Guest viewing is limited

THR When is it time to have the other hip done<

@Josephine
Not sure what you meant by properly. But i will try.

7. A) I do these exercises in a pool 2x per week.

1. Walking on my toes across the width of the pool which is about 25 ft (5 x).
2. Same as above but walking on my toes 5 times
3. Same but high marches 5 times
4. Holding on to the side of the pool and standing on my toes then down. 20 times
5. Side kicks 20 times
6. Rotating my leg 20 timrd
7. Squats 25
8. Bicycle 25 timed

B) I do these stretches every day 1x per day and 20 reps.
Gastroc-soleus stretch 20 rep 1x per day and 20
Stretch swivel with knee on stool 1x per day and 20
Hip adductor stretch 1x per day and 20
IT band stretch standing 1x per day and 20
IT band stretch inside lying 1x per day and 20
Hip interior rotator stretch 1 x per day and 20
Hamstring stretch is x to per day and 20

C) recumbent bike 3 x per week for 10 minutes

D) underwater trend mill once a week for 20 minutes.

I try to walk 0.25 mile every other anfcvhk
 
every other anfcvhk
Huh?? :scratch: :what:

Yes, this is what I call properly - what I asked for! Thank you so very much!

If I sit too long it can be a 5. If I stand too long it can be a 5. If I walk more than ¼ of a mile can be a 7
Wow! That's some pain score for so long.
I'm kind of a tough case when it comes to medicine, because if the lesions in my stomach lining, most of them make me throw up. Occasionally I can take a celebrex with a lot of food. I take two Tylenol arthritis and my pharmacist actually makes a special topical lotion that contains lidocaine and gabapentan
okay - still a bit :scratch:
I ice lower back, incision area and bad hip on the way home from work (40 minute drive), after dinner, and at bed time.
By 'bad hip' you mean the one not yet operated on, yes?
I only elevate when I go to bed. I bought this great wedge that is very supportive for my back as well.
okay

Activity level:
1. I am the director of a Montessori school. I go to work 4 x per week for 7 hours. A lot of sitting but I try to get up and walk every hour.
2. I cook 6 x per week, my husband cleans up after me.
3. Once a week I clean 2 bathroom and the kitchen.
4. I try and to do groceries 2 x per month but I get pretty exhausted.
Okay ....


I do these exercises in a pool 2x per week.
1. Walking on my toes across the width of the pool which is about 25 ft (5 x)
2. Same as above but walking on my toes 5 times
3. Same but high marches 5 times
4. Holding on to the side of the pool and standing on my toes then down. 20 times
5. Side kicks 20 times
6. Rotating my leg 20 times
7. Squats 25
8. Bicycle 25 timed

I do these stretches every day 1x per day and 20 reps.
Gastroc-soleus stretch 20 rep 1x per day and 20
Stretch swivel with knee on stool 1x per day and 20
Hip adductor stretch 1x per day and 20
IT band stretch standing 1x per day and 20
IT band stretch inside lying 1x per day and 20
Hip interior rotator stretch 1 x per day and 20
Hamstring stretch is x to per day and 20

C) recumbent bike 3 x per week for 10 minutes
D) underwater trend mill once a week for 20 minutes.
I try to walk 0.25 mile every other anfcvhk
I really don't understand why you are doing all this. It must be hard on your unreplaced hip and it certainly of no benefit for your replaced hip, not now. You say your replaced hip is not yet fully healed and my impression is that it is but that you're bashing the living daylights out of it under the impression that this is the way to 'make' it heal. Fact is that doing upwards of 200 reps of exercises per day, plus pool stuff, plus the C and D stuff is all way too much. Even Olympic athletes don't do that much! And then you're walking ¼ of a mile every other "anfcvhk" (what ever that is!!).

Don't you see that all this is what is causing your pain? Can I share with you a story of a man I met in my clinic a couple of years ago? He was a gym rat pre-op and somewhere along the line he had got the impression that the harder he worked and the more effort he put into it, the better his outcome would be. I know he had knees done but the principle is still the same for hips. PT: the seriously grave consequences of doing too much of it. IN my opinion, you are fast moving into this realm but you still have time to pull back and allow all these symptoms to settle down.
 
Thank you, you would be shocked if I told you what they had me do when I first walked in. They had me doing leg presses with 70 pound weights. A recumbent bike, an upright bike, weighted kick backs, walking across the gym with band around my ankles, sideways, skating motion.

After a week of that I was so sore I could not move so I called them and said this is way too much and I'm taking a break.

The Y has a pool, I think i may go there 2 x per week for a low impact aerobic class? What do you think? And maybe walking 3 x per week? And mild stretched when I wake up daily? Is that still too much?
 
Sadly I no longer get shocked at what US PTs make their patients do but I am very pleased you decided to call a halt to it and make your own choices.
The Y has a pool, I think I may go there 2 x per week for a low impact aerobic class?
I think not. You really don't need it.
And maybe walking 3 x per week?
Maybe walking but don't go mad - perhaps 5-10 mins at a time will be plenty.
And mild stretches when I wake up daily?
Absolutely! That's more like it!
 
You're the greatest and I love that you are straight forward and not wishy washy. I do have a question.

So on July 19 it will be 9 months post op for me. This was a long hard journey. I have had some other health issues in between, bladder infections, gastritis etc. I cry a lot because the whole experience really depressed me. My surgery for my left hip is scheduled for July 25 with an outstanding surgeon who reassures me that he would never do what the first surgeon did to me but I have lost trust in surgeons. He is at one of our best hospitals and has an amazing reputation.

My unoperated hip is not excruciation like my right was. I don't even have to ice it. My thoughts are to heal more physically, get rid of pt, chiropractors, the Y and heal and with that being said I think I will heal mentally. Then have my other one done in the spring? Thoughts?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A leap of faith..maybe have good reason not to trust, not with your other surgery.
We have to have faith that this will be ok.
Sounds like you've done your due diligence researching the surgeon to the best of your ability and if you're gonna do it, believe it will be different .. And ok.
I will believe it with you. Best wishes...
 
You are so sweet! Every week I have had something. Sunday I was in the ER with excruciating stomach pain. They said i had intestinal inflammation?? I never had all of this stuff before my surgery! I think it weakened my immune system or I am super stressed out about it all. I think when you go into a major surgery like this you have to be physically and mentally stable. I get so depressed, I cry at anything. My daughter leaves for college in September and i cry every time i look at her!
 
Then I think you should wait... If you have had all that going on. You need to be healthy physically and mentally to be able to deal with another major surgery.
Yes, drop the PT, you can do most of that yourself by now if you need to. I get a chair and do some of my PT... Marches, legs to the side, etc... But not with weights or bands, and not 3 sets of 20 each side like they wanted to tell me... Just keep range of motion... Water therapy on an easy does it scale...
Not good to go into surgery in bad state. If your unoperated leg can wait, than go ahead and give yourself time to get healthy and love on your daughter. My daughter the summer off from college... She is lifeguarding at a large waterpark here in the area.
How exciting for you and her...
When you decide it is right... Things will go much better.
Stress is terrible on your immune system, so try not to worry. Whatever you decide, You one what is better for you and your body..
 
Thank you for this encouragement. I woke up this morning with my 4th UTI since my surgery. I think I am going to see a urologist to make sure the surgery did not cause any other problems. My plan is this, drink a lot of water, take natural supplements to boost my immune system, no sugar, wheat or dairy.

Stretched daily in the am, walk once a day for 19 minutes until stronger. Do pool walking in about a month when things have settled down. Ice and raise my legs after work, ice and raise my legs at bed time. Does that sound like a good plan?
 
@Josephine
So I have told you all my crazy events of my THR in October 2016. I had my first UTI a month after the surgery. So bad I had to be hospitalized with IV antibiotics. In the past 9 months I have had three more. What could be causing this? I told the surgeon and my GP that I had a pinching sensation in my bladder since surgery but no-one really acknowledges it? What are your thoughts?
 
Gosh, I'd be a really clever girl if I could answer that! But it does seem that it needs to be investigated.

Has anyone asked you for a specimen of urine to send to the lab? If not, you should suggest or even press for it.
 
You mean not the quick dip but when they send it out and have it cultured. That akways comes back that I have an infection other than e.coli? So I think I need to make an appointment with a urologist. In some of the cases I don't even have all the pain that goes with a UTI, just uncomfortable then they say there are white blood cells in my urine?
 
I nevef had all of this stuff before my surgery! I think it weakened my immune system or I am super stressed out about it all.

After my first thr I had a dental problem and was surprised, never before had any such issues, get regular dental checkups, etc. Dentist said it's not uncommon and in simple terms he explained that surgery is a major stress on the body. It's using all it's resources to heal, immunity gets compromised which can make you vulnerable to other problems.

It's best to enter an elective surgery in the best of health as possible. Try cranberry juice and probiotics for the uti and maybe stay out of the pool until it's cleared.
 
@Belladonna Yes, surgery can make you so much more emotional, blue, out of sorts. However, let me tell you that you would still be crying looking at your daughter. My son is 24 but it seems like yesterday that senior year of high school and final summer before college. I was a basket case his senior year and that summer was hard. When he came home for weekends, he came by train and I'd cry taking him back to the train station. However, as you seem your child grow up and being more independent, as hard as it is, it is truly rewarding as well. Hang in there.
 
Sunday I was in the ER with excruciating stomach pain. They said i had intestinal inflammation??
What pain meds have you been taking? Anything like ibuprofen or diclofenac?
I am super stressed out about it all. I get so depressed, I cry at anything.
One of the problems in the post-op period is depression. You need to talk to your GP and get some 'stomach protector' pills. And read this to learn what's been going on in your stomach! Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
 
Belladonna, sounds like a plan to me. That rest, ice, elevate regimen is still what I do after work every day.. Hope you have a good weekend!
 
The Diclofenac sounds like it has a lot of GI side affects. My stomach is so messed up from the aleve!

But i will look up stomach protectors

I am taking protonics
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Belladonna I had acquired an ulcer couple years back from anti inflamnatories...it healed thank God..I spoke with my Gastro before the surgery knowing I was gonna be in lots pills for months...I take 30 my of Prevacid every morning with water a half hour before any pills...I go to Sam's Club and buy in bulk (it's 15 mg pills I double up dosage)..my stomach has been good..you can check with your dr but it is over the counter and can't hurt you..Good Luck!! :)
 
Thank you for your imput. They put me on similar prescription medication helps a bit but not right now! I am so stressed out and cry all the time. I am still not healed from first surgery and my other one is coming up. Im afraid to have it and aftaid to postpone??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Belladonna.
The stress and anxiety surrounding hip replacement should not be underestimated. You are not happy with your current recovery and here's another replacement looming large on the horizon.
I wonder if you decided to go ahead with the OP would you start to feel better mentally when your surgery is behind you.
Many people who have had 2 hip surgeries report that the second one is much easier. @Jaycey is one such lady.
Talk to your Doc or a councillor maybe re the depression and they may be able to help you to take the edge off.
Keep Well.
Joe....
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom