THR When is it time to have the other hip done<

Hi @Belladonna, I just read through your thread. What a shame that they had you doing that ridiculous PT. It sounds so abusive and wrong. No wonder you are crying. I cried very easily when I needed my hips replaced, and so did my grandma. I think it's a symptom when you have sever OA. You have been through the wringer.

I have a feeling if you stop the PT, and do the surgery, that you will get better. The icing really helps, too. I did a lot of deep breathing to deal with my terror, panic, and worry. I would inhale in golden light, and exhale out fear. I'm hoping that everything will work out for you and that you will be pain free.

So glad that you have an excellent surgeon now. That makes all the difference. I hope they find the right pain meds for you. The calmer you are, the less pain you feel. The more upset you are, the more sensitive the body becomes. The Bonesmart mantras really work. I am saying prayers for your healing.

@Jaycey Joe told me we had similar experiences. My first surgery was a nightmare. 9 months later and still have pain and many health issues.

Very depressed and cry a lot. I want my life back!!! Second surgery looming for over me in 2 weeks. I am a crying mess convinced this one will kill me.

Thinking of to put it off! What are your thoughts?

@Belladonna only you know if you're ready to undertake this second surgery, persistent pain can make you feel overwhelmed. Why not speak to OS and tell him your concerns and get his input. He wants this thr to be successful as much as you do.

If you have other health issues to address he may prefer to reschedule. This would buy you some time to take a time out and get those issues resolved so you can feel good about getting the second thr. A few weeks or a couple of months won't make much difference in the scheme of things. You're ready when you're ready.

i am a crying mess convinced this one will kill me. thinking of to put it off! What are your thoughts?
No the surgery will not kill you. What it will do is give you your life back. EVERY THR is different even on the same person. And it does sound like you have a surgeon with a good attitude.

Stop all this exercise. Get that stomach issue under control and discuss what pain medication you can take - especially post op with your surgeon or family doctor. And don't cancel your surgery. Getting it done before you develop mobility issues means a shorter recovery.

Poor Belladonna. Such a dilemma. I want you to have it so it will be done, but your body's seemed susceptibility to these infections really concerns me. Maybe Nurse Josephine has thoughts????

Dear Belladonna,
I haven't read your entire thread but have you considered sitting down for a consultation with a good nutritionist in the midst of all this? Pharmaceuticals, while necessary at times, can wreak havoc on the gut where approx. 70% of our immune system lies. Many are also toxic to our liver. I'm certainly not saying to not take any drugs right now as I am myself, begrudgingly. However, at the very least please look into taking other precautions such as a good pro-biotic to start with. I'm sure a knowledgable nutritionist can work in sync with your doctor in helping you de-tox a bit, heal your stomach also working on your stress and mood through natural supplements and diet. I have faith you can get through this with a favorable outcome. Don't give up hope, you have options, try not to lose sight of that. And there are people who care here. Many to offer kind, gentle, encouraging words and prayer to help you along the way!

Belladonna.
As Josephine outlined earlier if you are taking and NSAIDs then either stop taking them or get a stomach protector from your doctor.
And Please Please just totally quit any PT at all between now and your "proposed" surgery.
Let me tell you a story.
Before my hip replacements I would Cry at the drop of a hat (not easy for a Big Irishman to admit).
The pain in my groins, my back and In my SI joint area was none too pleasant to say the least.
I couldn't exercise any more.
I felt washed up at 50.
I know now I was depressed.
Then I got both hips replaced (your only half way there).
Unlike some I had a long and sometimes challenging recovery.
The Hip pain is gone.
The SI pain is gone.
The back pain is significantly reduced to the extent that some days its also gone.
Am I 100% better? No.
But I'm 100% better than I was.
The thing that has changed the most is my mood. I'm me again.
I firmly believe Belladonna that you need this surgery to get on the road you need to be on. Take the leap of faith B and I'll tag along for the Journey.
Joe.....

Irish Joe - if this was Facebook I would have liked your post. Good words of encouragement!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Oh but you can like it.
I've just done it with your post.
See the little coloured thingys at the bottom of the post. Just click or tap on the thumbs up.
Thanks anyway.
Joe.....

Good morning everyone. I love the kind support you all give me. Some of you have had easy recoveries and some of you had challenging ones. I do not want to sound like a big baby because I am not.

So full disclosure.
Prior to surgery they thought I had back problems but found out it was my hips. Was sent to an orthopedic surgeon in August and he scheduled my surgery for November 8. By the first part of October I was in so much pain I had to crawl up the stairs. When I called this Dr he never returned my call and his nurse kept saying only one more month!!!! So they sent me to a pain management Dr who did not know me and gave me 130 vicatin on the first visit. I got home took one and threw up with horrible abdominal pain that put me in the hospital.

Then started the barrage of pain killers, muscle relaxants etc. I have over 30 pill bottles. One weekend I threw up so much and could not eat or drink anything. I went to my family Dr and he literally said you look like hell and had his nurse wheel me to the hospital admission area. They did a stomach scope and found multiple lesions in my stomach and was ordered never to take another inflammatory or I would risk perforation of the stomach lining.

It is hard to recover from hip surgery without an anti inflammatory because there is so much inflammation. So that afternoon an orthopedic surgeon from a very small town came in to see me and offered to put me out of pain and do my surgery the following week. I did not have a choice of surgeon because I wanted the pain to end. Then the nightmare began.

I had 4 bladder infections one of which was accompanied by bleeding and I had to be hospitalized for. They tried several pain killers because they all made me throw up. Finally just settled on the Percoset. I had horrible side affects and it took me 3 months to wean off of them. My doctor had me quit cold turkey after 6 weeks. I got so violently ill my husband had to hold me up to get me to the car and back to my second home, the ER.

The rest of my health issues look like this. Severe SI joint pain with 3 cortisone injections. Inflammation in the bursa in my hip with another cortisone shot, arthritis in my lower back and used topical prescription pain medication with a narcotic compound which raised my blood pressure to 165/93. One morning I woke up with vertigo, another with shoulder pain from trying to pull my body in and out of bed, another cortisone injection.

Then came fluid on the hip and had to go to an OT for lymphodema therapy. I had to wear tight compression leggings to squeeze out the fluid build up. Horrible abdominal cramping, and stomach inflammation. While I was on the Percoset all I could stomach was yoghurt and I know you can't recover on poor nutrition.

So that's most of my 9 month journey. I'm sure I missed some. Of course there is crying all the time and sometimes for no reason which brought in psychiatrist for anti-anxiety meds and psychologists to keep me off the edge. So if I am nervous about another surgery and not trusting anyone with my body that's why. One ER visit the Dr did a pregnancy test!!!! I'm 60!

I decided to go to a naturopath and help my body and mind to heal and I rescheduled my surgery to January with the option that if I get into severe pain he will add me to his surgery schedule asap. And through it all I shaved my legs!!!!

@Belladonna
Wow I was feeling sorry for myself for my queasy tum-tum reaction to Percoset, which lasted less than a week, but I never will again!

I am so sorry you are going through this terrible ordeal, and hope the work you are doing with the naturopath
is helpful. Healing thoughts to you.

Wow, It's hard to come up with words. You've suffered a lot! I think you may be on the right track in seeing a naturopath as you mentioned and possibly a good nutritionist. It sounds as though your body is rebelling against the pharmaceuticals and over the counter meds. Possibly some internal healing first will be beneficial before moving forward. That may ease your emotional distress also as you begin to feel better physically.
Prayers going up, Belladonna....

That's a really hard journey your on and I feel for you very much.
Please don't think that we (I) am talking down to you or ordering you about.
Of course Its your choice when you have your replacement and if you don't think you are ready psychologically or otherwise then you know what to do.
I will say fair play to you in that you are seeing the correct professionals for each of your many issues so lets hope that there is some relief physically and mentally on the horizon.
There are quite a few people who have been on the forum who have had difficult recoveries from one replacement and went on to have easy recovery with the next @dougie0216 is one I think and he is still posting and doing well.
I hope you find some resolutions.
Stay with us here for a while B.
Joe......

@Belladonna @Irish Joe Absolutely. After LTHR, it felt like Dr Frankenstein attached a cadaver's leg to my body. My pain was a 7 or 8 for the first two weeks. I had terrible and debilitating leg cramps in my hamstring. I was still experiencing discomfort out to 18-20 months.

After RTHR, I had more sensation, control and flexibility in my right leg when I woke up in recovery than I did at one month with the other hip.

I could have walked out of the hospital but they made me take the wheelchair.

I empathize with all the problems you are experiencing.

All surgeries turn out differently. I had the same surgeon, at the same hospital and my outcomes couldn't have been more different.

When I walked across the room to shake my surgeon's hand 40-hours after surgery, he told me I was one of the lucky ones. After the first surgery I was just fine with being 'lucky.'

Who knows? Your next surgery could turn out well, too!

Aw I don't feel so alone! What makes me crazy is when people say, "Oh my God my 90 year old grandmother walked out of the hospital and never took one pain killer". Or "9 months! You had a botched surgery!" Then there is, "I bet you have an infection". Or "it's probably scar tissue and it will never break up and your walking will be impaired forever".

My favorite is "maybe you're allergic to titanium and they will have to use another compound"!!!! All these comments send me into a crying episode and severe depression!

No the surgery will not kill you. What it will do is give you your life back. EVERY THR is different even on the same person. And it does sound like you have a surgeon with a good attitude.

Stop all this exercise. Get that stomach issue under control and discuss what pain medication you can take - especially post op with your surgeon or family doctor. And don't cancel your surgery. Getting it done before you develop mobility issues means a shorter recovery.
You say this like its easy. Or giving me a slap on the back saying get it together girl. It is not that easy for me, all of my pain has caused serious depression for me where i have been put on medication. My experience has been traumatic. Its like when people who have never experienced depression say snap out if it. You dont SNAP out of deoression. Its a dark hole you have to climb out . This year my son got married and my daughter graduated and i was covered in salon pas patches and smelled like Ben Gay when I normally wear Calvin Klein.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Belladonna.
I know how easy it is to be annoyed by what people advise or say when your mood is low.
I'm sure @Jaycey meant nothing but the best for you.
Do you think you'll go ahead on Jul 25th with your replacement.
Try to keep those spirits up if you can.
Joe......

Understand your trust issues. But what are your choices? That's what it comes down to.
I don't know all the specifics about all opiods or narcotics but I've never done medicine well... Not oxycodone, not oxycodone, Percocet, whatever... Nausea, general yucky feeling and brought on more depression...I hadn't slept in two and half years over 15 min at a stretch and in constant pain.
After surgery my surgeon have me Dilaudid. Minimum nausea... To none , as it might have been more the anesthesia.
Got rid of intense pain with little to no foggy... Weaned off no problem... Still take some when overdo.
When you are ready we will cheer you on. :curtsey:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Belladonna Don't believe the stories about 90 year olds or people going back to work the next week after hip replacement. Maybe if they worked on a computer from home...

My wife is very intolerant of opiates, think projectile.

Have you tried tramadol as a substitute for opioids?

Also, you can receive toradol (NSAID) by injection so that would bypass your stomach.

I hate hydrocodone, so I quit using it asap and switched to tramadol. Tramadol is not without risks, long-term use can lead to dependence, but I have taken it off and on as needed for six years. They thought my pain was a back problem too...

I was able to stop using tramadol with no issues. I was taking four/day prior to surgery, but that was only for this last few weeks.

All I know is how my mental and physical well being improved after hip replacement.

At one point in my life I was on SSRI's so I understand depression. Mine was related to undiagnosed ADHD. Once I understood the nature of the beast and made some lifestyle changes, Zoloft was no longer necessary. That does not mean it went away, it means I no longer require medication to deal with it. Or CNS stimulants for ADHD. Coffee is a central nervous system stimulant. I love coffee.

I have numerous hobbies that make me happy, so I make a conscious effort to change my mental channel. That does not always work around the holidays, or if your hip is killing you.

Just remember, we are here for you and advice is free, lol.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom