you change my my thread title to Moving on Down the Road with two Good Knees. Thanks so much. I hope it's a great day for you. Thank you for all you do for everyone.
 
I've changed your thread title for you. :flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like you are definitely moving on down that road @MSgirl, and I'm so pleased to hear that you are.

I'm getting the message loud and clear from everyone about staying on top of the meds, but I'm a reluctant pill popper at the best of times, so I will probably end up learning the hard way :eeeuw:.

I had an ACL replacement 20 or so years ago that I remember being pretty painful for a few days, but I expect that will pale into insignificance compared to this! I will learn fast, no doubt.

Keep well, stay positive and take care. All the best.
 
Day 4:
All and all, not a bad day. Better than Day 4 after the first one. Yesterday, the home health/PT person tried to adjust the pain ball put in at surgery but it didn't seem to work. Wonder of wonders, it started to work during the night! I woke up at 1:30am and 5:30am to take meds (I'm trying to stay on schedule with phone alarm!) and really didn't have a lot of pain. Today has been a relatively good day. Maybe because I'm following the rules - staying in my chair, elevated and icing. The home health nurse came back today to change my dressing and I got my first look at the incision. Subcu stitches and glued together on top. It looks pretty good. Moderate swelling. She put me on the bike for a little back and forth and checked the CPM machine. Still have log leg so am helping it get into bed- no big deal. Things will change when the pain ball is empty so I'll enjoy this almost pain-free day. It should end tomorrow.
 
@robhunt3, you have another chance coming up! Sometimes I really am a slow learner. You will be so glad if you take your meds as prescribed. My phone has a way to set an alarm - didn't even know it was there till someone on here mentioned it. Maybe that would help you remember. This is not the time to try to tough it out.
 
A little gentle PT, a lot of resting, elevating, and icing. So are the days of a TKR in early recovery. :ok:
 
Glad you are staying ahead of the pain. #2 in my near future and last week my dr mentioned a pain ball/pump he uses now. He said it lasts 4-5 days and sounds similar to yours. Nice to read it is helping you. Wishing you a very easy recovery.
 
I‘m so glad things are going well. I‘m following your progress!
 
My DH had rotator cuff surgery a little over a year ago and he was sent home with the pain ball/pump. It lasted about 5 days and when it quit working the pain medicine easily controlled the pain. He wondered why they don’t use it for TKR, I told him it sounds like your doctor used one for you. I wish my doctor had.
 
The pain pump sound wonderful! If all OSs used it after surgery there would be much less need for the hard meds. I pray this is a thing for the future. Doctors not prescribing enough pain meds because of the fear of retribution just isn't right. This surgery needs really good pain control! I'm so glad you got the ball working again!
 
It's hard to believe I've been home from the hospital for a week following my second TKR. I'm doing a better job remembering my pain meds and basically, elevating and icing all day except for a few walks around the house. Getting downright bored!

I had my PT visit today with a really nice young man. I explained that I, not he, had done too much on Monday so would need to back it down today. He listened and said pain would not help my recovery. He also told me how important it is to ice. How nice that he agrees with Bonesmart. I did five heel slides and five leg lifts with him helping my leg move. Then he had me walk and pointed out a problem with my gait. We walked some more so I could practice placing my foot correctly. It was a good visit and I could not be more pleased.

This second one does seem a little easier. Maybe because I knew what to expect. I do have a technicolor leg this time! Purple, red, yellow and green bruises! The incision is healing nicely and I can't wait till it's done to compare it to the other.

Oh - I have an accompaniment for Miralax. Kale salad. Folks, it works.

Now - I need a prescription for boredom!
 
Great PT report. Sounds like they are really being helpful and not just pushing you to exercise. Nice to hear about kale, sounds a lot more tasty than milk of magnesia :heehee: My car ride yesterday was tiring and my knee had some additional swelling, but it was worth it for a change of scenery.
 
Sleep, glorious sleep! As after my first TKR, sleep has been very elusive and not much fun. I tried elevating on pillows, my lounge doctor, etc., plus asking my snoring husband to turn over. Finally, last night I decided to try the recliner. Oh, my! I extended the footrest and put my lounge dr on top of it. The back of my knee was so supported and felt no pain. I fell asleep quickly and didn't wake up for 5 hours. The difference that made in my day today is amazing. I really do feel like I have moved a week ahead, just from having good rest. I'm still in the laying-around stage, icing and elevating but my whole outlook changed today with that 5 hours.
 
How are you MSgirl!??? Been thinking about you as we are on the same surgical day! Glad to see you got some sleep...I like you am still lounging around mostly, pain is doing OK. I do Tylenol during the day and hydrocodone because I find waking up at 11 needing a stronger pain med. not too bad, I guess? Keep us posted
 
Good sleep makes a world of difference in how one feels! I'm so glad you have figured out how to get yours!
 
@amymj, isn't it amazing how much our bodies can change in two weeks? I guess I really can't complain. Today at home PT, he measured me at 118 ROM and I did several complete rotations on my bike. Did get a little sore after that. This knee seems to be easier - probably because I knew what to expect. I expected to have pain and be a little weak and just be tired. I continue my love affair with my lounge dr. and gel packs. I wish I had had this pillow for my first knee. I'll keep sleeping in my recliner till I can get more comfortable in bed. Like you, I am dropping down on the Percoset. 1000mg. of Tylenol seem to do about as well. I take a Percoset when I need to but definitely not as many as the first week. Right now my only problem is that I'm getting bored and crabby! I don't really want to go anywhere but I'm sick of staying home. Too bad for me. I'll try to be good for a little longer! Maybe some therapeutic chocolate would help...

Now catch me up on how you are feeling. Are you bored to death also?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom