Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Well I hope everyone had a great weekend. Been raining here last few days, and I always get the sleepier in weather like this. A good rest will set me up for my first day back at work.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks.
Slow and steady it is. Will see OS tomorrow. Hope this popping and looseness is nothing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was told not to use my offloader brace constantly as it weakens the quads so much, so when I heard that I put it away!

Good luck at work today, I'm amazed I woke up easily.


Brenda
 
Well I hope everyone had a great weekend. Been raining here last few days, and I always get the sleepier in weather like this. A good rest will set me up for my first day back at work.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum


Here in Dorset UK windy but sun out so not too bad
Good luck back at work


20/01/2015
 
I only had time to ice once. I wore a knee wrap because I haven't been able to ding the Tommie sleeve local. They kept me busy all morning. Got home and now I'm sitting in a video conference before I head to the OS appt.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can attest that it defiantly did that to me. Y OS only did it because he thought I was going to wait longer than I did.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Okay, had the appointment. He was able to reproduce the sound. He had only a few things to say. First he says the knee cap is ridding I've the joint a clicking also it is catching on some scar tissue. He says my my quads where very week, and that weakness is contributing to the lack of tightness and the feeling of instability. The stronger we can get the quad the more solid a feel I will get. He says there may be som sound, it's metal on plastic and their may be some from time to time. But the key is you no longer have the pain, loss of mobility, and issues I had before. Here is a photo of my X-rays:
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

He is very happy with the alignment and the spacing is right on he says. He gave me three more weeks PT with a request to focus on strengthening the quads and improving balance and general strength in the joint. He also wants me to transition to a club membership and continue to strengthen the knee even after PT. he does not want me to stop exercising it. Said he will see me in six months. He didn't say a thing about my ROM so he must be happy, nothing about MUA might be needed. Said the knee will stay warm for a while. He thought the swelling was looking good. And that it should decrease more with time. He spent a lot of time moving, manipulating the joint, turning and ticking it. He even asked if that was the sound when he reproduced it. He sad there might also be so residual scar tissue and residual healing tissue causing some discomfort below the knee where the plate is, but he felt it wasn't anything to worry about.

So it's not a bad build needling a redo. He even said after it feels more solid your left will feel better and probably not need to have anything done to it for quite a while.
@Josephine if you get a chance could you look at the X-ray and what was said for my own reassurance.
@referee54, what do you think?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The stronger we can get the quad the more solid a feel I will get.
Yep---when my quads were weak I felt quite wobbly.
He gave me three more weeks PT with a request to focus on strengthening the quads and improving balance and general strength in the joint.
Again---I did much the same---quad strengthening exercises as well as balance drills on a BOSU ball and a toss-back net.
 
I think that the sound will go bye-bye---or at least subside significantly---when the quads get stronger, you will be steadier on your feet and you will have better balance---and the muscle mass of stronger muscles will also help to muffle the sounds coming from the metal-on-plastic.
 
What a relief it is to hear that.
Thanks so much for your comments @referee54. You think the X-rays look good? So if he said nothing about my ROM then he isn't concerned about those numbers or they are good enough. I know the PT sent him a report.

What's a toss back net?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And here is a picture of my two knees so you can see the difference in swelling between the non-op and the op on the right. Note the scare status, not to bad.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And here is a picture of my two knees so you can see the difference in swelling between the non-op and the op on the right. Note the scare status, not to bad.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Oops forgot to attach picture
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<


Bigger version of X-ray in case Josephine needs it.

Note also how poor the muscle development is on my right leg verses the left. I have been favoring it for years and wearing that of loader brace for a year before surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
X-Rays look great!!!

I would stand on a BOSU ball---it looks like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<


And I would take a medicine ball and throw it into a bounce-back net:
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
I would toss the medicine ball from over my head, from the left, and from the right to the net, and then catch it when it came back at me. It helped with my balance, my strength, and my proprioception.
 
Back
Top Bottom