Guest viewing is limited

THR When is it time to have the other hip done<

@Belladonna I had two sequential thrs and OS made me wait until the first one calmed down and was strong before getting the second one done. It was frustrating to be sure though in hindsight it allowed my body the extra time to heal and the second recovery with one good leg was fantastic.

Agree with everyone here about pt, it can wait until after your legs have *fully* healed, walking is all you need at this point.
 
Belladonna new doctor new help.... I would at least go see him or her ... maybe take a list of what you wrote be in here....you still can say no but....go see .
.
 
Gee wizz! Your surgeon and PT are certainly NOT singing from the same hymn sheet, are they? However, you surgeon is spot on and your PT is wrong, wrong, wrong!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
I'll weigh in. I'm a guy, so I wait to the last minute as far as surgery goes. I knew a year before I had my RTHR that the X-Ray would show that I was a candidate for hip replacement.
It had not started interfering with my sleep all that often so I just put up with it.
If it were me, and I thought that the problems in my other leg might improve, I would put it off. However, if the other hip is already adding to your overall misery, get it done now.

I realize that was partially ambiguous, but I knew I was going to have both hips done within 3-5 years of each other anyway. I put up with the pain so I could chose a date that was convenient with what I had going on, it wasn't solely based on pain. If pain was the only factor, I would have had RTHR last summer.
 
Yeah i am done with PT. I went to my consultation woth my new surgeon. He is one of the best in Wisconsin, compassionate and funny. So he showed me my latest MRI. He said you are not your run of the mill hip surgery. You have arthritis in your SI joints, bulging disks and 30 percent scoliosis. He told me I should gave the other hip surgery if I am ready. He said he was not going to force me. He said having the left one done would balance my hips and ir might elliviate some of the pain in my back and as we go along we can work on other things that are wrong with my back but I shoukd start with the hip! I am terrified. He said when people go into hip surgery with a lot of pain and they are already on pain killers they have a rough time managing the pain. So what does everyone think?
 
So dougie 0216,
Are you telling me you would wait if your were in this situation? Not sure what u r suggesting but I like where you were going with it.
 
One more thing to add to the mix. I did not do well with ant narcotics they prescribed and ended up eating raisin toast that I only ate to take my meds, lemon pudding and scrambled eggs, I am pretty sure that was not a good diet for recovery but i could not keep anything down. I could not take nsaids because of the lessions in my stomach from the aleve so my oain was not managed very well. I am just petrified of the whole experience and need a lot of encouragement from you guys!
 
He said when people go into hip surgery with a lot of pain and they are already on pain killers they have a rough time managing the pain.
I was on pain medication for years before both my THRs due to lower back issues. My pain was totally managed post op.

I can't take the narcotics either. Did you ask for anti-nausea medication?

The trick is to work with staff post op to ensure you get your pain management cocktail just right. Your doctor has already confirmed what I found - having the second THR did help balance my back issues. In fact my second THR was a very easy recovery! Remember every THR is different - even on the same person.
 
Thanks for your input. Im starting to see having to operated hips will help me in the long run. Dealing with pain from surgery will lead to a better life but if i wait i will always have this lingering pain that will affect my quakity of life.
 
Way way too much PT.... You have had some awful luck...
I remember when I had so much pain and had gotten so distraught. Also had so little uninterrupted sleep that I had a very sour outlook because there just didn't seem to be any good answers. Then, when I did get a diagnosis and the remedy I was presented with was double hip replacement ..I was shocked and mortified. That WAS not the answer I was looking for!!!!?
But alas! It really was and I didn't know it.
Not convinced at week one
Convinced I screwed up at week 2
Hopeful but still hurting alot at week 3
Encouraged by week 4... Etc.
Today is two month anniversary... My Bilateral was May 1!!!
I know I am gonna be good good really soon.
 
Here y'go then!

First it would be very helpful to know your actual date of surgery

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
First surgery right hip was October 19 2016, next one is scheduled fir july 25.

1. First is posterior, future second will be same. pain leveks depend.

2. If I sit too long it can be a 5. If I stand too long it can be a 5. If I walk more than ¼ of a mile can be a 7. I have a lot of tightness in the muscle you use when climbing stairs etc., leg feels very stiff, still hard for me to pick things up. I have pain if I sleep on the operated side so I don't. Pain on my unoperated side is about a 4-6 when sedentary but could hit a 9 when walking

3. I'm kind of a tough case when it comes to medicine, because if the lesions in my stomach lining, most of them make me throw up. Occasionally I can take a celebrex with a lot of food. I take two Tylenol arthritis and my pharmacist actually makes a special topical lotion that contains lidocaine and gabapentan. Works great. I also wear compression leggings for fluid retention.

4. I ice lower back, incision area and bad hip on the way home from work (40 minute drive), after dinner, and at bed time.

5. I only elevate when i go to bed. I bought this great wedge that is very supportive for my back as well.

6. Activity level:
1. I am the director of a Montessori school. I go to work 4 x per week for 7 hours. A lot of sitting but I try to get up and walk every hour.
2. I cook 6 x per week, my husband cleans up after me.
3. Once a week I clean 2 bathroom and the kitchen.
4. I try and to do groceries 2 x per month but I get pretty exhausted.

7. A) I do these exercises in a pool 2x per week.
1. Walking on my toes across the width of the pool which is about 25 ft (5 x).
2. Same as above but walking on my toes
3. Same but high marches
4. Holding on to the side of the pool and standing on my toes then down.
5. Side kicks
6. Rotating my leg
7. Squats
8. Bicycle

B) I do these stretches every day 1x per day and 20 reps.
Gastroc-soleus stretch
Stretch swivel with knee on stool
Hip adductor stretch
IT band stretch standing
IT band stretch inside lying
Hip interior rotator stretch
Hamstring stretch

C) recumbent bike 3 x per week for 10 minutes
D) underwater trend mill once a week for 20 minutes.
I try to walk 0.25 mile every other day.
 
Just curious... Sounds tiring?? How long after your hip surgery did you go back to work and how long have you kept up all that PT along with work and regular housework activities???
The water stuff sounds okay to me considering you have a healing hip and a bad hip but all that band exercise sounds like alot.
Don't know, but if hurting... Might want to just drop as much as you can considering you have to be at work so much.
Very cool... Montessori school director... Very impressive and interesting!
 
@Belladonna I really do need you to answer the last question properly which was
- how many sessions you do each day
- the number of repetitions of each

When you can give me that information, I'll come back and address the whole of your post.
 
@Belladonna....I too have nausea and not a good reaction to pain killers...I met with all my Drs post op...anesthesiologist and pain management worked together and entered notes prior to my surgery..I have to say what a godsend!! They put an anti nausea patch behind my ear which I kept on for 4 days...also prescribed Zofran pills after the patch was removed if needed and I didn't need them...my painkiller Nucynta was my painkiller it was fantastic!! Good luck to you!! :)
 
Hi @Belladonna
I agree with @Mojo333 - that does seem a lot to me, especially with you being back at work for 28 hrs pw and probably more in reality
I have had some hydrotherapy too and am only eight weeks out, nine on Tuesday, which I realise may have some bearing on the type of therapy I am being given. However, the exercises I am being asked to do are nowhere near as strenuous as yours
Given that is easy to overdo it in the water (I did!) because water is so supportive, plus the tough regime you are following on dry land anyway, you are doing a hell of a lot of exercise ...
I am sure Josephine will give you a proper medical response anyway and, in the meantime, best wishes for a speedy recovery
Peter
 
@Belladonna - I hope you are finding ways to soothe your pain while waiting for your July 25 surgery date. Just want to add my own words of encouragement here - each one of us is unique and brings our own idiosyncrasies to the table. If everyone was the same, there would be one treatment that worked well for all.

Keep communicating with your providers. Do a risks and benefits assessment for having certain medications and treatments. If one medication gives you nausea and vomiting, it is quite likely your doctors can give you something along with it to prevent that. I agree with the others that having providers who communicate well with each other and with you is essential!! May you be blessed with sensible care and planning from now on. You are a member of your healthcare team and should be allowed to be actively involved in the planning.

Some pain and discomfort is unavoidable, of course, as you know. Even the best doctors will tell you that. It's important not to beat yourself up about coming into the second THR with complicated back problems. Be kind to yourself and keep your chin up. When one thing does not work for your pain, something else will! Gotta keep trying to find the thing that works for you. You deserve to be out of pain!

So keep being as vigilant as YOU ARE -- we are cheering you all the way!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom