TKR Week 1 Recovery

Thank you so much for suggestions. I appreciate them. I am beginning Week #3. I am progressing and the knee pain is manageable. Sleeping is better , but I often just don’t feel great . Aches and pains in my back , behind my calves , ankles, and feet. I ice after PT, during the day , and at bedtime for 20 minutes each time . I also sleep with my leg elevated. I have started walking with a cane . I try to do my PT exercises 2x a day ( 20 repetitions) . The exercises are performed lying down, sitting, and standing.

Everything seems to be progressing. According to my doctor and PT , I am doing well. I feel so annoyed at myself. I am really working at a cheerful disposition , but I often feel impatient, irritable , and I struggle. I mean struggle to stay positive and motivated .

I’ve read the material about post op blues . I am mad at myself for not just living in the moment and accepting what is . I force myself to get up, get dressed, do my PT, try to prepare light meals , read etc. Some moments I feel optimistic, energized, and motivated . Other times I must really push myself. I am grateful that I have this place to vent . It feels good to just be able to say this isn’t easy . Even if you are progressing. It’s hard and sometimes really uncomfortable. Guided meditations help. I think I miss my independence and self sufficiency. I’m a healthy 70 year old that lives alone . I have a family and a solid support system but I it is hard to be dependent on others. I should count my blessings and be patient. Thx for listening . Lol.
 
I could have written your post! It is not easy but it will be worth it. I had my first knee done last April, the second a couple of weeks before you. I, too, feel blah and just want to be done with all the work. It’s especially frustrating when the weather is so beautiful and I cannot do much outdoors. You’re doing great! Keep visiting here and sharing with folks who understand. ❤️
 
Try extending you icing time to 45-60 minutes at a time @EkMkBP70. 20 minutes is standard for injuries but for joint replacement the longer icing times really help. You can ice as long as you want as long as you use something between your skin and the ice to protect it.
 
I’ve read the material about post op blues . I am mad at myself for not just living in the moment and accepting what is . I force myself to get up, get dressed, do my PT, try to prepare light meals , read etc. Some moments I feel optimistic, energized, and motivated . Other times I must really push myself. I am grateful that I have this place to vent . It feels good to just be able to say this isn’t easy . Even if you are progressing. It’s hard and sometimes really uncomfortable. Guided meditations help. I think I miss my independence and self sufficiency. I’m a healthy 70 year old that lives alone . I have a family and a solid support system but I it is hard to be dependent on others. I should count my blessings and be patient. Thx for listening . Lol.
Hi @EkMkBP70 , I think I know exactly how you're feeling since I've gone (still going) through emotional ups and downs post-op. I think my knee has come a really long way in such a short period of time and I should be happy about it (and I usually am) but every time I get up from bed, I'm in a somewhat miserable frame of mind. My spirits lift when I get downstairs, start sipping my first cup of coffee while reading updates on forums like bonesmart or checking out TKR rehab clips on YouTube.

As I come closer to my LTKR, I've found myself feeling down every time I think about having to start from "square 0" all over again - even as Spring rolls around. The thought of spending a couple of hours a day tethered to the ice machine and/or elevating the leg, instead of outside in brilliant sunshine doesn't fill my heart with joy!

But ... knowing that I'll soon have two good legs for the first time in decades is very uplifting.

Hang in there! It won't be long before you regain your independence and self sufficiency - and with a new, improved knee!
 
Tomorrow I will complete Week # 3. This week is ending with some good progress. Today was the Last day of home PT. My extension is 0 and my flexicon is 105. I’ve adjusted the pain medication this week . Can’t wait to be done with it.

Starting to sleep for longer periods at night. I do believe that the medications irritate my stomach. Prior to surgery , I only took two blood pressure meds daily. Hardly any over the counter. I needed the meds on the beginning. But pain is becoming more manageable. Im trying to cut back abit. Hoping to use it on an as need basis prior go PT . My PT therapists have a philosophy similar to the BoneSmart philosophy. We will see as I work through Week #4.

iI still don’t have an appetite. I do eat three healthy meals a day stay healthy, but I’m rarely hungry. I think it’s the medications.

Still icing and elevating the knee a lot . Incision looks good . Swelling is less. Still experience pain on the outside of the knee, but less in the back of my calf . Pain is improving. Walking mostly with a cane . I can do some walking on my own.

I experience anxiety , but I try to use guided meditations and it helps . I worry about every new pain or ache . I feel impatient with myself because I should be focusing on what’s good and positive instead of focusing on every ache and pain. The surgery has exacerbated the anxiety .Thankfully, seeing friends, meditation, and this thread help . Going to begin out patient therapy on Monday .
 
But pain is becoming more manageable. Im trying to cut back abit. Hoping to use it on an as need basis prior go PT
Please don't take pain meds before PT. You need to feel the pain. That way you'll know that your knee isn't ready for what you are doing. That pain is a warning system for you and you need to feel it. Doing movements that your knee isn't healed enough to do yet will probably result in a setback in your healing. You have to heal from the PT and then get back to the normal healing. No one wants to do that.
 
Thank you so much for the good advice and makes sense.
 
Beginning Week 4. Rode in the car to my daughter’s home out of State for an hour and a half this morning following a night of elevated pain. Woke up with sciatica. I did all my PT before I left. Did ankle pump , knee lifts , extensions in the car . Did not stop due to very inclement weather.

I’m having a physically and mentally challenging day. I feel like I take two steps forward and two steps back. Nights have been challenging, but I had two good nights previously and thought I was turning a corner.

I seem to have less pain when I walk . I can do stairs. My appetite is not back but I eat 5 small healthy meals a day. I’m taking so much medication and just finished Cipro as the result of a UTI. All was well yesterday.

Today my leg is hurting to the left and right sides of the implant my back has sciatica pain. Does sciatica affect the groin. I will complete 10 days of Cipro today but I’m not sure if the back pain is knee related. Or UTI related . I was fine yesterday . No fever , clear urine. Etc . By the way , this i Is the first time that Ive gotten a UTI in my life.

My ROM is 105 and extension is 0. My stomach has been quirky since the surgery, but I usually don’t take a lot of meds .

I worry about every ache and pain . Today is just one of those type of days where I’m worried, tired, and anxious .

Thy for listening. This is s supportive group. I wonder if I’m alone in these anxious thoughts or do others have days like this.

I’ve been assured that my progress is good. PT is happy with my progress . I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster . Some days all is well. I seem to find something to worry about every day. I felt so positive yesterday.
 
You’re definitely not alone. I feel like it’s a roller coaster ride with my emotions. It’s not an easy journey but, as you’ve discovered, this group is a Godsend. Folks here understand. Hang in there!
 
Cipro really upsets my stomach. You may feel a whole lot better when you finish the prescription. :fingersx:
 
You are very early in recovery. All you mentioned are factors for the way you feel. A lot of medication you're not used to taking could definitely be throwing your system off. It’s very early for a 90 minute car ride, especially without a stop, and weather cal also affect our knees!

Also, take a look at this article from the recovery guidelines:
 
I’m in the middle of Week # 4. Started out out patient PT yesterday . The therapist is very conscious of not doing exercises that cause pain. The last few days , I have lower back and hip pain into my groin on my left side. I also have pain on the left and right side of my calves , feet, and arch. It’s dull and uncomfortable, and bearable. PT adjusted my exercises in response
I am doing more . I prepare my meals, pull up my bed, walk close to 2,000 steps a day .

I reduced my pain meds . I take X Strength Tylenol every 8 hrs, Meloxicam midday , and one Roboxican at bedtime . Gave up tramadol last week.

I’m doing quite well according to doctor and PT. , I try to stay resilient and optimistic. I just feel frustrated when new issue crops up. My health anxiety kicks in and I get fearful and I overfocus on my pain .

Yesterday , I felt very good about my progress and pain. Today my thoughts are filled with negative what ifs. The range of emotions is unbelievable.
 
Everything is trying to “relearn” how it is supposed to work with your new knee. The body has compensated for the weakness of the old knee and it takes time, and a heck of a lot of patience, to return to wholeness.

Emotions are all over the place. I find myself crying for seemingly no reason. Be sure to read the article on emotions.
 
I’m doing quite well according to doctor and PT. , I try to stay resilient and optimistic. I just feel frustrated when new issue crops up. My health anxiety kicks in and I get fearful and I overfocus on my pain .

Yesterday , I felt very good about my progress and pain. Today my thoughts are filled with negative what ifs. The range of emotions is unbelievable.
Hi @EkMkBP70 , I think I know how you're feeling and how your thought process occasionally hews towards the negative side --- that happens quite often with me as well, even as my recovery has been going pretty well. New aches and pains that show up elsewhere in the body trigger another round of worry, etc.

There are several ways I deal with those types of anxieties and fears, e.g., reading up summaries/reports/updates on forums such as bonesmart; viewing TKR clips on YouTube.

Yep, the range of emotions is indeed unbelievable. Recovery/rehab is very hard, exhausting work. Very!

All the best on continued progress and success on calming your anxieties!
 
I am just beginning Week # 5. I’m happy with my progress . I go to PT twice a week. I do PT exercises on my own every other day. I take one Meloxicam once a day and extra strength Tylenol during the day if I need it . I’m walking about 2300-2500 steps daily . Night pain is still present but intensity is less.

I am visiting my daughter out of state right now. I prepare light meals, do light loads of laundry. Shower and dress on my own. I live alone most of the time, and I’m returning home next week.

I live in a second floor apartment. Can anyone share how they manage carrying groceries upstairs . I do not have a washer or dryer . I send it out and must bring laundry and dry cleaning up and downstairs. I’m still using a cane. I also have to use the stairs to bring out the trash. Any suggestions or tips on how anyone living alone manages these tasks.

Lastly, my surgical leg is peeling. I have not experienced a lot of swelling and I think I’m hydrated . I’ve been using Cetaphil. I usually drink three 10oz cups of black tea and 12 Oz of water each day .

All comments would be very appreciated.
 
I think you are doing amazing for 5 weeks out. A lot of what you want/need to do are things that those with help would just not think of doing at 5 weeks (myself included) but I understand that if you live on your own you have no choice. A rucksack is good for shopping as long as you do not put too much in it and it becomes heavy and throws you off balance. I found an elbow crutch better than a cane and I could carry some things in a carrier bag on the bit that your hand holds onto (not sure if I have explained that very well) again not too much or you will be off balance. When you say laundry is sent out do you just take it down stairs and have it collected or do you then have to take to somewhere. In the first instance I would ask them if they can come to your door if the latter I would make sure in a closed bag/parcel and let it roll down the stairs obviously making sure no-one is on the stairs or at the bottom then go down and put it where it needs to be. Trash in small amounts in a bag with tie handles on the handle of crutch. But this is all if you have an elbow crutch or indeed if you wish to use one. Well that's my thoughts for what they are worth but I am sure you will find your own ways and if you continue to recover at the rate you are doing then it won't be a problem for long. Remember though that you need to take care of that new knee and not push it too far. I wish you a speedy recovery. xx
 
@EkMkBP70 Are there any grocery stores in your area that will deliver? Near me the Safeway stores do delivery -- you do your shopping on line. And you can usually pick the most convenient time for delivery. The cost of delivery in my area is not very much (about $4.00 + the cost of your groceries). And the items are delivered right to your door.

I used that service a lot after having my hips replaced and it was well worth it! And some of the delivery folks, especially early on when they saw me with walker or crutches, would volunteer to carry things right to the kitchen for me. That of course was before COVID. I've used it a few times since the pandemic started and drivers were very conscientious about wearing a mask and keeping social distant.

Or do you have a neighbor or two - or close by friend/relative - you could ask for help carrying things upstairs? Any neighborhood teenagers who would like to earn a few $ to come by maybe on a set day or two a week to give you a hand?
 
Good morning!
For my dry flaky post surgical knee, I used E45 cream. It's great!
I also used arnica for the bruising!
Definitely do grocery delivery if it is an option!
You are doing pretty well for such a new knee! Hang in there, soon this will be just a memory!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
 
My goodness, you have a lot on you. Do you have a small hand truck that you can rest the items on and pull them up the stairs? I had to do this. Be sure to hold tightly on to the handrail as you are doing this.
 
Back
Top Bottom