Guest viewing is limited

TKR Week 1 Recovery

@EkMkBP70 wow you are a trooper going up and down stairs. I would never be able to do that. My moods come and go too and this darn compression stocking to the thigh on my LTKR is a real hard thing to get on each day but must be wore per my Vascular Surgeon due to the extreme swelling from vein problems in that leg for at least 5 more weeks. MY OS says knee is good to go to PT outpatient and measured at 90 when evaluated but will start PT on Thursday as no days available as one of my drivers is down my daughter who had toe/foot surgery last week. Always somehting
 
Great progress! I also try to increase my steps every day although I am not as far along. I was wondering what you use to keep track of your steps?
 
Hello . I thy for your responses . I presently use the Health App on my IPhone . It calculates my daily steps of I keep it in my pocket. Gives me abit of an incentive. I hope that helps.
 
I am so happy that I’m part of this group . So much support from folks who can relate to what you are experiencing and feeling. Our journeys are all so different. During Week#2, I told myself , just do the best you can today. I repeat that every morning. In some small way ,it helps . I live alone so I feel compelled to give it all I’ve got. I am lucky that I have supportive daughters and good friends during this time
 
I live alone so I feel compelled to give it all I’ve got.
Don’t forget that resting is an important part of this rehab. Don’t look at it as sitting around doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best opportunity in which to heal!
 
^so true. There are things around the house that can wait. Think about pacing yourself. Spread out your tasks over the course of the day or even over the course of the week. Celebrate even what seem to you as small accomplishments.
 
I had a TLKR 9 weeks ago today. I am doing quite well. I do PT exercises at home (40 minutes per day) and at an outpatient facility three times a week. I also walk everyday. As expected, sometimes my knee aches or swells. Still icing and elevating . My ROM is 125. Still working on Extension. I can climb stairs step over step up and down. I can do most household tasks . I live alone on a second floor. I am 70. I will resume strength training three half hour sessions each week this week.

I am curious if most folks do formal exercises everyday . And if so, how much time and many exercises do you do in a session. I do 3 sets of 10 for approximately 8 exercises . Then I walk. My knee gets sore . I’m wondering if I’m overdoing it.

I find that everyday tasks doesn’t seem to create pain . Some PT exercises sometimes do . I don’t want to lose ground on ROM so I keep at it .
 
I rarely did exercises at home. I do believe the movements we get from everyday activities is natural PT and all I needed.
 
Thy so much . I appreciate your response
 
My doctor reminded me if it hurts while you're doing it, stop and if it hurts a day a 2 later don't do it again for a while. There are likely a couple of those 8 exercises that may be too much for a 9 week old knee. Pay close attention to your knee's response.
 
@EkMkBP70 hi, I just read thru your thread . I’m about a month behind you and a similar age, 72. Sounds like you are doing well to me. I am not spending 40 minutes excercising and I found myself reacting when I read that. I tend to agree that normal movement will take care of most of it. My ROM is 78. LOL. My PT says it will come and not to worry.

I had the right replaced 15 years ago with lots of pressure and stress. Not a pleasant experience. Today it works just fine.
 
I spread out my exercises rather than doing one long session. The main thing is to move the knee but also not overdo. Finding that balance is trial and error.
 
Natural exercise is always the best, but most of us don't really do enough after knee surgery so it is good to supplement with some strength exercises. I gauge what I did each day and exercise based on that. For example I spent many hours mulching the yard Saturday so I did no structured exercising that day. The next day I finished up outside in a few hours so I did an abbreviated set of exercises. Yesterday my ADLs consisted of me sitting at my desk and getting up for coffee, walking to dinner table, and a short walk with the dog so I did a full set.
 
Sounds like you are doing great! My surgery was 11 days before yours and my progress has been very slow. I've finally been able to ditch the walker this week and am now using a quad cane. I can go up stairs one at a time but haven't tried going down yet. My knee gives out randomly when walking so I'm mostly homebound. I go to PT 2x a week and do home exercises 3 other days of the week (3 sets of 10 on 8 different exercises). My ROM is 0-115. I've spent more time trying to build the strength in the muscles so the knee won't be so unstable.
 
Beginning Week 11. I’m not someone who loves walking for the sake of walking , but I go out and walk every day . I do my exercises once a day . I had three weeks of PT at home , three weeks outpatient then visited my surgeon at 6 weeks . He was very satisfied with the XRsy, my extension and ROM (-5 and 125) He said I could continue PT at home . I asked him if I could continue outpatient PT to master walking step over step and to improve balance . He agreed .

I am able to go up and down a full flight of stairs several times a day step over step with very minor discomfort. I I get in and out the car with no issue . I am able to walk without a cane . I live on my own and I’m fully functioning.

I am doing more challenging exercises in outpatient PT and many repetitions. I am finding that I’m am more sore and swollen in the first two weeks . And I’m miserable . After rereading the BoneSmart approach to PT agsin, I am going to stop the outpatient PT.

I’ve been icing and elevating , but I’m sick of the whole process The calf exercises have caused pain in my shin and calves. I had superficial bruising . I had s sonogram - no DVT. I believe my knee and I need to heal naturally at this point.

I intend to do my exercises at home and not all at one time and with some time between repetitions . I am icing and elevating . Ialso take Aleve on an as need basis . I continue to walk and that seems to be ok. Should I take days off btw exercises if I’m swollen or in pain or just fo what I can. Should I walk on those days ?

I also concerned because of the anxiety that goes with all of this . Will I get better ? Will the pain go away ? Should I be experiencing this at 11 weeks. Am doing to much ? Am I doing too little ? Will I ever get to the point where my knee isn’t the focal point of my life. I sm grateful for this forum because it gives me a chance to hear from others . Thank you for listening to one long vent .
 
I am doing more challenging exercises in outpatient PT and many repetitions. I am finding that I’m am more sore and swollen in the first two weeks . And I’m miserable .
I'm so sorry you are struggling, but I think you've answered your own question later in the post. If you are in pain, you are doing more than your knee is able to accept at this point in your recovery. You are wise to take a break from PT. Give the pain and inflammation a chance to go down. Then walking and ADLs are probably all you will need.

Your ROM is excellent for 11 weeks out and the fact that you can both climb and descend stairs reciprocally is amazing. (I only mastered that about a month ago. )

Will I get better ? Will the pain go away ? ... Will I ever get to the point where my knee isn’t the focal point of my life.
Yes, you will! It is a year-long recovery (and you are only about 1/4 way in). but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am now about 7-1/2 months out and am pain free 90% of the time (except when I overdo it!) I am able to do just about everything I want with worry about my knee.

You will get there, too. We all find it hard to exercise the most important muscle needed for this recovery: the patience muscle! :wink:
 
I also concerned because of the anxiety that goes with all of this . Will I get better ? Will the pain go away ? Should I be experiencing this at 11 weeks. Am doing to much ? Am I doing too little ? Will I ever get to the point where my knee isn’t the focal point of my life. I sm grateful for this forum because it gives me a chance to hear from others . Thank you for listening to one long vent .
This really is a 12-18 month recovery and you are very early in it, as Benne said it will get better. Are you still icing? I still used ice for several months, at least in the evening after 4 months or so. Your ROM is outstanding for this early and going up stairs reciprocally is quite an achievement this early as well. I would suggest dialing any home PT way back and just let your knee have it's PT as you go about your daily activities of life. That and some walking, and most of all patience, and your knee will recover with less pain and swelling. It is a long journey but if you stick with the BoneSmart approach the journey will be less painful and you will still reach the same final destination. Ultimately you get to choose the path, the tough rocky road through painful PT, or the BoneSmart path through the meadow with the pretty wild flowers. :flwrysmile:
 
Thy so so so much Your message is so reassuring and encouraging. It’s been a tough week.
 
I also concerned because of the anxiety that goes with all of this . Will I get better ? Will the pain go away ? Should I be experiencing this at 11 weeks. Am doing to much ? Am I doing too little ? Will I ever get to the point where my knee isn’t the focal point of my life. I sm grateful for this forum because it gives me a chance to hear from others . Thank you for listening to one long vent .
Hi @EkMkBP70 , I too have bouts of anxiety about my knees (week 21 RTKR) even if it has been pretty function and generally painfree. There remains a smidgen of tightness and when coming down stairs, a tinge of discomfort on the lateral side of the knee. And now that I've had my LTKR (week 2.5), the load on my right leg has greatly increased and along with that has been an increase in the tightness feeling and occasional discomfort.

As many folks have posted, it'll take a year or so before the knee no longer take such a prominent spot in one's life. I can't wait to get to that point ... but ... until then, my knees will continue to take center stage.

Hang in there! And ... all the best!!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom