Guest viewing is limited

TKR Week 1 Recovery

Often you can do activities, but you pay for it later. I think scaling back and pacing yourself will be a good plan. I was working at 12 weeks but I was far from recovered. It did continue to improve month by month--and yes, eventually the knee was not on my mind. :)
 
@EkMkBP70 I still have anxiety at times about my new knees when I am trying to make my walks longer. I think this is all new to us and we just need to talk us through each day as it does get better even if we still have worries.
 
You are so right . I just drive myself crazy . Am I doing enough ? Am I doing too much ? Is this pain or ache normal ? Right now, the anxiety might be the real issue. The healing process is what it is . It’s not linear. I can’t let every pain , ache , and incident of swelling trigger me or cause me to fear the worst. I have to trust that all that I am feeling is normal. I have to get it through my head that I can’t compare my experience with that of someone else since healing is unique to each individual. I also probably need to focus less on ROM numbers and the # of post op weeks and more on daily progress. I be so appreciate all the support and encouragement. Thy one and all. This too shall pass . Lol. The quicker it passes the better.
 
more on daily progress.
Change this to weekly progress. You won’t see enough day to day. :console2:

I agree will all you just posted. I would encourage you to write it out and put it where you’ll see it often and read it every day. I did this with something I read here, during my recovery, which was, in a nutshell, “get on with your life and stop worrying!” This phrase helped me a lot!
 
Hi @EkMkBP70 Here's a little trick I used to help me get through the first few months of recovery: I focused on the things I could do now that I couldn't do before surgery -- even the little ones.

Each week, I would write down a list of "accomplishments" as well as the things I was still looking forward to being able to do. As the first list grew longer, the second one grew shorter.

Keeping track of all the small gains made me grateful I'd had the replacement and helped me be more optimistic about my recovery.
 
Just want go thy , benne68, I followed your advice and it’s helping . Journaling all the small gains . Great idea . It keeps me focused and on the lookout for positive outcomes . Less focus on the deficits

I like the idea of things o look forward to doing with family and friends. The advice turned my week around Thx
 
Hi @EkMkBP70 Honestly, I started making notes on my recovery knowing that I will need to have the other knee replaced in the not too distant future and wanted to have a record of my progress the first time around. (I'm still updating monthly!) The change it outlook was a pleasant surprise -- glad you found the idea helpful!
 
Like you, I’ve kep track of my recovery because I believe that I will need to have the right knee replaced eventually. what was most helpful was suggesting that I shift the focus to what I am able to do. I looked back over the notes of the last 12 weeks and the common theme seemed to be anxiety, fear, and a focus on what I could not do. I now realize the progress.

I still have to continue to work at my recovery. I still have aches and pains and random stiffness but this week I realized that my walking step count increased from 2700 to over 4,000 steps each day . I decreased my pain levels by splitting up strength and flexibility exercises. I took two walks with my family . There were a few other good things too. Like support and encouragement from people on this site that I’ve never met.

And lastly, you helped me to calm me down and look ahead with a positive attitude. Have a very nice weekend
 
this week I realized that my walking step count increased from 2700 to over 4,000 steps each day . I decreased my pain levels by splitting up strength and flexibility exercises. I took two walks with my family .
Wonderful report! Thank you for sharing.:flwrysmile:
 
I'm new and 7weeks post op - the information that kept ringing in my head from the doctors was try and keep your leg straight and eat something before you take your medicine and follow the schedule. Well every week was a better week and better longer sleep " though the first weeks were tough." I had to go in for a follow up x-ray - and a father was bringing his son in for a consult on tkr on other knee and both said you will feel and sleep better after the 4week. They were right on my advice and it just keep getting better til I cut myself off narcotics pain pills - now just Tylenol.
 
I intend to do my exercises at home and not all at one time and with some time between repetitions
This was the key for me and why I quit PT that final time. PT had me doing lots of different exercises with many reps within the 1 hour session. I found that I was very sore after each session, sometimes requiring 3-5 days of rest (no exercises) after a PT session. When I took the sheet and broke the exercises up over the course of the day, I was actually able to isolate the exercises that were too tough for me at the time and I did not have the significant post PT session pain even though I was doing most of the same routine (had to remove squats until just recently). I was very comfortable taking days off when I felt that The Knee was complaining. I even had to take several weeks off when I strained my knee after an unfortunate bumble. Once the strain was resolved, I had to ease back into my routine because of de-conditioning. My ROM was just fine once all the swelling went down, as if there was no gap in activity.

I say my knee is better every week but every day is a roller coaster. I will probably be 100% healed before I can successfully answer the am I doing too much or too little question. :rotfl: Relax and listen to your knee. We're rooting for you.
 
One week later , and I’m happy to report that I’m doing the same things that you’re doing . It’s working . I do my PT home plan at varied times during the day . I experienced a reduction in pain.

I also have made a serious attempt at keeping it positive. Thanks to another Bonesmart person. I’ve looked back over my posts from Week 1 until the present and noted how far I’ve come.

I wasn’t seeing the big picture. I was operating from a daily deficit model. Most days I would only look at what I couldn’t do today or what my pain level was on a day to day basis. I was frustrated and impatient because I wasn’t as far as I wanted to be .

Looking at the big picture , when I looked back at my previous posts . After doing that I realize that I am making progress , and I’m improving steadily.

Now I focus on what I can do today that I couldn’t do yesterday . Im trying to set mini or even micro goals. The smallest achievement counts . I’ve been doing this for over a week and it’s helped .

I feel better because the pT is getting done but in smaller time frames with fewer exercises and same # of repetitions . My anxiety is better because my previois posts invalidate my belief that my healing is not progressing.

When swelling or pain occur , I am sure that it’s temporary becsuse my previous posts give evidence that all of this is part of the process. Just thought I’d share this because a suggestion from someone on Bonesmart changed my thinking and my confidence.
 
The smallest achievement counts
I celebrated the day I tied my shoe. hahaha :heehee:

Excellent shift in perspective. That will work in your favor during the recovery.
 
When swelling or pain occur , I am sure that it’s temporary because my previous posts give evidence that all of this is part of the process.
While it is a part of the process if you can figure out what activity cause the swelling you can avoid that activity or intensity until you heal a little more. Great job choosing a new way to look at recovery. A positive attitude really does help healing in my opinion, and even if it doesn't it's sure a more pleasant way to go through life.
 
Happy 3 month Knee-versary, @EkMkBP70 ! :flwrysmile:

Hope you are doing well. Give us an update when you have a chance.
 
Well, I’m beginning week 14 ! But who’s counting. Right? just visited the surgeon on May 16th. The X-RAY ant the exam went well. ROM 125. Extension 0

I resumed working three times a week with my personal trainer . I’m walking everyday for 30 minutes on a treadmill . I’m running errands and doing household tasks. I live on a second floor, so I walk up and down a flight of stairs at least 5-6 times a day .That requires carrying, lifting groceries, and laundry and taking out trash.

I also have a mini exercise cycle and I pedal for 20 minutes everyday. My knee is achy on and off and the incision is healed but feels tight sometimes. I use Silicone gel and it is healing the scar.

I ice and elevate after the treadmill and exercise bike and at bedtime. I take Advil or Tylenol if I experience achiness or discomfort. I adjust my activity based on how I’m feeling on any given day.

I’m glad that I had the surgery. I had a good result and no complications but the recovery is no walk in the park. It is mentally and physically challenging. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and thrilled that it’s not an oncoming train.
I am so grateful that I joined Bonesmart. It continues to get me through some challenging times . Thy so much for the ongoing support, encouragement, suggestions, and advice
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom