Today it has been six weeks since my surgery. In some ways, I'm embarrassed to give my report but decided that perhaps it might be encouraging to others. I'm hoping by posting this it might give hope to those still on the path to recovery.
I don't know why some of us get lucky and some don't. I'm one of the lucky ones with my knees, just the luck of the draw. It was the luck of the draw when I had cancer - no reason to get it, just unlucky, and I'm still here. Before knee #1, I really didn't know what to expect in the way of an outcome. I had not found Bonesmart so did not know about all the issues that could possibly happen. I was fairly upbeat (most likely influenced by my cancer experience). And I'm lucky to have moved four years ago to a town that has a very experienced orthopedist who has done thousands of knees.
I went to PT and walked a lot as soon as I could. Had all the usual aches and pains, poor sleep, etc. But the surgery worked. It wasn't perfect. I would still have soreness now and then and have to sleep on my back sometimes, etc., even at 10 months post-op. Those things really didn't bother me. I didn't expect perfection. I felt so much better and compared to before surgery, in a lot better place. I was able to exercise for the first time in maybe 15 years. And wonder of wonders, I felt younger than my then 68 years! In fact, I tell people that I only look old on the outside. Inside, I'm still rocking to Motown and can embarrass my 44 year-old son! I ended up with 145 flexion and 0 extension. It probably didn't hurt that I have always been extremely limber.
When it came time for #2, I just wasn't worried. My dr. said my outcome might not be as good as #1 and I told him to just wait and see. That obnoxious positivity coming out again. Knowing what to expect has made it so much easier this time. During the three months before surgery, I started to tighten my quad every time I sat down and that seems to have made a difference. I didn't even know what a quad was for #1.
For #2, I was able to get off narcotics at around two and a half weeks. The Tylenol dose recommended on Bonesmart has worked wonderfully. I started driving at three weeks and have been doing outpatient PT since then. Again, things aren't perfect. Still icing, elevating for hours a day and napping daily, much more than #1, because I read about it on Bonesmart and found it to be really helpful. Still sleeping on my back, knee pain in the day and night, swelling and if I don't pay attention, I catch myself limping. But if I do pay attention, my gait is good and my strides are getting longer. I still don't like to stand a long time on our stone floors and sitting with my legs down for a long time isn't pleasant. But I'm getting there. Yesterday at PT, I asked my therapist to measure me. I'm at 134 flexion and 0 extension. Who knows why? I have my first post-op Friday and look forward to seeing my dr.
I'm not ready to start back to my walking program yet because I still hurt - part of which was caused by a stupid thing I did and pulled my hamstring. Ouch. I'm kind of proud of it, though, because my PT said I could call it an athletic injury. I've never had one! The muscles and skin on my legs look gross and I've gained weight since I had to quit exercising back in October. Hopefully I'll be back to the program in another month.
So - folks, just know that you WILL get there. We all take different paths and are luckier in some ways more than others. Our knees weren't the same when we started due to medical history, arthritis, age or whatever. You have no idea how much I admire the way how those of you having difficulties are handling them with so much grace and upbeat spirit. I'm not sure I could do it.
I'm sorry about the length of this epistle. If you've read all the way to the end, you have a lot of perseverance. Take care of yourselves and please know that in the end, you will feel better. Life will be brighter. Thank you for all the help you have been to me and for inspiring me to appreciate my life more. And thank you, Bonesmart, for all the work you do daily to make this trip easier for all of us. You are the best!