Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Second OS visit with Dr. Papademus at Advanced Orthopedic Associates:

Through out this entire post the first doctor is Dr. Scott Wingerter at Dickson-Dively Orthopedics in Kansas City, KS. The second doctor is Dr. Paul Papademus at Advanced Orthopedics Asdociates in Wichita, KS


Well the wait was long, got there early, getting in the exam room 45 minutes beyond my appointment and then waking another 30 min in there. But he is popular. Long wait meant even longer exam. He took the time to read all the records and labs, looked at xrays, then started exam. He thought the alignment and spacing looked great on the xrays. I was told the same by the first doctor. Had me walk first and commented about the clunking. Then I moved to the table and he checked my ROM followed by stability and a lot of pressing in and around the knee. Had me slide to end of table and let my knee dangle and moved it. Commented about looseness. He said all knees after replacement clunk some, but there is more looseness for this point after surgery than it should be. He didn't focus on the patella as much as he did the looseness. I did ask about the lateral release and the contact the patella was making. He said if all we had was that, then he would do that, but the looseness was concerning him more. He did not like the amount of swelling and felt the instability was contributing in a large part. He agreed that contact was being made and he felt removing the button and replacing would be needed. On the spacer, he did not think a spacer would totally fix the looseness. He said in his experience that would be a bandaid and I might have issues later. Of course until he got in there he wouldn't know for sure. He said at worst case he might need to re check alignment, remove the femoral component and adjust to stabilize the knee. Possibly even the lower component. He also said this is preparing me for the worst case.
He planed to get with my OS and talk about my case. He commented he wished I could wait at least a year out, but he understood where I was at.

So now I have two different opinions. One says release patella, trim bone, replace spacer. The other says a spacer replace may not be enough and may require revision of upper component at least to fix looseness. Less of concern about doing a lot to patella beyond correcting and replacing button. I kept bringing him back to the spacer and patella fix and he kept moving off of it as not being enough.

Now the second guy has maybe 10 more years experience. Comparing the two I see a couple differences.

The patella:
1. The first said to trim knee cap and release
2. The second mentioned nothing about trimming and only agreed to release if I didn't have the significant looseness.
The knee joint and components concerning looseness:
1. The first felt spacer should work and said nothing about component revision as possible route.
2. The second didn't think spacer was enough and I would have issues further down the road. He started by recommending femur component change out and spacer while getting realignment right. He also stated it might require lower component depending on what he found. Preparing me for the worst case possibility. He preferred to wait a yeAr before going back in, but with the pain and swelling that might not be feasible.

So now I scratch my head and wonder who is the most right. I did feel the seconds exam was more extensive. And he did have the added familiarity of already talking to my original OS. In the end he planned to call Dr Hodges and discuss my case further. He also got me the number for his nudes direct line so I could get in sooner for the follow up after he conferred. He said he could do the work, but wanted me to understand that once he got in there it could require more extensive work but would know best once he was at that point.


@josiphine @Kansas Teacher @Jamie looks like I have a puzzle to figure out.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Darn, wberry. I was hoping both surgeons would agree so you wouldn't have to muddle through this. I wish I had advice for you but I don't. If you trust your original OS, can you talk with him about your options? Just a thought.

Roxie
 
Ugh! At least the appointment is done. It'll be interesting to see if his approach would be any different after talking to the other OS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Do you mean my original OS or Dr. Wingerter.

It does muddy things. He seemed to think the spacer would not be enough. He did say he was going to talk to my original OS.

I mean the insert was good enough for @skigirl, but if the more experienced surgeon is right then I could be facing another surgery if I do things half measure. This one did say he preferred to fix it all at once and everything rather than half measures or band aids.
If they take the implant out and replace my recovery would be like starting over. I was hoping to do this in September and be recovering through October and on.

I should get on the portal and ask Wingerten also maybe? I just don't know. Bottom line, something has to be done to fix this. At least none said it all looks good and I wouldn't recommend doing anything. That would have really gotten my goat.

Well he did say he would rather do it once and fix it right rather than a band aid. And have to go in again.
He thought maybe only the upper femur component at the least and a insert. He just kept saying this really way to loose and shouldn't move around like that. He also said even though he had spoken to Hodges, after examining me he was uping his assessment that it needed more.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
He did say he was giving you the worst case scenario. It is hard to tell exactly what needs to be done until he gets in there, but he sounds like he's given you the best and worst case based upon his experience. I like that he wants to make sure it's done right the first time instead of taking a "let's try this and see if it works" approach.

It sounds like the patella, while a problem, is not a major concern for getting fixed (even though it's a concern for YOU). I'm sure if he goes in to fix the looseness, he'll check and do whatever corrective action is necessary for the patella at that time. My OS (from the surgery report) was very thorough in checking operation of the knee throughout the process -- I don't imagine this is unusual.

I noticed when my OS checked knee operation, he opted to use a smaller size component in the femur. If your patella is rubbing on the femur component, that sounds like what the second doctor is thinking might be needed, which would also be why he is less concerned about the patella than the looseness. Fixing one may lead to the solution for the other.

From what you've written here, I'm leaning toward the second surgeon.
 
I think it has come down to which doctor you trust because decisions have to be madefor you. I get how difficult this is. I went into my debridement surgery unsure as to whether I'd have the implant when I woke up or an antibiotic spacer. In the end I had to trust my new OS (who I met an hour before the surgery) to make the best decision for me when he got in there. Which surgeon do you trust the most?
 
This is a catch 22 for me. There are aspects of both I like. The second impressed me more with the details and extent of his explanations where very detailed. But that may also be because he was more familiar because the doctor has consulted with him. The other doctor was using past cases as a reference.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The good news is that I think you have two good surgeons to select from. I agree with the others -- it's going to come down to your gut instinct and who you trust the most. Regardless, the rest of us are pulling for you.

Roxie
 
I'm hoping Josephine and Jamie will chime in also. My wife thinks I should get it done soon no matter who I pick.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have to agree with your wife. You've been miserable for awhile now and there's no reason to think that will end until you fix things.

Roxie
 
Well after talking it out and sharing what I read, we are leaning towards the second surgeon.
I still really like the first guy, but the second seem to think with my activity level there would be minor difference in the life of the revision implant, and my original

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is a catch 22 for me. There are aspects of both I like. The second impressed me more with the details and extent of his explanations where very detailed. But that may also be because he was more familiar because the doctor has consulted with him. The other doctor was using past cases as a reference.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum




Wow on second one. Just be careful and don't make wrong desision to require more saugury after revision. Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And I agree with wife. You have been miserable. And have not been able to live like you want to. So I would get it done asap so u can be on recover to pain free life. Best regards and prayers.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds like a good choice given the fact that you definitely want things fixed once and for all! Let me know when your surgery is and I shall sneak some brownies or something in to you!

Roxie
 
I did not chime in yet, as what the heck do I know? But since you seem to have decided, I like the fact that the second guy gave you the worst possible scenario so you would not have unreasonable expectations, but said he would go in looking to do less, if possible. Sounds like he is not claiming to be omniscient about what he will find, and willing to be flexible in his approach. Plus sounds like if you go with him you may have more extensive surgery initially, but you will be done. And back on the road to getting your life back. I am really pulling for you. You got dealt a less than stellar hand, but you did not throw yourself a pity party - you just sought the best solution. Class act, my man.
 
Based on what you have written, if it was my knee I would go with the second surgeon because ..... he has more years experience with revisions and he offered a number of options based on what he may or may not find in your knee. That doesn't mean the first surgeon was wrong, but IF he got into your knee and was faced with all the things the second surgeon mentioned, he may or may not have the depth of experience to deal with them.

This is just my opinion, now.....you need to choose the doctor YOU are most comfortable with.
 
I agree with Jamie. But it's your decision. Good luck!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks to all, I appreciate your input, and i will be using Dr. Paul Papademus. Calling his nurse today to see if i can get a pre-surgery appointment. My main concern was having the implant last, if we have to go that far, the revision idea puts me into thinking a 10-15 year implant and i have to do it again. The surgeon frowned and thought there was no reason the revision wouldn't last as long even with the additional loss of bone. Can anyone chime in on that. No matter, I have to leave it to his best judgement and experience, this is a road I have to travel or live with what I have currently.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom