• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[REVISION TKR] Wberry knee is up<

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United States United States
I agree with your surgeon. A good revision should last just as long as an original TKR. It sounds like a wise choice.

kleo

Country
I have been following your progress wberry, as I have almost the same problem as you do. I also saw two surgeons - a younger one who would replace the spacer and an older one (who shows up on lots of "best" lists) who says revision is the only way to go. I'm curious, what made you decide to go with the second one? Im having a hard time deciding.

OP
OP
wberry

wberry

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
The second more experienced surgeon was very frank about the spacer only being a band aid.
He said based on his experience I will have additional issues later. His plan was to change the upper component completely and not only the spacer. He is also trying to fix the patella issue by altering the upper component and the button on the back of the knee cap. He felt a release combined with the looseness I have would not yield a favorable result and lead to looseness again. I kept pulling him back to why just a spacer wouldn't be okay. Every time he was not flustered he patiently explained all the reasons why and what would happen if we just did the spacer.

Bottom line he had answers and good reasons why not to do only the spacer. he also knew about the shape of the upper component issue, he knew about the looseness being more of an issue than the patella and causing the entire joint to be compromised. He also went out of his way to explain every option and the resulting outcome.
He impressed me the most with his experience. If I had never seen the second one I would have gone with the first. He also had taken the time to consult with my original OS on my case, and commented that after his full and thorough exam he felt differently than when he talked to my surgeon about the case.
I also ran it across the folks here just to back check my logic for the choice, and I think we have a good quarum to support it.

OP
OP
wberry

wberry

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
I'll get the brownies made!

Roxie
Yum Yum!! I will be going to Wichita on Sept 10 for my pre surgery appointment. Used the direct to the nurse extension he gave me. I really appreciate all the help you gave. The surgeon in Kansas City was really knowledgable and I liked him. I felt the same about the one in Wichita, but felt the Wichita one, Dr. Papademus, had a lot more debt and knowledge and experience.

OP
OP
wberry

wberry

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
You know how you have those moments when someone does something that really impresses on you they are good at what they do?
That happen several times during my exam yesterday. When the OS first had me walk and listened closely for the clunk, then he bent down, placed his hands on my knee cap and the knee and duck walked as I walked so he could feel and hear what was happening. Then had me hop on the table and moved the knee in ways it made all the clunks and catches and everything I have issues with appear. That was the moment I just knew he was feeling and knowing what I felt and knew.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Pumpkln

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
wberry,
I agree you have made the best decision, the surgeon you selected is ready for any eventuality, from a spacer exchange to a full revision based on what he finds. I can feel your confidence from your posts and am happy you found someone, who will allow you to move forward and reclaim your life.

mytrose43

Country
I may as well put my 2 cents in . I truly believe you have made the right choice go with Dr num 2 Good luck

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
wberry

wberry

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Guess it's time to double up on quad exercises. Restarting my post surgery vitamins also. I hate all the iron, does funny things to my digestive track.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Late to the party here, but I feel great that you feel great about this surgeon. I agree that he sounds like he knows what he's doing and did a thorough exam. :thumb:

OP
OP
wberry

wberry

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Since I will be getting some degree of a revision. What differences can I expect in the recovery. From what I have read here it's just like starting over. Is that 100% true or are there some things that are a little easier because I have been through it before not to long ago?

Angel1978

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Well at beginning of mine. I felt instant relief... The pain was different than with partial. I'm glad your getting a revision. It's hard dealing with pain. It changes us and makes us unpleasant to be with.

Best regards and good luck. Xxx

Birdy

Country
Australia Australia
I see your main concern, and you will be the one make final choice. Yet I was told by my OS that the current technology improved so much basically the TKR will last forever if I don't excessively use it. I m 62 years old and I love gardening, dislike any form of sport or hard labour activities, so I hope my BTKR will accompany me till I fell of the perch. A majority of Bonesmarties were in the age bracket of 55 to 65, I wonder how everyone,s view on this?

Kansas Teacher

graduate
Country
Those are good questions regarding recovery but, since Dr. Pappademos is not sure what will need done until he gets in there, I would think the difficulty or ease of your recovery would depend on what he ends up doing when he gets in there. I am hoping for the easiest possible recovery for you!

Roxie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Martie
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags