Guest viewing is limited

THR We can re-build him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to work with a Scottish gentlemen who would descibe ugly business situations as " a bit of a pig's breakfast..."

Your "dog's dinner" is a very clear change of pace!
All a question of noms! :th_heehee: (see broken link removed: https://icanhascheezburger.com/)
 
Hey Charlie

Fantastic news, another milestone down.. getting the staples out.

I would like to say full steam ahead, but 'slow and steady' is my mantra as every one knows.

Lots of love Charlie xxx
Sandy (and John)
 
Great news about the staples Charlie. I'm no expert but I can definitely see how moving might seem easier without those staples tugging at the skin.
 
Thanks for your lovely messages!

I saw my Physio (PT) earlier today and she was very complimentary about the progress, which is great. I think my muscles haven't had time to deteriorate much since the original recovery, so are still in goodish condition.

My only real problem is being unable to bend my knee very much! When I try more than six or so inches my quads go into spasm, as solid as a rock!! In fact they seem to be in spasm most of the time, this is due in part to the fracture and part to the prosthesis,
She recommends applying heat to the quads for half an hour or so and then bend as much as possible and repeat.

Anyone out there had a similar problem?

Apparently if this doesn't work I'll have to go down the meds route which I'd rather avoid!

All the best,

Charlie
 
I had that same problem with my knee after one of my earlier surgeries (not THR) to repair my hip fracture. My OS advised that I just ice and elevate for the first six weeks. He recommended not doing anything to try to increase ROM, which he said would improve on its own as I healed. He was right.
 
Thanks for your lovely messages!

I saw my Physio (PT) earlier today and she was very complimentary about the progress, which is great. I think my muscles haven't had time to deteriorate much since the original recovery, so are still in goodish condition.

My only real problem is being unable to bend my knee very much! When I try more than six or so inches my quads go into spasm, as solid as a rock!! In fact they seem to be in spasm most of the time, this is due in part to the fracture and part to the prosthesis,
She recommends applying heat to the quads for half an hour or so and then bend as much as possible and repeat.

Anyone out there had a similar problem?

Charlie

Yes I had lots of quad spasms and knee issues, they actually hurt worse than the surgery and incision right from the start.

I just gritted it out until I could get in the hot tub again then spent an hour a day massaging the lumps out. Finally got it working after several days of soaking.
 
Hi Charlie,
I remember using heat to help calm down various muscles past surgery. Heat should always helps you to stretch out a stiff muscle, self-massage too as John mentions. I think though that you ought to remember that you are really early in your new recovery and, as Alex mentions, just letting the muscles recuperate from the trauma for a few weeks might be the best medicine. Either way you choose to go, please remember to not overdo it. Hoping you feel more comfortable soon.
 
Hi Guys n Gals,

Thanks for those jewels of wisdom!

I had two sessions yesterday with my "Hottie" * then some gentle-ish stretching as my Physio advised. This morning, despite having a couple of really strong spasms during the night, it does feel as though I have more flexibility. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'll keep you posted.

My other exercises are going swimmingly. I can even do straight leg lifts with little or no effort which really surprises me, but as I said before there's such a small time gap between "recoveries", I think that that my muscles haven't had time to weaken .... one dubious bonus I guess!

Charlie
 
Oh my Charlie! I was reading another post somewhere and saw your sig and that nasty little 2nd line about a revision. I could not believe my eyes!! I am so sorry you've been through the wringer the last couple of weeks. But.... you sound really positive (YAY) and like you're doing well albeit the spasms thing. I'm sending GREAT BIG HUGS across the pond to you and lots of wishes for fast healing and recovery.

Take care of yourself!
 
Hi Buffi and thanks for the hugs:blush: ..... don't worry I'm being extra extra careful and my wife has bought a ton of cotton wool which she's layered all round the house just in case!!:loll: Looks a bit like snow!

Love
Charlie
 
Hey gorgeous Charlie, a very big Saturday morning hug from OZ (from me of course, John sends you his manly handshake, heheheh!!)

Sounds like you are doing well. I am Sooo pleased xx

My Acupunturist colleague who has studied with a famous Japanese Master who travels around the world caught me sitting on an ice pack (on my butt incision) the other day and he said 'oh no, you definitely need to be using heat packs if there is no swelling as the cold causes what they call 'blood stasis' which can cause increased scar tissue forming later down the track unknowingly, which in turn has it s own sets of issues... So I use the heat pack at work more now and find it much better..

Just another perspective from another natural medicine modality. Like I said on my own thread, my colleague is sticking me with pins (they are so tiny) which stay in five days to treat my prolapsed discs in my spine and it was like a shot of morphine... Pin in, pain gone... This is day three and still no back pain... He is a very well know Acupunturist here and highly sought after, I am lucky that he is in my team and comes into my office with his kit and checks me out three days a week..

Slow and steady Charlie, you have the wonderful positive attitude to overcome, lots of love always, Sandy xxx
 
Hugs Sandy & an awkward manly pat on the back to John:th_heehee:

The Physio I saw said much the same thing about using ice so it's good to hear it confirmed. I've used my "hottie" a couple of times today and it certainly eases the stiffness so I can increase my knee flex a little ....time will tell.

Good to hear that you're benefitting from the needle treatment I've heard it can be extremely beneficial for some hard to treat ailments.

Have a great weekend

Love

Charlie x
 
Oh Charlie.... I can't believe this has happened to you. :cry: But I am so darn impressed with your positive attitude... :biggrin: You are simply amazing and I'm so glad you're progressing so well. Definitely use heat to get those muscles to relax. Big hugggs and prayers from Pennsylvania!
 
Hiya Charlie

Just catching up, so pleased the heat is helping.. It sure makes a difference to get some relief from something else in between the Meds.

Lots of love Charlie xx
 
Hi Sandy and all hippies out there!

Still doing great, I think I'm at least a couple of weeks further on with this recovery than the last one. I'm able to leg lift and abductor slide very easily. So much so that when abductor sliding I can actually raise my whole leg off the bed by about 9 inches!
The only fly in the ointment is the stiffness in the thigh which is getting slightly better but it's going to take lots of time and exercise and heat to get my knee bending properly.

I see my Physio on Thursday so I hope she'll wave her magic wand again!

All the best (especially to Roger who I think is having his 2nd hip done tomorrow!)

Charlie
 
All the best (especially to Roger who I think is having his 2nd hip done tomorrow!)

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Thanks for that - well remembered :friends:

Can't say I'm looking forward to tomorrow, or the next 10 days (if it's like hip #1) but thereafter - onwards and upwards. At least I have some idea what to expect this time. I was very naive first time around but now can see I have been one of the lucky ones without any complications. Fingers crossed again.

Good to hear that you are making such good progress this time, after your 'little' setback. I hope its steady improvement, without complications, this time.

I'll try and email all is well while I'm in hospital. I only found out on Day 3 (of 4) last time that the wifi worked in all rooms!
 
Hi Charlie......sending love and continued good healing wishes from Dallas!! xxooxx
 
Sorry to cheat on your thread!

Roger wishing you a successful, easy and safe surgery on hip # 2...All the best! Sarah
 
Still doing great, I think I'm at least a couple of weeks further on with this recovery than the last one. I'm able to leg lift and abductor slide very easily. So much so that when abductor sliding I can actually raise my whole leg off the bed by about 9 inches!

Hey, SIx Million Dollar Man ( or should I say 3.8 Million Pound Man?), send some of that super strength my way. My abductors are still laughing when I attempt slides. But really, your progress is wonderful Charlie, especially since it's only been a couple of weeks since the revision.

Add me to the chorus that says some light massage of the quads could be good once the fracture has healed. Sometimes it's helpful to just get in there and manually manipulate the muscle to get it to release the tension.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom