THR We can re-build him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi charlie, a fellow uk'er!
thanks for your repy on my thread... and its a massve comfort to have met someone else with the non weightbearing thing. ive read through your full thread today, what a story! your positivity is infectious!
 
Charlie,

Ginger is beautiful and is clearly a brilliant animal...i can just tell...

Good luck with the "concrete thigh"...but I would think that a cyborg would have thighs made of something more space age....like TITANIUM if nothing else...

BUT...you know your body... :wink1:

Good luck with the weight bearing...

Z
 
Hi all,

Just back from the Physio, the Delightful and Delicious Dynamite Debbie, who is really happy with me (who's a good boy then!!) my knee thigh angle has increased by 12 degrees to 110 so those quads are definitely getting the message!
Cardie she recommends heat before I exercise to "soften" up the muscles ....sometimes I even remember to do it!:sigh:
Jasper NEVER gets the snowball as it somehow disappears when it hits the ground, it's a similar thing to disappearing squirrels. He regularly chases them in our local woods and despite nearly catching them is totally mystified when they go behind a tree and disappear into thin air:scratch: He never thinks about looking upwards to see the little perisher scrambling up the trunk !! :DOH:
Janet thanks for your thoughts and I hope you're doing ok!

Just off with my little boy(Jasper) round our meadow ....the temperature has risen in the UK by 20 degrees C in a week so it's really quite pleasant. Someone once said about the UK that we don't have a climate just weather!!

See Y'all

Charlie xxx
 
Hi Charlie,

Been following your posts and you are doing great, think I could learn some about patience from you. Your doggie looks adorable. Once my dog, Rylee (who is long gone now after a wonderful life) actually caught the squirrel...he had no clue what to do with it so just dropped it and let it go, guess the joy really is in the chase. Take care, loving to hear your successes as you recover.
 
Just a quick message re Sandy, I received a message quote:

"I'm not very well at the moment and need to look after myself, I won't post much on BS for the time being but will be back when I can" (slight paraphrasing).

I'm sure she won't mind me posting that just to keep all her old Hippie friends in the loop. Obviously we all send her our very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Charlie
 
Hello Charlie,

Thank you for sharing about Sandy! Sending her lots of love from here.

It sounds like you are doing really well and back to walking Jasper outside which is brilliant news. I loved his new photo in the snow.

Lots of Love,

Sarah
 
Hi Smudge .... I certainly am!!
I still use one stick when I'm out walking the dog and going up stairs etc but try to do without around the house where there are lots of "help" points to lean on.

The biggest obstacles are tiredness and discomfort. I'm trying to clench my glutes which helps with my gait ...... readers of my thread a couple of months ago when I did this the last time will remember "Walnuts"!!! :th_heehee:
 
Charlie, thank you for passing on that message from Sandy! Hopefully the Foxy Cyborg will feel better soon and be able to rejoin us in good time.

Congrats on being back to weight bearing! It's been great reading about your recovery from the fall because you've handled everything with such a great attitude and humor. Had it been me I would still be cursing the fridge, the step, my foot, and the slipper. Probably the ground too, just for good measure.

Keep cracking those nuts. Ahem.
 
Thanks Jen!
I do in my darker moments think of getting rid of the accursed slippers .... but they were a present from my wife so perhaps not!
The weight bearing is going VERY WELL:yay:
It's only a couple of days but I know that I'm so much further on this time than last .... I suppose the muscles that were weaker last time (those attached to my broken Trocanter) are good and attached and stronger this time. I have good abductor control and despite the solid quads the leg is all round just stronger. I reckon I'm 2 weeks further on.
This is actually a good object lesson for those who may want to rush things as I've spent 6 weeks mainly just doing those boring exercises but it seems to have paid off.
My missus still won't let me drive tho' :hissyfit: she says that I have to wait until my consultant "signs me off" .... which is next Wednesday .... I can't wait for that independence again!!
I'll keep you up to date....

Charlie
ps I couldn't resist the new avatar pic it's an underwater shot of a pooch chasing a ball..... wow look at those eyes!!
 
Charlie,

I am one of those folks who just does what the doc an PT tell me and I TOO did endless exercises week after week...and I agree they help. I was the also the guy who wore the compression socks for six weeks even tho I was extremely active and getting around. And yes...my family mocks me for this following of orders :sigh:

Glad to hear you are having such positive steps. I wonder if you will be able to quantify progress on the concrete thigh. I'm wondering whether it will be so gradual that you won't really notice it. I'm hoping it swtiches from concrete to quicksand for you soon!

And your avatar is very cute. The pup seems ....uhhhhh....QUITE determined!

Have a lovely day,

Z
 
Hi Charlie,

It is so nice to hear that you are up and about with the walking stick and bearing weight whilst cracking those walnuts!! Keep up the good work and gets lots of naps :sleep:with the heating pad for those quads -- follow what dynamite Deb is telling you.

I back your wife on the driving issue and would encourage her to misplace your keys when she leaves the house after Wednesday's OS appointment... :th_heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi all,

Just back from seeing my Surgeon, everything hunky dory I'm glad to report.:yes 4:

He was delighted at my progress and surprised how strong my leg was and how good my ROM was. He did point out that I had had a pretty big operation which involved a huge piece of metal and of course a shattered femur so didn't expect such progress so soon. He did the normal movement stuff moving my leg this way and that, and then stood me up to check stance etc. he asked me to try and stand on one leg saying " I doubt whether you'll be able to do it as you've only been weight bearing for 5 days but have a go" ..... well he doesn't know me ....but in suggesting I may not be able to do it was the proverbial red rag stimulus! Needless to say I did it!:yay:

We had a look at my X-rays which were amazing! The new prosthetic is super long finishing only about 4 inches above my knee!! There's bits of wire all over the place some around my Trocanter and about half a dozen around my femur.
I hadn't seen the X-ray of my broken femur before but ooooer it was a bad one!!

Anyway I'm off for a drive now my first for a couple of months so if your in the uk around Marlow .....WATCH OUT CHARLIE'S ABOUT!!

Charlie
 
Dearest Charlie,

Congratulations on a successful OS visit and hopefully by now you have returned home from your driving excursion ahhhhhhhhhhh! That was funny to warn everyone that your back.

Sending lots of good wishes and love,

xxooxx
 
Great report, Charlie!
 
Great report from your OS appointment, Charlie! Glad the doc didn't question your ability to stand on your head.... :th_heehee:

Stay grounded -- two feet on the floor and I hope your wife has wrestled the keys to the car back from you.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks for your messages fellow Hipsters!

Funnily enough Cardie I didn't tell you about that but .......:th_heehee:

My lovely Physio "Dynamite Debbie" gave me some new exercises to add on the ones I normally do.... thanks Debs:rolleyespink:
I don't whether any of you do the following but after doing them this morning I was wiped out for the rest of the day .....NURSE!!!
I do:
10x 15 metres "grapevine" (side step foot to front ...side step foot to rear).
10x 15 metres lunges
10x 15 metres side step
10x 10 seconds balance on operated leg on a trampoline or thick foam cushion
10x 10 seconds heel toe marching at fast pace also on trampoline

It's the "grapevine" that does me in and then I've got all the others to do!!!:sigh:
I expect in a couple of weeks I'll be tap dancing and doing the high hurdles and shake Debbie warmly by the hand (at the moment I feel like shaking her by the throat:th_heehee:)

Onwards and upwards ..... have a great weekend1

Love

Charlie
 
Wow Charlie,

You would run circles around me seriously! I'm honored to be surrounded by so many athletic heros and peers!

It's brilliantly you are doing really well and quickly too.

Have a lovely weekend,

xxooxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom