THR We can re-build him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie,

Do you have to take antibiotics b4 dental work like the protocol in the states?

It's standard procedure here...just a thought/reminder.

Sorry about the tooth/teeth! :gaah:

Z
 
My dentist just finished up with me.

I told him to do everything he could think of, to use up my extra health care spending account (use it or loose it).

Two 3 hour sessions later and I am a new man, or at least a few more parts are new.:biggrin:
 
Thanks Guys,

Unfortunately Seattle John I'm NOT insured hence the pain reference!

Hey John Z thanks for that thought, I really hadn't thought of that .... it's never been mentioned to me but I will check before any treatment ...

Charlie
 
No worries:loll:

Just found this article re antibiotics and dental work ...... not much help I'm afraid but at least it gives a Dentist's point of view!

broken link removed: https://www.oralanswers.com/2011/05/antibiotics-before-dental-work-for-joint-replacements/

C
 
I like to error on the safe side and carry antibiotics with me and take them if I bite my cheek or otherwise get buggies in my blood.

I definitely take them when I go dentisting
 
Poor Charlie,

Sorry you have to go to the dentist, my least favorite place..I'm always conflicted because I love my dentist and his team, but oyyyyyy the other stuff icky! I've got a horrible habit of chewing gum at home only, not when I go out I just think it looks horrible when people are smacking gum. My habit started when I quit smoking ahhhh hang on there is a connection here somewhere smoking, dentist sweet things, teeth an issue?!?!?! Ewwwwww!

Hope you trip is easy today! Dental work here is very expensive even with insurance. I'm curious if you have to take any antibiotics I know it seems to vary who needs to to take. My OS prefers I take for life now, my dentist agrees too. So I popped my 4 pills before I got there.

Sending lots of love,

xxooxx
 
Hi Charlie,

Good luck at the dentist -- hope it's not too painful on the teeth or the pocketbook...

On the antibiotic theme -- my OS defers to the dentist and expects them to make a recommendation and prescribe if they want to. My dentist was aghast at this and didn't want to be the one to decide either. I was regaling my GP with this little story and she was mortified and gave me a script for antibiotics and a strong urging to take them. Going on Thursday for the second cleaning since my surgery -- *bleck*

On a lighter note, I have been on the rowing machine twice now this week just for a quick 5 minute row. It worked great and my leg is now straight when I row instead of out at a little angle from the pre-surgery hip pain. Monday I was next to a guy going gangbusters on his rower and get this -- he looked like you Charlie, with the baseball cap from your video. However, when I said the secret "star jumps" password he had a blank look and just rowed faster.... :hysterical:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks for the messages!

Sarah I HAVE GIVEN UP EVERYTHING!! (well almost everything ...wink wink!!).

Cardie I'm fascinated that you went on a rowing machine as that's what my wife wants me to do first and then the real thing!! Are you able to compress your operated thigh any where near your "chest"? That's my fear that although my ROM is improving by leaps and bounds I'm not sure I'll be able to get forward far enough to row!

As regards antibiotics and dentistry I told the dentist about my operation and he said that maybe if I was having dental surgery ie root canals etc.. maybe antibiotics are a good idea. He also went on to say that the dental fraternity worldwide had got in a tiz about antibiotics and protheses. It used to be thought necessary but that if you read the scientific studies there is little or no proof of any links between prothesis infections and dentistry! I did check this after I returned with a temporary not antibiotically treated filling, and he is right.... I think there seems to be a groundswell recently AGAINST antibiotics! The theory is that they remain a safe bet for dentist and GPs and Surgeons to say "yes" to as if push comes to shove no-one has ever been sued for prescribing antibiotics but might just be sued for not doing so!! .....it's safer when asked to say yes!!

I have my proper dental work in a couple of weeks and I shall ask my Surgeon and GP before then and see what they say .....probably "yes"!!

Charlie
 
Hi Charlie,

Yes, I can get my thighs to chest on the rower. I am almost 10 months out from my surgery now too though. My THR side is a little tighter feeling than the other and doesn't compress as fully as the other -- which goes to my chest totally & easily.

I am thinking that I'll be able to go into the kayak this summer too -- although I may have to roll it to get out.... :hysterical:

Can you practice hugging your thighs/knees to chest while lying flat on your back at home for a while first to see how you do? Or maybe just bringing your knees as close to your chest as you can without any additional force or help -- don't want to violate any of your restrictions, if you have any.

You have plenty of time to return to the rower and maybe your form will be a little less than perfect at first. ROM continues to improve throughout this first year.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks Cardie that's really interesting and inspiring. I'll take it easy until I've seen my Surgeon in late April but I'm already getting my sock on to my operated side foot without any gadgets ....... which is really something!!!:hysterical:

Charlie
 
Charlie,

My ROM on the rower continues to get better....once you can get comfortable past 90 degrees you can start working on it and get a workout. I was like Cardie...start with 5 minutes and decide what to do next time...and increase slowly.

I understand the controversy on antibiotics...you can find plenty of folks arguing either side of the issue. I am happier with the RISK of too much antibiotics than not having them.

And what my dentist said is that a CLEANING is the absolute worst for injecting a flood of bacteria into your system...lots of little nicks and bleeding and a TON of bacteria being set free... :umm:

Z
 
Hiya Charlie. I must add that I totally agree with John. I would much rather swallow a few pills than go thru having my hip removed because of infection.

I was scheduled for a cleaning the day before my THR as I had made the dental appointment first. Needless to say I cancelled it, on the advise of Jo and others.

Better safe than sorry my friend...
 
Dear Janet and John (do you have those kids books in the US ... Janet & John Learn to Read etc?)

Any way I agree with the better safe than sorry approach .... I'm not sure what satisfaction I'd get from proving the doubters wrong by contracting an infection of my hard won prosthesis and saying "But you said it hardly ever happens!!"

I saw Dynamite Debs (Physio and Dominatrix) today and she was SOOOOO happy with me that she said she'd love to see more of me :blush: (not really!!) but don't come back for a month!! The other Physio's in the centre also commented on how good I was doing, so I was really up ...... then Debbie said "Charlie please don't get over confident ... you know what happened last time!!!!???" BUMP back to earth, "What Mistress Debbie giveth she soon taketh away!":th_heehee:
Kindly as she could see that she'd pricked my balloon she gave me a couple of very nice inserts for my shoes which feel great! Using just one readdresses the LLD nicely so it's full speed ahead and Olympics here we come!:hysterical:

Cheerful Charlie Chuckles
 
Charlie, I'm coming over to go to your local pup...I'm thinking either a ploughmans lunch or steak + kidney pie with chip, gravy and mushy pees with a pint of cold larger YUMMY

Happy early Friday hope you are getting ready for a nice weekend!

Xxooxoxoxox
 
Hi Cus

Ouch the dentist.... Feel for you. Just dropping by to catch up on all your news :)
 
GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU COUSIN SANDY!!:biggrin: Hope that you're keeping positive let us all know how things are.....please!!

Sarah I know it's a long time since you lived in the home of English but it's PUB not PUP(typo) and PEES???? :hysterical: Oh PLEES!!! :hysterical:

Sounds like dyslexia lures ko .......

Just teasing Sarah have a great weekend .... you surely have an English Pub somewhere in the area??

Love
Charlie
 
Hi there Charlie Chuckles 

Nothing to report yet :( - thank you for asking :)

You are doing fantastically from what I have read on your thread.

THR's are a blessing aren't they?

Yipee! We are back on my favorite topic FOOD...... My mouth is watering remembering the fabulous English pub meals we have had....

Mmmm! Mmmm!
 
Sandy, YOU HAVE TO POST ON YOUR OWN THREAD RE YOUR PROGRESS please ......even if it's to say there isn't any!!!! We're all worried about you .... no news isn't necessarily good!

Cuz Charlie xxxxx
 
Pup <----- silly iPad and me not spell checking afterwards sorry!

Yes we have pub like places there is one around the corner, it's not the same though....I think it's when I come home your around family it's like a warm blanky chances are high you have been going to the same one for years, its funny when you think about it because the food itself you really cannot mess up well not the basics like a ploughmans. Just made me think of really strong cheddar cheese with pickles, yum branstead pickles with fresh French bread and butter. Jeeeezzzzzz yep still on my diet darn that does sound good not today though. I can buy all those food items here we have aisle in our supermarkets for "foreign items hehehehehe". I go through maniac phases, one of my favorite comfort things is wheatabix wait and chocy digestives!

I'm stopping now I'm hungry!

Night Night Charlie

xxooxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom